Food glorious food - What are you eating

8 minutes ago, Androdion said:

And a dash of yellow habanero as well, for the sour and citric flavours.:heat: It was hot as hell but without covering up all the different flavours.

lol.. yah like... Flame On!

e80b3e71c7db918f425a58ace8716f22.jpg

Hope you have enough toilet paper

:4rofl:

gogo

Ha ha, I think we do. Honest joke, I was cutting up the peppers and saying to the wifey "don't worry, if it's too much at least we're closed at home". True story! :tongue:

We both love spicy food though. The pork stew on the other day had a big chunk of Carolina Reaper. Power pig! :3lmao:

• Haha 1

We are traditional more a horseradish and mustard than chili aera.

Yesterday the twins from my brother, at out house till end of easter breaks) made a no supermarket recipe as a challenge. They did:

Salade from rutabega (from glas in cellar), beargarlic (fresh from garden), apples (old ones from last year, looking ugly because of waterloss in half a year, so more taste), horseradish (harvested january, roots stored in cool sand), honey (bees were busy till november), fruit vinegar (self made), salt and pepper, self pressed walnut oil. Sour cream selfmade from milk from near farm.

Seems we need a cow for milk, I could replace pepper by planting some black mustard.

Big rutabega stripes, bit smaller apple stripes, all looked same red because of the rutabega colouring all. Really small stripes of horseradish on top. So younger kids can remove them if too hot. Fresh green beargarlic and barsley for some green spots on top.

• Like! 1

Our youngest said: In this toiled paper crisis, online recipe databases should not only list fat, proteins, ... but also the amount of toilet paper needed.

To help in fighting the toilet paper crisis she asked with a smile for some extra dark chocolade ti put on the list for next supermarket visit.

• Haha 1

Last night's eats..  anyone remember dainty rice? :lol: Most times im just too lazy after work to cook or boil something... so its rice from a can (yah i know...something almost vulgar about it :lol: ) and..it does NOT scrape out easily! ...  the chinese "flavor" in a packet is quite tood tasting... the flavor of msg is authentic... :lol: and i just microwave it and add some spaghetti sauce.. and bravo... 

gogo's food for the appocalypse!
:4rofl:

gogo

Food to colour eastereggs :

We collected onion skins for weeks now.

Next week thursday we will eat deer with blue berries.

Next week friday we will eat some fish with rice and curcuma.

Next week saturday we will eat something with boiled rutabega.

Probably you guessed it: we will boil some eggs together with the blue berry sauce, together with the curcuma rice amd together with the rutabega.

Some more eggs boiled in a pot with the onion skins. So we will have blue, yellowm brown and red eggs with nature colour.

Easter sunday we will visit anthills and roll the eggs between the ants. Ants will attack, ant acid reacts with the colour and leaves some marbled, spreckled eggs you can't do yourself.

996806_web.jpg?1269857051

Forest ants are protected in Germany, so be careful. We use to feed them with sugar and mealworms after decorating our eggs.

I will sell it to the nature science teacher as house lessons in cooking, ants, natural colours and acidic reactions.

In time of no school and no possibility (bandwith for 7 kids same time) to join live video education they want a weekly email report.

• Like! 1
30 minutes ago, chattius said:

Food to colour eastereggs :

We collected onion skins for weeks now.

Next week thursday we will eat deer with blue berries.

Next week friday we will eat some fish with rice and curcuma.

Next week saturday we will eat something with boiled rutabega.

Probably you guessed it: we will boil some eggs together with the blue berry sauce, together with the curcuma rice amd together with the rutabega.

Some more eggs boiled in a pot with the onion skins. So we will have blue, yellowm brown and red eggs with nature colour.

Easter sunday we will visit anthills and roll the eggs between the ants. Ants will attack, ant acid reacts with the colour and leaves some marbled, spreckled eggs you can't do yourself.

996806_web.jpg?1269857051

Forest ants are protected in Germany, so be careful. We use to feed them with sugar and mealworms after decorating our eggs.

I will sell it to the nature science teacher as house lessons in cooking, ants, natural colours and acidic reactions.

In time of no school and no possibility (bandwith for 7 kids same time) to join live video education they want a weekly email report.

those colors

absolutely beautiful

:girlove:

gogo

1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

It's quite an interesting thing really, eggs, in North America eggs tend to be washed and refrigerated, whereas in Europe eggs tend to be unwashed and unrefrigerated, both apparently to prevent bacterial growth and to preserve the egg. The idea seems to be that the eggs are washed because in North America there's no mandatory vaccination of chickens, but washed eggs lose a protective layer, and therefore need to be refrigerated. And in Europe hens are vaccinated against salmonella, hence leaving the protected layer intact is seen as the better alternative, and eggs aren't refrigerated in stores.

Ahhh. Id forgotten about this...  how ...odd

:D

gogo

17 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Is it safe to do so chattius? I don't know where your eggs come from (city dweller here) but I know that in general eggs sold in Europe aren't washed before they're sold, hence I would be wary putting them uncooked in other dishes (especially in the eggshell).

It's quite an interesting thing really, eggs, in North America eggs tend to be washed and refrigerated, whereas in Europe eggs tend to be unwashed and unrefrigerated, both apparently to prevent bacterial growth and to preserve the egg. The idea seems to be that the eggs are washed because in North America there's no mandatory vaccination of chickens, but washed eggs lose a protective layer, and therefore need to be refrigerated. And in Europe hens are vaccinated against salmonella, hence leaving the protected layer intact is seen as the better alternative, and eggs aren't refrigerated in stores.

1. own hens, geese and quails

2. all are vaccinated against salmonella

3. Eggs are boiled 3-4 minutes in water before put into the colouring food

4. I added

edit:WARNING: I use eggs from my own hens. They are free from any bacteria

to the original post, just in case an american lawyer reads it ;)

• Like! 1
11 hours ago, chattius said:

1. own hens, geese and quails

2. all are vaccinated against salmonella

3. Eggs are boiled 3-4 minutes in water before put into the colouring food

4. I added

edit:WARNING: I use eggs from my own hens. They are free from any bacteria

to the original post, just in case an american lawyer reads it ;)

Secure!

:pirate:

gogo

This last Christmas at my cousins we got this terrific box of edible goodies... spicy stuff, like sausage, japaeno cheese and deluxe golden crackers :chef: This last few months went by so fast, and we were so busy, that the box of food was left untouched on the table...till tonight! Ripped up the nice packaging the box came in and decided to tear into it tomorrow after I finished working at lunch time... but thought even as I ripped up the packaging it was still to beautiful to let be eaten with out least a snap and a share :heart:

zCqNo-G78oVrFdX_BdpJBm8E2ShO5HFz5V_TD8Ek

:drool:

gogo

p.s. will tell y'all how it ate tomorrow :D

Pizza soup

Au-Pair girl finished translator school. To celebrate it our oldest is busy with pizza soup in a field kitchen for 60 people, all what law allows is family members and we are only 16.

Nights are bittercold with nightfrost and this soup is warming and tasty at campfires, each family of friends has one, so it will be around 60.

Pizza soup is one of these soups I call party soups. The real taste is when you do big amounts. What is your opinion?

20tins tomato, pressed through a rough sieve

20 yellow paprica, non tasty parts removed, cut in stripes

14 leeks cut in small rings

boil that slowly for 10-15 minutes

add

5litre bouillon

7 glasses diced champignons

bring it to a boil then remove heat, no long boiling and

add

4 pounds soft cheese

and spice with

7 spoons of pizza spice

salt, pepper

4 basilicum bunches, fine cut to top the soup

This soup has as many variants as their are pizzas.

• Like! 1

Weather like this,  still border line edgy cold is great days for soup.  I love Pizza! Soup? Advanced Tech, Chattius :D

Had a super busy day yesterday, short day of work and finished after four hours... lots of catch up cleaning and laundry...but had a chance to cook another Pate Chinois...and threw some frozen veggies into it.  My last Pate Chinois kinda tasted like burnt rubber :lol: i'm not so expert at baking stuff in an oven and sometimes get the settings wrong...but this time paid to each ingredient...veggies, meat, seasoning...and came out deeeelicious!

svZq2RO_9MIFGqBemEZzJuBce9hSvxprxvyXJHte

A4PyJ5cxUZ24K3UKR179xAhZ8aK9r-BlHMFcxsWc

f7PRAmS3NqQjrJmhnesL7WMrqzpnVX4DAl8vWu_A

:chef:

gogo

p.s. I really wanna work on getting more beauty into that top layer... small hillocks with browned ridges... gonna pick up some butter next time to paint the top ? :drool: 

23 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Scrambled egg yolk does the trick, it give it a nice orange-brown and crispy top.

Yeah. Just egg wash it. You can use a whole egg with a table spoon of milk. Add some spice to that as well, but not salt, maybe some smoked paprika, herbs, crushed black pepper, cumin, etc. Just brush a bit on top before putting it in the oven, and the last 2-5 minutes(depending on how quick your oven is) put it on grill to just broil the top bit.

If you peel and cut the potatoes before the time it will cook faster than boiling them whole. 

28 minutes ago, Delta! said:

Yeah. Just egg wash it. You can use a whole egg with a table spoon of milk. Add some spice to that as well, but not salt, maybe some smoked paprika, herbs, crushed black pepper, cumin, etc. Just brush a bit on top before putting it in the oven, and the last 2-5 minutes(depending on how quick your oven is) put it on grill to just broil the top bit.

If you peel and cut the potatoes before the time it will cook faster than boiling them whole. 

56 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Scrambled egg yolk does the trick, it give it a nice orange-brown and crispy top.

Brilliant guys...what a good secret that is!  I just remember now that

my Uncle used to do that to his pizza crust when he ran a restaurant here... can hardly wait to try this out... feel like making another pie right now :lol:

:hugs:

gogo

1 hour ago, chattius said:

Pizza soup was real good. My oldest and my wife preferred it with a thin baken bread.

Delighted this soup worked out so well.  I know cooking in large amounts can be difficult to get with the proportions... I say... extra cheese pleeze!

gogo

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

Did chicken parm for the first time today, went really well I must say. Again, thank you Hairy Bikers. :bow:

20200406_202128.thumb.jpg.f8c69b792e33dc67fa228f26ee0961bc.jpg

20200406_202133.thumb.jpg.c4c55f6c711dc31f4d7a04d5362433cb.jpg

20200406_202514.thumb.jpg.7b85a59830380be0cea7331fae892965.jpg

20200406_202744.thumb.jpg.f916153bc058abf9bbe7709436a85d7d.jpg

Dude.... beautiful!! the chicken in oven looks too good... im now convinced that giving up my spam and almost beans diet is the way to go!

Thanks for the share Chattius... warm fuzzy feeling...oh yah thats hunger too

:lol:

gogo

9 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Dude.... beautiful!! the chicken in oven looks too good... im now convinced that giving up my spam and almost beans diet is the way to go!

Thanks for the share Chattius... warm fuzzy feeling...oh yah thats hunger too

:lol:

gogo

Androdion posted it, not me.

We had Falscher Hase (mock hare) which is not looking so tasty. Mock hare is like meatloaf but with boiled eggs inside to reduce the amount of meat needed. Much like this:

picture from the net

falscher-hase-mit-glacierten-moehren-und

@Androdion

@Chattius

Guys sorry about that mixup on bows of appreciation... 

Androdion... dang your food pix always look so good! How did it all come through? Were the flavors as you imagined? Im seeing some good gravy/sauce there!

Chattius, I do like eggs..but im not so good with the oven... something like putting eggs inside a meat loaf... I imagine id adore cutting that open and laying slices upon plates at a dinner...not sure if my present-day ambition and skill set matches my dreams though :lol:

gogo

If you notice closely on the third slice from the bottom going up you'll notice that you don't poke a hole, it's rolled up with the eggs already inside. Think of it like this, you place the meat on top of a wet cloth, spread it as if it was inside a tray, put the filling on top of it and then you start rolling the cloth and it gets that shape. On the third slice you can definitely notice that.

The chicken parm came out pretty well for being something I had never done before. Though in all honesty there weren't any new techniques involved. The trick is mixing parmesan cheese in the bread crumbs, and I already knew how to do breaded chicken, and slightly roast it in the oven instead of frying it like it's usually done. As for the sauce I gave it a touch of my own, the Bikers did it with red wine but I felt it'd be too "heavy" for me so I did it with dark beer and the usual tomato/onion/garlic/basel combo. I let it reduce into near paste and placed it on the bottom of the tray, slightly roasted breaded chicken on top, fresh mozzarella on top of the chicken and 20 more minutes into the oven. All in all it was fairly easy, but I was trying to get my head around on the timings. Ultimately it went really well and the tomato sauce reduced with dark beer came out really flavourful. The mix was balanced and sometimes that's the hardest thing to do. :wink:

Yes exactly as you said. But it isn't really eggs. For the size of our family we can use selfmade Stangeneier (long eggs). You can buy them at a good food or party store, at least in Germany. Or make them yourself. So every slice looks the same. No battle among kids because one has more yolk than the other...

Some eggs, carefully do the yolk in one glas and the clear in another high one. Boil the clear in the high glas, poke a hole from top to bottom in the white, fill in yolk and boil. You will have a long pole where each slice looks the same. Even a heart form for the egg slices is possible if you poke a heart shape into the white.

Since a video explains more than 1000 words:

falscher-hase.jpg