Food glorious food - What are you eating

On 3/19/2021 at 2:31 AM, Delta! said:

You can make an onion marmelade. Start by slicing the onions and cook them in a bit of oil. On a medium heat, stir every now and then if the base of the pot is not wide enough for maximum cover. Once the onions are starting to release a lot of juices, add a few tablespoons of sugar (I used an overly sweet dessert wine, instead of sugar) but honey or syrup can also be used. Brown sugar will give it a bit of a more caramel flavour. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and it starts to look a bit dry again. Add more sugar (more than the first time) and a bit of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook out more on a low heat for quite a while. It must be jammy, sticky and thick...

I added pork belly crisps. That I dried out in the oven. 

It keeps in the fridge for a very long time if sealed properly and can be served with a variety of things.

omgod... Theuns we call this ... or a version of it in Sri Lankan cooking... Seeni  Sambal...kind of  like a super spicy onion cooked ... marmelade i guess? lol good word you called it..here's a pic of it... my mom actually simmers the entire onions down in oil, adds cinnamon sticks, cloves and some kind of dried fish and LOADS of power chilli powder

:dance2:

gogo

First time ever did more than a 2 k run/walk this morning and was able to make it to the top of the oratory... a celebratory

cheese, zucchini, onions  omelette!

IMG_0606.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bok choy last night... first tiem eating it... SO CHEAP and SO CUTE!.. the flavor is insane.. kind of green and with a crispy bulb and long leafy.. leaves .. it added well to my stir fry but I can see the profile in my head...

mushrooms, onions, chcicken stock?

:D

64082810916__A3F991C2-149E-4EAE-A72B-AA053083A4CF.jpg

gogo

• Like! 1

and finally! veggies have gone kind of cheap here in MTL... up the street from us is a cool out door market.. 12 bux for all this!

IMG_0959.jpg

will probably last five days

:lol:

gogo

• Like! 1

Call it the traditional way a Restepfanne (put all the rests you have in a pan) and your guests won't eat it. Do it the modern way and call it 'vegan climate friendly one tray superfood' and young people are fighting for it... We have a group of biology students doing their practical classes in our forest. Our oldest is showing trees and plants and did the one tray on a portable oven: Wild sort of shikake mushrooms, beargarlic, onions, red potatoe, broccoli, Grünkorn, winter apples and pears,... All was rests and mixed on a tray. 

If asked for the exact recipe she said it is a family secret. Nearly true because we use our belly feeling when mixing the rests and there is no recipe because it is allways different.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 5:03 AM, chattius said:

Call it the traditional way a Restepfanne (put all the rests you have in a pan) and your guests won't eat it. Do it the modern way and call it 'vegan climate friendly one tray superfood' and young people are fighting for it... We have a group of biology students doing their practical classes in our forest. Our oldest is showing trees and plants and did the one tray on a portable oven: Wild sort of shikake mushrooms, beargarlic, onions, red potatoe, broccoli, Grünkorn, winter apples and pears,... All was rests and mixed on a tray. 

If asked for the exact recipe she said it is a family secret. Nearly true because we use our belly feeling when mixing the rests and there is no recipe because it is allways different.

those mushrooms, onions and potatoes sound like the beginning of a perfect salad! I've started eating...better... :lol: over the last few months... and I am indulging in egg and cheese omelettes every morning after  rIMG_1219.jpg

:)

gogounning... food is good!

• 2 weeks later...

Not usually a fan of sausage...was never really sure how to cook them, they'd come out mostly raw and burnt on the outside in past attempts :lol: But my new fitness kick has brought me closer to cookingIMG_1441.jpg more proteins than ever, hence the sausage pick up cuz it was on sale :D ...  

Called my Aunt and she got me going on how to get it going in the pan, and at the same time... she said i could used the fat rendered from the sausage to ... two in one here folks.. cook the AWESOME Pork Loin that I picked up on sale too... this came out marvelous :heart:

gogo

• Like! 1

Kind of super cut back on refined starches.. crackers, cake, cookies, muffins, (waaaaaaaaaaah :cry: )  and have really started eating a ton of protein and veggies... finding myself cooking a bunch of meat at once and then slicing it up as the week goes by... pepper steak on sale!

IMG_1508.jpg

Rhubarb is ripe, so the classical cake for today which is a work free religious day.

Riwwelkuche met Rabawer would be local slang, Streuselkuchen mit Rhabarber the correct german, crumb cake with rhubarb

We will do it in the baking house (yes people can finally use it together again) and the twins will do the cake while I do the heating.

Sweet Streusel/crumbs and sour rhubarb pieces for the contrast. Thin yeast dough.Hope it will look like this ;)

My wife and the second like it with powder sugar, I without,...

rhabarber-streusel-kuchen.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 5:17 AM, chattius said:

Rhubarb is ripe, so the classical cake for today which is a work free religious day.

Riwwelkuche met Rabawer would be local slang, Streuselkuchen mit Rhabarber the correct german, crumb cake with rhubarb

We will do it in the baking house (yes people can finally use it together again) and the twins will do the cake while I do the heating.

Sweet Streusel/crumbs and sour rhubarb pieces for the contrast. Thin yeast dough.Hope it will look like this ;)

My wife and the second like it with powder sugar, I without,...

rhabarber-streusel-kuchen.jpg

I missed this chattius .. that desert looks extraordinary 

🤤

gogo

On 7/17/2021 at 5:00 AM, gogoblender said:

I missed this chattius .. that desert looks extraordinary 

🤤

gogo

It is a nice and easy sour and sweet cake, nice for summer. Rhubarb is over its time, but Jostabeeren (yosta berries:)) are ripe now and the same recipe just with the berries instead the rhubarb can be used.

Jostaberry is a breed mix from Johannisbeere (black currant) and Stachelbeere (black gooseberry).

The next fruit riping and replacing the Jostas will be Klaräpfel (white transparent), an early but very sour apple which can't be stored too long.

The josta-berry cake is very much like this, just josta- and not gooseberries. We do also a baking house version with yeastdough on rectangle plates. A layer of baking vanilla pudding covers the dough and is below the crumbs and fruits.

https://www.esterkocht.com/german-gooseberry-cake-with-vanilla-cream-and-crumble/

picture from above link

German-gooseberry-cake-with-vanilla-crea

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A buddy of mine in Austria has been on this insane diet of almost just protein and veggies... he's actually gotten quite fit, taken up running (yay!)  and is so meticulous with his food.

check

253c9e88-7496-4c34-b7fe-a133b5fb4ba6.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

Bienenstich, translate it as Bee-Sting-Cake

Election day today, and having to overlook the local voting from 8am to 6pm some old ladies were nice and came with Bienenstich and coffee.

There are two origins for the name:

A town was under attack and young boys noticing it threw beehives from the walls and the attackers fled. The celebrity of the victory was done with a special cake.

My grandma said: covered with honey from bees and the cream thickened so you can do a Stich (german for a thrust or a sthing) into it. And when combining both they were choosing Bee-Sting.

Be it the first or the second reason, the cake is really tasty. Every family has its own variant of the cake.

• Like! 1
On 9/26/2021 at 10:37 AM, chattius said:

Bienenstich, translate it as Bee-Sting-Cake

Election day today, and having to overlook the local voting from 8am to 6pm some old ladies were nice and came with Bienenstich and coffee.

There are two origins for the name:

A town was under attack and young boys noticing it threw beehives from the walls and the attackers fled. The celebrity of the victory was done with a special cake.

My grandma said: covered with honey from bees and the cream thickened so you can do a Stich (german for a thrust or a sthing) into it. And when combining both they were choosing Bee-Sting.

Be it the first or the second reason, the cake is really tasty. Every family has its own variant of the cake.

Love honey Chattius.  Think I mentioned a few weeks back that my cousin and wife bought some hives for their farm and are loving to bottle it... we came ahead with a few yummy bottles, though very light as you mentioned that bee sting cake looks delightful and delicious, the story matching its excitment

:D

gogo

On 10/2/2021 at 8:45 AM, chattius said:

Mom showed how to do her Schneewittchenkuchen (Snowwhite Cake). Black hair, white skin and red lips is how Snowwhite is described in the fairytale. Another common name is Donauwellen (waves of the river Danube).

When naming it Donauwelle the cake has several wave shapes in and on it. For the Snowwhite variant it is more about the colour and the cream should be nearly white and the chocolade part is bigger.

Donauwelle

77141158.jpg

I remember those! they come in packages in small European food stores around the city!

gogo

Today we do in evening at firefighters:

Speckkuche

Oldest written recipes are from 15th century. Oldest found pieces date back to 4th century. It was a calory heavy cheap food for farm hands. Our version;  small fatback cubes, leek, onions,  not the season for bear garlic, parsley, eggs, Handkäse, Schmand and caraway for the cover. Rye-flour yeast-dough as the base. Big plates for the baking house.

We do only the white part of leek. Red, white and green it would look too italian. Red and White is the Hessian flag. Old tomatoes variants weren't grewing in Hessian climate. Else Pizza would be invented 1000 years earlier and Hessian and not Italian ;)

1600x1200_speckkuchen.jpg

• Like! 1
14 hours ago, chattius said:

Today we do in evening at firefighters:

Speckkuche

Oldest written recipes are from 15th century. Oldest found pieces date back to 4th century. It was a calory heavy cheap food for farm hands. Our version;  small fatback cubes, leek, onions,  not the season for bear garlic, parsley, eggs, Handkäse, Schmand and caraway for the cover. Rye-flour yeast-dough as the base. Big plates for the baking house.

We do only the white part of leek. Red, white and green it would look too italian. Red and White is the Hessian flag. Old tomatoes variants weren't grewing in Hessian climate. Else Pizza would be invented 1000 years earlier and Hessian and not Italian ;)

1600x1200_speckkuchen.jpg

Just got back outside from a brisk outdoor walk.. could easily gobble a dozen of those delicious goodies.. looks like pizza means no holds barred 

:drool:

gogo

Sniff, was called to the secondary twice a night. At 8 pm a car drove into a roe and it had the front legs broken several times. Had to kill it. At 4am another call nearly the same place, half year old boar with a broken backbone, another forced to kill.

Here landowners have hunting rights and duties when they don't give the hunting right away. If a car collides with wild game the hunting rights owner has to check for injured animals and has to report the insurance compamy about a animal-car collision.

So with nearly fresh but damaged meat and storages full we will do gekochte Zwiebelwildmettwurst - boiled Mettwurst from wild game with onions which is put in glasses. It can be stored quite long.

• Like! 1
On 10/7/2021 at 5:50 AM, chattius said:

Sniff, was called to the secondary twice a night. At 8 pm a car drove into a roe and it had the front legs broken several times. Had to kill it. At 4am another call nearly the same place, half year old boar with a broken backbone, another forced to kill.

Here landowners have hunting rights and duties when they don't give the hunting right away. If a car collides with wild game the hunting rights owner has to check for injured animals and has to report the insurance compamy about a animal-car collision.

So with nearly fresh but damaged meat and storages full we will do gekochte Zwiebelwildmettwurst - boiled Mettwurst from wild game with onions which is put in glasses. It can be stored quite long.

What a deeply organic story. Very often in my world of dollar stores quick bites and packaged foods I forget how deeply indebted and connected I am to people like you who do the bloodwork I’m starting the process of getting food to our mouth’s… I’m grateful… Roadkill in jars… Astonishing 

🥰

gogo

Actually it was more a road-injury. As long the heart is till beating you can bleed the animal out. At a roadkill things get more complicated law wise. Roadkills have to be moved to the Tierkörperverwertungsanstalt = an institute (Anstalt) responsible for rendering (verwerten) corpses (Körper) from dead animals (Tier).

It gets more complicated if the animal is injured but left the crash site. Searching with dogs, even asking friends to help. With cellular phones not always working hunting horns are used to signal things like: start the hunt, boar dead, deer dead, secure guns, ...

• Like! 1
On 10/14/2021 at 9:13 AM, chattius said:

Actually it was more a road-injury. As long the heart is till beating you can bleed the animal out. At a roadkill things get more complicated law wise. Roadkills have to be moved to the Tierkörperverwertungsanstalt = an institute (Anstalt) responsible for rendering (verwerten) corpses (Körper) from dead animals (Tier).

It gets more complicated if the animal is injured but left the crash site. Searching with dogs, even asking friends to help. With cellular phones not always working hunting horns are used to signal things like: start the hunt, boar dead, deer dead, secure guns, ...

Love the resourcefulness of your teams" actions.  Sustainability, and thoughtfulness.

gogo