Need help with "The Impostor"

Veracious

in the forest you get the impostor quest. she's the queen of spiders, if anyone remembers. she's nearly one shotting me with 1600hp and three magic damage relics. she's only one level above me. I'm doing 500 damage per swing with a dual wield seraphim. I have no ideas left. except to over level and go back. I almost didn't teleport out in time because she had me stunned and the game wouldn't let me. I had to spam pots until I was released.

Yeah, she is a real super challenge the first time around. We already discussed methods on it in this topic a short while ago. To bad we never heard if it worked out or not.

You could also try stealing her minions with Instill Belief

Instill Belief - This looks good on paper, but as a CA for defense...? I'm not so sure about this. First off, it only gives you the CHANCE to convert one of the baddies to your side. At lower levels this isn't very effective especially because of the second reason - it has a 30+ second cooldown and regen cycle. Even with all the RpH you can find and socket, you can't spam this CA in case nothing happens the first time around. Third, it has ZERO effect on bosses. This might be useful in a situation where you're going up against an enemy that has minions (some of the dragons like Xanthiar who has young dragons and dragon cultists to tend him or the Spider Queen who spawns spiders regularly) - but against say Gar' Colossus - it's useless as they have none.

Another suggestions was to be invisible, but that's for SW

If you want a boss that's the biggest PITA to fight - that would be the Spider Queen from the CM Patch. The only class I've managed to get thru her lair mostly unscathed was a Shadow Warrior who was fully cloaked and had the biggest 2H hammer/axe I could find. The boss in this case will heal.. frequently.. but only if she sees you. Fully cloaked you can walk right up to her and unleash a torrent of blows and she doesn't even have a chance to react.

Yeah, she is a real super challenge the first time around. We already discussed methods on it in this topic a short while ago. To bad we never heard if it worked out or not.

You could also try stealing her minions with Instill Belief

Instill Belief - This looks good on paper, but as a CA for defense...? I'm not so sure about this. First off, it only gives you the CHANCE to convert one of the baddies to your side. At lower levels this isn't very effective especially because of the second reason - it has a 30+ second cooldown and regen cycle. Even with all the RpH you can find and socket, you can't spam this CA in case nothing happens the first time around. Third, it has ZERO effect on bosses. This might be useful in a situation where you're going up against an enemy that has minions (some of the dragons like Xanthiar who has young dragons and dragon cultists to tend him or the Spider Queen who spawns spiders regularly) - but against say Gar' Colossus - it's useless as they have none.

Another suggestions was to be invisible, but that's for SW

>

If you want a boss that's the biggest PITA to fight - that would be the Spider Queen from the CM Patch. The only class I've managed to get thru her lair mostly unscathed was a Shadow Warrior who was fully cloaked and had the biggest 2H hammer/axe I could find. The boss in this case will heal.. frequently.. but only if she sees you. Fully cloaked you can walk right up to her and unleash a torrent of blows and she doesn't even have a chance to react.

yea never mind. it turns out that the game registered me as a death when I finally was able to teleport out. I'm done. I don't feel like trying to start those 15 hours of playtime and survival bonus over again. its too frustrating. that boss is ridiculous for a bronze level 34. 120000 life? plus 5 second stun every hit? she's stupid. I'm impressed with the work people do for the cm patch but as a quest this one is too much for bronze.

• Like! 1

I saw your other post about modding survivability rates, and at the end of that thread you mentioned what you were talking about in here with the big bad bug lady...

came up with an idea for something that might be worth giving a shot if you're having difficulty with a boss.

Might not work, and might seem a little crazy buuuuuuuuut.....

Perhaps intentionally LOWERING your survival bonus might be an option.

What I propose:

Throw a fight on purpose (just not in hardcore since that will delete the character), and let it hit 0, then try sneaking over to the boss without engaging in combat...

Why I'm proposing such a ludicrous plan:

The higher your survival bonus is lthe better the oot drops will get.

!!HOWEVER!!

Higher survival bonuses are a bit of a double-edge sword!

With a higher score comes increasingly difficult and more punishing enemies.

The level at which enemies appear will actually raise and lower according to how high or low your survival bonus currently is.

Therefore a lower or non-existant survival bonus will cause the enemies you encounter to be lowered to (or possibly even below) your level.

This might not make too much of a difference (if any at all) with bosses, there is a perfectly good chance that they are completely unaffected by it. I'm not entirely certain one way or another about since, to be perfectly honest, I've never really experimented with the effects of the survival bonus myself. Still, it stands to reason that if a lower score = easier enemies, then there is at least some chance that it might possibly make even bosses a tiny bit easier to handle.

From everything I've heard about the mistress of the webs, I kind of get the feeling that she was intentionally designed to be an extremely tough encounter. So even if the method(?) I suggested does work, perhaps being at least slightly over leveled and decently geared for her is a requirement.

Yeah, but remember Veracious said that to begin with (with his full ~50% survival bonus) the Queen was only 1 level above him (my guess is he was probably hitting the region level cap since the caps in Bronze are so low). By losing his survival bonus, he knocked her down only a single level, but he lost major bonuses to attributes.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

I saw your other post about modding survivability rates, and at the end of that thread you mentioned what you were talking about in here with the big bad bug lady...

came up with an idea for something that might be worth giving a shot if you're having difficulty with a boss.

Might not work, and might seem a little crazy buuuuuuuuut.....

Perhaps intentionally LOWERING your survival bonus might be an option.

What I propose:

Throw a fight on purpose (just not in hardcore since that will delete the character), and let it hit 0, then try sneaking over to the boss without engaging in combat...

Why I'm proposing such a ludicrous plan:

The higher your survival bonus is lthe better the oot drops will get.

!HOWEVER!

Higher survival bonuses are a bit of a double-edge sword!

With a higher score comes increasingly difficult and more punishing enemies.

The level at which enemies appear will actually raise and lower according to how high or low your survival bonus currently is.

Therefore a lower or non-existant survival bonus will cause the enemies you encounter to be lowered to (or possibly even below) your level.

This might not make too much of a difference (if any at all) with bosses, there is a perfectly good chance that they are completely unaffected by it. I'm not entirely certain one way or another about since, to be perfectly honest, I've never really experimented with the effects of the survival bonus myself. Still, it stands to reason that if a lower score = easier enemies, then there is at least some chance that it might possibly make even bosses a tiny bit easier to handle.

From everything I've heard about the mistress of the webs, I kind of get the feeling that she was intentionally designed to be an extremely tough encounter. So even if the method(?) I suggested does work, perhaps being at least slightly over leveled and decently geared for her is a requirement.

I was wearing 4 pieces of the exalted warrior set and the rest were rares. I was doing about 500 dmg per hand dual wielding. I had 1600 life 32 or 33. Tough wasn't the word.

Also I had another player tell me when I asked about a different character fighting carnach in gold that by losing my bonus I lost my damage and my armor and resists.

So I'm getting mixed feedback but I stuck by my opinion that she's a bit much for a level 34 bronze boss.

Thanks for the idea. Appreciate the feedback.

Ahh.

I completely forgot about the stat bonuses when I thought of that. :/

Hmm.

That does sound pretty rough.

I apologise for the conflicting messages thing.

For a (brief) minute there I thought I might have actually been on to something. lol

Back to the drawing board I suppose.

• Like! 1

I'm not sure if the leech would be enough to counter the two shot kill she's packing. I'll just skip her for now. Shield might work but the highest damage I can find on a weapon only puts me around 500 per swing. Can't find a level 35 weapon one handed with more than 120 damage on the high end. Trash mobs are going down in two swings but that jerk has 120k hp. I'll wait till gold or whatever to try. I need to look up the blacksmith mods so I can cheapen his cost. I wanted to socket a unique weapon and it was gonna be 500k. That's outrageous. Lol.

Edited by Veracious

The good thing about %LL though is that it's a percent of the bosses max life. So 1.5% (I think you can shop this level at low levels, but you may need a niob shopper which is easy enough to create in SP via editing balance.txt) is gonna deal an extra 1800 damage and heal you for the same. Plus, pelting strikes if I recal correctly fires a bunch of hits with a shuriken so if 3 or 4 hit its 3 or 4 times that 1800 on top of the weapon damage being dealt. Plus the leech heals you for 3 or 4 times 1800 per pelting strikes. %LL is completely imbalanced in this game. It does work on melee attacks only however.

So in summary, it may be enough. Of course, my experience of this game comes from playing online where by the time the servers had shut down I had shoppers set up at many levels with niob access and access to heaps of set and unique items (eg celestial set adds extra %LL) so without such backing you may find things difficult even with %LL. Fingers crossed it isn't impossible for you though! I would hate for you to miss everything this game has to offer because of one extra tough boss.

Well maybe someone knows the script code for that particular spec and I can just add it to a weapon. I'll ask around. Maybe flix knows the number for that bonus as well. He helped with the survival mod.

Edited by Veracious

If you are playing CM patch perhaps you can do some shopping for two %LL fist weapons? Or even a shuriken and shield. I never fought this boss with a low level toon so can't suggest anything else though sorry.

Love the LL%, it will make any content trivial for a weapon based build. You always outheal what's being dealt as long as you are successfully hitting :)

The danger off bosses is that the info screen onlyshows the damage types of their melee attacks. Their specials may do another damage type which hits you atno protection and multiplying the damage because of negative damage mitigation in this case.

Well maybe someone knows the script code for that particular spec and I can just add it to a weapon. I'll ask around. Maybe flix knows the number for that bonus as well. He helped with the survival mod.

Should be 890. Try adding a bonusgroup line to the item with these values:

{890,1150,1,9,0},

Those are the values from Kaldur's Legacy. As before, increasing the second number should enhance the effect.

• Like! 1