Conan the Barbarian Easter egg

On second thoughts;

it could be possible the image is an easter egg about the end of the movie, where Conan sits at his throne, his head resting at his hand and a sword by his side.

At least here's a screenshot to make up your mind. :)

Thorin :)

post-27096-0-68657100-1389108428_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

I have an idea. In my opinion, the throne room does resemble Atlantean king's tomb. I was wondering if our modders could duplicate the Atlantean sword ingame and have this throne room as the only place where it drops?

• Like! 1

That's not a bad idea for a mod, actually. Conan is so popular that finding a freely available 3d model of his sword is not hard. So making the sword itself is definitely possible. Making it drop in only one place would require making a quest, which is possible too, though this part of the idea requires some testing with quest scripts.

By the way, how came that the Easter Egg itself is not on the wiki? If you compare the in-game room with the video fragment that shows the dead king on his throne, the likeness starts to appear quite striking. So I tend to agree that the room is a recreation of the Athlantean King's Tomb using Sacred 2 props.

Edited by Silver_fox

Sweet! If that requires a quest, maybe more Conan related items should fall than just the Atlantean sword. The sword is more than enough for me, but there's space left for only...what, 5, 7 quests left? So maybe more than just the sword needs to drop to necessitate a quest. I can't think of many more cool Conan related weapons at the moment. James Earl Jones had that cool dagger with the twin snakes, if memory serves.

Or, maybe the trip to the tomb could be tacked on to a preexisting quest? One thing that I'm painfully ignorant of concerning this game is quest manipulation

Well, if you manage to get a quest going, I think the "Do you want to live forever?" question should pop up in it too.

It may not be Conan's quote, but it's - imho - one of the key-concepts of the movie.

Thorin :)

I looked at the Swords section of the wiki a bit closer, and you know, guys, we won't even have to bring the Athlantean sword model from the outside to add this sword as a new unique. Those Easter Egg fans from Ascaron not only made the room which is quite similar to the one from Conan movie - they actually made an Atlantean sword drop as one of the random one-handed swords!

Honestly, look at this:

Swo26c.jpg

And compare with this (the middle picture is the concept art of the Athlantean sword drawn for the original movie):

conan_swords_by_15011981-d3kffxm.jpg

A closer look at the texture of this random Sacred 2 sword shows that it has the hilt design and the blade engraving of the exactly same shapes as the Athlantean sword from the Conan movie, but the lighting in game and the low resolution of the texture tends to hide the detail when the sword is wielded by Sacred characters. Here is how the extracted Sacred 2 texture looks:

45MNk33.jpg

On the most Conan-related pictures the Athlantean sword is pictured in darker colors than on the concept art and has more explicit engraving, but that much of design change can be easily applied to the Sacred 2 model using textures. Also, the model in Sacred 2 looks smaller than the sword in the film, so I think about enlarging it to two-hander size.

All in all, I'm not promising to make this sword ASAP, but as it appears to be easy to make, I'll probably look into it later. As for the quests - the number of unused quest IDs that are guaranteed to work is indeed small. In my testing I found a way to make custom quest IDs that work at least for silent quests (the ones without dialogue and logs), but I'm not yet 200% sure that this method is completely safe to use. So I won't say a definite "yes" or "no" about the possibility of adding new quests at the moment. Adding a new step for the existing quest is in fact similar to adding a new quest, because script-wise every step is considered a separate quest.

Fanstastic work on the sleuthing.

Just finished reading your article on the compares, love your deductive process Silver

:)

gogo

• 1 month later...