Sauerkrautschokoladenkuchen

chattius

A cake with a mix of chocolade and Sauerkraut. Makes you vomit? Most people eat the cake and like it and have the vomit feeling after learning about the recipe. Like eating a rat and learn after what it was. The recipes are old, was even in the cooking diary of my grandma while shevisited a cooking and householding school.

A recipe in english

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/crossculturaldesserts/r/Chocolate-Sauerkraut-Cake-Recipe.htm

A recipe in german

http://haydenei.com/2008/12/23/sauerkraut-schokoladenkuchen/

So why the recipe of this strange mix tastes so good? Sauerkraut and chocolade share some aromatic acids. So the Sauerkrauts boosts the chocolade taste. Molecular kitchen recently recovered the old recipes and explined why it works in german TV.

• Like! 1

A cake with a mix of chocolade and Sauerkraut. Makes you vomit? Most people eat the cake and like it and have the vomit feeling after learning about the recipe. Like eating a rat and learn after what it was. The recipes are old, was even in the cooking diary of my grandma while shevisited a cooking and householding school.

A recipe in english

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/crossculturaldesserts/r/Chocolate-Sauerkraut-Cake-Recipe.htm

A recipe in german

http://haydenei.com/2008/12/23/sauerkraut-schokoladenkuchen/

So why the recipe of this strange mix tastes so good? Sauerkraut and chocolade share some aromatic acids. So the Sauerkrauts boosts the chocolade taste. Molecular kitchen recently recovered the old recipes and explined why it works in german TV.

lol the title delights me as well.

Seriously though... chocolate and cabbage at the next dinner party?

Maybe with a VERY dimly lit candle lit dinner?

Seriously though it DOES look good. I'm tempted to create it as a surprise desert for Christmas!

:lol:

gogo

I was rinsing our selfmade Sauerkraut 4 times, it depends on the way the Sauerkraut is made. You probably have to try out after each rinsing if it still has to much cabbage taste. And dont chop it too fine.

2mm should be the lower limit.

Also I normally do a disc like cake and cut it in 3 discs. Then I add some filling between the discs, choco cream, fruits, ...

Lately experimented with a chocolade chantilly made with black currant wine as a filling. Without the filling the cake would last longer, but with the size of our family --- no need that it can stay for some days and stll fresh.

• Like! 1

Yeah it's cabbage. What makes it gross isn't that it's cabbage, it's that it's been pickled and fermented with bacteria to become well...sour and soft. I do not like pickled vegetables, always prefering fresh crunch.

Although, a "cole slaw cake" would be probably just be the worst thing ever, so maybe soft and sour is just right for a cake.

• Like! 1

ahahahhaah, cole slaw cake

:4rofl:

sorry that just made me laugh out loud

I worked in desert service for years and years

this kinda stuff touches me tongue

So the cabbage is going into this cake as a moisturizer ?

:P

gogo

Yes the kraut/ cabbage makes it juicy. The whole is more than the sum of its parts. Sauerkraut and chocolade share some aromatic acids. So the chocolade taste is kinda multiplied by the Sauerkraut. Modern Molecular kitchen explained how the old recipes works.

Sauerkraut

Fermentation adds some vitamins, makes it easier to digest, it is as 4 times more healthy than unfermented cabbage. Kept us german barbarians healthy in the long winter months when fresh vegs werent available.

Not to forget that the family of my wife has generation long history of making and selling big clay pots for fermentation of the cabbage.

Had to look up coleslaw. A coleslaw cake would be more a Sauerkraut-pie?

http://www.food.com/recipe/altdeutscher-sauerkraut-kuchen-german-sauerkraut-pie-80645

• Like! 1

Well the big health downside to sauerkraut (and all preserved foods) is that's it's massively salty (high in sodium).

That pie in particular looks like it would be a sodium bomb (bacon, sauerkraut, cheese and eggs). Though I wouldn't turn my nose up at it if it were offered.

I wouldn't cook coleslaw into anything personally. It's a salad of shredded cruciferious vegetables and other ingredients. Once it's been cooked it has become something else.

• Like! 1

Hmm, Sauerkraut is best if not pasteurized, fresh from the barrel with a lot of bacteria, pro-biotic. The bacteria do the vitamin b12 which plants cant produce.

Salt is used to extract water from the leaves before fermentation starts and not added to preserve. The salt water can be filtered away. If ribs are boiled in Sauerkraut no extra salt is added. Here butchers sell raw Sauerkraut from barrels. Isn't hard to make it yourself if no butcher is selling it.

• Like! 1

I seem to have a bias against cruciferous vegetables in my desert...but I also do remember my aunt adding carrots to stuff sometimes to give it that extra "juice"

Guess a bilnd taste test here will solve all

:)

gogo

I seem to have a bias against cruciferous vegetables in my desert...but I also do remember my aunt adding carrots to stuff sometimes to give it that extra "juice"

Guess a bilnd taste test here will solve all

gogo

What? You've never heard of or tried CARROT CAKE?

Actually, It's a very tasty pastry. Usually comes with a sweetened cream cheese icing. I'm sure they got some of that in your neck of the woods.

Here's a link to the recipe and a few pictures..

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandma-hiers-carrot-cake-recipe/index.html

• 4 years later...
On 26.11.2013. at 8:07 PM, gogoblender said:

There's actually a Eastern European Bakery just down the street from me, there a chance they would have something like this for sale, or would they be able to reference it?

gogo

As a guy from southeastern Europe, notably Serbia, I sincerely doubt that any Slavic person would mix Chocolate and Kiseli Kupus (or as the Germans popularized it - Sauer-Kraut). This seems like a total waste and an unhealthy combination to say to least. Mixing Salt and Sweet is not that common around here. And Sour Cabbage (Kiseli Kupus) is actually extremely salty. 

This is a predominately Slavic food which came to the Central Europe probably either through the Czech, Polish or even Balkan influences on the Eastern parts of the Germany. It is the stuff you eat with spicy meat or salty meat or similar. And it goes really, really well. You drink a beer afterwards. Really nothing like it. A true winter food for a woodcutter. 

This is the Winter dish known as a part of "Zimnica" (Zee-'m-Nee-Tza), but is specifically important since it's used in the traditional dish of Sarma. Now THIS is food! Sarma, although having Turkish/Persian name ethnologically, started its existence specifically on the Balkans. Due to the Serbian slavery under the Ottoman Empire for some 200-400 years, Cabbage was in abundance and so was the pork. It is basically minced meat and rice wrapped up into a sour/pickled cabbage leaf. If you're a true family person you make around 100 of those, cook them for 2-3 hours on low heat and then put them overnight in the owen on low heat. You also put a lot of bacon and other types of dried salted meats in-between. If Italians have Pizza and Panne, Serbs have Sarma and Pljeskavica.

Another dish made with Kiseli Kupus is known as "Podvarak" (Pou-The'vaa-R'ck) which is chopped-up sour/pickled cabbage often with the pork knees or belly or whatever else nice you got from the meat, a duck or chicken or anything goes, it's cooked and then put into the oven to get a bit of a roast color. Actually really, really good with a quality mayo and some Swedish bread or Pogaca. 

Also, talking about this saddens me since the season is over. 

Anyway, the way I make Kiseli Kupus is as follows. You need a good 100L-150L barrel. Strong one. Dark one. You need a specific sort of a cabbage and around 100KG of it for a 4-5 members of the family. Think 20KG per person. On 100KG of Cabbage you need around 4-5KG salt. 4.5KG ideally. Small to medium heads of cabbage. Not big one. Those are a big no-no. And you need refined salt, not sea salt. Cut the middle of the head root (like when you take out the apple petal, same spiral cut) around 5-6cm depth and then fill it with salt. Place the cabbage head into the barrel so that the salt, where you sliced the cabbage, is faced upwards. Do that with each cabbage head and place them accordingly like a puzzle. Once you place all of them, cover with cold water until all of them are submerged. Be sure to have a plastic net that will cover the circular barrel opening and on top of that net place a heavy stone which you previously washed (or some other heavy thing, but stone works wonders, don't ask why). 
Now you wait between a month and a month and a half until the first head is ready to be eaten. The longer it stays, the tastier it gets. 
The barrel needs to be on the temperature between 5-10 C degrees. You will also need to take out the water with a pump of sorts and return it back (filtering) every now and then in approx 2 weeks (so that it doesn't get too spoiled). 
If you are inexperienced and can't deal with this, the whole thing will stink like a sewer to you. The smell is so intense and will bite your nose innards like nothing you ever experienced before. :)

So, you take 2-3 heads every two weeks maybe, make a bunch of sarma for several days and you have a bunch of meals for each day. The best part, though, is that the longer your Sarma stays in the fridge (and then is re-heated) the better and better it gets. If you meet some other Serbian guy in the west, please, ask them about Kiseli Kupus and Sarma - are they making it? You just might make a longtime friend with such a simple question :) 

On each special occasion Sarma is a must. It's like a religious thing. It's as common here as coca-cola is somewhere else.

I think I have one more batch of Kiseli Kupus even though it's way beyond the season, if I make I will post a pic here.

Edited by Serboi
  • Like! 1
  • 1 year later...