Mod: New Dragon Mage Sets [In Development]

Flix

What should is say except for "!!!wow!!!"!?

This is really impressiv and I really love how it finally turned out. Looks fantastic and completely in line with the Sacred flair but also well matured.

I'm dearly looking forward to get this added to my game!

Cheers for all the great work!

• Like! 1

Thanks a lot.

Updated progress report! I changed around a few modifiers and set bonuses. Everything's pretty much complete now (!), there's just a couple things left to do. I want to try to add some flames/fire effects to Chaoskampf, and I need to do one final test of everything in-game.

As a bonus, I also added a new small all-class set, Eternal Return, consisting of two rings. See the bottom of the first post for details.

To whet your appetite, here are some action shots of Auspicious Powers in action! Note in pic #5 that there's the image of a long-horned, glowing eastern dragon on his back!

DXfJGth.jpg

e9Id2BC.jpg

cGVkbgw.jpg

rBbWPRW.jpg

rMejOuB.jpg

hINdH7b.jpg

• Like! 1

I was just wondering how large the %LL value is on the ring? And how likely it is to drop? Because a ring with %LL could be socketed everywhere making for potentially ridiculous levels. I wonder if swapping it for the set bonus would make more sense? That means you can make the value a little higher if it's low and it also can be used to replace any of the sets with %LL as the final bonus opening up other possibilites for gearing.

• Like! 1

Yeah, you're right. It's too hard to balance on a ring. There's a reason that modifier doesn't appear on any jewelry. To make it low enough where stacking it isn't OP, it's too low. To make it high enough to be worthwhile, it allows to be waaaay OP when it's stacked.

I'm changing it to flat Life Leeched per Hit instead. Leech Life % is being moved to Bashe's Voracity.

Edited by Flix

Sounds good, will give the DM a way to get it on gear too :) I do like the idea of a mini set that isn't class specific awarding %LL as a (the only?) bonus. As I was saying that would mean that for example you wouldn't have to use full deth's on a dryad and could focus on other modifiers. Although a low value would be best I think...

• Like! 1

Sounds good, will give the DM a way to get it on gear too :) I do like the idea of a mini set that isn't class specific awarding %LL as a (the only?) bonus. As I was saying that would mean that for example you wouldn't have to use full deth's on a dryad and could focus on other modifiers. Although a low value would be best I think...

Hmmm...I think I've got a good mini-set in mind for that.

This one's for you Dragon Brother. :)

Ul8m3QN.jpg

zH33n1U.jpg

jM3Spyb.jpg

Leech life % bonus seems a little low to me? Let me know what you think.

A small testing update: the great news is that the jewelry is dropping and working just great, both from the above new set (Tooth and Nail) and from the Eternal Return set.

I've had problems with the armor dropping all day but I finally figured out the problem: the itemtype numbers were too high -- apparently skipping numbers is allowed but there is a limit (and 14000 passed it). Anyway, now everything is dropping and seems to be working perfectly!

The bad news is that I don't think the current release actually works...the mutation set...won't actually drop because the game doesn't recognize the itemtype #. I tested thoroughly before release, but at the last minute I changed the itemtpye numbers to be slightly higher to avoid any possible conflict with new items added in the CM Patch. I never imagined that that would throw the whole thing out of whack. So, ah, %$@#!. Sorry to whoever downloaded it and has been looking for Draco's Set...

Anyway, not to worry, a new version will be uploaded soon, with many more items, and I will be 100% sure that all items are dropping.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

I like!!!

I think the %LL should definitely be lower than the full set bonus you get with the class sets that give it because its such a small set in comparison, not necessarily too low though because no one would choose to socket high levels of the mods on either piece so if thats 2.2% in niob at level 200 it's probably fine.

Testing is complete! I've been playing Sacred 2 nonstop when I haven't been studying, and I've found every set piece from Chaoskampf, Auspicious Powers, and both jewelry sets. They're dropping at the rates they should be. Pieces from the Mutation Set are dropping, but rarely. So far I've only got a couple pieces, one from a T-Spider and one as a reward from completing the DM's class chain quest. So, I think this is in keeping with the other Mutation sets (more rare than normal sets).

I'm satisifed that everything is working as it should be, and I've tweaked the various bonuses to be useable but not too overpowered. Both the two new armor sets are designed to give some boosts here and there to a melee Dragon Mage, but honestly without any Combat Arts to boost melee power it's still really tough (no crowd control without spells). For a spellcaster the sets will be great to godly. Who knows, depending on the build, the "best" combination may involve blending pieces from all the sets (in fact, I'm sure it will).

So, since I've got the items, with the next download I'm going to include a chest file with the complete sets along with the installation files.

I'm just going to take some time and give all the files one last check. then assemble everything into a new package and update the readme. I've got German translations for all the pieces too...I need to figure out to package both languages. Once I figure that out, version 2 should hopefully be up tomorrow or the next day.

In the meantime here's new pics of Chaoskampf in action (yes I'm fighting Niobium Orcs in melee).

Oj4wtKy.jpg

h4xuBKY.jpg

F2Q7lg8.jpg

1Je4qmR.jpg

W3phPrF.jpg

4KJhRaC.jpg

e9ZZdSN.jpg

8VmWyQq.jpg

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

I agree, most of my characters aim for a blend of sets, trying to maximize the benefit of the individual pieces and the partial set bonuses.

Last update before v2 release (hopefully)! I've assembled all the sets in a chest except for one last piece of Draco's Garments. I'm 99.9% certain it will drop, (there's no reason why it shouldn't), but I won't be 100% satisfied until I see it fall from a dead enemy, treasure chest, or quest reward. I've also updated the readme and everything should be ready to package once I get the last armor piece in place.

The German version will be packaged as an entirely separate download. I'll host it myself on Google Drive.

In the meantime sink your fangs into a ghoulish lore update for the newest addition to the mod, Tooth and Nail (bottom of first post).

Thank you for the support!

Edited by Flix
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey flix they all look great.

Have you ever thought about giving this set a variation. I always felt the chest piece should be scales similar to the arms and legs. sorry I cant post the link but its the dragens legacy skin.

Edited by grimwold
  • Like! 1

Hey flix they all look great.
Have you ever thought about giving this set a variation. I always felt the chest piece should be scales similar to the arms and legs. sorry I cant post the link but its the dragens legacy skin.

Mhmm, I remember a user a while back made a post planning something like that. There was even a picture, though I think it was just a mock-up, but the idea was to have a sort of seamless full-body suit of green dragon scales, so that it looked almost like the Dragon Mage was morphing into a Dragon.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Yea flix that was me.(: I never actually ever found the time to learn how to do it. I also sketched up a few temple guardians skins. The living flesh was terminator 2 style skin. With skin hanging of the temple guardian in a damaged way. And then there was the full flesh skin making the temple guardian into a full wolf type creature/cyborg. The temple guardian was very W.IP. I could never decide to go Egyptian or cyborg werewolf with it. There is a similar suit in dark souls but I didn't want to take it that far .

Edited by grimwold
  • Like! 1

Any chance youll share with us how to add sets? the most difficult part would be editing the global.res without proper tools...

Someone developed an editor for the CM team to use which Flix has access to. However, beyond it's use for the cm patch they never intended to release it too the public as far as I am aware. I have always hoped that they would do so with the release of the final CM patch however as at that point they do not need to worry about other peoples mods conflicting with any changes they make to global.res.

Moonpaw asked the same question in the other thread and I answered there. Though I wonder why I'm always missing posts by that user. Anyway I'll copy the same answer here:

------------

I had intended to make a complete guide to making new items, but since the final step (naming the items in global.res) requires use of an internal tool made for the CM Patch (that remains private, out of my control), I didn't see the point. Anyone that has the editor knows how to make new items anyway.

However, I can give you a basic run-down for a brand-new item:

• Create models/textures/icons, using whatever 3D modeling and/or image editing programs you use. Models and textures can be given unique names, icon names should correspond with the itemtype number (see below). Models need to be exported to gr2 format and textures can be either tga or dds.
  • Create a new surface ID in surface.txt defining which textures will be used for the item. Special surface shaders and fx can be set here.
  • Create a new item type in itemtype.txt. This tells the game exactly what the item is classified as (helmet, sword, etc...item classifications are defined in typification.txt) and what 3D model, surface ID, and icons to use for the item.
  • Create a new entry in iteminfo.txt, using the item type number. This will tell the game what material it is made from (defined in material.txt) and how much space it takes up in the inventory.
  • Create a new blueprint for the item in blueprint.txt. This creates the item based on the item type number, and defines properties like bonuses, character class restrictions, item tier (unique, legendary, etc.) and whether it's part of a set.
  • If creating a set, add a set blueprint in blueprint.txt. This defines which blueprints are part of the set and what the bonuses are.
  • Add item to the appropriate drop tables in drop.txt, using the blueprint ID.
  • Name items by editing global.res. This part is secret.
I think that about covers it.

What would happen if you went through all the steps besides the final (illegal) step?

Would you get an item with an empty name field or would the game throw an error?

I wonder if you could make a workin proof of concept mod and then suck up to one of the VIP's on the CM-patch team (whom you should feel inferior to as they a greater than you due to having the right 'connections') for doing the last formalities.

And yeah, I realise the reason why you can't just release the editing tool in an open fashion is that it technically breaches the Sacred 2 DRM scheme. (global.res is under DRM protection for some reason).

If you go through all steps of item creation except for the last one, you'd get a completely working item that would have a randomly generated name based on its stats (just like all non-unique items in game do). All the stats and looks would display exactly as you scripted them, so it's just the matter of having the right name. If the lack of proper name does not bother you, you can create as many new items as you wish.

Edited by Silver_fox

What would happen if you went through all the steps besides the final (illegal) step?

Would you get an item with an empty name field or would the game throw an error?

The answer to that is in this thread, as this was the case with the Dragon Mage sets for a time. I had successfully created the items, but couldn't get the names encoded, so the game used the auto-generated names as if they were a random items (set names remained blank). This also means that users can create all the random items they want without any tools. The tool is only needed to give a proper unique name to an item.

I wonder if you could make a workin proof of concept mod and then suck up to one of the VIP's on the CM-patch team (whom you should feel inferior to as they a greater than you due to having the right 'connections') for doing the last formalities.

How do you think I did this in the first place? I was a nobody, I knew nobody, but I was persistent in asking everybody for information and offered proof that I was trustworthy and was seriously going to make a good mod. Your bad attitude probably won't help you much though.

And yeah, I realise the reason why you can't just release the editing tool in an open fashion is that it technically breaches the Sacred 2 DRM scheme. (global.res is under DRM protection for some reason).

I don't believe that is the reason. If you read through the thread you will see a discussion of why the editor has remained internal.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Ah, I reckon I would be misunderstood.

I love the CM-patch team as much as anyone else on this forum. People have a tendency to mistake my self-deprecation for ironic veiled insults. The CM-patch guys are as helpful as can be expected of them (and probably more too).

As for the whole private unreleased editing tool I thought the reason they are being so private about it was a legal issue of some sort.

EDIT: This is supposed to be understood as an apology.

Edited by Little Faith
  • 6 years later...

Well it's been nearly 7 years since my last update in this thread, where I talked about my wish to add one more Dragon Mage set to the lineup, one titled "Mark of the Dragon" and themed after the Dragon Mage's class chain quest.

I had the idea back then for the set item names, but no clear idea on what the modifiers should be, and more importantly, no good visual design.  Yet another recolor of an existing set?

Then, during D2F development, Pesmonits helped me import the Dragonscale armor from Skyrim.  I created the scripts and prepared all the files right away.  But the proportions were never quite right, and In the world of Ancaria, the textures seemed very drab and washed out.  For years this armor languished simply as random rare armor parts that could be shopped or found as drops, in D2F only.

OqfjWVA.jpg

Recently Dimitrius has generously adjusted the model and textures as well as cooking up some modifiers themed around melee combat.  So now I can finally present to you the full armor set, "Mark of the Dragon" (upcoming in the next releases of Enhanced Edition and Diablo 2 Fallen).

mONyCDr.jpg   5oXMjDV.jpg

The modifiers are focused on Dual Wielding combat with melee weapons.

5JIfonV.png aGVlK7k.png

w2RG3WN.png 2JK7iSN.png

QtGgWAZ.png RYJn266.png

6pSe737.png xKq5f76.png

H1rrvPB.png

Since EE 2.0, the final boss of the Dragon Mage's class quest, Varmin, has been sporting a blackened version of this armor.  Varmin will also be benefiting from updated models and textures in the next release of Enhanced Edition:

walKpg9.jpg  

• Like! 1