Food glorious food - What are you eating

6 hours ago, chattius said:

At school I visited the brewery 5 times.

chattius, I must confess I don´t like the idea that you skipped school just to visit the next, nearby brewery! (;

Jokes aside, I personally prefer Karlsberg. Bitter in taste and only enjoyable if it´s icy cold. During my time in the army we gave it to the locals. It just took two bottles to make them drunk. In exchange we got a lot of homemade ham and sausages. A good deal for both sides!

Naa, 5 different schools and each had another order when alcohol and how to make it was teached. And then the whole class visited the brewery, including testing the taste.

Once we visited and a class from a Lyzeum was on visit too. Lyzeum is a highschool just for girls. They had an old female dragon as a teacher who forced them to stay on non alcoholic drinks. Our teacher went in conversation with the dragon about different school systems, how she would teach chemistry, ...

And then he asked the person who served the drinks why the rest of HIS class wouldn't have a beer yet. The dragon was speechless but didn't protest ;)

And then our teacher gave a perfect show playing scenes from 'Die Feuerzangenbowle'. Sadly he passed away two years ago.

• Respect! 1

Huh? An entire class full of girls visited the brewery:) They drank, sweared and watched soccer too you say? Errm, where did
you say is this brewery exactly? Just for the records of course. (;

But back to topic for a moment. Let me see your pancake recipes!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

After a back breaking day of Christmas shopping all pooped out... nothign tastes as good as great, creamy, SPICY, indian food at a local eatery thats a popular haunt of students at the university... always a  sign of grat value... butter chicken thali!

IMG_0638.jpg

:)

gogo

• zomgod! 1
  • 5 weeks later...

used to always eat sugar cereals and milk for breakfast...  always thought that was the only thing I could palate in the morning...but years go by, tastes change... good lord is this peanut butter, and bananas on toast? ... every morning? :eek:

759029AA-781B-44AD-BB63-5601CDB27AB7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going down to this weekend for a week to spend time with the family... course this is the time when lots of aunts and uncles all try to drop by to drop off little bits of this n that just to get to my mom... my aunt is a prodigious cook and made three kinds of cake! Lots for us and loads for my mom... im not even sure what they are .. some taste like nuts and caramel, with a bready texture, some are smooth and creamy with the taste of rosewater and cashew nuts ...

IMG_1357.jpg

gogo

Ribs - one of these words which have a different meaning depending where you live, even in Germany Rippchen is different between areas.

We are surrounded by 'Frankfurter Rippchen' south and 'Kasseler' to the north.

'Frankfurter Rippchen' : It consists of cured pork cutlets, slowly heated in sauerkraut and usually served with sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and yellow mustard.

'Kasseler' are cured and smoked pork cutlets, served the same way as above.

So if you say just Rippchen at a restaurant you will get Frankfurter Rippchen around Frankfurt, Kasseler in Northern Hesse were Kassel is the biggest city.

If you ask in our only local restaraunt or at firefighter open-day for Rippchen:

Himmel und Erde (heaven and earth) instead mashed potatoes. It is half mashed potatoe (earth) and half mashed apple or pears (heaven). Less Sauerkraut but horseradish sauce added,

Of cause there will be leftover Sauerkraut this way so the next day is normally pea soup with the leftovers from Sauerkraut, Himmel und Erde, horseradish, meat cut from bones...  in.

Frankfurter Rippchen

Frankfurter-rippchen-mit-kraut-kpl.001-2

The 'pea soup' looks strange. But it is a recipe remaining from a time when people were not throwing any eatable thing away and is tasting quite good if you have not too much horseradish left over. We make the soup when we clean up at firefighters after an open day.

erbsensuppe-mit-sauerkraut.jpg

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

Ribs - one of these words which have a different meaning depending where you live, even in Germany Rippchen is different between areas.

We are surrounded by 'Frankfurter Rippchen' south and 'Kasseler' to the north.

'Frankfurter Rippchen' : It consists of cured pork cutlets, slowly heated in sauerkraut and usually served with sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and yellow mustard.

'Kasseler' are cured and smoked pork cutlets, served the same way as above.

So if you say just Rippchen at a restaurant you will get Frankfurter Rippchen around Frankfurt, Kasseler in Northern Hesse were Kassel is the biggest city.

If you ask in our only local restaraunt or at firefighter open-day for Rippchen:

Himmel und Erde (heaven and earth) instead mashed potatoes. It is half mashed potatoe (earth) and half mashed apple or pears (heaven). Less Sauerkraut but horseradish sauce added,

Of cause there will be leftover Sauerkraut this way so the next day is normally pea soup with the leftovers from Sauerkraut, Himmel und Erde, horseradish, meat cut from bones...  in.

Frankfurter Rippchen

Frankfurter-rippchen-mit-kraut-kpl.001-2

The 'pea soup' looks strange. But it is a recipe remaining from a time when people were not throwing any eatable thing away and is tasting quite good if you have not too much horseradish left over. We make the soup when we clean up at firefighters after an open day.

erbsensuppe-mit-sauerkraut.jpg

Hearty looking and I imagine quite delicious.  We have a lot of cold weather I. Mtl so this always eats well

😊

gogo

13 hours ago, Androdion said:

Man... that's a lot of gravy! I like my ribs dried and charred, if I do some this week I'll see if I can drop some pics.

All right rib meister ... show us what yee got!

🤠

gogo

Genius! You know at first when you said the ribs were going to be dry and charred...I didnt actually "feel" in my head what it was going to taste or look like...but now that I see them I already get a "mouth feel" :D... how do you season something like this without a saucy exterior,.. is it a rub or marinade?

gogo

p s ...dang right he'd love that stuff...heck so would I... thats some quality sauce :D 

I forgot: there are places in Germany where Rippchen are what we locally call Schälrippchen (spareribs)...

And to make it even more confusing: Wilchschweinrippchen (translates as wild boar ribs) are marinated spareribs from the boar. Because marinating and cutting them like spareribs is the only way to go with old boar meat. So the 'Schäl' is not used.

I bet: if we would collect recipes and stories in the forum we could make a great best selling book called 'Worldwide Ribs'.

Ha ha, I guess it'd be easy enough to collect enough different recipes. Starting with different rib types and then applying different regional seasonings.... that sounds very nice indeed!

Here we jokingly call these kind of ribs as "teclado", which is the direct translation for "keyboard". As in a piano keyboard where you've got white key-black-key-white key (meat-bone-meat). The best cut is the one where the meat is just a tiny bit higher than the bone but wide, so you get to cut it into "keys" after cooked and go all Fred Flinstone with your hands on the bones and your teeth sunk into the meat. Seasoning it is actually pretty simple, and you've got it right Gogo since it's a rub. Salt, pepper, oregano, a little bit of olive oil and butter. Just don't get it too oily since the idea is for the ribs to cook in their own fat, which keeps melting into the recipient. If you're doing it in a grill with charcoal you can just put salt and lemon sauce on top of it and then do a marinade on the side to splash over it while it roasts. There I like adding a spirit to give it a different kick and bring up the spices. But all in all it's pretty easy to make.

Man, I love wild boar meat, I really do! It used to be a very common thing in my area when I was young but it sort of got lost. Nowadays it's an expensive habit and I don't do it as much as back in the day. We used to cook wild boar like we do old goat's meat, in big clay pots with a lot of red wine and garlic. Old school Portuguese recipe which we call "chanfana", with the seasoning adapted to the wild boar since it's a much richer meat. I also love its ribs on the fire though, I really miss that.

Wild boar is cheap and at the same time expensive for me. A country road (100km/h speed limit) is the border to our land. So if a boar runs on the road and is killed or injured by a car I am the owner of the boar but on the other hand: MY boar had done damage to the car. So I need an insurance and have to proof that I try everything to keep the number of boars on my land below a certain level.

Currently I have 3 road 'kills' (all tree badly injured) in my storage. It gets dark when for most people work is over or starts and so the boars hunt for food at peak traffic.

That is the big negative thing to live in an ancient forest ranger house with surrounding fields and forests.

Boars older than 3 years I prefer laying in marinate and then putting in a vaccuum bag for a week before BBQing,

The good thing at wild boars: less fat, less cholesterine, no bad feeling because of thousands pigs in a hall with no room to move, no drugs like antibiotics in them, ...

16 hours ago, Androdion said:

Got home and did something simple yet complex in flavour. Codfish with scrambled eggs, seasoned with yellow habanero, celery, ground black pepper and minced parsley. Yummy!

20200220_212951.thumb.jpg.f1d589d1a9a5988bca955c2e83b153c1.jpg

Ahhhh, I love goodies eggs! I've never actually had it with cod though...  do you add it pickled, canned or smoked?  I know Schot is a huge fan of putting tuna and scrambled eggs together, power protein super meal!

gogo