Gif Images on SacredWiki

After reading about gifs not working so great in the The SX255 story topic(thanx guys!) and some research into the matter, I've come to learn that our wiki software has a long history of problems regarding gifs. Particularly animted gifs. I've done a fair bit of testing with really no success so for the time being I've chosen to set the wiki's thumbnailing function to remove animation frames when creating thumbnails. The full size original will still animate. Just not the thumbnail. What we can do instead is have the thumbnail link directly to the full size animation. You can see how I did that on the Survival Bonus page.

[[File:SBcomparison2.gif|200px|link=http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/b/b9/SBcomparison2.gif]]

So for now... Thumbnails won't be animated. It seems that this has been a problem for Mediawiki for years so I'm guessing this may take a while for me to figure out. Not a priority though I think...

There is however a second problem with gifs on the wiki. Flix mentions that problem below:

Flix, on 11 Nov 2013 - 17:26, said:

Something is screwy with other GIFs on the wiki right now, I don't know if it's new or I just never noticed it.

Scroll through the Crystal Plane Bestiary to see what I mean. The GIFs are weird looking.

Pictures like the Hucin champ are happening because of the way the gif is being saved. When a gif is saved with the setting "interlaced" on it will result in a malformed thumbnail on our wiki. The only way I know of to avoid this problem for now is to always save gif with the "interlaced" option off. Normally, interlaced is a good idea because it reduces the file size of the image. Unfortunately our wiki isn't handling that option very well...

Hopefully I can find an easy solution to these problems. They shouldn't be this big a problem.

• Like! 1

What's bizarre is that neither one of these problems existed until now. I know those Crystal Plane images were fine a few weeks ago.

I also know that the animated gifs were also fine a few weeks ago. Now they animate very strangely. Look at the survival bonus page. It's animating way too quick, basically just blinking, but it was fine before.

What's bizarre is that neither one of these problems existed until now. I know those Crystal Plane images were fine a few weeks ago.

I also know that the animated gifs were also fine a few weeks ago. Now they animate very strangely. Look at the survival bonus page. It's animating way too quick, basically just blinking, but it was fine before.

Oddly enough, if you click on that gif in the wiki, it works fine.

So does this mean that my animated fan works wont work with the curent wiki gif situation?

Good catch Flix, I saw the survival bonus page glitch too. I think it may have something to do with our most recent update. I know that Knuckles ran into some trouble the very next day after we updated the wiki some time ago. At that time it wasn't clear that it was a gif problem. Only that there was a problem with the thumbnail generator. Now it seems it's gif specific.

Both the Crystal Plane Bestiary and survival bonus page are now fixed. Before you can see the correction on those particular pages though you would need to hard refresh your browser by pressing CTRL + F5 or clear your browser history and cache from your browser options.

It will work SX255. It would just need a bit of link tweaking for the animated ones. Upload your animated work and if you like I'll tweak it for you. :)

• Like! 1

I like seeing all the work you do out in the open Schot. It seems like for so long alot of what you have done has been hidden behind the scenes but lately we have been truly able to appreciate the hard work that you do for us. So thank you!

• Like! 1

Schot this has to become a kind of reference guide not just for us but for media wiki and hosting sites. There's a fair number of hours you've put into solving this, great detailed, referenced work, I'm sure many many out there would heartily thank you for finding solution to frustrations being felt on sites everywhere cuz of this.

:)

gogo

Thanx guys! I do like to share this part of what I do but most times, by the time I'm done whatever task I'm working on, I just want to flop down and veg out, lol.

• Like! 1

Awesome! lol, I spent time this morning having an amazing laugh over the work. I've always been hoping that more art from the universe would show up, and comics and animation fits the bill perfectly.

Only 33 times bigger though?

:D

gogo

Lookin great SX255! I haven't had a chance to look at them all yet but when I saw "Its not grave robbing" I burst out laughing. :3lmao:

Well this has been an interesting discovery which took a turn I wasn't expecting... Our host was kind enough to look into this problem. To my surprise, even his reach does not go far enough to correct this problem and so he is requesting assistance from higher up. From "the cloud". Yes, you heard it right. We actually exist high up upon a coud. Server! Hehe. The cloud people will be taking care of this Gif problem of ours within a week or so. I find this all so very interesting. One of these days I'll set up my own server so I can see how it all works.

• 2 months later...

Well it's been months since this whole thing got started and when last I posted we were waiting for the server techs to fix this problem. So! Is it fixed? Hmmmmm....

I saw this topic, but could not find a single glitch on the wiki itself, which is why I proposed to try using GIFs again. I guess, we can just try it out - I'll do the GIF stats for Megalcarwen's set and we'll see how they would look. Also, I remember saving stat GIF with transparency and interlacing turned off - removing transparency makes them a bit smaller and removing interlacing does not really increase filesize for something of 8KB. If you think that interlacing is to blame, turning it off for such images would change filesize only a fraction of KB so it should not really matter.

You know, Schot, I played a bit with GIF saving - and for simple images interlace only increases the filesize. That set bonus image I showed you before is 10.13 KB with interlace and 10.01 without. So, I guess, removing interlace might be a way to eliminate the problem. (I'm saving for web in Photoshop, by the way.)

Edited by Silver_fox

Ayup! As long as Interlacing is off everything should be ok. Though I do believe the issue of this topic is now resolved. Alternatively, if you're feeling adventurous (ooooooooooh! :D ), we could use PNG-8 instead of gif. Same abillities as gif, slightly better compression. I'd wager 16 colours would be enough even for stat images.

Nicely done on Equilibrium and Megalcarwen's. Noticed the nice job you did on Remnants of Drizzt as well. Regarding our campaign to reduce file sizes it was largely in response to a lot of 1MB+ size images that we had from the old days so don't kill yourself over the stuff under 300kb. It's ol to leave those alone if you'd rather be doing something else. However I'm a fan of optimizing so carry on as you please! ^^ I trust you'll be as particular as I would, haha.

Oh and if you happen to stumble across this list of images and then freak out about the sizes like me then don't worry too much about them. They've been optimized but their file sizes aren't being displayed properly. To make sure you can go to whatever pictures page and then use the refesh link from the wiki's left menu. It will update the picture's page with the current file size. I need to find a maintenance script that will update all those...

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5?title=Special:ListFiles&sort=img_size&limit=50&asc=&desc=1&action=purge

• Like! 1
  • 11 months later...

So...... Can we upload Gifs of some Combat arts that has variations?

I made a Video Compilation of the seraphim's Assailing Somersault using all different weapons. It would be better if the wiki provided all the animations of it...Which Im glad to help ^^

I made a Video Compilation of the seraphim's Assailing Somersault using all different weapons. It would be better if the wiki provided all the animations of it...Which Im glad to help ^^

Well, it might be better to keep them as videos and add them to the SacredWiki youtube channel that we use for Sacred 2 videos. Can you upload the files somewhere?

• Like! 1

Well, it might be better to keep them as videos and add them to the SacredWiki youtube channel that we use for Sacred 2 videos. Can you upload the files somewhere?

Hmm you mean by uploading the files, are you referring to the gif or the video? I Can upload them in my Wordpress blog if that helps.

I made a video here and it's decent quality enough.

Please mute the audio as I was an anime freak when I made this haha:

• Like! 1

I'm on Flix's page with this, and it's a good idea the feedback he gave on the music and captions. Actually having each CA shown expressing itself with each weapon is a fantastic idea.

If you have some good stuff ready for the wiki, We can work on having you get a temp password that you can submit with.

:)

gogo

Okay then . It settled ! I'll see what I can do :) im biased towards the seraphim so expect all of my conteibutions revolving around her lol