In Search of New Recipes - Cool Yet Flavourful

Hi there. I'm in search of recipes to fit my limited (no hot spices, seafood, nor mushrooms) palate.

I've tried to limit my gluten to bread and the occasional hamburger... so most will not be very gluteny.

Things I've recently tried and found delicious are:

Inspired by a visit to a Greek restaurant:

1) Lemon Potatoes (with canola oil, finely minced garlic, squeezed lemon juice and thyme)

A soup high in flavour and fibre:

2) Homemade veg soup ("healthy" vegetarian soup powder, drained and rinsed cans of {mixed beans, lentils}, can of crushed tomatoes, some dried peas, 1 head of cauliflower chopped up, diced carrots, and a few quartered thin skin potatoes). Just put all the ingredients in a slow cooker. Top up with water (put a tray below the slow cooker to catch any boil over--just in case). Put in a bay leaf (from the big cheap package, not the small expensive jars) Cook for 4 hours on high, and overnight on low. Serve some, remove from slow cooker. Save the leftovers for days...

A soup rich with garlicy goodness (and umami: from the meat ant the tomatoes, yum!)

3) Meat soup: (either {stewing beef + liquid beef soup stock}or ground beef), minced garlic, finely chopped sweet onion (they are honking huge, so maybe use half?), can of drained and rinsed beans (your choice), small can of corn niblets, dimed carrots, can of crushed tomatoes, lentils or dried peas for thickening. Bay leaf to improve the flavour. Salt to taste (recalling that there is salt in the liquid beef stock and that you can add salt to a dish but not remove it...). Cook a dook. Serve. Enjoy!

Roast Beef with Vegables

4) Get a roast (when on sale). Pre-heat your oven to 350F. Mince garlic. Use a small bowl to mix garlic and oil and salt. Smear roast with your clean bare hands. Let that marinade in your roast bowl. Peel and quarter your potatoes. Place in a large (veg) bowl for later marinading. Peel and dime carrots, put in your veg bowl. Mince an onion (I like the big sweet onions), put in veg bowl. Coat the vegetables with the oil mix. Place veggies in bottom of roast pan. Put the roast on top. Pour rest of oil mix in bottom of pan. Add 1/2 cup water to bottom of roast pan. Cover with lid. {If you don't have a roast pan, then use aluminum foil with the shiny side in to make a steam trap. } The idea is to trap juices inside for tender meat and vegables. Bake for as long as the internet says you should that much meat. Test with a sharp knife to make sure the meat has reached your desired level of cooking. Let the meat and vegables rest for 20 to 30 minutes before eating. {Resting means they sit on the counter out of the oven, still sealed up--allows them to continue to cook and prevents juices from being squished into the middles of things}. Eat them up! Yum!

Steamed Salmon

5) When on sale, buy either a honking huge salmon fillet, or a headless salmon. Make sure it is wild, not farmed (for lower levels of toxins). Pre-heat the oven to 350 if using a glass pan. Mix some dried spices (I read the small bottles in the supermarket that tell you what dishes to use a particular spice in--then I buy the bulky packages that give you much more spice and are cheaper than the bottles) with oil. Coat the salmon with the oil mix. Place in tin foil (dull side out). Squeeze a lemon over the salmon. Cover in domed tin foil. You want to make a dome to trap steam... Put some oil in the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1.5 hours. Test the meat with a fork (it should flake, and there should be no blood). Let rest. {I served this with lemon potatoes. Wow!}

I was wondering if anyone had any vegetable ideas specifically... ;)

Edited by FrostElfGuard

Got something I made last night... It might not quite be exactly what you're looking for, but some of the offending bits can be left out.

I call this a Goat Cheese Alfredo sauce.

First, start with a tiny bit of roux made from 1 Tbs of flour and 1 Tbs of butter. This should be very lightly cooked until it turns a blondish yellow color.

Thinking it's not too high in the gluten count - and if you want, you can use corn starch in place of the wheat flour... You may need to play with it a tiny bit to see if this works as well.

You'll also need the following:

2 slices of bacon chopped into bits

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 jalapeno, seeded and deveined, chopped finely. (1 large will do)

4 oz of mushrooms (Crimini, sliced thin, and optional)

8 oz of "half and half" (50% milk, 50% cream)

4 oz goat cheese, crumbled into small bits

4 oz frozen peas

4 oz frozen carrots (or 8 oz frozen peas and carrots).

1 clove of garlic, crushed.

2 Tbs of parmesan cheese, grated.

Salt and pepper to taste

You'll need a small frying pan and a large one.

In the small frying pan, take your 1 Tbs of butter and melt it gently and carefully. When it's melted, dump in your 1 Tbs of flour (or cornstarch). Stir the two to blend them into a paste. On very low heat, carefully toast the roux until it's slightly toasted and a sort of blonde color. Remove it from the heat and set aside.

In the large frying pan, take the chopped bacon and on low heat, cook it until some of the fat renders out. Add a Tbs or so of olive oil to the bottom of the pan. Add the chopped onions and jalapeno and cook until the onions are clear and glossy. (If you're adding mushrooms, this would be the time to add them as well.) Stir frequently so everything cooks evenly.

Add the frozen peas and carrots to the pan and cook a min until they're thawed. Keep stirring the pan to keep things cooking evenly.

When everything is mostly cooked, add in the 1 clove of crushed garlic. Toss quickly and then immediately add the half and half, stirring as you go. Bring it back up to temperature by turning up the heat slightly.

Dump in the goat cheese and stir to let it melt into the sauce. Add in the parmesan cheese and stir well.

Lastly, it's time to add the roux. Stir to mix the roux into the sauce until it dissolves. The sauce should then thicken a bit. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed or desired.

Serve over gluten free (or regular) pasta or on a baked potato (instant loaded baked potato) or anywhere else you can think of.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Sometimes our kids bring friends with them who stay for lunch. 2 of them are allergic to gluten. Sometimes we do 'Kartoffelpizza' for them.

We have always some not eaten potato leftovers. We put them together with raw potato in a grinder and use vacuum boxes to store the mix in our cool room (deep ramped clay cellar with a temperature of always between 5 and 9 Celcius).

This mix is a kinda universal 'fast food'. YOu can use it for potato dumpling, potato pancakes, fried potato crocettes and for the mentioned Pizza.

Just replace the pizza dough with the mix for the potato dumbings. do a thin layer on a baking plate, 15 minutes (depending on thickness) into the oven, then put the tomato, bacon, basilico, garlic on, and again in the oven.

132234-420x280-fix-einfache-kartoffelpiz

In germany you can buy something like our mix as Kloßteig (halb und halb), dough for dumplings- half raw, half boiled.

422598_REWE-Frischer-Klossteig_xxl.jpg