The RWBY thread...

Heyyy, glad someone else is pretty interested in RT stuff! :D I was a little miffed at episode 2 being super short and much more of a filler, but I can see that they are going for the RvB style of story-telling, which I'm perfectly fine with. Plus, nothing ever goes wrong with Monty Oum fight scenes :P

• Like! 1

We're not exactly alone. Aegis posted all of the RWBY trailers and a few of the other vids associated with the song in the "Currently Listening To..." thread.

I think the old adage about things in moderation is usually a good thing. Especially when it comes to Ruby going gaga over weapons and such.

I don't think this chapter was all that much filler - more of an introduction to the rest of the main characters - Weiss and Blake, as well as "Vomit Boy..." Gotta luv that name.

We learned a bit about dust, and that Ruby is a weapons making genius as she made Crescent Rose (her scythe).

All in all, the episode wasn't all that disappointing - but yeah, I was left wanting more. But then again, that's just good entertainment - there's an old saying about "leaving them wanting more..."

Yeah.. well.. it wasn't that hard to get me interested. Come on - Ruby and her scythe... EPIC slicing and dicing of the werewolves..

And Yang... Her "handling" of Junior was quite amusing. She seems to be quite a pistol as well.

White and Black's trailers were well done also.

There was one part of Ruby's trailer that reminded me of an episode of Bleach. One of the characters on that series has a sword that when you touch it, it doubles the weight of whatever it hits. When that sword is released, it kind of resembles a scythe. He got one baddy around the throat with his sword and you can guess the outcome... Pretty much what the outcome Ruby dealt the werewolf.

I was having a conversation with a friend about the series, and he mentioned that some of the trailers were longer than the episodes themselves :ninja2:

My problem (and RvB had this at the beginning as well) is that trying to introduce characters in a 5 minute episode is difficult. Once they are established and the story takes a firm foothold, I feel like we are in for a HUGE treat :D

RWBY is full of nods to anime. Ruby herself at times had Black Rock Shooter mimicking going during the red trailer. I believe there was a FMA easter egg in the pilot episode as well. The series is not ashamed of the fact that it is an American made anime influenced heavily by anime itself, and I like that a lot. :D

And, yeah, it is true Ryan that the second episode is either around the length of the trailers or shorter. Well, RvB ended up a classic with ten seasons after those short intros, so I also expect RWBY to get real good as it progresses.

Edited by Aegis
  • Like! 1

And, yeah, it is true Ryan that the second episode is either around the length of the trailers or shorter. Well, RvB ended up a classic with ten seasons after those short intros, so I also expect RWBY to get real good as it progresses.

+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Btw... In the opening episode's big battle scene - where Ruby follows Roman up to the roof and the Huntress Glynda Goodwitch comes to save her bacon - did anyone notice the Sacred 2 style attacks she used?

Seems to me there was a Raging Nimbus followed by Glacial Thorns thrown in...

The baddie on the plane with Roman appears to be more of a fan of the pyro aspect.

Not saying they're stealing from Sacred 2... Just maybe borrowing..

• Like! 1

For those out there who might be interested in Monty Oum's other works besides RWBY, he produced a series on YouTube called Dead Fantasy...

Dead Fantasy is a mashup of fight game characters doing what they do - fighting. Something, I think, Aegis, is right up your alley.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO8RxVCMrUo

This is a conglomeration of the 1st 6 episodes...

The description says this includes characters from Final Fantasy, Dead or Alive and other similar games.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Understatement of the year. ;)

Dead Fantasy was the first series from Month Oum I watched, followed by Haloid. It was the one time I thought Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive were truly cool, considering Square-Enix milked FF to death while Dead or Alive and most things Team Ninja (save for the bounciness, of course) wasn't my thing as far as fighting games go. What initially started with girls from two different franchises beating the snot out of each other gradually turned into some semblance of a story. I stopped following the series simply because he never continued it, which was too bad.

Oh, let's not forget this little number:

• Like! 1

Dead Fantasy was the first series from Month Oum I watched, followed by Haloid.

I'm jealous that you started with Dead Fantasy, I feel like I would have been even more mind blown when I saw it for the first time. My Monty progression was RvB, Dead Fantasy, RWBY, and assorted looks at his other productions in between there. I had no idea who he was because those RvB scenes, and I HAD to go and find out who did that. He's just incredible :)

RvB was more of the later seasons as far as Monty Oum's work goes, but hey, not like starting with RvB was a bad thing. ;) Apparently also had a brief stint in videogames before deciding to focus on animation. Look no further than Afro Samurai for his game stuff. :-) When it comes to over the top fight scenes, Monty Oum is king. :D That, and dancing hotties...

Apparently also had a brief stint in videogames before deciding to focus on animation. Look no further than Afro Samurai for his game stuff. :-)

That is actually one of the most ridiculous things I've seen :4rofl: I remember seeing Haloid and being so impressed because he somehow took like the most random things possible, and pulled them together into something epic. :ninja2:

Yeah.. He's got a really wild imagination. He's got a page on Deviant Art's site - and I must say he's got a LOT of interesting art there as well. This one is pretty SMOKIN' HOT...

One side note.. I have some serious doubts as to the people who post on YouTube... For instance, on the 4th trailer, there are a lot of comments that Yang went "super saiyan"... Er.. No. This has nothing to do with Dragonballs...

On the Black trailer there are a number of people posting how she's got ears on top of her head or some such - and she's not human. On Deviantart's site, Monty posted a number of "turnarounds" which are kinda like the thing in Sacred 2 when you're picking a character - you can use the controls to rotate them 360 degrees - except on the web, there are no controls.

Anyhow... the thing on top of Blake's head - is a big black BOW... and you can see that here. Her quite normal human ears are exactly where they should be. She is not some female Inuyasha.. Sheesh.

At this point - after all of 18 odd minutes worth of series - we just don't know very much about anything yet. I say let's wait and let Monty tell us what's going on...

At this point - after all of 18 odd minutes worth of series - we just don't know very much about anything yet. I say let's wait and let Monty tell us what's going on...

I think many people are not able to wait IMO, and enjoy speculating tons of different theories (serious or not) about what might be coming. I try not to read Youtube comments AT ALL...I swear my IQ goes down on anything besides the Top Comments :P

Edited by Ryanrocker

I make it a point to avoid YouTube comments and YouTube fan theories as much as possible just because I get stupider every time I see those things. I'm not even that smart to begin with, so...

*occupies self with more Samus and Master Chief/Chick action*

• Like! 1

As Ryan mentioned - Episode 3 was released today on www.roosterteeth.com

It's another short episode - "part 2" of last week's ep...

Weiss cracked me up - "Dust for Dummies" :D

I really enjoyed this episode, it was pretty full of good one-liners and character personality :)

It's Thursday again..! That means, of course, a new episode of RWBY will be debuting at 7pm Central Daylight Time!

Set those alarms!

Also available 5pm CST for sponsors! :D

Edited by Ryanrocker