Food glorious food - What are you eating

20 hours ago, lujate said:

True. The morning I saw a billboard for a $1 double burger.

Look at the magic of what you just said.  A single dollar for a burger.  That's like a miracle for anyone in less fortunate countries than us... and for us..its the fast road to weight gain and rocketing cholesterol levels :blink: Course... we are what we choose to eat, and a dip every now and then into the maws of fast food won't do anything drastic...I hope :lol:

My latest unbelievable pricing from Mcd's...and this one dropped my jaw...SIX nuggets...for two bucks!

Nuggets here in Canada are monstrously overpriced and, of course, my favorite item...aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:oooo:

gogo

2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Look at the magic of what you just said.  A single dollar for a burger.  That's like a miracle for anyone in less fortunate countries than us... and for us..its the fast road to weight gain and rocketing cholesterol levels :blink: Course... we are what we choose to eat, and a dip every now and then into the maws of fast food won't do anything drastic...I hope :lol:

My latest unbelievable pricing from Mcd's...and this one dropped my jaw...SIX nuggets...for two bucks!

Nuggets here in Canada are monstrously overpriced and, of course, my favorite item...aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:oooo:

gogo

Agreed. A $1 mass produced burger is an achievement. But like you said, there are other costs.

A quick calculation for a meal with a hungry family at a burger or my favourite rest for truckers shows the trucker rest as a total winner: price, satiation, less waste

The only disadvantage is that it is not central in the city. But if we drive to the city we can rest there on the way in or out.

At the trucker rest I can buy bottles by the litre and not 0,2l glasses. No waste: because steel forks, spoons, glass glasses, ...

A total satiating meal for me is 4,50 Euro. It includes a 0.33 Apfelschorle (apple wine with mineral water) and a Bauernfrühstück. Since a single burger is far from satiating and not really something I like ...Pay more for less

Bauernfrühstück (farmers breakfeast): potato, onions, leek, dices of sausages, bacon, chives all roasted in a pan. Then short before serving add twirled eggs and create something like an omelett. Recipes vary since it was a food made from rests you had. But in my area if you order it at a restaurant it is very close to what I wrote. I would consider the picture below this as a kids dish, at least for my kids ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauernfrühstück

1280px-Bauernfr%C3%BChst%C3%BCck_(2).JPG

Picture from German wiki

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 6:46 AM, chattius said:

A quick calculation for a meal with a hungry family at a burger or my favourite rest for truckers shows the trucker rest as a total winner: price, satiation, less waste

The only disadvantage is that it is not central in the city. But if we drive to the city we can rest there on the way in or out.

At the trucker rest I can buy bottles by the litre and not 0,2l glasses. No waste: because steel forks, spoons, glass glasses, ...

A total satiating meal for me is 4,50 Euro. It includes a 0.33 Apfelschorle (apple wine with mineral water) and a Bauernfrühstück. Since a single burger is far from satiating and not really something I like ...Pay more for less

Bauernfrühstück (farmers breakfeast): potato, onions, leek, dices of sausages, bacon, chives all roasted in a pan. Then short before serving add twirled eggs and create something like an omelett. Recipes vary since it was a food made from rests you had. But in my area if you order it at a restaurant it is very close to what I wrote. I would consider the picture below this as a kids dish, at least for my kids ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauernfrühstück

1280px-Bauernfr%C3%BChst%C3%BCck_(2).JPG

Picture from German wiki

looking good and deelish...

how bout this today... and just wolfed down a few minutes ago... I've started falling in love with A and W.....they run a hot griddle like 24 / 7 ... and serve Beef that's just been cooked a scant few second before hitting your mouth...oh, the joy! :bounce:

take a gander at this folks... and on sale for 3 99...Ola Beef Delicioso...A la Teen Burger!

dcf0b3dd-b3bb-489a-9b57-c9f7ad6a75b9.jpg

:drool:

gogo

My just awesome aunt living east of us in Montreal asked me over for some dinner and chatting (course it always comes down to helping them with hacking their locked accounts *rolls eyes* )  ...but just chatting with someone whom I've known almost all my life is so satisfying and heart warming..he's got a warm, very monotone voice that's able to pique at the perfect moment and hold my interest while im breathless...oooh, family gossip :4rofl:

She cooked dry-fried shrimp (spicy!), basmatti rice, dahl, and some chicken, and curried vegetables... man I love rice and curry, home style!

IMG_2054.jpg

:dance:

gogo

And.. just saw my awesome Aunt again for a quick visit this afternoon after I left work.  This time she'd pulled out all the stops, and.. this insane pizza... home made dough (they used to own a pizzeria), blend of delicious meats and the most beautiful, fragrant sauce imaginable...hats off and props to me Aunty!

image.png

image.png

:)

gogo

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 4:05 AM, chattius said:

A dog walk lunch

Walking with the dogs early Sunday morning and collecting young herbs, deep frosted fruits still on bushes and mushrooms. We call them Winterpilze, winter mushrooms. The cultivated form sees no light and is grown in a special room with a special atmosphere and well known: enoki. I prefer the wild forms however. Tasty soup.

Flammulina_velutipes.JPG

EnokitakeJapaneseMushroom.jpg

I missed this...

Chattius, I LOVE mushrooms!

So lucky that you have such delicious products close by that you can forage

gogo

Grandma taught collecting food and herbs. She was 16 in World War 2 as a nurse. She was hiding and fleeing all the way from the Baltic to Germany. Bet I learned more about nature spending a week with her in summer breaks than in all the years at school.

• Like! 1
12 minutes ago, chattius said:

Grandma taught collecting food and herbs. She was 16 in World War 2 as a nurse. She was hiding and fleeing all the way from the Baltic to Germany. Bet I learned more about nature spending a week with her in summer breaks than in all the years at school.

you're lucky too...thats the kind of super schooling I get with my gramma as well because of all the skills she had to wax strong with raising up six kids in Sri Lanka ...lol these days I think most stuff would just come in a box,  with its tossed away outside thrown into a recycling bin

:lol:

gogo

Was up in the country this weekend with the family... lo and behold, these magical buttermilk biscuits appeared...hot, moist and so fragrant... my nephew took this snap, his first..he carefully put the home made jam on top then laid the top piece of biscuit atop it at an angle...

showing promise Jake!

image.png

gogo

Left overs...

Monday we had a village Meeting. Every land owner was allowed to vote who will get the hunting License in the area for the next 2 years. As a snack Mettbrötchen (raw minced pork on a half bread roll)  were served,

640px-Mettbroetchen.jpg

The ones which weren't eaten were broken in pieces and put in a soup, together with vinegar, onions, spices… Variant of a old local recipe when the brew from boiling meat and sausages at a house butchering was used as a base for a soup.

We had it yesterday after at volunteer firefighters when we were checking our trucks and pumps.

Because of the vinegar we call it Sauer Broi, sour brew. Hard to say what tastes better, Mettbrötchen or the Sour Broi. The Soup gets it full taste only if you make a lot of it.

• Like! 1
12 hours ago, chattius said:

Left overs...

Monday we had a village Meeting. Every land owner was allowed to vote who will get the hunting License in the area for the next 2 years. As a snack Mettbrötchen (raw minced pork on a half bread roll)  were served,

640px-Mettbroetchen.jpg

The ones which weren't eaten were broken in pieces and put in a soup, together with vinegar, onions, spices… Variant of a old local recipe when the brew from boiling meat and sausages at a house butchering was used as a base for a soup.

We had it yesterday after at volunteer firefighters when we were checking our trucks and pumps.

Because of the vinegar we call it Sauer Broi, sour brew. Hard to say what tastes better, Mettbrötchen or the Sour Broi. The Soup gets it full taste only if you make a lot of it.

I can imagine this taste... must be s flavorful!

But... I thought we always had to cook pork all the way through... this is new to me!

:drool:

gogo

Interesting post Chattius.

I imagine there must be some quite strict food quality requirements associated with eating raw pork? But I guess if you can eat sashimi / sushi, steak tartare, etc. then as long as the pork is fresh and isn't infected with anything then why not...

Very strong laws about raw pork. Only from fresh not frozen, can be sold only the day it is produced, must be cooled all the time below 7C, people making it need a license,,, That's why the leftovers were put in a soup. I may eat raw pork up to 2 days old, but only if I have total control on the cooling and preparation. Too many people working on it and I am cautious. Nearly all deaths because of food in Germany are because of raw vegs with coli bacteria or poisonous vegs.

I have a license for butchering and preparing raw pork myself and trust people who make it. It must be culture. If not living at the coast many people here hate the idea of eating raw fish. Because it is dangerous to eat the local fish raw.

• Appreciation 1
12 hours ago, chattius said:

Very strong laws about raw pork. Only from fresh not frozen, can be sold only the day it is produced, must be cooled all the time below 7C, people making it need a license,,, That's why the leftovers were put in a soup. I may eat raw pork up to 2 days old, but only if I have total control on the cooling and preparation. Too many people working on it and I am cautious. Nearly all deaths because of food in Germany are because of raw vegs with coli bacteria or poisonous vegs.

I have a license for butchering and preparing raw pork myself and trust people who make it. It must be culture. If not living at the coast many people here hate the idea of eating raw fish. Because it is dangerous to eat the local fish raw.

Ok, that sounds pretty reasonable then.

I wonder how it tastes...

• Like! 1
11 hours ago, Dragon Brother said:

I wonder how it tastes..

Cool...

And I mean mean both meanings of the word. Hot dog, burger, steak are all eaten warm. Mett has just the right temperature (not too cold) to get the taste which is enforced by its fat. Fat is needed for some aroma to be carried. It lacks the taste of roasting or smoking which is actually good for a food eaten cool.

Controlled raw is not necessary more dangerous. Smoking, roasting give a taste because of burned stuff, be it the wood or the hide and it is considered to may cause cancer. If you eat too much of it. So there is one thing left. What will your stomach do with raw pork?

There are some studies which say that people who grew up in an area with a history of milk producing have far less lactose intolerance and same studies say that this may be valid for raw pork too. On the other hand: Eating mik products is just 6000 years old, raw meat is in our genes for million years. Raw pork is nearly totally made into its amino acids in the stomach. It are the vegs which need bacteria to digest them. So if you eat too much Mett you may get a hungry or even hurting pain in your belly. It is because your colon has nothing to do and may be empty. So you should give your colon some work too. I like bread roles with some seed and made from not so fine flour . Some onions and caraway on the Mett, salt and pepper,...

Taste

Good meat recipes say you should not overdo the heating so the taste giving amino acids are not broken apart. Mett gets no heat at all so it keeps the full taste of the flesh liquid (whats the word?) which is inside a crispy hide at roasting or BBQ.

And no...

We don't eat it every day. I like it as a snack at parties or events. The perhaps crazy thing is: I like it at parties in hot summer when it is the most dangerous to eat. But people are used to it. As soon as a plate with Mett leaves the kitchen people take and eat it right away. The people responsible for it don't leave Mett too long on the tables. 

Same is for buying it. I don't buy it in summer if I have no cool box in the car. We live too much outside to have it uncooled in the car.

• Like! 1
13 hours ago, chattius said:

Cool...

And I mean mean both meanings of the word. Hot dog, burger, steak are all eaten warm. Mett has just the right temperature (not too cold) to get the taste which is enforced by its fat. Fat is needed for some aroma to be carried. It lacks the taste of roasting or smoking which is actually good for a food eaten cool.

Controlled raw is not necessary more dangerous. Smoking, roasting give a taste because of burned stuff, be it the wood or the hide and it is considered to may cause cancer. If you eat too much of it. So there is one thing left. What will your stomach do with raw pork?

There are some studies which say that people who grew up in an area with a history of milk producing have far less lactose intolerance and same studies say that this may be valid for raw pork too. On the other hand: Eating mik products is just 6000 years old, raw meat is in our genes for million years. Raw pork is nearly totally made into its amino acids in the stomach. It are the vegs which need bacteria to digest them. So if you eat too much Mett you may get a hungry or even hurting pain in your belly. It is because your colon has nothing to do and may be empty. So you should give your colon some work too. I like bread roles with some seed and made from not so fine flour . Some onions and caraway on the Mett, salt and pepper,...

Taste

Good meat recipes say you should not overdo the heating so the taste giving amino acids are not broken apart. Mett gets no heat at all so it keeps the full taste of the flesh liquid (whats the word?) which is inside a crispy hide at roasting or BBQ.

And no...

We don't eat it every day. I like it as a snack at parties or events. The perhaps crazy thing is: I like it at parties in hot summer when it is the most dangerous to eat. But people are used to it. As soon as a plate with Mett leaves the kitchen people take and eat it right away. The people responsible for it don't leave Mett too long on the tables. 

Same is for buying it. I don't buy it in summer if I have no cool box in the car. We live too much outside to have it uncooled in the car.

It definitely sounds like something I'd try.

I have no qualms trying new things and "Some onions and caraway on the Mett, salt and pepper,..." sounds pretty good to me!

Ah well, maybe if / when I get to Europe I'll have to swing by Germany.

And I definitely agree on not overcooking meat, red meats have to be medium-rare!

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the info about the Pork, Chattius, I never knew this could be a possibility...and under such stringent guidlines! :bounce:  

Been a while since I've posted here... just thought I'd put up a pic of us eating food with my Ammamma (93! :bounce: ) . My Aunt, uncle and I went to visit here, and my aunt, who's an amazing cook, skilled with loads of Sri Lanka dishes, brought over some rice with shrimp and some tasty ribs... good ole family eating time... cant beat it!

image.png

:hugs:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

Mom was down here for the long weekend, and course we had to visit Ammamma... her first time eating Sushi, and I was surprised! My mom ordered the dish, and she doesnt eat a lot of this...and anything saying "sushi burger" instantly associates castrophic failure to me...but what a surprise... great fish texture, the avocado was in the interior was superb, and the bun... never seen anything like it... it compressed and crackled .. just the sound alone made me smile...stuffed with lobster and salmon...deeeeeeeeelightful

:chef:

p.s. check out the yummy prawn crackers it came with... my 94 year old grandmother was pleased :heart:

image.png

• Appreciation 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Last weekend at my cousin's place and his wife, just by me mentioning that this was a pie from the American South that I'd been hearing about on the net... Chess Pie...never had, and the kids at the BBQ went crazy over it... just wow! took this pic of it as she pulled it out of the oven, but ... as if any of us were gonna let this thing cool down :drool:

IMG_4530.jpg

gogo

16 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

Last weekend at my cousin's place and his wife, just by me mentioning that this was a pie from the American South that I'd been hearing about on the net... Chess Pie...never had, and the kids at the BBQ went crazy over it... just wow! took this pic of it as she pulled it out of the oven, but ... as if any of us were gonna let this thing cool down :drool:

IMG_4530.jpg

gogo

Chess Pie...? I have never heard of that...? can you describe the texture and flavour? does it require any specific ingredients like Key lime, or amalfi lemons?

was SO simple she said...she has ingredients like this all the time at their house, she's always baking... I had been chatting about this pie with my friend about a week before, after seeing that this famous chef in NYC famed for her deserts and featured on NetFlix had been fasinated by this Chess Pie from the American south that anyone with low means could put together with staples from their cupboard... The texture? Akin to a pecan, but no pecans or brown sugar or molasses..just this sweet gooey taste, that some chefs add vinegar to to get a sourness in it... here's a basic recipe:

Ingredients

3 egg yolks.

1 cup granulated sugar.

2 teaspoons cornmeal.

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.

1/2 cup milk.

1/4 cup butter, melted.

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.

1 (9 inch) pie shell, unbaked.

gogo

Schmandkuchen anyone?

Kids like this variant:

Thin layer of yeast dough. Then a layer of double the dough thickness from vanilla pudding. On top a layer with dough thickness of Schmand mixed with sugar and if liked bit a cinnamon.

Kuchen is cake, and Schmand is cream fermented by milk acid bacteria. This makes the cream stiffer and sour.

So it is a nice not so sweet cake for hot summer days.

There are like hundred variants to add fruits or Streusel, or....

173600-960x720-hessischer-schmandkuchen.

• Like! 1