The RWBY thread...

So now we get a bit of background on Blake, and to some extent, Weiss. Blake is a catgirl. ^^ Weiss' family has been in constant war with White Fang, thus Weiss' own discrimination against faunas. And Blake, being a faunas in hiding and likely suffered her share of discrimination, certainly took of fence to Weiss' insults. With the way Blake revealed her secret, everyone in the room thought she was a White Fang. Oh, and we have monkey boy. :P This one is ten minutes long, so while slow, it was a much easier episode to get into thanks to the length.

With Blake's secret revealed,the Black trailer makes a little more sense. Adam may turn out to be a faunas himself, and his attitude towards the passengers in that train pretty much imply his own discrimination against humans. Next episode... I guess more revelations. I think it's supposed to be the season finale.

Edited by Aegis

Yeah... Kinda had a feeling she wasn't quite the same as everyone else - based on the lyrics of the trailer. Now we know WHAT the differences are.

And of course, leave it to Monty to leave the season off with a major cliffhanger.. GRR Ah well. Looking forward to season 2.. whenever that will be.

Not so sure bout that.

2 weeks ago, they said there wouldn't be one last week - and that the last 3 eps would be rolled into one long one. And I think that is exactly what it was.

I am certain that they mentioned it will be two long episodes, especially since it looks like they still intend for first season to be 16 episodes long, and last week was number 15. Also, this does not feel like a proper finish if they're aiming for a cliffhanger to the next season. But we shall see.

Oh come on.. EVERYBODY loves a good cliffhanger to end the season.

This is a well known tool invented waaay back in the 1970's with Dallas - the original version, not the "next generation" version on TNT.

Back in the day, Dallas was a sucky nighttime soap opera with lots of people hopping from oil field to oil field (and of course, bed to bed). BUT. I believe for their first season - they had a cliffhanger - WHO SHOT JR? It went from relative obscurity to MUST WATCH TV. Everyone was talking about it. It was like the whole country went nuts with stupid theories as to whodunit.

It kinda drove me nuts having to go thru the off season listening to everyone blather on about it. I watched maybe 10 mins of the entire series and thought the whole thing sucked and moved onto something better. My thought on the subject - they were a lousy shot cause they didn't kill him and the stupid show off.

The point is - the ratings for the season opener in the following September went thru the roof.

Since then many TV shows have done the same sort of thing - ended a season on a cliffhanger - just to guarantee the next season's audience.

In truth, Monty seems to be a bit overly fond of this plot device with the way he cuts his episodes into odd lengths. 15 mins, down to 5 mins, up to 7 mins, back down to 4 mins, etc... Each one done in a way to drive us viewers NUTS trying to figure out what's gonna happen next.

Yes, good cliffhangers to end a season are the norm. Key word: good. We got left off on a so-so cliffhanger, not a good one, at least not one worthy of a season finale. The only thing I can say about that ending is that you aren't left hanging the way the four minute episodes left you, namely "wth". Meanwhile, Jaune's dancing can't be any worse than Miley's twerking, so I approve. :P

Edited by Aegis

And episode 16 has come and went, thus officially ending the first season. No surprise that not only the monkey boy is named Sun Wukong, but that he also fights with a staff. Anyone who knows the story of the monkey king, or hell, even Dragon Ball, shouldn't be surprised. On the other hand, that staff is cool, seeing as it splits into a pair of nunchukas and can fire bullets. :P

No shock and surprise, Blake was a former White Fang disenchanted by what they've become. A tad miffed over how 'quickly' Weiss changed her stance at least in regards to Blake. Twelve hours is still not quite enough to get rid of as much prejudice as she had.

Wondered when Torchwick not only return, but to fight against Blake and Son. And he was pretty formidable. More freaky, however, was that tagalong, Penny, from last episode. We knew she was an android, many expected to kick butt. I didn't expect to see a hundred flying swords. She was pretty much an army unto herself. And if I understand things correctly, she is Ozpin's creation. Also, 'the queen has pawns'.

The finale pulled a page from Marvel, and had an epilogue after the closing credits. So we get to see the face behind that fire lady from the first episode, along with two other characters. Turns out Torchwick was the lackey in their relationship, too.

15 minutes long, and a proper cliffhanger to sink your teeth into. I truly hope roosterteeth gives us at least ten to fifteen minutes like episode 15 and 16 moving forward, because for the sake of immersion, it made all the difference. I can live with biweekly releases if that be the case. Also, I like end theme.

Welp, while the season may have ended, still some more goodies after, namely the soundtrack has been released. Here be the track list for the vocals:

The full version of Red Like Roses Part II is quite different and paints an even more complicated background. And the standalone version of I Burn feels like a much more complete song than the trailer version. Listening to the album version of From Shadows at the moment just to compare it to the trailer version.

Nice find..!

My only issue - some of the comments posted IN the video - like "this will be your grave if you don't buy this on iTunes.." Not very funny, nor much of an incentive to buy the music.

Speaking of which... The music tracks are indeed expanded versions of all of the original songs. Interestingly "I Burn" has a 2nd verse and a rather... NSFW rap part omitted (probably for the best since they mention Marvel Comics characters that have NOTHING to do with RWBY)...

Hmm Interesting.. There's some GOLD to be mined in those videos as well. In track 8, "I May Fall" there's a part starting about 3:11 into the video that has footage NOT used in Season/Series 1! Shows Blake holding a blade to Torchwick's throat, followed by a battle that has Boop Girl using some rather interesting new moves..

It also seems Jeff Williams is also a fan of DragonBall Z.. In track 10, the "I Burn" remix, there's actually lyrics posted for the 2nd verse - and we find out why it was cut from the series and trailers. There's a line in there about her going Super Saiyan (which actually some reviewers mentioned her doing in the YouTube comments on the original trailer... Yeah, I know.. YouTube comments... Lol).

The big surprise is track 12.. Don't recall hearing that anywhere in the series..

Track 12, as in 'Wings'? That one should be the ending theme for the season finale. I found myself listening to that song far more than I expected.

EDIT: Rereading your post, I get the feeling you have yet to watch episode 16, which is the season finale. Those scenes mentioned in the 'I May Fall' video are from that episode, along with the ending theme, Wings. Also made a quick review of that episode a couple posts up, to which I forgot to mention one other thing was I wished the finale included was Adam. That would've really made for an interesting cliffhanger. :D

Edited by Aegis

Aside from a reminder from me to watch episode 16 (GO! WATCH! AWESOMENESS!)... you'll notice within the track list two versions of Red like Roses Pt. II, one being the actual full version (which is made awesome by the fact it is a duet between Casey and her mother), and the episode mix. Someone managed to combine the two together here:

Ah.. I know why I didn't recognize that.. Was having problems with IE... DOH! And wound up getting distracted toward the end there. Had something come up and I forgot to rewind and watch the relevant parts again.

Ah well. My bad for not doing so.

OK. Found something completely different and yet, not off topic..

Here's the JAPANESE version of the opening theme music...

Go figure.. LOL

Edited by wolfie2kX

Here's another alt version of I Burn done by CDanielART..

I like his versions better than most as he puts quite a bit more effort into producing his videos than some. He got lyrics, video footage from the series and/or trailers, plus some cool looking effects.

I also appreciate the sound quality on his vids. The music pops out that much more without the noise.

After listening to those tracks, I find myself more partial to the non-remix version of I Burn. Slower paced than the remix or the trailer version, but much more edgier. I even liked the NSFW rap part, and I'm no fan of rap.

• 2 months later...

Actually.. there's a gal who did a pretty bang up job for cosplay.. There's a video on YouTube on how she did it..

OK.. OK.. So it doesn't fold up automatically, fire rounds, nor does it cut demons in half. BUT it would look pretty cool hanging on your wall.. :)

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1
  • 5 months later...