Could someone explain Minecraft to me?

Ok, here's the deal: I can't do any more Sacred 2. I know it's blasphemy, but dude, not counting my characters I use only for storage, and not counting my shoppers and smith, I have 58 toons. I beat the game on every difficulty with all 58 of them. I have so many lightsabers and Helmets of Unspeakable Evil that my inventory looks like a Star Wars convention. I just can't do any more Sacred for now. I'm still stoked about Flix's Dragon Mage armor coming out, but I'm not in an impatient fit to get my hands on them, because the thought of starting new toons makes me sick. I mean no offense to anyone, I just....can't do any more Sacred now. So, I told someone that I love the Kenshi Alpha, but I don't want to play any more until it's a full game. I'd love to play Starforge, but my Alienware's only got a nVidea 240m graphics card. It can't handle Legends of Dawn, so I highly doubt it could handle Starforge, which is a Major sad face. Someone told me "I know Kenshi and Starforge, I've got just the thing for you: Minecraft".

So, I bought Minecraft on my 360 right before my gold membership lapsed. I've built my little hut. I've mined all types of metals and ore and a few diamonds if I remember right. I took a massive chunk of land and turned it into an island, turned my hut into a castle, made traps, brought sheep and flowers and junk like that to my island. I've built whole towns. So, now I'm ready for NPCs to come, shops to set up, quest-givers to show up, griffins and dragons and ogres and stuff to show up, so I told my friend "How do I turn the real game on, now that I've created til my heart's content?" and he tells me "You ARE playing the game". So, is that all there is to Minecraft? You build structures for your friends to visit, try to survive the little nighttime creepy crawlies, and stave off hunger? No quests, no NPCs, no villages to save, just building for creativity's sake?

• Like! 1

So, is that all there is to Minecraft? You build structures for your friends to visit, try to survive the little nighttime creepy crawlies, and stave off hunger? No quests, no NPCs, no villages to save, just building for creativity's sake?

Outside of the wide selection of mods available out there, yes that is the point of the game. Just pure sandbox creativity :)

• Like! 1

No, gogo, Minecraft is the exact opposite of Sacred. Which is why I can't believe my friend suggested it for me. Now, if I would have said that I was looking for the antithesis of Sacred 2 and left it at that, I totally understand suggesting Minecraft. But I also used Kenshi and Starforge as references, too. I also forgot that to put in the previous paragraph that I had used Planet Explorers as a point of reference for him. Now, granted, Kenshi, Starforge, and Planet Explorers all have exploration, farming, and building, but those three games also have common threads that Minecraft doesn't. Minecraft isn't a bad game, it's just not what I was expecting with the points of reference I gave him. And Flix, the episode of South Park you referenced was funny, especially about the Investigation Discovery part. My fiance watches those All the time, and I've often joked with her about how those shows are teaching her better ways to kill me. I love that show, didn't know they were still making them. Some of my colleagues would be mortified if they learned that under my business suit, I often wear Cartman and Towlie t shirts. It's a shame that some people can't see beyond the crass cartoon aspect to see what Southpark really is.

Yeah, they're cutting back to only making a few episodes a year now. They're completely tasteless and offensive but I'll always love the show. And every now and then they poop out an absolute gem.

I was catching up on the newest season and I happened to be watching this episode just as I saw this thread. It was seriously like Stan's dad had logged into Darkmatters and was asking when the real game began in Minecraft. ROFL.

You should play Kingdoms of Amalur.

If you like the general concept of Minecraft but don't like the lack of specific stuff to do, perhaps you would enjoy StarMade. It's a lot like Minecraft, but in space, and the stuff you build actually moves and shoots lazors at mobs. You know, like those Death Stars they make in Minecraft that never move?

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome,thank you. I've only played New Vegas. But on my account, I saw a bunch of free ones that remind me of the good ole Amiga days. This brings back a Easter memory many years ago when I woke up and Road Wars ,The Faery Tale Adventure, and Blood Money were sitting in a basket next to my computer.