Food glorious food - What are you eating

8 hours ago, gogoblender said:

was SO simple she said...she has ingredients like this all the time at their house, she's always baking... I had been chatting about this pie with my friend about a week before, after seeing that this famous chef in NYC famed for her deserts and featured on NetFlix had been fasinated by this Chess Pie from the American south that anyone with low means could put together with staples from their cupboard... The texture? Akin to a pecan, but no pecans or brown sugar or molasses..just this sweet gooey taste, that some chefs add vinegar to to get a sourness in it... here's a basic recipe:

Ingredients

3 egg yolks.

1 cup granulated sugar.

2 teaspoons cornmeal.

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.

1/2 cup milk.

1/4 cup butter, melted.

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.

1 (9 inch) pie shell, unbaked.

:chef:

gogo

I shall be trying this gogo, and hopefully I will remember to post the result here...

• Like! 1

The chef's name was Christina Tosi...she was featured on an episode of netflix's food doc series, Chef's Table.... a special episode on desert pastry.  She was able to "extract' the magical essence of "cereal milk" an have it highlighted in several new desert ideas.  One of them was a small new desert place she opened in New York city called Cereal Bar.

She, for the resto meal that eveyrone shares in these restaurants had to produce something for the meal and she opted for desert and invented something called "crack pie' which everyone fell in love with and she says is based upon this "Chess Pie" which, and I have researched, is still discussed as to what the name is about.

:)

gogo

Love it! I've been eating more and more veggies lately, and have been getting more imaginative.  The colors in your meal are fantastic. And that gravy or soup/sauce?

Details please

:D

gogo

Well, that "soup" is a chutney. :D I used to just drop soy cream on the veggies, but one day I wanted to do curry with coconut milk and while doing my research online I stumbled about the term chutney. So it's basically a reduction of fruit, coconut milk and spices. I used curry madras, spicy cayenne, ground black pepper and peach (I've done it before with both pineapple and mango, all of them work very nicely). That's what's on the first pic, which is then turned over into the wok and serves as the veggie's cream.

I stir-fried the veggies, first with garlic, spicy cayenne, carrot, sweet red pepper and shiitake mushrooms. I recently bought a new brand of soy sauce and it's great, barely any oil in it and a lot of flavour, so a bit of olive oil and soy sauce for stir-frying the veggies. After those were softened I added the softer more fast baking veggies, courgette and eggplant, both from the backyard (thanks father in law!). Those get mushy very fast so it's just a bit of heat, stir a couple of times and on goes the chutney. Left it boil a bit and voilá, served with white rice (not sure if basmati or thai, but both work very well).

• Like! 1

In South Africa we make chutneys with vinegar and sugar. The most commonly found chutney is apricot or peach chutney, But I have made it with pineapple, apple, pear, orange juice and skin, a bit of lemon. the base that you start with is just frying off some onions in a bit of oil, then add some off the sugar (I prefer brown sugar), then start layering the fruit and give it a quick fry with the onions, if you want it hot, add a chili or two as well. It must almost start caramelizing, then add the vinegar (stand back, as the vinegar fumes can knock you back), then spices like cardamom, star anise, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves...stir it through, and add a bit more sugar. turn the heat on low and let it cook until all the fruits are soft an the juices have formed a sticky-like syrup. 

This is a very common brand we have in South Africa, and can be found in almost every household kitchen (not in mine though, they use to much sugar and glucose)

image.png.63eb150167e1627cd3d5dabf6bcd5b27.png

It has sparked many jokes being called Mrs Balls chutney... 

• Like! 1

I made some reductions with balsamic vinegar and fruit in the past as well. But those I've made differently, more to serve with grilled chicken breast for instance. I remember making one with lime, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and something else I can't really remember right now, and it was indeed syrup-like because of the sugar reduction. When served cold over the grilled meat, which tends to get a bit dry on the mouth, it gives it a nice fresh and sweet and sour touch. Haven't done that in a long time though.

The thing with the coconut milk and the chutney is that is makes for a better cream on veggies than plain soy cream, which just looses texture and volume. I used to mix the curry with the cream out of the stove, but doing it like this helps the seasoning get tastier, and the texture of the chutney doesn't dissolve as fast as the cooked soy cream dries out after cooling down. So it gives it another taste and look.

Even my mom asked me to send her a bit, ha ha. Now that was rich! :D

• Like! 1

Good ole Chutney! Man, I grew up with this stuff in the cupboards, and its got huge base in lots of South Asians. The stuff is absolutely addictive, and im jelly that you guys can just whip it up, all that magical food chemistry

:drool:

gogo

Trying more of a hardier adventure for lunch this day.  Chopped up spinach, tomatoes, celery ( on sale! :bounce:) with pumpkin seeds, sunflower and craisins on top with poppy seed dressing...

we shall see

:blink:

gogo

58622510310__3DC79D44-4CCB-43B9-A603-4AA3A73B94ED.jpg

Roter Heringssalat mit Pellkartoffel

Red herring-salad with potatoes in skin

Salad from red beets*, pickled herrings, sour apples*, onions*, fermented cream (Schmand)*, sour cream*, joghurt*, pickled gherkins*, boiled eggs*, pineapple, all diced, fine cut dill*, salt and sugar.

* is what we make ourself, buying 20l fresh milk each week , then make our own cream, jogurt, cheese,...

Favourite of the pregants in our family. 'Do you know what I would like to eat right now?'

https://www.lookingatcooking.com/Red-Herring-Salad.html

roter-heringssalat.jpg

Delta would probably make something like this with the same things ;)

Roter-heringssalat-with-beetroot-and-pin

• Like! 1

We had a massive Carifete party at work yesterday, with loads of different foods showing up and being carefully organized, presented and served in a secure room throughout the entire day... shrimp, jerk chicken, spicy kabobs, salad... and desert...if anyone can help me identify what this cake is (I have looked all night last night and still cant find it) who's appearance close to Aquafresh toothpaste on a kind of hard sweet bread with pecans just floored me please pipe up! :bounce:

IMG_5181.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5184.jpg

IMG_5186.jpg

Just by the look of it, I would say it might be a peppermint tart...? Lots of whipped cream although by the looks of it more an Italian meringue..., and a jelly like set center flavoured like mint/peppermint? I can not make out what the crust is...

it was kind of like a cookie with pecans...I just couldnt get over all these new flavors in my mouth...  the part that looked like green toothpaste was actually the most delicious... mint, sweet, creamy...and that visual of it with that toothpaste look... lol the amusement factor on this desert probably provided more than half the enjoyment. 

:lol:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Doing some double OT today at work ...just four hours... lots of fun to just go in help out and then leave ^^...  There's a small South Asian Tamil restaurant down the street from me and I picked up some Lankan Rolls...beautiful vegetable insides, crispy outsides... and hot!

IMG_5502.jpg

Apples, potatoes, onions are all ripe. A blood sausage from boar just left the smoker. Welcome to

Himmel und Erde

Heaven (apples) and Earth (potatoes)

Potatoes and apples cut in dieces and boiled, then mashed.

Add roasted onion rings and roasted slices from blood sausage

Sounds simple and easy- But did you ever killed a boar with a spear?

himmel-und-erde-nach-uromas-art.jpg

Doing some double OT today at work ...just four hours... lots of fun to just go in help out and then leave ^^...  There's a small South Asian Tamil restaurant down the street from me and I picked up some Lankan Rolls...beautiful vegetable insides, crispy outsides... and hot!

IMG_5502.jpg

A...another double OT day today at work...going in for a quickie four hours... woo hoo...  and this is cool, just night before last night me and a friend who I haven't seen all summer hooked up with and we went to a very favorite small montreal grocery deli that, besides wonderful imported food and local bottled, jarred and pickeled delicacies serves hot meats in sandwiches all sliced up steamed and spicy into sandwiches spread with hot mayo... hello Slovenia... bravo!

t8av4oUIUHK6Gg7wP56D460O8BiDL8aXpYTaOTXm_HBQ7525-yloUDZNxpFNY0gbCsct8Q6duPyXm0nBj37XscNM0eQG9glEPVzNjxRxJ-pS6OjG6rq00Ca42Ym6j340.jpg

GP7OjzRlK-Ym9kdLhxjvL0oaFXETe48QCPKH9_7weu-qEcKXLPtgeAP-gFfKyEjajecNKFVXfbvwieewjS2YBsjtGqh3x-neYQFBp4ua8hWJxpS461FkSj9PnYGMvGqe.jpg

IPJwju0vYa7sKcsv3Ed5ZqrwHq4DDLwNH0-w_WRE9oje08pdPCpBqi-NGirV3hKDp0ANukd3uEPPvMikZP6LMBU1luoFM5vmzDIAxmM41YRFG11PpLznBy52eGoiFDek.jpg

:)

gogo

I haven't been able to take photos of my cooking recently, been doing some renovations in the house so it's been a few busy weeks. I did do a stew of pork with sliced carrots and green beans with ras el hanout curry. My girlfriend who's not a fan of neither pork nor stewed green beans loved it and said "OK, now I like stewed green beans!". :D

4 minutes ago, Androdion said:

I haven't been able to take photos of my cooking recently, been doing some renovations in the house so it's been a few busy weeks. I did do a stew of pork with sliced carrots and green beans with ras el hanout curry. My girlfriend who's not a fan of neither pork nor stewed green beans loved it and said "OK, now I like stewed green beans!". :D

ahhh, reno... the angel and devil all rolled up in to one :lol: ... I bet its looking wonderful... does not carpentry run in the family ;bounce: ... and next time we insist on those photos please... ras el hanout is fabulous stuff!

:drool:

gogo

Actually my father was a carpenter/painter/do-it-all for most of his work life, so I managed to learn some things. Not carpentry this time though, more like redoing (or actually doing them for the first time) the insulation for the windows and doors. We had massive heat losses and spent several hundreds of euros in heating over last Winter so we really had to do something about it. I've been doing it bit by bit, filling up the crevasses between the aluminium frames and the walls where they're applied because when it was applied they only slapped some outdoor silicone on the outer edge and nothing else. And after 20 years it has gone to hell, so I did all the work from the inside out. It hasn't been easy but it's an ongoing journey. Today I managed to do my man cave's window and the minute I put a disc playing I knew it was totally different! Sound and lighting insulation is completely different on several of the rooms around the house, and the heat losses are mostly controlled as it seems (nights have been cold but the house is always warm and cosy). Let's hope it stays that way during Winter, fingers crossed.

I actually don't use ras el hanout as much as I should. I always favour madras, tikka massala or jamaica (fresher mix). But I love doing roasted turkey leg with ras el hanout, it's freaking killer!!!

Hurray, I bring forth pictures today!

20190903_204001.thumb.jpg.ab59eb9a2c641b5484470a3937dbf715.jpg

20190903_204009.thumb.jpg.4bddcd334f6fa4671dd68f4834a0f721.jpg

So, here we have rich mashed potatoes seasoned with ground black pepper and cumin, plus fresh chives. To accompany it a stir fry composed of cow beef, spicy chorizo, red peper and shiitake mushrooms, seasoned with salt, black pepper, ghost pepper and oregano, and topped up with soy cream. Yes, I just mixed chorizo, red peper and soy cream! :D

Separate both the mashed potatoes and the stir fry are pretty good, but when mixed together... Man, we both wiped our plates clean! The seasoning of the mashed potatoes with the touch of milk blending in with the more spicy touch of the cream of the stir fry is just incredible. Like a chutney with yogurt, he he.

• Like! 1
42 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Hurray, I bring forth pictures today!

20190903_204001.thumb.jpg.ab59eb9a2c641b5484470a3937dbf715.jpg

20190903_204009.thumb.jpg.4bddcd334f6fa4671dd68f4834a0f721.jpg

So, here we have rich mashed potatoes seasoned with ground black pepper and cumin, plus fresh chives. To accompany it a stir fry composed of cow beef, spicy chorizo, red peper and shiitake mushrooms, seasoned with salt, black pepper, ghost pepper and oregano, and topped up with soy cream. Yes, I just mixed chorizo, red peper and soy cream! :D

Separate both the mashed potatoes and the stir fry are pretty good, but when mixed together... Man, we both wiped our plates clean! The seasoning of the mashed potatoes with the touch of milk blending in with the more spicy touch of the cream of the stir fry is just incredible. Like a chutney with yogurt, he he.

You've inspired me to cook from  home instead of the usual ordering in that I usually do. Your working, "rich' mashed potatoes...I'd been wanting to make those famous butter potatoes for a while now, after seeing , hearing and reading about Joel Robuchon's ... is that kind of the same thing? It's purposely stated that your hands get burn always when peeling because the point is to peel them as quickly as possible...and then add butter... lots of butter...and then even more!

https://www.thekitchn.com/joel-robuchon-chef-dead-mashed-potatoes-261227

:dance:

gogo

That's an interesting technique, and of course a French chef would use a metric ton of butter for such a simple plate. :D It's very typical of the French cuisine to abuse butter in all possible ways.

Our classic recipe (learned with my grandmother) is basically the same, except you bake the potatoes without the skin and use more milk than butter. The warm milk will make the mashed potatoes creamy enough because once you mash them they'll get hard, so the milk gives the mashing more elasticity. The butter is used to further "cream it". My grandmother's recipe was with nutmeg and salt, but I don't have proper nutmeg here, and since it's something I rarely use buying full nuts to grind on the spot seems like a waste. And since I have fresh black pepper on a kitchen mill I usually go with that. I've done mashed potatoes before with sweet potatoes, but since they're long gone today I did it with regular potatoes. Being less sweet I decided to grind some cumin for added taste and that gave it a nice touch. Strangely enough I forgot the butter this time, I just realised it after reading the chef's recipe. :blush: But since the potatoes were from a recent crop and the cream from the stir fry was on the dish... you couldn't really tell.

I tend to bake the potatoes already cut into small cubes to save me some work. They bake faster and you don't need to mash them as much in the end. Then I put the seasoning (salt, black pepper, chives - finely cut) and I stir with warm milk (1 minute in the microwave, roughly 250 ml per 1 Kg potatoes), and by the end a small nut of butter. Put a small bit first and then keep adding at taste. Some people dislike the intense flavour of butter in the mashed potatoes. Make sure to use real butter though, made out of cow's milk. Always use real butter when cooking! And there you have it, simple and savoury.

PS: Sidebar - It's usually easier to just make your food at home. You can control what you eat and what you put in it, and with time and patience (and some classic recipes and imagination) you can find yourself doing wonderful dishes in no time. It's just a matter of getting your ass out of the chair and grabbing the knives. Much like with practising sports requires you to actually get up and start doing it. :agreed:

• Like! 1

What are mashed potatoe? The dict uses it for Kartoffelbrei and for Stampfkartoffel.

Kartoffelbrei are boiled potatoe pressed through a sieve and then heated with butter, milk, nutmeg and salt.

-

Stampfkartoffel are boiled potatoe and then using a masher in a pot with roasted onion and smoked fatback dices, adding a bit butter or milk if too dry.

speck-kartoffelpueree.jpg

In difference to the picture I use red onions to give a colourful note. And add fine cut herbs at the last mixing. Our main potatoe variant has a red skin and yellow flesh. So the mix is three: yellow, red and green. A bit curcuma if the potatoe are too white.

-

Himmel und Erde - basically Stampfkartoffel, replacing half of the potatoe (earth) with apples or pears (heaven).

Sadly there are no cooking shows showing the barbarian German countryside cooking ;)

• Like! 1