Food glorious food - What are you eating

I loooove spicy food. Thai Curry, Indian Curry, South African Cape Malay Curries, middle eastern dishes. give them all!

• Like! 1

I think Cape Malay is the kitchen which is a mix of local to the cape spices and spices workers from India and Malayia brought with them when they were forced to work for the British at the cape ?

https://www.biltongblog.com/south-african-cape-malay-curry-recipe/

Sometimes very interesting recipes result from mixes of kitchens. My Bratwurst recipe and the Handkäse (hand formed sour cream cheese) from my wife results in a Bratwurst filled with Handkäse pieces. 

Great if eaten with roasted onions and mashed potato ;)

• Like! 1

It is basically what Chattius said. Indian and Malaysians that came to South Africa as slaves, but they had to cut back on the hot spices, and use more fragrant spices, because the Euros and brits could not stomach such hot levels of spices.

Same reason we use more spices in our cured meats, like biltong and droewors.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Dragon Brother said:

I'm not great with super hot food, but love the taste. It's an entirely different set of flavors and seasoning compared to western cuisine.

heh, funny... even im not really so great these days for super spicy food...but adore the new flavors and combinations... I'll always go with something a little less spicier .. as long as it has curry powder, coconut milk and shrimp.. hellooooooooo laksah!

seafood_laksa.jpg

:)

gogo

I hope I don't start a flame war. A classmate and friend was choosing the option to do 5 years of merchant navy instead 18 month being drafted to army. He served as a cook on freighters and one year on a arctic research ship.

'You can't survive as a cook on a ship with a crew from different cultures if you try to do excellent European food and use fine herbs for spice . Some like the herbs others hate it. But no one and I say no one has the balls to say that the food is too hot in spices as long as another likes it.'

As a cook he had less time in harbours and kept his money. He now runs a restaurant specialized on local food but he gives cooking lessons and then he teaches food all over the world. The former king of the Netherlands was born near and so we have a lot of Dutch and South-African tourists. So I enjoyed Cape Malay at a cooking lesson once. Free one, because we exchanged recipes: local ones from me and international ones from him.

And for hot spices: I was collected wild horse-radish on my last walk with the dogs. Wild ones grows slow and so has way more aroma ;)

13 hours ago, Delta! said:

It is basically what Chattius said. Indian and Malaysians that came to South Africa as slaves, but they had to cut back on the hot spices, and use more fragrant spices, because the Euros and brits could not stomach such hot levels of spices.

Same reason we use more spices in our cured meats, like biltong and droewors.

gonna have to do some research on your native foods and preparations... very new words for me and so exciting to see our beautiful world filled with novel goodies 

gogo

20 hours ago, chattius said:

I think Cape Malay is the kitchen which is a mix of local to the cape spices and spices workers from India and Malayia brought with them when they were forced to work for the British at the cape ?

https://www.biltongblog.com/south-african-cape-malay-curry-recipe/

Sometimes very interesting recipes result from mixes of kitchens. My Bratwurst recipe and the Handkäse (hand formed sour cream cheese) from my wife results in a Bratwurst filled with Handkäse pieces. 

Great if eaten with roasted onions and mashed potato ;)

Fan of bratwurst since me and my bro first had it in Paris first trip visting when kids... course of all things to order on our "main" dinner... German food

:lol:

gogo

I work in a medium sized office.  Each department this week is having a "snack day" where they bring in all kind of goodies, like cupcakes, cookies, brownies, fudge... some people have made cheese balls and meatballs and today there was even a giant pot of sausage gravy and biscuits (southern U.S. biscuits, not cookies).

I have resisted ALL OF IT so far, for the sake of staying true to the low-carb lifestyle I've been on for the last 10 months.

Hardest week of my life.  And it's only Tuesday.

But... I and some of my work friends have organized a cookie day, for the Friday before Christmas.  That event I AM contributing to, and I'm working really hard to be steadfast until that date.  It really helps to have a reward at the end.  I'm bringing peanut butter cookies.

And of course Christmas week it will probably be no holds barred.  I have most of the week off work, and there is a local business that sells the most wonderful peanut butter fudge this time of year.  I will be enjoying that.

• Like! 1
12 hours ago, Flix said:

I work in a medium sized office.  Each department this week is having a "snack day" where they bring in all kind of goodies, like cupcakes, cookies, brownies, fudge... some people have made cheese balls and meatballs and today there was even a giant pot of sausage gravy and biscuits (southern U.S. biscuits, not cookies).

I have resisted ALL OF IT so far, for the sake of staying true to the low-carb lifestyle I've been on for the last 10 months.

Hardest week of my life.  And it's only Tuesday.

But... I and some of my work friends have organized a cookie day, for the Friday before Christmas.  That event I AM contributing to, and I'm working really hard to be steadfast until that date.  It really helps to have a reward at the end.  I'm bringing peanut butter cookies.

And of course Christmas week it will probably be no holds barred.  I have most of the week off work, and there is a local business that sells the most wonderful peanut butter fudge this time of year.  I will be enjoying that.

I love what you're doing at work.  I've found that there's just nothing as strong as food thats capable of bring up people's spirits while encouraging them to get involved.  Company I work for Fido (part of a huge company Rogers telecommunications) has a huge center here in MTL...headoffice fof canada, and our production floor is the size of a foot ball floor all internal :lol: 

I applaud your bravery and conviction sir... staying strong in the face of delicious Carbs...

nothing more terrifying than that :D

What I REALLY like is that you've set yourself a day of controlled consumption... so this way you "gets some of it" but it's in your power.  That for me...choosing before hand to indulge in something I'm not supposed to has always given me both the satisfaction of feeling like im getting some of the bad stuff while also feeling that I'm doing the right thing.

Lets see those cookies!

:chef:

gogo

They have a new chef at my uncle's hotel in Sri Lanka... My aunt for a while was not interested at all in what was coming out of the kitchens...but these days... magic!

9d03c2db-473c-4092-98e1-490fcc288414.jpg

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We've had to stay in for most of Christmas... *cry*... Mom actually cancelled most of the Christmas outings because of this nasty cough...but yesterday it got so much better...and we attended our favorite junk food spot... BroadWay Pizza!   It was either that or ShakeShack... head so much about the latter, but...just wasnt feeling it,.. but boy when we opened up that pizza at home...the aroma!... 

There is just simply no way that a pizza with this much cheese on it can be served in Montreal ...its' just too expensive! It cost 25 bucks for a large...but by the time you ordered so many extras to match the amount of cheese piled up on top and artfully melted, you'd have hit at least a hundred bux!

And while you cant enjoy the delicious aroma or perhaps miss those pools of hot fragrant oil wobbling in the center... enjoy this darling sausage pizza's visuals!

piz.jpg

• Haha 1

Just got back from New Orleans. Overall the food was hit-or-miss, but the breads and desserts (except for beignets) were all amazing.

Highlights:

Peach ooey-gooey cake (spiced cake with cream cheese frosting)

Brioche French Toast

Black Forest biscuit (chocolate biscuit sitting on grenache topped with pitted cherries)

BBQ shrimp and grits

Edited by lujate
Forgot the beignets
19 hours ago, lujate said:

Just got back from New Orleans. Overall the food was hit-or-miss, but the breads and desserts (except for beignets) were all amazing.

Highlights:

Peach ooey-gooey cake (spiced cake with cream cheese frosting)

Brioche French Toast

Black Forest biscuit (chocolate biscuit sitting on grenache topped with pitted cherries)

BBQ shrimp and grits

My brother and his wife went to visit there for Mardi Gras last year.  They're a big fan of spicy food and sea food so they got filled well... I also remember hearing them talk about the beignets... outstanding!

I saw you list bbq shrimp and grits... I LOVE that stuff !

:dance:

gogo

On 12/28/2018 at 5:11 PM, gogoblender said:

We've had to stay in for most of Christmas... *cry*... Mom actually cancelled most of the Christmas outings because of this nasty cough...but yesterday it got so much better...and we attended our favorite junk food spot... BroadWay Pizza!   It was either that or ShakeShack... head so much about the latter, but...just wasnt feeling it,.. but boy when we opened up that pizza at home...the aroma!... 

There is just simply no way that a pizza with this much cheese on it can be served in Montreal ...its' just too expensive! It cost 25 bucks for a large...but by the time you ordered so many extras to match the amount of cheese piled up on top and artfully melted, you'd have hit at least a hundred bux!

And while you cant enjoy the delicious aroma or perhaps miss those pools of hot fragrant oil wobbling in the center... enjoy this darling sausage pizza's visuals!

piz.jpg

Oh that pizza does look real good...

Pizza here is not that expensive... some restaurants are expensive, but they cater to international guests... so those are the places we usually avoid...the quality of the food is generally not worth the price of the food...

39 minutes ago, Delta! said:

Oh that pizza does look real good...

Pizza here is not that expensive... some restaurants are expensive, but they cater to international guests... so those are the places we usually avoid...the quality of the food is generally not worth the price of the food...

We can get dollar type style pizza here too...but its thin as cardboard and the cheese is more like flakes

:lol:

gogo

oh...:eek:

eeeeeeuuuuuuuuuwwwwww! and people buy that?

I am going to admit that I am a food snob... and I have not had KFC, MC Donalds, and other extremely commercialized food brands in about 7 years... I do support chain brands... but when the chain has a recipe, instead of a depot where they get all the supplies from. Simply Asia is one of my favourites here on SA, but each restaurant has a Thai chef that cooks, and has his commis and demi chefs that he train, they obviously have recipes that they have to follow, but you can watch them mix your food and dish in the kitchen, from the things you can buy from the Asian supermarket...

• Like! 1
47 minutes ago, Delta! said:

oh...:eek:

eeeeeeuuuuuuuuuwwwwww! and people buy that?

I am going to admit that I am a food snob... and I have not had KFC, MC Donalds, and other extremely commercialized food brands in about 7 years... I do support chain brands... but when the chain has a recipe, instead of a depot where they get all the supplies from. Simply Asia is one of my favourites here on SA, but each restaurant has a Thai chef that cooks, and has his commis and demi chefs that he train, they obviously have recipes that they have to follow, but you can watch them mix your food and dish in the kitchen, from the things you can buy from the Asian supermarket...

I do love how inexpensive chain brands foods are, though the quality of the product is probably not on the top ten health list :4rofl: 

Simply Asia...I havent actually heard of that, but if it feels like what it reads like... we're talking south asian foods, south east asian as well? Thai, Singapore maybe? I LOVE those flavor profiles!!

gogo

On 1/1/2019 at 7:56 PM, lujate said:

For years,  McD's was where you ate during long driving trips. I recently discovered that Subway is nearly as common and much better IMO.

I agree its better... but just as many places? Pricing's also higher as well.  Heck... you can get a double hamburger here in Mtl for 1.99 with Extra Red Onions and Thai sauce on top...

Wooot!

gogo

15 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I agree its better... but just as many places? Pricing's also higher as well.  Heck... you can get a double hamburger here in Mtl for 1.99 with Extra Red Onions and Thai sauce on top...

Wooot!

gogo

True. The morning I saw a billboard for a $1 double burger.