Reviving SacredWiki - Looking for help!

Kudos to getting it going again Schot :)

If there's something I can do (I'm wiki code ignorant really)...... but if it's just going thru each pages' code and swapping out some coding...Just let me know and I can provide all the time I can to help out

Yeah... From what I read on the mediawiki home site, incremental upgrades are definitely the order of the day - given you've got so many moving parts working together. Especially since Gogo said that the old server was using PHP 3 or some such. Not sure if that's still a stumbling block or not. Either way, baby steps are always a good idea. That way you can find things as they break and then fix 'em as you go along.

But WTH, you've at least, apparently got some of the prerequisites up and running. Shouldn't take too long, I would think, to get the rest.

Kudos to getting it going again Schot :)

If there's something I can do (I'm wiki code ignorant really)...... but if it's just going thru each pages' code and swapping out some coding...Just let me know and I can provide all the time I can to help out

Actually... That's why man invented "Global Replace" :D

Not so sure any of us can be of much help ATM... Schot is doing this on a virtual computer. It isn't going to be accessible to the outside world... So unless you plan a visit to Canada...

Edited by wolfie2kX

Actually heading to Vermont in the next week or two and my passport is valid, not that much further to go :) Been threatening both of them with visiting for awhile now :P

See I didn't know about global replace hence saying I was wiki-ignorant :dntknw: just saying if they needed anything that I could help with, my time was theirs

Actually heading to Vermont in the next week or two and my passport is valid, not that much further to go :) Been threatening both of them with visiting for awhile now :P

See I didn't know about global replace hence saying I was wiki-ignorant :dntknw: just saying if they needed anything that I could help with, my time was theirs

Next week or two? ACK! That's too long. So what's keeping you from going now? :D

Don't worry about being wiki-ignorant. I'm sure Schot can school you in what you need to know.

So much support, thanks guys!

Rob, Wolfie, loco, steer, this means a lot , and keeps Schot's morale up:hugs:

When the wiki's back up, I know all of us will have little things we want to edit, adjust and re weave...lol I realized how much I loved doing it, and want to just perhaps even do some work on the first Wiki!

We're still asking around for technical help with brad's side of this all, maybe someone out there has some wiki tricks they can send over to us.

:superman:

Well... Look at that.

My first visit in a couple of months of absence, AND... JACKPOT... the wiki works.

Well... it doesn't show a 404 anymore. Great work.

@Flix: Moral support is as neccessary as the work itself. There will always be types of work that can only be done by 1 or 2 people, be it because one wants to keep it confidential or only a very limited amount of people know how it works at all...

As the Sacred series, so far, has not produced a title that holds a vast amount of players continuously over a long period of time (like Morrowind or Jagged Alliance 2), the moral (and sometimes a little finacial^^) support for the people concerning themselves with it, is probably the most important.

Flix and Nighthawk, guys, thanks for the morale!! heh, I love seeing eveyrone thrilled too!. All I keep seeing myself is so so many really wicked fun, easy pages from the original Sacred game I want to boot up and bring up to stats with sacred 2.

Love, hobby, something to do with five minutes of time, and still "own" something that's not a chocolate bar or a milkshake

:)

gogo

Take care of yourself Schot. Neck problems and neck pain can be really hard to deal with and discouraging.

I'm really happy to hear about the progress.

Cheers everyone. Nice to read all the encouragement as I enter unchartered territory. :) A lot of things are going to change with the wiki. At least I think so because I need to bring the software up 10 versions. If I recall correctly, Mediawiki developes quarterly patches a year and full upgrade versions twice a year. We've had the wiki how many years? Haha. All that is to say that when this is all done we'll definitely need help just running through the many wiki pages to see if anything needs cleaning up. Some wiki code may be made obsolete by the upgrades et etc...

Now time for a picture! This is the mediawiki software versions with regards to PHP version compatibility:

mediawiki-compatibility.JPG

So we're at 1.11.0 which is why I needed a PHP 5.2 environemt, as you can see from the picture. What I'm planning to do today is just try and get SaredWiki just to Mediawiki version 1.13. This will allow me to bring SacredWiki back up into it's live environment on our server and continue the upgrading process in it's "native/live" environment. Actually... As I post I think I'll create a backup of a 1.13 version, then try to upgrade up to present day version from my pc and then upload to our host. If that doesn't work then I'll upload the 1.13 version and do the upgrading live... Make sense? Sure hope so!

From what I can tell on my pc, everything is in order and ready to start. Wish me luck!

mucho luck with it today....sure you'll do fine..may your day go as good as mine is going bad

Dual booting an Inspiron 660 and I swear Dell has some software that messes it all up. Doing a clean install now but to my horror I could not find a good 32bit xp OS. So I have to use an old Dell CD I have. Sucks I have to do it but the software for a lot of the gear I have out there won't run on Win7

But anyways best of luck...I know you can do it :D

Omg, these are wonderful news!!! I was about to lose my faith (yeah, blame me for that)!! Thanks so much for your efforts Schot! I'd give you advice on the updates if I could, but I never upgraded a wiki further away than 2 minor updates; 10 versions must be a huge thing! :eek:

Nevertheless, I'm sure we'll be able alltogether to find workarounds for all the bad things we find in our way.

Thank all of you guys for helping in our baby rebirth :)

lol Knuckles. Wanna trade? Haha.

Cheers again gang. Ok. I'm getting into areas that I'm not knowledgable in and I think some of you might be. In regards to running commands. I need to learn how to run commands and the ocean of info our there is messing me up. Specifically... I need to run php commands. I'm running WAMP and I need to run a command line to execute mediawiki patch files. So if anyone understood that I could sure use some guidance. :)

Aaaaaaaaaand... Tada!

wiki113.jpg

The first of a few upgrades is complete and from what I can tell it went smoothly. :drinks: I'd like to run an incremental patch from 1.13.0 to 1.13.5 which is why I'm asking for help with the command line thing. I figure I should learn to do the incremental patching so I can stay on top of updating. After that I think 1.16 will be the next leap. It looks as though I'll have to do some database tweaking before I can get past 1.16. The sacredwiki database may need a character set and coalation conversion before moving past 1.16 which from what I've read sounds complicated...

Goodnight!

Well, 1.13.0 sounds good enough for today! :D

About php commands, if you need to run a php script you can type "php myfile.php" in the command line; that will run the whole script. Another way would be running it through a web browser, if the folder is reachable through http. Let me know more details if you're still in need of help with this!