Christmas Island Steam And CM 140 Patch

Kralbogg

I hope no one else had asked this.

I'm playing Sacred Gold, Seraphim Level 38 Silver Difficulty, and I've got the Can Christmas Be Saved Quest.

This is the steam version, using CM Patch 140

All good so far. Where the good turns decidedly evil is the fist quest. To cut a long story short, you have to defeat the Ghost Of Christmas Future. Which I have tried to do.

I think he's killed me more than twenty times. It's getting up to that. I hit him, do some damege, but he killls me every time. I have Warding Energy activated and Cleansing Brilliance. He seems to not only bypass both but cancel them out. Added to this, he has his mates; Snow Cats, Polar Bears, hordes of Ghosts of Christmas Past and Present. Basically, he mobs the poor Seraphim.

Is there a solution to this, or is he truly unbeatabe? I don't know anymore. I just want to complete the Quest Line and get on with the Game.

Edited by Kralbogg
  • Like! 1

Yes, he is challenging, but beatable. I usually whale on him, use area attacks to take out the smaller enemies and drink a lot of healing potions. The wiki recommends using Fire and Magic weapons. Try running down the mountain path to lower the number of enemies you fight in battle.

• Like! 1

Could Kralbogg have some type of bug or something? On silver, I've taken all my builds between levels 15 to 30 and have cleaned house in no longer than 20 minutes. A day or so ago, I saw someone complaining about the Island. I was excited , thought someone made the Island more challenging, so I took a piddly level 31 shopper seraphim and rocked that place in about 15 minutes in her shopper suit instead of her combat gear. Maybe I'm the one with the bug. Maybe I'll take my level 15 TG shopper and see what that old boy can do on the Island

Ok, now I get it! I was stumped at first, because it said you've been a member since 09. Which means you should have totally rocking combat suits, buff suits, weapons.... but now I get it, this is a quiz, right? What can a player do to a level 38 Seraphim to prevent her from wiping the floor with the Christmas bosses? You took off your set items and unequipped your legendaries, right? Though there are some yellows that could still get the job done, so you decked her out in full greys.

Kralbogg can you tell us a little bit more about your character, what gear, skills and CA's you are using?

Besides clearing out the area beforehand as others have said, the first suggestion that comes to mind is that if you're trying to hit the boss in melee, then switch off Cleansing Brilliance and use Battle Stance instead.

• Like! 1

Oh, this isn't a quiz? I'm very sorry, I was psyched bc I thought I got one :( After 20 deaths, I'd imagine you're ready to pull some hair out. I have a quick fix. Just did it myself with my last Seraphim. Dw a pair of swords ( I like Boneslicer) and the Sopor Aethernis set (bc the set here already comes with decent rings socketed), all of which can be found here. With lava in my boneslicers and the sopor set, I just cleared that island in about ten minutes. Of course, I was riding a tiger, otherwise my toon couldn't run that fast yet, being only level 22.

Kralbogg can you tell us a little bit more about your character, what gear, skills and Combat Arts you are using?

Besides clearing out the area beforehand as others have said, the first suggestion that comes to mind is that if you're trying to hit the boss in melee, then switch off Cleansing Brilliance and use Battle Stance instead.

Thanks for your suggestion, and everyone else's suggestions.

The equipment I'm using is Blue And Yellow Armour types. I have Set Items but no complete Sets. All her armour Boosts her Combat Arts, and Shield and Armour Lore. She does have a Damage Mitigation shield.

Her Weapons are two swords which Deal Fire Damage, A Great Sword, Light Sabre and Bone Slicer. Her Shields all boost her Combat Arts.

Her Skills are Exalted Warrior Lore And Focus, Concentration, Sword Lore, Celestial Magic Lore and Focus, Revered Technology Focus and Tactics Lore. Each of these has 16 points placed in them.

Her Combat Arts have between 12 and 16 runes spent o them. So they're reasonably powerful. Her Radiant Pillar and Dashing Alacrity Arts are fully upgraded.

The sword I'm using on Christmas Island deals Fire Damge. The Combat Arts I'm using are Hallowed Restoration, Soul Hammer (but it could be Dashing Alacrity as I get these two confused) Baneful Smite, ArchAngel's Wrath and Radiant Pillar.

I think I've covered everything. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

One last point, I tried an Energy Pistol on the Ghost Of chistmas Future. Nothing. Not even a scratch. Which was depressing, as this tactic took down general Terus and Gahanka withoutany problems.

Do you have "Tactics Lore" as skill chosen as well? And if you do, how many points have you put into it?
Tactics Lore is most likely one of the most - if not the most - important skill for a melee character, as it pumps your melee damage output. Fast! :D

Especially in the beginning of the game - up to level 50 - 60 - It might be a good idea to keep it equal to your char's level.

Another thing you might consider is to use Battle Stance as your primary buff. If you have concentration as skill, pick Warding Energy as secondary buff; as it gives you an energy shield.

Your primary Combat Arts are Pelting Strike, Pelting Strike and Pelting Strike. Oh and did I mention you have to take Pelting Strike as main CA:)

That CA is dealing enough damage when dual wielding to take down a lot of bosses. Especially when the regen is low enough to have the CA fully recharged before the animation runs out.

Thorin :)

• Like! 1

I have Tactics Lore chosen. I've put about 16 points in so far. I have Concentration chosen as well. Both are about 16 Points, there abouts. I like to balance my skills.

I'll try Pelting Strikes as a Combat Art and see what hapens.

Thanks for the advice.

Kralbogg, my guess is you're spreading yourself a little thin between all 3 aspects. Using the magical abilities as support is great, so long as your melee combat arts are up to snuff. Battle Stance buff, Soul Hammer, and Pelting Strikes should be used if you're standing up to fight an enemy in melee. You could even try Soul Hammer+Pelting Strikes in a combo.

On the other hand, if you just can't stand toe-to-toe with the boss, try kiting him. Activating Dashing Alacrity will help your run speed. Just stay out of his grasp and throw down Radiant Pillars while shooting Archangel's Wrath at him.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

I'm glad you got him.

It's those little flying champion sprites that turn off buffs (can't think of what they're called, I'm using Kingdoms of Amalur terminology). They shoot you with a little lightning attack that deactivates buffs.

I'm glad you got him.

It's those little flying champion sprites that turn off buffs (can't think of what they're called, I'm using Kingdoms of Amalur terminology). They shoot you with a little lightning attack that deactivates buffs.

Fury (small purple harpy). It's the only regular enemy in the game that spams a debuff.

I'm glad you got him, but just like Flix I'm afraid you're spreading your skills a bit too thin over all three aspects.

And knowing which bosses might start to show up in the other parts of the quest, I'm afraid you may run into problems again. Fortunately you don't have to abandon your game, you just need to adjust a few things.

First of all, leave the quest for what it is right now. You need to decide which aspect of your Seraphim you're going to use as your main aspect, and after you've done that, you need to pump some skill points into the lores belonging to those aspects.

When you've done that, start by roaming the island and killing everything you get in sight. You'll encounter some nasty foes on your way, of which the Fury's and the Old X-mass trees are the two worst. The first because they de-buff, the latter because they're using a form of Life Leech, combined with a powerful lightning strike.

If you've done the entire island, save at one of the monolith's, leave your game and re-enter it to re-spawn a new bunch of opponents. Keep doing this until you've gained about 5 levels and added the points into your major skills (read: those helping you to get stronger).

Spoiler warning!

The main reason for doing this: the next part of the quest sends you all over the island to search for the clothing of Santa. And that includes the area the Fury's are in; including inside a cave where the boss hangs out. Fury's can be taken out with melee or with ranged weapons, but they're "de-buff ray" works at a distance as well, while they're able to do ice damage when going toe-to-toe with them. The boss itself isn't that hard to kill, especially since kiting works well at him. :)

The next stage of the quest lets you collect the goods for a snowman. Again, most of the quest is easy, but the last boss can again be a pain, as he's also using some sort of Life Leech. Yet, if you've increased your major skills, he shouldn't be that much of problems.

The third stage of the quest will have a boss (Haenir) giving you headaches. Main reason: he's casting a spell similar to the HE's Magic Coup. And that particular spell is making casting spells almost impossible for your char. Meaning you need to kite him again if you're a spell caster and lure him into the spells you cast. As a melee char you can go head-on with him and keep pounding at him until he's down. Just make sure you got enough health potions available as he hits quite hard.

Another tactic for this boss is to sneak past him, grab the goodies and leave the cave through the exit. You won't get the XP and drops from killing him, but you will be able to continue the quest. And - if I'm not mistaken - you can return to the cave later when you're gained some skills and kill him afterwards.

The final boss The Grinch deals quite some damage but is manageable compared to the other bosses. He doesn't have many tricks up his sleeve. The damage he deals is done with his claws or from a spell, which is meant to weaken you. Again, with the right major skills chosen, you won't have too much of a problem dealing with him. And since the screenshot at the Wiki is from a boss close to your level, you know what to expect.

Good luck!

I'm glad you got him, but just like Flix I'm afraid you're spreading your skills a bit too thin over all three aspects.

And knowing which bosses might start to show up in the other parts of the quest, I'm afraid you may run into problems again. Fortunately you don't have to abandon your game, you just need to adjust a few things.

First of all, leave the quest for what it is right now. You need to decide which aspect of your Seraphim you're going to use as your main aspect, and after you've done that, you need to pump some skill points into the lores belonging to those aspects.

When you've done that, start by roaming the island and killing everything you get in sight. You'll encounter some nasty foes on your way, of which the Fury's and the Old X-mass trees are the two worst. The first because they de-buff, the latter because they're using a form of Life Leech, combined with a powerful lightning strike.

If you've done the entire island, save at one of the monolith's, leave your game and re-enter it to re-spawn a new bunch of opponents. Keep doing this until you've gained about 5 levels and added the points into your major skills (read: those helping you to get stronger).

Spoiler warning!

The main reason for doing this: the next part of the quest sends you all over the island to search for the clothing of Santa. And that includes the area the Fury's are in; including inside a cave where the boss hangs out. Fury's can be taken out with melee or with ranged weapons, but they're "de-buff ray" works at a distance as well, while they're able to do ice damage when going toe-to-toe with them. The boss itself isn't that hard to kill, especially since kiting works well at him. :)

The next stage of the quest lets you collect the goods for a snowman. Again, most of the quest is easy, but the last boss can again be a pain, as he's also using some sort of Life Leech. Yet, if you've increased your major skills, he shouldn't be that much of problems.

The third stage of the quest will have a boss (Haenir) giving you headaches. Main reason: he's casting a spell similar to the HE's Magic Coup. And that particular spell is making casting spells almost impossible for your char. Meaning you need to kite him again if you're a spell caster and lure him into the spells you cast. As a melee char you can go head-on with him and keep pounding at him until he's down. Just make sure you got enough health potions available as he hits quite hard.

Another tactic for this boss is to sneak past him, grab the goodies and leave the cave through the exit. You won't get the XP and drops from killing him, but you will be able to continue the quest. And - if I'm not mistaken - you can return to the cave later when you're gained some skills and kill him afterwards.

The final boss The Grinch deals quite some damage but is manageable compared to the other bosses. He doesn't have many tricks up his sleeve. The damage he deals is done with his claws or from a spell, which is meant to weaken you. Again, with the right major skills chosen, you won't have too much of a problem dealing with him. And since the screenshot at the Wiki is from a boss close to your level, you know what to expect.

Good luck!

I've just beaten the Polar Bear Boss Mr Wahts his name. I'm now looking for Christmas decorations.

I've been killed yes, but not too often. I'm winning.

I appreciate what you and Flix say about Skills Point Allocation. I like to balance skills, so that one skill doesn't suffer because of another.

I also find it best to gently allocate points at Level Up time. Agonising over waht goes where and making a One Combat Art Proficiant character may work for some, but it would drive me insane.

Like I say, Blasters have their use. If the beggar won't go down from your lovely blazing sword, blow him up with T-Energy.

Speaking of such (sorry if this is going off topic) a stick or two of Gelly wouldn't go astray. Just shove it up under the Boss' arm or wing, light and run. That would settle him.

I've finished Charistmas Island.

Haenir wasn't too bad at all. He dealt some damage, but nothing my Seraphim couldn't handle. Remeber to apply healing potions as required. The Yetis didn't bother her at all, as of all the monsters they went down the easiert. Probably because she's using her Long Sword of Extreme Fire on everthing she meets. Yetis being cold weather creatures didn't like Fire based weapons.

The Grinch was probably the easiest in his own way. He dealt not much damage. Mostly he landed on the Seraphim and tried to smother her.

I shot at him with her Unique Energy Pistol, until this proved useless. Once that happened, I retruned to her Fire sword. That and Raidiant Pillar and Baneful Smite settled him before long.

Anyway, this is her; Christmas Angel.

post-8235-0-57419700-1384158404_thumb.jpg

This is her again.

post-8235-0-58759700-1384158435_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Your patience and help and humour have been invaluable. It's always easier to face and handle problems with help. Even gaming problems.

Thanks again.

Edited by Kralbogg
  • Like! 1

YW. :D

Oh, and congratz. Now a nice little tip:

Return to Artamark's Gate and talk to the soldier at the docks. Then return to the island and do the other quest present here. You'll run into Heanir again, except he's called Walter now.

GL&HF

YW. :D

Oh, and congratz. Now a nice little tip:

Return to Artamark's Gate and talk to the soldier at the docks. Then return to the island and do the other quest present here. You'll run into Heanir again, except he's called Walter now.

GL&HF

Or if you have both quests running at once, they'll both be there. You'll have to fight Haenir and Walther at once. Same with the Ice Hydra, if you time the quests right they'll both spawn at once in the cave. I like running both quests simultaneously.