So I've Never Played Sacred...

Also look out for vampiress runes with +life leech on them, and battle mage ones with +XP on them. In S1, using other classes' runes can pay off (and the life leech from vampiress runes affects magic damage as well in S1, not just weapon damage). It's a bit lazy, but building up your life leech early on can lead to a nearly unkillable character with the right CAs.

Gust of wind with life leech...oh, the good old days...and that's the thing I missed the most when I changed from S1 to Sacred 2: life leech on spells...

• Like! 1

After all those years I'm still not certain which game I liked more.

S1 gave me a lot of enjoyment in the MP servers, especially the helpfulness of the players after a char died. Getting gold, items and gear to cover the first 10-15 levels wasn't a real problem. As long as you returned the gesture that was.

Two of my most enjoyable chars were a No-sets Glad I worked at; which managed to get to level 160+ by using a lot of unique items and most important: DW'ing Thain's axes, upgraded with a Faldamar's ring.

The other one was my pyro-BM, which was most likely the reason why I regret never have started a BM before. This guy used full flame-cloak as protection and to lure opponents to a central spot, combined with Ring of Fire once I had gathered a large group of monsters around. Combined with LL that spell was a real lifesaver. :D

I was part of the Sacred 2 beta-team, so I've been there when the game got developed and I was there when the sad news about Ascaron got out. In fact, us beta-testers were informed some time before it became official, because it also would affect the tests itself. However, because of being part of the beta-team, I wasn't really able to play MP as I did in S1. By the time I was, the servers already began to run empty for several reasons, like the bad critics of players, the servers being split between an European / International group and a North-American group.

It all was for me a reason to abandon the game for a while, although over the past years I have been playing it again. And again I've been playing the Seraphim, HE (magic) and surprisingly the Dryad the most as the other classes didn't appeal me. I'm guess I'm just behind the rest when it comes to that. :P

So, all in all I've played about an equal time with both games, I've enjoyed both and once in a while I start either one of them up to have some hours of old fashioned fun.

And the only thing I can say about both games is that they both had their good things and their bad things, but that they're still a lot better games when you compare it to a lot which is made these days.

Thorin :)

• Like! 1
  • 4 years later...

Whisky, have you had a chance to compare how fast the difference is tween both the games? Sacred is just plain faster... arcade style...I always liked that about the original game... yes perhaps the second game had more depth, but the first one was so exciting.

:)

gogo

• 2 months later...

Sacred 2 in my opinion had four major problems for me.

1. Colors were too vibrant (grass). At the time I didn't have a monitor which reduces the vibrancy. It also didn't help that UI had small icons and somewhat blue-ish transparent window on top of the very vibrant scenery. I personally am a fan of Vibrant colors and mods of Vibrancy for various games, but in Sacred 2 it gave away the sense of plastic scenery. I am familiar with the concept of Vibrant colors for Fantasy-oriented games and I personally enjoy that, but here it was just too much and a lot of it. Especially the grass...ugh...
sacred2.jpg

2. UI and font issue. The font was so small even on lower resolutions. I had to REALLY dive into the monitor if I wanted to see what the heck it says. And new icons. And not really clear fonts. It was a nightmare to deal with. 
iyCubO8.gif

3. Camera was way up too close and fixed in a wonky 3rd person view. I needed to see more ahead but I couldn't since the panning is in a weird 45degree fixed positioning. Like a weird 3rd view that's trying to be a Bird's view, but essentially would adore to be a first person view. The camera argues with itself the most. Another issue was the FoW (fog of war) which was constantly in front of the toon at all times. 
Maybe there are some mods to go over this, I don't know, never really bothered... : / 

4. Skills. Ok, this you either adore or dislike. I don't think that you can be in between after seeing the skills in this game. They are unique alright, but are made to be a bit TOO unique for certain classes (and OP at that). I'm not sure if it's just me, but for instance the spell for the necromancer is to raise up to three-four-five skeletons at the time and just watch them obliterate everything around. An interesting spell. Broke my game couple of times and had a couple of CTDs. More so than in Sacred 1.

I'm also a die-hard Sacred 1 fan. It's just an overwhelmingly better game in my opinion and best in series of two Sacred games (heh). 

Both games have different draws for me... The one thing that really got me addicted to the Sacred was it's uber fast CA executiong... Fireballs could be fired so quickly...in fact combos, spells anything... it more akin to old school style arcade, and Sacred 2 could never really get that feel forme... cept for the the zipy fast Blow Darts of Dryad... when I saw that ca execute I fell in love with it

:)

ggo

• Like! 1

I entered the Sacred world via Sacred 2 on PS3, before switching to PC for I&B.  After Closed shut down, I picked up S1 on GOG.  To put it bluntly, I'm glad I started with Sacred 2. Had I started with S1, I'd have never bought another Sacred game.

To each their own...

• Like! 1
On 27/1/2018 at 8:16 PM, lujate said:

I entered the Sacred world via Sacred 2 on PS3, before switching to PC for I&B.  After Closed shut down, I picked up S1 on GOG.  To put it bluntly, I'm glad I started with Sacred 2. Had I started with S1, I'd have never bought another Sacred game.

To each their own...

S1 on GOG seems to be somewhat different than any other version I have played.

Different loading screen/logo, noticeably smaller non-fullscreen window and.. for some reasons.. it does not let one to join Game Servers started with Steam/Retail version of the game, despite claiming to be fully patched up to 2.28. 

I wonder if you had the same experience.

---

To be on topic: Sacred Underworld  >>> Any other Sacred, I too like Gogo appreciate its arcade style, but I must say it's the people that keep me playing it.

Edited by Patroclo Picchiaduro
  • Like! 1