Best game for a sick minion build?

They kind of sucked in Diablo 3, heck let's be really honest, minions REALLY sucked in Diablo 3. Sacred 2...well I kinda found there was a lot of button pushing going on, and most of the time I felt like I had a small mob of platypuses slowly creeping about behind me (hate that) taking chunks out of stuff...

What about other games, what's out there that could fit my craving?

I really really REALLY hated Guild wars 2's minion builds, all those different models, and some of them (that smoky blob :o) just looked plain unifinished, and because they were all different, I felt like was leading a rag tag mob.

Only one I think that got it right down pat postive, NAILED it...was original Guild Wars. Those things were ugly, menacing looking, ran really fast at stuff, and I could produce multiple copies of them...felt like I was releasing an army of them.

Has there every been a good minion build possible in any other game?

:)

gogo

Hey gogo,

join us in PoE-> Summoners are lot of fun-> best class like diablo 2 ;)

for now I play with lifebased spectres, zombies and for bosses skellies :)

here is a video about this build

Edited by Chrona
  • Like! 1

I bet Chrona will want to chime in here about his minion summoner builds, but I can post a pretty good Path of Exile one :P

omgod, I LOVE this! Just showed it to Schot too, he's a big fan of minion builds, POE has iust nailed it on feel!

gogo

Hey gogo,

join us in PoE-> Summoners are lot of fun-> best class like diablo 2 ;)

for now I play with lifebased spectres, zombies and for bosses skellies :)

here is a video about this build

U saw the vid Chrona, again POE, good feel on the mionion build, but this doesn't look as, to me, exciting as the one posted above by Ryan.

Which one's more viable in HC?

:0

gogo

Difficult question to say the least.

As far as I am aware, Diablo 2, Necro Summoner, build still is "king of the hill".

The last Summoner I built had a maximum of 56 "summons". Granted he was wearing elite gear with +36 to summon skills.

Teleporting with "Enigma" light plate would pounce all 56 summons on one unfortunate boss or minion at a time.

O_o

I remain, Etherian

Haven't ever played Diablo 2, I know, I'm going to the many hells of Mordor!

:oooo:

gogo

Titan Quest Gold w/ Summoner's Delight Mod.

Even without the mod TQ has a nice selection of minions.

Alternatively if you want to revisit some of that Diablo 2 magic in a different environment you can try Diablo 2 Immortal by Violos. All the Diablo 2 characters but playable in the Titan Quest campaign.

The Paths mod for TQ also had some great summons:

j8HfV4R.jpg

TkK3YzC.jpg

It's an older game now but Divine Divinity had some great tricks to build massive armies at your command. Not only did it have skeleton and steel skeleton summons, but also a Death Knight you could summon, steel scorpions, and a resurrect spell. There was even a skill called "Aura of Command" that let you steal the summons of enemies.

divine_divinity-1b.jpg

The ressurect spell is where it really got crazy though. There's an enemy called a Skeletal Conjurer who summons skeleton minions. You could kill him, then resurrect him, and he would follow you and summon skeletons to fight for you. But even above him, was the ultra-rare Skeletal Conjurer Lord, who summoned...you guessed it, Skeletal Conjurers. So if you resurrected HIM, you could have him following you, summoning his Skeletal Conjurers, and each of them summoning their own horde of skeleton minions. It could get...insane...

....Can't find the pic right now but suffice to say it rivals any skeleton horde from Diablo 2.

Ahh, Divine... u know that was the first game I actually bought for my PC that my parents got for me. I remember it feeling so content rich, but there were so many bugs in it, I ultimately felt too frustrated..specially as I caved in three days later and picked up Warcraft 2... that just blew me away and I was lost to divinity.

Didn't even know there was such thing as Minions builds in it!

gogo

zombies and spectres, heal them and curse the monsters

its faster and more interactive

after ~1,5 years with ranged sceptres I need more action :)

I agree that the more interactive option is overall more fun! Makes the gameplay more interesting and less of the same plan day in and out :)

Edited by Ryanrocker
  • Like! 1

Does one have better kill speed than the other?

gogo

No :) only the playstyle is different :)

The first ~40 lvls are slow as summoner and its hard, Your minions are really weak, help them with Freeze Puls, Fireball or some other spell.

There are some great ideas for summoner in the off. forum.

Tell me, wich build you want and I can post some passive trees.

Edited by Chrona
  • Like! 1

I'd love to see a passive tree for Ryan's minion build with ranged if anyone has?

Just the way the effects run on screen are pretty thrilling

Looks nice and overpowered muhahah

gogo

Yes :) League Nemesis -> hardcore At the end of the league (02/24/2014) your characters and stashtabs will be moved to "normal" hc ->leagues work like diablo 2 ladder.

I can give you summonergems/gear.

Ayup, we're playing with the German community from the Sacred 2 official forums on Nemesis (HC) league. If you're interested in rolling a summoner, I can start putting away gear for you as well :)

• Like! 1

Minions are pretty fragile in path of Exile, especially before level 30.

But you can spam Skeletons from a totem, - tanks bosses indefinitely

I wish you throw down something that spammed bees or lots of Zerg'ing like critters :)

You can do types of minion builds in Marvel heroes as well

Edited by CoolColJ
  • Like! 1