Food glorious food - What are you eating

14 hours ago, chattius said:

A Römertopf has a cap/cover. Because of the water in the clay walls the food isn't burned and needs no additional liquid (water/wine/oil). So all the taste stays in the food and no taste goes in the boiling liquid or into the air as in normal pots.

Without a cap the no burning effect is still there, but water leaves. Good way to thicken food.

My mom says a lot of cooking was done for her this way in her youth... it really keeps curries well... and its a big touristy thing now in Sri Lanka

:lol:

gogo

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

First week of lockdown here, back to Masterchef mode (it's not like I can do anything else). :dntknw:

20210118_211007.thumb.jpg.75e370a913d7a243df138c8320e55afc.jpg 20210120_203457.thumb.jpg.9532ea43eb1d1689331f1739fe81aace.jpg

20210119_201117.thumb.jpg.eff914f53e1e6316f142142061b1c8ad.jpg

Show off! :lol: That's just awesome Androdion... Great that yer back in food space world with all the goodies... that Asian stir fry steals my heart ... i love those vegetable slices... what are the two food plates..is that a kind of desert at the top right corner?

Thank you for the share sir!

:hugs:

gogo

On your left ladies and gentlemen we have fish and sweet potatoes, oven roast, and on the right stuffed portobellos with a coating of grilled Grana Padano and sprinkled with a heavy dose of Parmesan.

Sad realisation of the day was that I hadn't done stuffed mushrooms since the last lockdown... :nono:

It's nice to feel the warmth here, but my head really isn't at its best for a long time now. And the situation here is on the brink of total collapse, so I guess I'm finding some refuge in the meals and drinks these days.

• Appreciation 1
10 hours ago, Androdion said:

On your left ladies and gentlemen we have fish and sweet potatoes, oven roast, and on the right stuffed portobellos with a coating of grilled Grana Padano and sprinkled with a heavy dose of Parmesan.

Sad realisation of the day was that I hadn't done stuffed mushrooms since the last lockdown... :nono:

It's nice to feel the warmth here, but my head really isn't at its best for a long time now. And the situation here is on the brink of total collapse, so I guess I'm finding some refuge in the meals and drinks these days.

ahhh, the portabellos...those are HUGE... i can never get enough courage to get those... I think i tried once back last year... :oooo:  and bravo on this first stuffing for a while! I can relate to your feeling re covid permeating all the parts of our lives.  We have curfew now starts at 8 00 pm till 5 00 am in the morning...and we're only allowed to get non essentials.  I only get a few hours of sun and when I get out it's pretty cold... - 14 last night :oooo: 

We shall persevere with our warm comfy food cave sir and fare aplomb to the summer break!

:hugs:

gogo

My cousin has a renovation company here in Montreal.  We've always been close and lately with this pandemic we've started to do drive by drop-offs to share food! :bounce: He, of course, is the master, especially with proteins..i'll try my best but spaghetti seems to be my only dependable gig :lol: Here's pic of him and his wife doing the trade, oh so early in the morning... covid safe and oooooooooooh so delicous!. He was sneaky yesterday... asked me whether I eat Live...  :sick: but somehhow manged to put it in  with some type of lemon grass curry paste... oh so delicious...and the other side features... Spam Curry!

:4rofl:

IMG_7181-COLLAGE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:41 AM, Androdion said:

20210203_213339.thumb.jpg.3e66df4182681bab0d1571bad533cd9d.jpg  20210203_213344.thumb.jpg.24a272fc4bf1565e407c69330279b64c.jpg  20210203_213741.thumb.jpg.8ed93804a8f31f3adc4f50a7a0332db4.jpg

pure artistry !

How much work and time does it take to create that kind of meal... all those levels and rolls... inspired

Please list some of those ingredients...whats all that surrounding it.. mushrooms?

:theuns:

gogo

20 hours ago, gogoblender said:

pure artistry !

How much work and time does it take to create that kind of meal... all those levels and rolls... inspired

Please list some of those ingredients...whats all that surrounding it.. mushrooms?

:theuns:

gogo

To be honest it took me around two to two and a half hours total, from preparation to being on the table. The meat was prepared for stuffing by the butcher shop, so I only needed to do the rest. The stuffing was prepared aside with purple onion, celery, a mix of portubellos and brown mushrooms, raisins, nuts and almonds, seasoned with nutmeg, salt and black pepper, with a bit of ghost pepper for added bite. The base of the roast was white onion with a bit of red habanero, bay leaf, orange zest, and what you see on the sides are chestnuts. Roasted slowly at first on both sides and then at max temp on the lower grill for the sauce to caramelise a bit since it had white wine and whisky on top of the olive oil and butter. It was left slightly sweet as well as fresh and spicy, very balanced. The chestnuts absorbed all of the flavours and after the sauce caramelising a bit their flavour was pretty intense.

All in all the flavour was incredible. I was very happy with the result, and so was the wife who ate it like three times since then. :D

Yesterday I grilled baked chicken breasts with bread crumbs, oat meal chunks and parmesan cheese all mixed up. This was the end result:

20210205_214029.thumb.jpg.3ac89f8d18c710daf1619cc9cf0f4a8a.jpg

Tomorrow I'm making ossobuco for the first time. Wish me luck! :theuns:

• Appreciation 1
On 2/6/2021 at 8:32 PM, Androdion said:

To be honest it took me around two to two and a half hours total, from preparation to being on the table. The meat was prepared for stuffing by the butcher shop, so I only needed to do the rest. The stuffing was prepared aside with purple onion, celery, a mix of portubellos and brown mushrooms, raisins, nuts and almonds, seasoned with nutmeg, salt and black pepper, with a bit of ghost pepper for added bite. The base of the roast was white onion with a bit of red habanero, bay leaf, orange zest, and what you see on the sides are chestnuts. Roasted slowly at first on both sides and then at max temp on the lower grill for the sauce to caramelise a bit since it had white wine and whisky on top of the olive oil and butter. It was left slightly sweet as well as fresh and spicy, very balanced. The chestnuts absorbed all of the flavours and after the sauce caramelising a bit their flavour was pretty intense.

All in all the flavour was incredible. I was very happy with the result, and so was the wife who ate it like three times since then. :D

Yesterday I grilled baked chicken breasts with bread crumbs, oat meal chunks and parmesan cheese all mixed up. This was the end result:

20210205_214029.thumb.jpg.3ac89f8d18c710daf1619cc9cf0f4a8a.jpg

Tomorrow I'm making ossobuco for the first time. Wish me luck! :theuns:

Had NO idea that a butcher could do that for us... actually carve and cut up meat the way we ask?  I'm used to the kind of grumpy service I get from our local super super market where i just pick out what they've left for us on the shelves :lol: ... are you truly going to a "butcher shop" or a very kind department of your main super market? The profile of the stuffing sound delicious (y) Where did it come from? Are these flavors that you're familiar with or is it a specific food profile that you've read about somewhere that you wanted to try? I feel like I'm on wild new paths... .. all all the techniques you're combining like caramelize, roasting, timing... :lol:... its way beyond me right now with my food skills but ... i adore every time you post and explain the food you're sharing...thanks for putting all this time in and a very hearty luck friend with the ossobuco...I've only read about it and have seen pix of restaurants serving it in Montreal...surely yours will be a gem

:)

gogo

There are supermarkets who get their meat delivered already ready to sell and there are super markets which have there own butchers and they get half pigs and caddle to prepare in the market.

If I go to one of the second kind and order 'Rollbraten gefüllt' I am asked how the filling should be. If I am asked when just entering and do a full weekend shopping then often it is ready when I am done with the rest of shopping.

It is ready for roasting and all kept together with a net. But it is mainly if whole family eats together which is not the case currently.

rollbratentitlebild.jpg

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

Had NO idea that a butcher could do that for us... actually carve and cut up meat the way we ask?  I'm used to the kind of grumpy service I get from our local super super market where I just pick out what they've left for us on the shelves :lol: ... are you truly going to a "butcher shop" or a very kind department of your main super market? The profile of the stuffing sound delicious (y) Where did it come from? Are these flavors that you're familiar with or is it a specific food profile that you've read about somewhere that you wanted to try? I feel like I'm on wild new paths... .. all all the techniques you're combining like caramelize, roasting, timing... :lol:... its way beyond me right now with my food skills but ... I adore every time you post and explain the food you're sharing...thanks for putting all this time in and a very hearty luck friend with the ossobuco...I've only read about it and have seen pix of restaurants serving it in Montreal...surely yours will be a gem

gogo

Ha ha, that's actually what a butcher really is, not just a guy who sells meat but who prepares it. The new management of the butcher shop I've gone for years is tip top, sadly the previous owner passed away last year, but they managed to keep the standards very high. To be honest I think the meat is even better right now, and it was already very good! So yeah, we usually order specific cuts when we want to do stuffing or other things. You can order the meat from specific parts of the animals, as well as whole/cut/with or without bone. It's an art actually to work with those knives. :)

I have a bit of my own food profile if you will, and then sometimes I get more adventurous with different spices or veggies or stuff like that. Sometimes doing something you've done your whole life with a different technique or with a different spicy touch makes for a whole new dish. The mushrooms we purchase fresh and then freeze them, it's more convenient this way as we can always have them around.

As for the ossobuco, well, it was good for my first time. But I've already learnt a couple of things I shouldn't do next time. Living and learning!

20210207_134253.thumb.jpg.219d191ea776afa4041a994b0be4a15e.jpg   20210207_135102.thumb.jpg.a60b5070864d47b18d74962012373ab8.jpg   20210207_141239.thumb.jpg.5daaaeecf62a3b007f54c8146a67a8b2.jpg

• Like! 1

I just had the absolute best ravioli! A package caught my eye in the fridge section; it was called Giovanni Rana. The package said something like "Italy's most loved", and I thought "well, crap, that's a pretty darn big claim, man!" All I can say is good heavens, this stuff makes every other ravioli I've ever had  seem like Chef Boyardee. I needed that, because I was watching the most disappointing movie I've ever seen while eating it; Bill and Ted Face the Music. It's not even that Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves were bad; it's their daughters, man! They were one dimensional, over-the-top jokes. It would have actually been better if Alex and Keanu would have put on wigs and played their own daughters. I felt like..... I felt like when John Wick's puppy was slain in the first John Wick. All I could do when I saw the poor puppy was sputter "no!!!!", "why!?!", "that's.... how could they?!?" I don't get attached to movie characters, but the puppy, man! It's the first time I had a genuine tear in my eye from a movie in a long time.  And that's how I felt when I saw Bill and Ted 3. 

Anyway, ravioli: Giovana Rana, pick some up, it just might totally change the way you see ravioli.  

• Appreciation 1
7 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I just had the absolute best ravioli! A package caught my eye in the fridge section; it was called Giovanni Rana. The package said something like "Italy's most loved", and I thought "well, crap, that's a pretty darn big claim, man!" All I can say is good heavens, this stuff makes every other ravioli I've ever had  seem like Chef Boyardee. I needed that, because I was watching the most disappointing movie I've ever seen while eating it; Bill and Ted Face the Music. It's not even that Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves were bad; it's their daughters, man! They were one dimensional, over-the-top jokes. It would have actually been better if Alex and Keanu would have put on wigs and played their own daughters. I felt like..... I felt like when John Wick's puppy was slain in the first John Wick. All I could do when I saw the poor puppy was sputter "no!!!!", "why!?!", "that's.... how could they?!?" I don't get attached to movie characters, but the puppy, man! It's the first time I had a genuine tear in my eye from a movie in a long time.  And that's how I felt when I saw Bill and Ted 3. 

Anyway, ravioli: Giovana Rana, pick some up, it just might totally change the way you see ravioli.  

My fiance and I make our own Ravioli. I bought some activated charcoal a while ago and we made black pasta. Then I wanted to have some more fun and made a yellow pasta (used lots of turmeric). We just cut it into ribbons(tagliatelle) and had it with roasted veggies and meatballs... Then I though why not make bumblebee ravioli. We minced our own pork, added spices, seasoning, added finely chopped onions, mushrooms and green pepper, grated parmesan. I rolled one sheet of the yellow pasta and one sheet of the black pasta put the filling on the black pasta and put the yellow pasta over, proceeded to seal and cut them. It looked really nice. The black and yellow pasta each had a bit of different flavour as well. We served it with a pesto and I was very happy.

• Appreciation 1
7 hours ago, Delta! said:

My fiance and I make our own Ravioli. I bought some activated charcoal a while ago and we made black pasta. Then I wanted to have some more fun and made a yellow pasta (used lots of turmeric). We just cut it into ribbons(tagliatelle) and had it with roasted veggies and meatballs... Then I though why not make bumblebee ravioli. We minced our own pork, added spices, seasoning, added finely chopped onions, mushrooms and green pepper, grated parmesan. I rolled one sheet of the yellow pasta and one sheet of the black pasta put the filling on the black pasta and put the yellow pasta over, proceeded to seal and cut them. It looked really nice. The black and yellow pasta each had a bit of different flavour as well. We served it with a pesto and I was very happy.

And that's why you're a chef and I'm just an amateur cook! :bow:

My mother-in-law bought a box of brown mushrooms which weren't playing along after a few weeks, so she gave it to me to take care of them. So today was mushroom day, ha ha.

20210210_121708.thumb.jpg.3bd617d2fc59412794851dfb309da491.jpg  20210210_124016.thumb.jpg.8d8456e3ef8bdfdfb2ceb45a14a7f1bb.jpg  20210210_133722.thumb.jpg.78cfe8e27a722df252ad5281f4052b96.jpg  20210210_130706.thumb.jpg.158b6432851851bd5aa1717e4095062d.jpg  20210210_141858.thumb.jpg.644b369017d333def8fa2369c2cf469f.jpg

• Appreciation 1

Ahh, thank you, Delta, I forgot the most important two words in that story: store-bought. That ravioli changed the way I think about store-bought ravioli, which is a big deal in my house. I have a picky five year old, as five year olds can be. The thing with mine is that he won't eat fast food, nor will he eat things that taste store-bought. That's slightly problematic at the moment, as I broke my leg badly. So, technically, I didn't pick the ravioli up, Jenn did; I saw it while she was Facetiming me from the grocery store. Anyway, Connor won't eat things that taste store-bought, which is kind of picky for someone whom I caught eating an eraser with his giant rabbit in my den a few months ago. Those rabbits are expensive, by the way. Last year, the Border Collie died while Connor was having a shunt revision, and he was more distraught than I thought he'd be ( I caught him peeing on the dog when he was two, which is bizarre since he's an animal lover like me). He wanted a bunny, which is fine, but he just had to have a Flemish giant rabbit. She's a big ole sweetheart, but....... dang. For that price, I could have got Connor a whole darn warren of Lionheads. But nope, he had to have the big, big bunny. And I'm a big ole softie.

So, anyway,  Giovanni Rana has changed the way I see store-bought ravioli. 

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

Do you make lot of recipes with onions this time of the year?

With no kids aged 2-8 around we won't do our traditional easteregg coloring by laying them in forest-ant hills. But we collected tons of dry onion skins to color the eastereggs this year. Small plant and flowers are placed on the eggs, then linnen is wrapped around. Then the eggs are boiled with the onion skins.

Recipes, recipes we need more recipes what to do with onions :)

ostereier-rot-faerben-mit-zwiebelschalen

• Like! 1
18 hours ago, chattius said:

With no kids aged 2-8 around we won't do our traditional easteregg coloring by laying them in forest-ant hills. But we collected tons of dry onion skins to color the eastereggs this year. Small plant and flowers are placed on the eggs, then linnen is wrapped around. Then the eggs are boiled with the onion skins.

You can make an onion marmelade. Start by slicing the onions and cook them in a bit of oil. On a medium heat, stir every now and then if the base of the pot is not wide enough for maximum cover. Once the onions are starting to release a lot of juices, add a few tablespoons of sugar (I used an overly sweet dessert wine, instead of sugar) but honey or syrup can also be used. Brown sugar will give it a bit of a more caramel flavour. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and it starts to look a bit dry again. Add more sugar (more than the first time) and a bit of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook out more on a low heat for quite a while. It must be jammy, sticky and thick...

I added pork belly crisps. That I dried out in the oven. 

It keeps in the fridge for a very long time if sealed properly and can be served with a variety of things.

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, Delta! said:

I added pork belly crisps. That I dried out in the oven. 

It keeps in the fridge for a very long time if sealed properly and can be served with a variety of things.

Have to try the pork belly crisps variant. I am used to fruit-containing variants because we have Griebenschmalz (lard with crisps from pork skin) in different variants whish is way closer to lard smeared on a bread.

Normally before eastern in the northern half of the globe is also the time to get rid of old fruits stored in the cellar: apples, quinces, pears, sloes, ...

My recipe for a swiss-army-knife onion confiture, used on a butter bread, to make roasted geese crispy, roasted crispy pig feet, added to cheese...

Base recipe because I always change it to how juicy fruits stored for half a year are:

2 pounds cubes from mixed sour fruits: winter apples, winter pears, Speierlings.

1 pound cubes from quinces (for some extra pectin as a gelling agent)

3 pounds onions

2 cinnamon sticks (*), later removed

10 fine cut trunks from thyme

2 pounds brown sugar (*)

1 pound honey

half litre white balsamico (*)

give all in a pot and mix it, let it work of half an hour, heat while stitting still it boils for 4 minutes and into glasses. Can be stored in a cold cellar for a year.

(*) are things not from the garden and I have to buy

Griebenschmalz with apple and onion pieces added for roasting while releasing the lard:

brotwein-apfel-grieben-schmalz-zwiebel-m

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 8:57 AM, Androdion said:

Ha ha, that's actually what a butcher really is, not just a guy who sells meat but who prepares it. The new management of the butcher shop I've gone for years is tip top, sadly the previous owner passed away last year, but they managed to keep the standards very high. To be honest I think the meat is even better right now, and it was already very good! So yeah, we usually order specific cuts when we want to do stuffing or other things. You can order the meat from specific parts of the animals, as well as whole/cut/with or without bone. It's an art actually to work with those knives. :)

I have a bit of my own food profile if you will, and then sometimes I get more adventurous with different spices or veggies or stuff like that. Sometimes doing something you've done your whole life with a different technique or with a different spicy touch makes for a whole new dish. The mushrooms we purchase fresh and then freeze them, it's more convenient this way as we can always have them around.

As for the ossobuco, well, it was good for my first time. But I've already learnt a couple of things I shouldn't do next time. Living and learning!

20210207_134253.thumb.jpg.219d191ea776afa4041a994b0be4a15e.jpg   20210207_135102.thumb.jpg.a60b5070864d47b18d74962012373ab8.jpg   20210207_141239.thumb.jpg.5daaaeecf62a3b007f54c8146a67a8b2.jpg

That is a very beautiful and rich looking sauce.  I can feel the word *unctuous* spelled out upon my tongue :D I dont really have the depth of cooking or profiles to create something like that ...yet.  I guess some motivation is required...but looking at photos like these of food being created by actual members is a joy.

:thumbsup:

gogo

On 2/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, Androdion said:

And that's why you're a chef and I'm just an amateur cook! :bow:

My mother-in-law bought a box of brown mushrooms which weren't playing along after a few weeks, so she gave it to me to take care of them. So today was mushroom day, ha ha.

20210210_121708.thumb.jpg.3bd617d2fc59412794851dfb309da491.jpg  20210210_124016.thumb.jpg.8d8456e3ef8bdfdfb2ceb45a14a7f1bb.jpg  20210210_133722.thumb.jpg.78cfe8e27a722df252ad5281f4052b96.jpg  20210210_130706.thumb.jpg.158b6432851851bd5aa1717e4095062d.jpg  20210210_141858.thumb.jpg.644b369017d333def8fa2369c2cf469f.jpg

Lordy...mushrooms!! I'm imaginging what can be done...fried, fricaseed,stewed,baked, stuffed.. I've really only tried two or three kinds here...but seeing so many in play rekindles my courage

gogo

On 3/18/2021 at 8:09 AM, chattius said:

This is beautiful Chattius... an extraordinary tradition... hand in hand with easter egg coloring!

:dance:

gogo

On 2/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, Gilberticus said:

How could i have missed your post Gilberticus...and about food AND John Wick's incredible puppy!  Happy you found such epiphany in a store-bought ravioli...but ... thinking bill and ted's Face the Music was comparable to the pain we felt from that puppy's death?

:eek:

gogo

p.s. you gave me plenty reason to skip this offering in netflix this last month... thank you !