Women and Gaming

Oh, Anita. She's gained a lot of hatred for her criticism of the hyper-male-centered video game industry. Some of the info is appalling to hear, like how many game ideas are shot down or just never even considered because they involve a female in a prominent (non-sex object) or powerful role.

The Creepy Cull of Female Protagonists

(Note: You may find Jim Sterling insufferable, I happen to think he's hilarious).

And when Anita starts lining up all the games that follow the "tropes," it starts to feel just ridiculous, like there's just no chance for women in games.

But yeah, after a certain point, the hyper-feminist perspective starts to feel a little ridiculous as well. The "damsel in distress" and "sexy woman" became tropes because they're relatable and in some senses universal, if ultimately played out, shallow, and way too pervasive.

Interesting topic Ysne. One that pops up on every game forum eventually.

• Like! 1

Well, because all of sudden, I'm seeing a whole bunch of stuff all over the internet on this topic.

It is related to trolling - which almost never happens here by the way. Poplular Science just shut down its comments section earlier this week.

Trolling is the broader issue though.

• Like! 1

The trick is keeping the discussion civil. Much easier to here and over at a couple of other forums I frequent than some of the really huge ones.

I've read that both You Tube and GameSpot are working on changes that will allow comments to keep going but eliminate the trolling.

Discussed with this my wife and daughters:

The old CRPG's had a nice mixed party on their covers. But they had their time when people played more pen and paper than nowadays. I remember my pen and paper times with boys and girls nearly equally in numbers.

Also the clothes were more realistic: only 10% of the skin covered? The Dungeonmaster would probably have some rolling the dices to cast with frozen fingers at a cold night. So the hero's at the computer RPG's were dressed in a manner the pen and paper players would have dressed their characters.

These half naked characters popped up when the RPG's were less turn based but fully animated and in high resolution.

Anyone remember the naga priestess in one of the Wizardries decades back? There was a nipple-gate even before the superbowl one. But what was the old nipple gate: a stopmotion 400*400 image with the nipple being a pixel or two.

Saw

and feel it somehow relates to this discussion. If nothing else, it will add a it of humor. Personally, I know there are a lot of female gamers out there. I got two of them started myself. My older daughter is too bogged down in every day reality to be able to game any more but my younger daughter and I still try to get together on coop games regularly.

Sorry about the commercial lead-in to the video. Most I've found on YouTube have them now.

ROFL. Here are some of my favorite comics on the topic:

armor1.jpg

48Xntme.jpg

449a24f4488de31e54e2f80fc61d7843.jpg

• Like! 1

Always liked this spoof

Always thought gaming was dominated by males 15-35yrs old. Didn't realize that female gamers are almost the same percentage. You would think there would be more games catering to them. I know sex and violence sells and the market is going to make what sells. I just don't like when someone knocks one type of game to promote theirs

my kiddo plays everything from CoD to Minecraft to browser trivia games.

2. Not all women object to risque clothes.

Not all women look good in risque cloths, that doesn't stop some of them from wearing them.

Of course, the same can be said for some of the atrocious things men wear as well.

Edited by Spock

2. Not all women object to risque clothes.

Not all women look good in risque cloths, that doesn't stop some of them from wearing them.

Of course, the same can be said for some of the atrocious things men wear as well.

Being a female gamer I rarely have issue with female attire in video games, where else can you have a perfect body that can wear any outfit and look good 100% of the time (without working at it). I must admit tho, I would never regularly dress that way in real life :P

• Like! 1

I don't have a problem with female armor, my problem is with the male attire. Why can't men have sexy armor , too? The comic strip's right, both genders should have the same armor. Females should get full plate armor if they want. But males should be allowed.... I don't know how to put links on here. I think the Shadow warrior should have the right to a bare chest, like the Dragon Mage does. I'm thinking big ole sinister looking demon skull shoulder pads and gauntlets, bare arms, and one of those little rope deals across the chest like gladiators had. I totally respect that some women are tired of having sex symbol female characters in games, but I think we need more big ole brawny bare chested males in games, too. Yeah, if ever venturing to the Gilberticus homestead, you might want to text first, Jennifer is a fan of upper body clothes, but I am not

• Like! 1