Food glorious food - What are you eating

4 hours ago, Androdion said:

So yesterday I finally got to try out the mustard seeds we bought some time ago, both black and white. I tried roasting them a bit and then fry some fish and cover with cream. It gave it a decent flavour but it wasn't "that" flavour if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to better use those seeds to cook? I tried googling a bit about it but I couldn't find very precise answers, it's mostly about the general use of them.

I know what you mean by "that" flavor... getting on point with delicate food profiles is like the difference tween rose madder and ...rose  :lol:

perhaps Theuns can help?

@Delta!

Food is ...magical

:theuns:

gogo

8 hours ago, Androdion said:

So yesterday I finally got to try out the mustard seeds we bought some time ago, both black and white. I tried roasting them a bit and then fry some fish and cover with cream. It gave it a decent flavour but it wasn't "that" flavour if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to better use those seeds to cook? I tried googling a bit about it but I couldn't find very precise answers, it's mostly about the general use of them.

Mustard seeds are great for infusions, and/or for making crusts on things like salmon or steak. You can fry them off briefly in very hot oil, just enough to crack them open. Or you can infuse them in oil or champagne for use as a condiment once you've pulsed/blended them. We've been experimenting with vacuum sealing things like pork and chicken breasts coated with different spice mixtures. That way the flavor gets forced into the meat properly. We're just enjoying a dinner made from sous-vide pork that was spiced with garlic and soy sauce, and then cooked right in the vacuum bag! Mustard seeds would be PERFECT for that!

• Appreciation 1
11 minutes ago, Delta! said:

Mustard seeds are great for infusions, and/or for making crusts on things like salmon or steak. You can fry them off briefly in very hot oil, just enough to crack them open. Or you can infuse them in oil or champagne for use as a condiment once you've pulsed/blended them. We've been experimenting with vacuum sealing things like pork and chicken breasts coated with different spice mixtures. That way the flavor gets forced into the meat properly. We're just enjoying a dinner made from sous-vide pork that was spiced with garlic and soy sauce, and then cooked right in the vacuum bag! Mustard seeds would be PERFECT for that!

I just love your answer Theuns... Love when Pro Chefs write about food... small details like *crack them open* ... 

now i know why I'll never dare cook for family and friends!

:lol:

gogo

p.s. I also asked my mom about this...she used to use mustards seed in curry's? she would fry the seeds in oil with onions and assorted other secret (sri lankan! :lol: )   ingredients to pull out that flavor for the curry... i especially remember them being in Dah... sorry Androdion, no help for your fish...but I do appreciate tis trip down nostalgia lane here guys  :drool: 

4 hours ago, Delta! said:

You just made me hungry, and I've finished eating not so long ago! :D

So both of you say that it's best to fry them in oil (or grease for that matter) instead of roasting them dry on a frying pan? I went a bit Jamie Oliver with roasting the seeds I reckon, but if the idea is to hydrate them in order to release the flavours then I guess that a kind of grease would work much better yes. Soy sauce and mustard seeds? Mustard seed in a curry paste? Oh my oh my, the brain is lighting up! I need to run a few experiments with these.

I'm also thinking about making chicken parm with the seeds mixed with the bread crumbs. That should be interesting. :)

Any pointers on using either white or black mustard seeds for this or that?

• Like! 1
12 hours ago, Androdion said:

You just made me hungry, and I've finished eating not so long ago! :D

So both of you say that it's best to fry them in oil (or grease for that matter) instead of roasting them dry on a frying pan? I went a bit Jamie Oliver with roasting the seeds I reckon, but if the idea is to hydrate them in order to release the flavours then I guess that a kind of grease would work much better yes. Soy sauce and mustard seeds? Mustard seed in a curry paste? Oh my oh my, the brain is lighting up! I need to run a few experiments with these.

I'm also thinking about making chicken parm with the seeds mixed with the bread crumbs. That should be interesting. :)

Any pointers on using either white or black mustard seeds for this or that?

Unlimited options!  I didnt know mustard seeds were so useful actually.  I remember waaaaaaaaaaay long ago when I was on my own calling my mom and getting ideas for cooking from her, and buying a jar of mustard seeds... things stayed years in my cupboard...just couldnt get my head space around it...but family I asked yesterday said they are very important for cooking at least Sri Lankan profile food... enter the Dahl... it just wouldnt taste right or *correct* without it.

We do something called "tempering"... thats the part where you roast a medley of spices in hot oil and onions to develop flavor and then toss, cook or stir it in to anything you're making...

the super hero sauce

:superman:

gogo

Mustard seeds, in order of use:

99% we use them for green manure. Mustard seed is put on harvested areas in the garden. It grews fast (at least in our climate) and covers the ground. Frost will destroy the plants but they rot on the ground and prevent soil erosion, dying of worms, .... In spring a spade is used to mix the rotten rests with the earth. The deep roots loosen the soil and the rotten plants reduce the need of fertilizer by a big amount.

The rest 1%: marinades, making own mustard, pestos, pickled cucumbers, sausages....

For sharpness the seeds have to be cracked (roasting, mortar, ...) and need water so the buildin encymes can work on the proteins to transform them into sharpness. So when needing water: the longer you roast the less water is in the seeds. if the roasted seeds are in oil they get not much water. They will loose taste.

For marinades I do a short roast and they get and spread the taste in the water containing marinade.

For mustard:

For spicing meals we make our own variant of anchovy-mustard. We make a paste from anchovies, mustard seeds, own fruit vinegar, sugar  and salt. Think we discussed the use of anchovy just a few posts ago?

• 2 weeks later...

got some sushi at the local store a few days ago... love these guys.. no matter what..i.t always seems like there's four behind the counter prepping and a cashier... good job busy people!

IMG_5800.jpg

And nothing beats eating sushi with a glass of cocktail in front of the TV!

IMG_5803.jpg

IMG_5804.jpg

gogo

Kale, I think it has dozens names here: Hochkohl (high cabbage because variants grow like a small palm, northern germany it is even named Palm cabbage), Grünkohl, Braunkohl, ....

We have the high cabbage variant  and have leek and other vegs below it. So the sun reaches all the plants. I have no spider senses but a calendar ;)

It is too early, at least for our region. The beast needs frost and a lot of it to become sweater. We take just the leaves, cut them in stripes , mix them with same amount of savoy cabbage leaves cut in stripes, blanch the mix.

Roasting onion rings in butter, add sweat cream, add the blanched cabbage heat a bit... Salt, pepper and nutmet

And since cabbage with frost is same time as for horseradish in the garden, do some fresh rasped horseradish above all.

Fits for roasted fish with potato in skin

22 hours ago, chattius said:

Kale, I think it has dozens names here: Hochkohl (high cabbage because variants grow like a small palm, northern germany it is even named Palm cabbage), Grünkohl, Braunkohl, ....

We have the high cabbage variant  and have leek and other vegs below it. So the sun reaches all the plants. I have no spider senses but a calendar ;)

It is too early, at least for our region. The beast needs frost and a lot of it to become sweater. We take just the leaves, cut them in stripes , mix them with same amount of savoy cabbage leaves cut in stripes, blanch the mix.

Roasting onion rings in butter, add sweat cream, add the blanched cabbage heat a bit... Salt, pepper and nutmet

And since cabbage with frost is same time as for horseradish in the garden, do some fresh rasped horseradish above all.

Fits for roasted fish with potato in skin

lol

ahh, high variants of cabbage...that would account its almost plasticky texture and odoriferous qualities :lol: I love it only fried...and certainly not in spaghetti sauce which Schot seems to love

:lol:

gogo

The Lippische Palme dates back to the midage. Most people prefer green leaves for the colour. But the high cabbage has many red pigments which makes it looking strange pink brown. Actually the red colour is more healthy than the green variants, the leaves are softer and it palm like growing allows to plant other vegs below, nice if you have only a small garden.

Lippische-Palme-3-Franke.jpg

When I was drafted into naval air wing I was confronted with lot of north germans who outvoted me regulary when the cookie asked what to serve after a lonk walk: Grünkohl mit Pinkel, kale with Pinkel. Pinkel is a sausage with groats of oats in. The pinkel is roasted cut half open and served with blanched kale, potato and kasseler.

800px-Gruenkohl_mit_Pinkel.jpg

• Like! 1

Bought some so-called Argentine caught shrimp last night frozen, tail-less... so knew it was gonna kind of lack in flavor...but used a lot of butter, onions, and more butter... not so happy with the color but boy did this taste good :drool:

gogo

IMG_5911.jpg

• Like! 1

And...this is just about the most expensive I've paid for a poutine in my life...  I could feel the premium in the quality of cooking of the potatoes, the cheese curds and the wine sauce (yes wine sauce!)... but something about it all just didnt come together... so its probably gonna be a smaller size next time with a more main-stream flavor profile... the texture of the stringy beef bourgignon inside was heavenly... and the name of this poutine...the montreal... we just have to get it once right ?

IMG_5972.jpg

IMG_5970.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some good food last night from the local Sri Lankan Eater... yes who would have guessed its local AND thriving, even in this covid ... masks up everyone..and make sure to keep your distance from your fellow friendlies ...  :theuns:

Boy, did this ever hit the spot .. some lbs of food.. for 10.00 CAD!! enough and more than for two !

:gogo:

gogo

IMG_6288.jpgIMG_6296.jpg62890561418__A6BA9394-CFCA-4550-B938-3F49BD028A8F.jpg

Sometimes simple is truly better.  We're used to the occasional pizza down the street piled sky-high with a long list of  ingredients...but across the street on the other side directly opposite is another pizza player... and with a thin crust instead of that deep-fried crust with only pepperoni and ..surprise surprise, best ingredient of the year... red onions... this one won our food night :heart:

IMG_6344.jpg

They interestingly enough placed the pepperoni on TOP of the cheese...this rendered out some fast, made that pepperoni extra crispy and such a joy to crunch upon. 

gogo

• Appreciation 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 9:03 AM, lujate said:

My riff on poutine (which I've never even seen IRL).  Green plantains, mushroom gravy and extra-sharp cheddar.

DSC_0046.JPG

I missed this Lujate!

taste profile wise... the shroom sauce and and cheddar are pretty close... the green plantains...thats really out of my zone for me... does that cook like a stew or softened manoca?

You are two of three... I say... this be poutine!

gogo

With the covid outbreak we bought a lot of seeds for strange salades and vegs. This week we harvested our first Winterpostelein-miners lettuce. It can resist snow and frost so nice for some vitamins in winter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claytonia_perfoliata

duerr-samen-winterpostelein.jpg

We tried different recipes because one of its names here is: Kubanischer Spinat- spinacj from cuba. So my wife tried to prepare it like a normal lettuce salade I did it more like spinach.

• Like! 1
52 minutes ago, chattius said:

With the covid outbreak we bought a lot of seeds for strange salades and vegs.

We tried different recipes because one of its names here is: Kubanischer Spinat- spinacj from cuba. So my wife tried to prepare it like a normal lettuce salade I did it more like spinach.

hah, talk about coincience .. your talk of lots of seeds made me remember my strange journey last night... for some reason my youtube rabbit holing last night brought me to ... u guessed it. .the world's most powerful vault in norway that keeps the world's variety of seeds categorized and filed away in case of global apocalypses resulting in "loss of diversity" 

for real?

yes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

svalbard-global-22-1920x1200.jpg

:oooo:

gogo

3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

hah, talk about coincience .. your talk of lots of seeds made me remember my strange journey last night... for some reason my youtube rabbit holing last night brought me to ... u guessed it. .the world's most powerful vault in norway that keeps the world's variety of seeds categorized and filed away in case of global apocalypses resulting in "loss of diversity"

It is not only global warming, nuclear disasters which gave birth to the idea. I know that Germany has a big seed bank for wheat, corn, barley, ... Old sorts which are dying out because of the more productive gen manipulated ones. They are kept in case that a new disease may affect the new sorts. Same reason I have old sort of hens and a cow dog. Noone wants them anymore, too few eggs per year. But give me a hen which can survive -20C, catches mice and young rats, ...

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I missed this Lujate!

taste profile wise... the shroom sauce and and cheddar are pretty close... the green plantains...thats really out of my zone for me... does that cook like a stew or softened manoca?

You are two of three... I say... this be poutine!

gogo

I fry the plantains.  I slice them about 1/4-3/8" and fry in a cast iron skillet.  Five minutes per side and serve.  I end up with something that vaguely resembles home fries.

dsc_0013.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like! 1