Food glorious food - What are you eating

This was always something most of the diets I've studied said was fine to eat plenty of, low carbs, good fats and plenty of nutrients, but I could never bring myself to try it.

• Like! 1

Never knew that something like Guacamole even existed :) Well learned something new.

We will have Wissegemois (slang for Wiesengemüse) at saturday. It would translate as graslands vegs. When doing a walk with the dogs collect all kind of young vegs: nettles, dandelions, comfrey, field sorrel, goutweed,... along the path. Collecting with the kids is a lot of fun.

Wash and grind all the herbs, I prefer the grinding disc with the 3 milimetres holes.

Cut Speck (bacon/lardo) in fine cubes, roast them to let the fat out, add cutted onion till they are lightly brown. Add some bouillon brew. Now add the veg mix and boil for a while.

Serve it with potato in skin and boiled eggs.

You won't see much at a picture of Wissegemois, it is just a green mass like the guacamole. But it is yummy.

Think I did the recipe some years back in the what to do with the eastereggs thread, 3 years back I wrapped the boiled eggs with bacon stripes and roasted them in a pan.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/14591-recipes-for-all-this-easter-eggs/

Kind of tired when I finished work tonight, didnt feel like cooking, always look into the small pizzeria on the way home hoping for that perfect timing

and tonight, miraculously, there it was

pizza, freshly baked, and literally, smoking

all that steam you see on the windows is from the melting cheese that made its way to me mouth

pizza.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all my foodies hehehe It's been a while since my last food post of what I'm eating. Does it mean that I have been starving myself since?! Fear not my dears I ate plenty! I wanted to share a picture of something I made with my little guy the other day!

Easy-Cheese-Ball-Recipe.png

Edited by ladymarielle
  • Like! 1

Guess I was a bit silent recently and will be for a little more:

I live in an 300 years old wooden patchwork house which was used as farm house with an integrated tower as a firewatch for the surrounding forests. I am currently renovating it. The problem is: the antenna for my radio internet access to the switch down at valley is on its roof :(

Back to topic:

Got a wonderful dinner when visiting my birth town and it's acriculture museum.

pellkartoffeln-mit-quark.jpg

Doesn't look like much: potato in skin with Quark (sort of a german softcheese) with fine cut herbs. The problem is the internet is still not able to bring the taste. It is a hell of a difference if you do small amounts or big ones. And I mean really big amounts:

2008%20009_edited.jpg

They have an industrial potatoe boiler. When doing small amounts sadly most of the taste is kept in the water you pour away. But at these beasts it is way less water and the potatoe taste remains. They were used by travelling potato dampers who visited small farms to boil and barrel potato as pig food. I like this kind of potato a lot as a kid. Now the last traveller in potato business closed his work aged 87(!!!) and gave the machine to the museum. Luckily he toid them how to do these kind of potato and you can rend the machine for festivals or big birthdays or family meetings.

Oh it is quite a sweet dessert and not for anyone with lactose intolerance... I have wanted to try, but never gotten to doing it... Making creme brulee and other custard based desserts with coconut milk and/or cream. Maybe this shall be a good thing to try now.

Delta!

How's everyone doing? Any new and delicious recipes? I made creme brulee and man it was good!

cremebrulee-580x667.png

Marielle, wow!

Are those all your own dishes? So impressed you keep lovely creme brulee pots at hand... I'm coming over this weekend for a visit!

:hugs:

gogo

• 3 years later...

New girl at the pizza counter last night ... special for a medium pizza for only 5.99 for a single topping... ordered a bacon and it usually comes out with just a few lonely pieces spread out with lots of room tween each piece on top... but this pizza girl was a champ... just...wow!! As if a truckload of crispy, hot bacon had been poured on top! Hope she stays at our pizza place!  And for 5.99!

IMG_9537.jpg

:drool:

gogo

We went to this new korean/japanese mix place with a dancing hippo on it's windows 

that hippo got me in... at least this one time

IMG_9467.jpg

Super tiny portion of very salty meat (choice of chicken, beef, pork) and great quality veggies.  Super healthy stuff...but .. u know that feeling when you just wanted something greasy...

:lol:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed that portions in Canadian restaurants are rather large. I didn't visit, but I've relatives who're sending pics. Like 400-500gr meat and 400-500 gr fries on a plate with like 2 smallest tomatoes ever (called salad instead of garnish lol). 
Very good for a sportsman, but for a "regular joe" seems rather heavy, no? 

• Like! 1
14 hours ago, Serboi said:

I've noticed that portions in Canadian restaurants are rather large. I didn't visit, but I've relatives who're sending pics. Like 400-500gr meat and 400-500 gr fries on a plate with like 2 smallest tomatoes ever (called salad instead of garnish lol). 
Very good for a sportsman, but for a "regular joe" seems rather heavy, no? 

You're riight, soooooooooo heavy. There's a huge epidemic of obesity in North America.  Montreal less so because I guess of huge migration from french areas... I remember a member once visiting MTL and he just blurted out in a post " Everone in MTL is SO SKINNYY!!" 

:lol:

gogo

• Like! 1

Speaking about large portions:

Having a business meeting with people you never met before is a fight between etiquette and not starving.

My 192cm and 90kg have to be kept alive. Not easy for example if your business partner is a French lady with half the weight. It is easier if you were in town for a day already and could eat in advance. But if you drove to the meeting for 6 hours with the car and are hungry? 

I now understand how noble people felt at a dinner with the emperor. The emperor was served first and the low nobles were not allowed to continue eating when the king was done. The low nobles were sitting at the end (Spitz) of the table (Tafel), served last and most often left the table hungry. They had to visit a nearby restaurant to be satiated. Their preferred meal there became known as Tafelspitz.

The good thing is that most garcons know this story and know why I order a Tafelspitz ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafelspitz

Tafelspitz.jpg

• Like! 1
22 hours ago, chattius said:

Speaking about large portions:

Having a business meeting with people you never met before is a fight between etiquette and not starving.

My 192cm and 90kg have to be kept alive. Not easy for example if your business partner is a French lady with half the weight. It is easier if you were in town for a day already and could eat in advance. But if you drove to the meeting for 6 hours with the car and are hungry? 

I now understand how noble people felt at a dinner with the emperor. The emperor was served first and the low nobles were not allowed to continue eating when the king was done. The low nobles were sitting at the end (Spitz) of the table (Tafel), served last and most often left the table hungry. They had to visit a nearby restaurant to be satiated. Their preferred meal there became known as Tafelspitz.

The good thing is that most garcons know this story and know why I order a Tafelspitz ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafelspitz

Tafelspitz.jpg

good story

lol ill try to remember to order that by name next time my friend from Austria is here ^^

:D

gogo

I eat mostly at work... on days that I do work, I nibble and taste and do "quality control"(when you really just want some of what-ever-that-chef-is-cooking-because-it-looks/smells-soooo-freaking-delicious) all day long... very seldom that I will have a sit down meal there. Quickly stand at your station, and scoff down the few spoons full that you stole, or have a bite now, then come back 5min later, have another two bites, forget about it for an hour and then finally have the final few bites of the plate, ice cold.

But I do stick to healthier options. no french fries, and very seldom deep fried things. lots of vegetables, fish, fruit, cheese, some charcuterie, maybe some duck breast, lots of seeds and nuts... and butter/olive oil.

On 2018-06-06 at 7:12 AM, Delta! said:

I eat mostly at work... on days that I do work, I nibble and taste and do "quality control"(when you really just want some of what-ever-that-chef-is-cooking-because-it-looks/smells-soooo-freaking-delicious) all day long... very seldom that I will have a sit down meal there. Quickly stand at your station, and scoff down the few spoons full that you stole, or have a bite now, then come back 5min later, have another two bites, forget about it for an hour and then finally have the final few bites of the plate, ice cold.

But I do stick to healthier options. no french fries, and very seldom deep fried things. lots of vegetables, fish, fruit, cheese, some charcuterie, maybe some duck breast, lots of seeds and nuts... and butter/olive oil.

Ahhhhh... picking and eating from work... I worked in a resto for years and remember hardly ever buying groceries during those times because of all the goodies throughout the day

😄

gogo

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 7:12 AM, Delta! said:

Do you guys do a "family meal"?  This seems to be the thing that I'm seeing on tv cooking shows about restaurants.  

:)

gogo

Nope. 

The porters make food for the more junior level staff, and the Chefs make food for the managers and senior staff members. we dish up for them and have to write their names on their plates... it often just dis-appears, and someone eats two meals...

The Chefs stay in the kitchen most of the time, we don't have the luxury of a sit down meal very often. I eat standing most of the time, and my food will probably be cold by the time I get to finish it.

But I am not complaining.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 1:28 PM, Delta! said:

Nope. 

The porters make food for the more junior level staff, and the Chefs make food for the managers and senior staff members. we dish up for them and have to write their names on their plates... it often just dis-appears, and someone eats two meals...

The Chefs stay in the kitchen most of the time, we don't have the luxury of a sit down meal very often. I eat standing most of the time, and my food will probably be cold by the time I get to finish it.

But I am not complaining.

I love reading about resto operations

:heart:

gogo

p.s. course you've heard about Anthony Bourdain... :(