Food glorious food - What are you eating

36 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Neither actually. I boil it in water, then shred it to pieces removing the skin and bones. Then you can use it for whatever purpose.

In Portugal we have like a million ways to cook cod, ha ha.

eeks.. cooking fish...lol im not there yet...out of a can it will remain for me for a bit... 

or in a mcdonalds sandwich

:lol:

gogo

But, but... why?! :lol:

Codfisf is sold salted so you just need to put it in water for a day or two to wash off the salt, and then you can deep freeze it and use it at will. And you just need to boil it for like 7 to 10 minutes. It's that simple!

Luckily we're in an area of the globe where fish is a common thing, so we love to cook it.

6 hours ago, Androdion said:

But, but... why?! :lol:

Codfisf is sold salted so you just need to put it in water for a day or two to wash off the salt, and then you can deep freeze it and use it at will. And you just need to boil it for like 7 to 10 minutes. It's that simple!

Luckily we're in an area of the globe where fish is a common thing, so we love to cook it.

E'en when I was a kid fish was the wariest choice for me.  Yes I'll eat it, and in fact will sometimes choose Salmon on a menu if i'm in a mood...but its not something I've actually ever bought... though I do love eating my mom's curried cod ...kayumbo!  Everytime I think of Portugal and watch Chef Jose Avilez cook... my mouth will water though...I guess anything prepared expertly that showcases product will be that good

:drool:

gogo

You need to come here and spend some time in villages by the sea where you can buy the fish directly from the fishermen after they bring the ships back from the water. We have such a big variety of fish that you're bound to find something to like. :D

16 hours ago, Androdion said:

You need to come here and spend some time in villages by the sea where you can buy the fish directly from the fishermen after they bring the ships back from the water. We have such a big variety of fish that you're bound to find something to like. :D

:gogo:

gogo

Ocean fish never reach us fresh enough for our way of doing fish.

Leaving the scales and the slime(mucus) layer on a trout or carp the slime and the fish will turn blue because of chemical reactions when poaching or working with vinegar/wine/citrons. People in old time did fish ponds as a reserve for misharvests. Main fish was carp to keep the water clean. Even my grandgrandgrandpa named Karpfen Blau in a letter. The used water is only nearly boiling so most of the good stuff in the fish like d-vitamins are still in. The fish has to be really fresh (a 200 metre walk for me) and has to be catched and cleaned without damaging the skin and mucus layer. Funnily this way of preparing fish is quite healthy and the people back then didn't know anything about vitamins or cholesterine.

Forelle Blau, Karpfen Blau (blue trout, blue carp)

How to do, recipe in english:

https://eatsmarter.com/recipes/blue-carp-0

blue-carp-587576.jpg

• Like! 1

That recipe has a lot of curious things regarding the preparation and cooking of the fish, completely dissimilar to how I'm accustomed to cook fish. It's a very peculiar recipe no doubt. And I'll have to say that I've never seen blue trout in my life.

• Like! 1
8 hours ago, chattius said:

Leaving the scales and the slime(mucus) layer on a trout or carp the slime and the fish will turn blue because of chemical reactions when poaching or working with vinegar/wine/citrons.

blue-carp-587576.jpg

:sick:

gogo

Perhaps it sounds better French: 'Truite au bleu', blue trout, Forelle Blau, ... In a good star restaurant you are ordered to the cellar, choose a living trout in an aquarium, and then watch the cook killing it to show that it is fresh and undamaged... A former class mate has a restaurant and owns a fish pond with trouts. People who want Forelle Blau can catch their own trout.  French cuisine is using mainly trouts, our region had historically fish ponds with carps. In the Alpes they have access to Saiblings (charr, a trout variant and in my opinion the best for it). You can use nearly any fresh and undamaged fish as long it has a layer of mucus: some catfish, young pike, ... Undamaged and fresh normally excludes sea fish or towns.

To leave the skin undamaged you have to salt and spice from the inside. If the fish is well done its body does a curve and the skin ruptures. A 3 star cook uses champagne, a one star a good white wine and myself self-made fruit wine and local fruits instead of citrons. But a carp is no trout and I like to make the carp a bit more fresh and with a taste of fruits.

9 hours ago, gogoblender said:

:sick:

gogo

Some people eat raw fish and call sushi a delicatesse ... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Sad to say but I dont usually buy a lot of food for home cooking.  Yeeks...yes...im a junk food purchaser addict... (halp!) But in the face of present circumstances I find that a touch of fear mixed with a tingle of panic does wonders for cooking at home.  And soooo... and this is funny because I know that somewhere here is a great topic somewhere about Sheppard's Pie... 

Its here again... Sheppard's Pie!... we call it by it's venerable name here Pate Chinois...  

Tonights delicacy consists of pork (alas no beef), with some cream corn and sweet niblets.  Was too lazy to peel poatoes (yeeks doing Overtime four hours tomorrow ) but was still able to mash it up all right and properly and even decently seasoned... 

We're waiting for it to pop out of the oven...stay tuned for the cookery !

Sad to say but I dont usually buy a lot of food for home cooking.  Yeeks...yes...im a junk food purchaser addict... (halp!) But in the face of present circumstances I find that a touch of fear mixed with a tingle of panic does wonders for cooking at home.  And soooo... and this is funny because I know that somewhere here is a great topic somewhere about Sheppard's Pie... 

Its here again... Sheppard's Pie!... we call it by it's venerable name here Pate Chinois...  

Tonights delicacy consists of pork (alas no beef), with some cream corn and sweet niblets.  Was too lazy to peel poatoes (yeeks doing Overtime four hours tomorrow ) but was still able to mash it up all right and properly and even decently seasoned... 

We're waiting for it to pop out of the oven...stay tuned for the cookery !

OkYOerNV4ZP94Xc_aoA2ajDg8taoEVok65tyQOu8

:)

gogo

Brother says that he signed for weekly pakets of random fresh food with included recipes. Option at your place too? He says he want to avoid supermarkets at the moment, I say that he signed because in each paket is a roll of toilet paper.

Jokes in the time of corona.

He and his wife can't do home office and work considered important for public. Luckily I can reach work without any contact to others when I drive cross country with motorbike.

• Appreciation 1

im lucky or unlucky in a way.. major grocery store on my street just 6 minute walk away...  im not gonna have to use (i think) delivery services... but will have to be very veyr careful when going outside with humans to get my groceries...

gogo

There you go again Gogo "Its here again... Sheppard's Pie!... we call it by it's venerable name here Pate Chinois... " I never did understand what you mean by z"Sheppards Pie" and now I am even more confused. In English English these pies are usually named after the meat or its Producer? Shepherd's - mutton, Cottage - beef, Game - game (oddly enough). My late son-in-law was called Sheppard but he was no cook. "Chinois" really? I have seen Middle Easterners chasing an escaped sheep down a back street in Paris for their couscous royale.

I know that forum members have been at you for as long as I can remember about this naming of yours, but I can't recall any convincing explanation. Just what is it that you are referring to ....er pal, ...or is it now ex-pal?

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

im lucky or unlucky in a way.. major grocery store on my street just 6 minute walk away...  im not gonna have to use (I think) delivery services... but will have to be very veyr careful when going outside with humans to get my groceries...

gogo

Nothing in walking distance here, we have to use car, and carry a little filled-in form with why we are out, where we are going, etc. Usually I collect milk in a 3 ltr churn from the farm, but am not sure if that qualifies. Literature I read said that bins were still being emptied but not recyling material. Bin men did not come by. Dunno what is going on. We do the shopping once a week, and otherwise stay home - and write daft posts  in fori (?)

Oh, and we try to play Vanguard on line but that is certainly only food for the dedicated

Edited by Bondbug

The mixed twins of my brother and my third are same age. They had fun driving Lamborghinis and Porsches. 12Hp and less Tractors of cause, readying 20*50m for planting potatoes. Most will be our normal variants but some will be blue and red ones I ordered from internet. They are said to are very healthy. Just in case covid19 runs for a year and mo medicine avalaible for people like my father in law.

Old school planting using a coldblood horse and a plow. At least kids have fun and can do most on their own. No school without contact to friends and classmates is a pain for them. At least the 4 kids from my brother are here so it is way less boredom.

About red potatoe:

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/ranking-types-of-potatoes-by-how-healthy-they-are

20200325_193503.thumb.jpg.1427384ae30d3838e04dd0374e8395cc.jpg

20200325_195412.thumb.jpg.5b121e4bc61dcc761f08fb42ac436f78.jpg

Spiced up madras with scorpion pepper and yellow habanero, cilantro, ginger, lemon zest, black pepper, oregano and a dash of brandy. All rounded with some fresh cream. I've never made chicken as flavourful as this one!

8 hours ago, Androdion said:

20200325_193503.thumb.jpg.1427384ae30d3838e04dd0374e8395cc.jpg

20200325_195412.thumb.jpg.5b121e4bc61dcc761f08fb42ac436f78.jpg

Spiced up madras with scorpion pepper and yellow habanero, cilantro, ginger, lemon zest, black pepper, oregano and a dash of brandy. All rounded with some fresh cream. I've never made chicken as flavourful as this one!

dang looks good!

but... scorpion peppah ??

:oooo:

gogo

1 minute ago, gogoblender said:

but... scorpion peppah :)

And a dash of yellow habanero as well, for the sour and citric flavours.:heat: It was hot as hell but without covering up all the different flavours.

22 hours ago, Bondbug said:

There you go again Gogo "Its here again... Sheppard's Pie!... we call it by it's venerable name here Pate Chinois... " I never did understand what you mean by z"Sheppards Pie" and now I am even more confused. In English English these pies are usually named after the meat or its Producer? Shepherd's - mutton, Cottage - beef, Game - game (oddly enough). My late son-in-law was called Sheppard but he was no cook. "Chinois" really? I have seen Middle Easterners chasing an escaped sheep down a back street in Paris for their couscous royale.

I know that forum members have been at you for as long as I can remember about this naming of yours, but I can't recall any convincing explanation. Just what is it that you are referring to ....er pal, ...or is it now ex-pal?

ha...im actually not too sure why its called that...though always wondered that myself.  A quick look up gives some info that it could have come from chinese immigrant workers back in he 19 th century as an economic way of putting together a dish... I've gotten tired of making pasta lately and my super power which is finding fast food at super low prices seems to not avail me these days... pototates seem to last forever ... so well see how long pate chinois can take me

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s. Always Pals Bondbug! :hugs:

21 hours ago, Bondbug said:

Nothing in walking distance here, we have to use car, and carry a little filled-in form with why we are out, where we are going, etc. Usually I collect milk in a 3 ltr churn from the farm, but am not sure if that qualifies. Literature I read said that bins were still being emptied but not recyling material. Bin men did not come by. Dunno what is going on. We do the shopping once a week, and otherwise stay home - and write daft posts  in fori (?)

Oh, and we try to play Vanguard on line but that is certainly only food for the dedicated

Vanguard...! Vanguard??

Bondbug... youre so epic

:superman:

gogo