Sacred 2 Gold - Steam Install - Vista Bootcamped Macbook Pro

So I bought Sacred 2 Gold about a year ago on Steam and installed it. Never been able to get it to run. I have followed all the suggestions on Steam to no avail. Have spent days trying to get it to run with no luck.

Things I have tried:

Given admin permission to all S2G exe's as well as all of Steams exe's. (This seemed to work for most, didn't work for me.)

Apparently when you install via steam it is *supposed* to run a batch file (VDF) called 'installscript'. Someone said it was a bug and that was not run, thus the issue. So I would have to manually run it by going in and running the DirectX, PhysX, and VC executables. Which I did, and it said I had later versions and exited out. Now some said their version of S2G worked after they did this even if they had a better version installed. I was not so lucky.

What happens is the same thing no matter how I try to start the game; from Steam's "Play" button, via the installed icon, or the executable in the directory:

Screen goes black for about 5 seconds while it tries to get the game going. Error "Bing" happens, Screen Pops back to Desktop with a tiny window with the following:

Startup Error:

driver:[nvd3dum.dll]

graphicscard:[NVDIA GeForce GT 330M ]

device: [\\.\DISPLAY1]

InputReader initialize failed

App::Setup()failed!

So. Any help besides the obvious buy a new computer would be greatly appreciated. :) This is the only game I have never been able to get to run on m Windows side of the Mac. Driving me a bit nuts.

• Like! 1

What happens is the same thing no matter how I try to start the game; from Steam's "Play" button, via the installed icon, or the executable in the directory:
Screen goes black for about 5 seconds while it tries to get the game going. Error "Bing" happens, Screen Pops back to Desktop with a tiny window with the following:
Startup Error:

Greetings Zentastic, welcome to DarkMatters

ugh... shame that you got this game for a year now
and haven't been able to at least test it a bit.

TBH I'm not accustomed to the Steam-version of this game
but a couple things come to mind for you to check:

• is the driver ( driver:[nvd3dum.dll] ) present in your system?
  • are the graphics card drivers up-to-date?
  • how about directX, do you have at least ver.9.0c ? ( I think that one is needed for the game to work )
  • have you tried to run in ( XP ) compatibility mode? this may solve it...

Other than that there must be an errorlog file created somewhere on your system,
maybe have a closer look on what the actual problem is in there...

I hope you get this solved quickly

best regards

Hit any user to continue.

Edited by tom.morrow
  • Like! 1

Okay. None of that worked either. Can't find an error log. Just going to uninstall again. LOL

Should not take up this much time of one's life (or game playing time for that matter...) to install a game. Think I am up to five entire days now. Seriously though. Five days. Will not get them back. Maybe I will try a reinstall when I pickup a new system in the future. Or just wait for 3 I guess. Lame.

And have to say. This seems to occur quite frequently on Steam with other games as well for others I have noticed. With Steam/Devs/Producers/Owners all pointing the figure at each other. Yet people end up paying for games they can't actually play and run. Smell a nice lawsuit in someone's future.

Take care, thanks for the help and input.

So I bought Sacred 2 Gold about a year ago on Steam and installed it. Never been able to get it to run. I have followed all the suggestions on Steam to no avail. Have spent days trying to get it to run with no luck.

Things I have tried:

Given admin permission to all S2G exe's as well as all of Steams exe's. (This seemed to work for most, didn't work for me.)

Apparently when you install via steam it is *supposed* to run a batch file (VDF) called 'installscript'. Someone said it was a bug and that was not run, thus the issue. So I would have to manually run it by going in and running the DirectX, PhysX, and VC executables. Which I did, and it said I had later versions and exited out. Now some said their version of S2G worked after they did this even if they had a better version installed. I was not so lucky.

Startup Error:

So. Any help besides the obvious buy a new computer would be greatly appreciated. :) This is the only game I have never been able to get to run on m Windows side of the Mac. Driving me a bit nuts.

I'm sorry missed out on this whole thread, I'm catching up for a few days while lost in a snow storm :crazy:

It's unfortunate how Steam is working out for you. Myself, I was a late comer to the entire steam experience, not really "trusting" to have that kind of instant always on online functionality...but lately when downloading games and locking into their system, I found the steam world to be delightfully immersive, while being quick and agile with spinning up.

Is it only steam that you'd consider getting this game from, are there other vendors you can access?

A hearty welcome to you, as well, for posting here at DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

p.s. Big thanks Tom for helping out on this topic! : thumbsup: