New Uniques and Legendaries - Brainstorming

Flix

Perhaps a silly idea, but why not transfer sets (read: the stats) from S:UW into Sacred 2 as unique / legendaries :)

- Dwarf's Rideg Stumel's Set + Kabelrinte's and Thodran Amfist's rings => Temple Guardian.

Sacred 1 and 2 by lore are set 2000 years apart. Most of these things would crumble to dust by that time. Or were not yet made.

:sigh: And here come the "I love the Dwarf and hate the Temple Guardian" comments. :dry:

> ".. spruiking up .. a pole.."

Here you go: you've realized your own idea, and it fits in great :-)

> ".. the swirly beneath the surface effect.."

It's visible I'd say, smart to think of that one.

> ".. why not transfer sets (read: the stats).."

I guess that should be possible, do these sets have stat-combinations that are clearly different from those from std. Sacred 2 sets?

Can you give an example?
And then - if someone would want to adopt those S1 set stats for a new set in Sacred 2 - you probably have an idea about what it should look like, no?

> ".. I love the Dwarf and hate the Temple Guardian.."

Yes! I do!
Although.. nah, I do like the TG, especially when it breaks down ;-)

> ".. never had any luck in applying any special effects.."

I've done some testing for this, because I also had difficulties with special effects.

One thing is that some models use more than one material, where one of the materials is marked with 'fx'.

When editing such models, I haven't been able to reproduce this properly, because some kind of material layering might be involved here.

The approach that seems to work best is to use only one material, plus textures that are joined together for one channel (d / n / s / hx).

It also seems to be impossible to use two effects on the same mesh.

Then it seems to me that the position where the effect is apparent is determined by the color of the alpha layer of the specular ('s') texture.

Also consider the type of the effect: in surface.txt there are at leats two ways of applying an effect.

One way is for instance using the shader 'obj_d_s_b_pulse': it requires a fourth texture channel ('texture3Name') with a texture that looks quite strangely colored.

Another way is for instance using the shader 'obj_fx_lava': it uses texture3Name = "fx/lava_fx.tga".

But if you want to use the T-energy effect, then there's no explicit shader for it (use 'obj_d_s_b'), and no fourth texture channel, but you need to apply the flag 'SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY'. Also, you have to edit the alpha layer of the diffuse texture: white areas in the positions where the effect should appear.

A fourth example is the fur effect: you need to use a special 'volume texture' for it.

• Like! 1

Thats really helpful Pesmontis!! I was gonna at some point want to be applying those effects and while I knew about how the alpha channels work, the different shaders I did not know about. That will make anything else I do hopefully a much easier process without me having to crazily experiment :)

I have a quick question. With the new armors and patch, is there anything planned for the Shadow Warrior ? I know he already has a slew of stuff, I'm just curious if I should start a new character in anticipation of new armor/weapons

Edited by Gilberticus

I would imagine that seeing as the shadow warrior has by far the greatest number of sets that he will not be receiving anything specifically aimed at him and instead will only receive any weapons that may be created or sets equippable by all classes.

I've got one idea that might (also) fit the Shadow Warrior: a square, clunky, rusty armor set.

Something 'a bit too heavy' that might be more of a hindrance than usefully protective,

meant to introduce a bit of fun of course: a little mockery for overly enthusiastic armor gathering.

• Like! 1

I have a quick question. With the new armors and patch, is there anything planned for the Shadow Warrior ? I know he already has a slew of stuff, I'm just curious if I should start a new character in anticipation of new armor/weapons

Gilberticus, I said a few posts up that I'm not making anything for the Shadow Warrior, but just for the sake of interest, there WAS yet another set in the works for the CM Patch: The Doom Guard Armor designed by dimitrius154. It had to be scrapped unfortunately. It's a shame because it looked great (also OMG look at his Hellhound!). The elite mounts luckily are still in the works, so we might yet see the Hellhound. I've also seen new Tiger armor and a freakin' Dragon mount for the High Elf.

Dmitrius also designed new Inquisitor armor. I'm not quite so awed by it but it's impressive work nonetheless, not to mention how cool his Spider looks.

Edited by Flix

Yes, the Doom Guard armor, now that's what brought me to this site to begin with, because Skyrim had an armor mod with a similar name. I also really like the new spider. The idea that I really like, that I almost missed, is Thorin's idea in #27. There is a huge chunk of time between games. But to me, set items never really felt like MY set items, they feel like items that have been passed down through generations. How I play the game is when I find a set item in my inventory, it's not that I found it on some random bad guy/critter, but rather that I've been rewarded it by my fellow clan members/race, like how the Predators have to go through certain rites of passage to get some of their goodies. If I'm not mistaken, we don't have real lore and back stories for the set items. I don't see why forms of armor from the first game couldn't be in the 2nd game, since there's no lore on where set armor came from. The re-texture aspect though is a different matter, I bet. As far as the armor itself, 2000 is a long time for armor to last. Without giving away much more of my real life id, I was doing a little restoration on armor from Greece that's...oh, around 1400 BCE. But that's what's awesome about a game, real world physics, oxidation, bodily needs, and that type of stuff don't always have to apply to a game, right?

Edited by Gilberticus
  • Like! 1

I don't see why forms of armor from the first game couldn't be in the 2nd game, since there's no lore on where set armor came from. The re-texture aspect though is a different matter, I bet. As far as the armor itself, 2000 is a long time for armor to last. Without giving away much more of my real life id, I was doing a little restoration on armor from Greece that's...oh, around 1400 BCE. But that's what's awesome about a game, real world physics, oxidation, bodily needs, and that type of stuff don't always have to apply to a game, right?

Whoa, you mean this thing (Dendra Armor) is not form roman-medieval times, but is actually 3400 years old?! :blowup:

How many complete sets of it even exist?

Mycenaeanarmour2.jpg

The Dendra armor is before the Roman times, yes. That's not what I was working on, but what I'm playing with is claimed to go along w this set. As far as I know, the set shown on like Wikipedia is the only set we have.

• Like! 1

One idea for a Javelin legendary could be similar to a weapon in a very old RPG I once played. It would have Ice damage along with a chance to stun(could be a specific value or scale very slowly). You could also come up with something attached to history like the Spear of Destiny.

As far as shields go, the only thing I can think of would be something with either damage(shield bash) or would reflect damage(think of a mirrored shield).

Edited by DaveO
  • Like! 1

The idea that I really like, that I almost missed, is Thorin's idea in #27.

I like it too, to an extent. I've been sorting through the S1 sets trying to figure out what could be transferred. I don't know the sets that well because I played S1 so little in comparison and there's no way to increase drop rates or download the files.

There's also the matter of looks, because many sets in S1 are very wild and unusual. If I did something like this I would want it to look as authentic as possible, not just the name and bonuses slapped on a generic set.

One other thing I really like about sets in S1 is that when they are completed, each one offers a truly unique bonus (and usually a visual effect to go along with it).

> ".. If I did something like this I would want it to look as authentic as possible.."

It's possible to get the models from S1 and rework them wherever required.

The only difficulty is to match the in-game name of an item with the actual model file and it's textures.

• Like! 1

To be honest, the reason why I came up with the idea of using sets from S:UW is twofold.

First of all, some of them are my favorite sets from the game, although I've never managed to complete most sets for most of the other chars. Probably because I had too much fun running around with my DW-seraphim using both the Sereish sets - minus the lance - using 2 Sereish swords or Astrala's and Abdiel's cutter.

I've been playing a Gladiator often, but never completed Dalmar's set, as my major Glad was equipped with uniques only.
The other char I played was a Cannoneer / Flamethrower Dwarf, which was fun to do but never got finished because the servers went off line.
However, based upon the questions for some sets when playing MP, I figured those sets were more or less the most popular ones and thus might be used.

The other reason was that I more or less used a similar idea in the story about Sacred I wrote.

In that story the armor sets - minus those of the Deamon and Dwarf - were once used by legendary persons of Ancaria, who fought in a great battle during the siege of Braverock, happening about a Thousand years before the events of Sacred.

So, my thought was that since Sacred itself was an Unique and - as we all agree on - Legendary game, using sets from that game as Uniques / Legendaries in Sacred 2 would be the best easter-egg possible. :D

Right now, the only reference of S:UW in Sacred 2 when it comes to weapons I know of is Thain's Axe.

As for other legendaries / uniques from one game being transferred to the other game, there are some which can become All-Class sets.
Think of:

- Faldamar's set; (axe and 3 rings)

- Orla-Aisling's Spear set; ( spear and 3 rings)

- Aarnum's Sword set; (sword and 3 rings)

- Egill's Bow set; (X-bow and 3 rings [use "Energizer" instead:)])

- Ettol'Rahc-Notwen's Breeze set; (longbow and 3 rings)

- Solwemyr's Staff set; (Staff and 3 rings)

- The - infamous- "Statue set" (no reference at the Wiki)

- The Instrument set.

And for those who can count; I know I haven't added any Vampiress set yet. The reason for that is that I'm not sure which class would get it.
An all class armor set is impossible - if I'm not mistaken - and using parts of some sets to be used by all classes wouldn't do right to the char. So I'm thinking about what to do with it right now.

One option would be to transfer the Vamp set to the class having the lowest amount of sets; however that would give that char 2 Unique / legendary sets.

Another option would be to turn the set into a "normal" set for the char having the lowest amount of sets. Personally I'd prefer that option and using the set giving the MF-bonus when having the full set - in Sacred 2 that'll be a bonus to Enhanced perception - however, I can't remember which set that was and unfortunately the Wiki is missing a lot of screenshots of the items.

Thorin :)

Edited by Thorin Oakshield
  • Like! 1

> ".. the Wiki is missing a lot of screenshots of the items.."

Good screenshots would be very helpful.

For instance, this S1 model is called "Armor3_arms.grn", but does anyone know what it's called in-game?

post-19689-0-82777700-1390587290_thumb.jpg

• Like! 1

Just wanted to leave note saying this thread is packed full of great ideas! I am going through each and every one of them and seeing what ideas hit me and what I could do. Pesmontis may be cooking up some cool stuff too.

So thank you everyone who has contributed some ideas and wishes - and keep 'em coming if you got 'em! In the next week or so I'll update post #1 with a list of things that might get worked on, once I've sorted through it all. :)

• Like! 1