New Uniques and Legendaries - Brainstorming

Flix

I forgot about the Inquisitor's weapon and armor selection for some reason. Well, on the bright side - there is no need to be concerned about his flowing robes if we decide to model an arm-protector-like shield.

As for looking strange with handguns - the modern clothes designs that Pesmontis made for the Elf (Range Array and the one that is a part of CM) look better with pistols than with pretty much everything else.

As for looking strange with handguns - the modern clothes designs that Pesmontis made for the Elf (Range Array and the one that is a part of CM) look better with pistols than with pretty much everything else.

Agree once again, and I also think that means a modern shield wouldn't look out of place on her in those outfits. So if you didn't mean a shield like that used by modern police, etc. what kind of modern look did you have in mind?

> ".. look better with pistols than with pretty much everything else.."

Isn't it something?

Maybe with the Range Array set it was part of my intention, and with testing I was just lucky to have a Desert Eagle lying around. My highest level character doesn't even have one.. But it's true that I quickly adopted the combination for screeshots. In fact I should try a combination with fistweapon 'The Night', because the colors nicely match. And with a nice slight saber it doesn't look too bad either:

post-19689-0-79543700-1395865127_thumb.jpg

Or maybe she should always remain half submerged..:

post-19689-0-38088700-1395866664_thumb.jpg

• Like! 1

Agree once again, and I also think that means a modern shield wouldn't look out of place on her in those outfits. So if you didn't mean a shield like that used by modern police, etc. what kind of modern look did you have in mind?

No, it won't look out of place, but... well, you remember that picture you posted of an Elf with a Troll shield (now that's the one that should have been called "Unyielding Wall"). With the real Riot Shield she would look only slightly better.

As for what I wanted, I wanted to discuss the idea and see what the community can think of in regard to the shields. My own thoughts were about something that is classified as a shield but does not look exactly like one - like an armband, or a heavy gauntlet, or a throwing dagger in a shealth, or a shoulder holster (guess this one is not doable). Though maybe just a shield texture that does not look incredibly medieval can be created.

Maybe a tech-looking "Energy shield" - a semi-transparent energy field in a frame, is a good idea, though I know that LazyTomcat attempted it and ran into trouble with texturing the back side of the shield. Something akin to this Sacred 1 shield design looks like a good match at least to all T-energy weapons:

15p2u7c.jpg

Anyway, it was just a thought, not something that has to be done. If no ideas for a specific designs would appear - the game now has a lot of good shields and nobody would complain if you won't implement more.

Edited by Silver_fox
  • Like! 1

Ow yes, that looks very nice..

> ".. a semi-transparent energy field in a frame.."

That would be a bit of a challenge, a good idea anyway.

[edit]

I'm thinking: use a diffuse map with an Alpha channel for transparency and then use the 'SURFACE_FLAG_SHELLFX' with the surface..

Something like this might be checked quickly with the robe of 'Ilgard's Judgment'.

Edited by Pesmontis

That is so trippy. Very neat work. I had wanted to explore the possibility of some transparent armor, though not for the Inquisitor of course since he doesn't have a body under those robes.

WHOA! Flix, remember how we were talking about see-through, ethereal armor? The lower robe is what I was talking about, I wonder if that effect can be duplicated on other armor?

• Like! 1

> ".. not for the Inquisitor.."

When I looked through surface.txt, the Inqui's bloodpoison robe was the first I saw with the SURFACE_FLAG_SHELLFX, so I just used that one for testing.

It's a good test, because the green lines for the effect are quite thin, so this means that we can use this to create good detail.

Also, because I used SURFACE_FLAG_TRANSPARENT, we can probably fade the effect much better than with SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED.

Not an easy job for the renderer though..

• Like! 1

I'm not sure whether or not it would be of help, but LT's attempts on creating an "Energy Field" shield are still on Mantis. He and Czevak discussed the possibility of using the texture effect of seraphim's Ancient Wings for the shield. It did not end all that well (not all that bad either), but may at least give some ideas of what works and what does not. It's the Lichtschild der Sophia issue.

• Like! 1

Getting this shield or a similar one back from Sacred I would be just too cool!

I can remember when the first trailers for Sacred II had been out. If I'm not completely wrong therein we could see a Seraphim with this loved shield from Sacred I and after the community found out that this shield is not a item in Sacred II actually, some had been quite disappointed.

A shield which is a bit similar to the Seraphim one, are those you can see in Start Wars when the Gungan fight their battle. They also use energy shields.

One shield which is already in Sacred II and which might be a good start to play around with retexturing it, might be this oval metal shield which has a frame and a cross "inprinted" and therefore does show four "fields". Moddifying these four fields might make this kind of shield look amazing!?

• Like! 1

> ".. effect of seraphim's Ancient Wings.."

It's a bit of a hodgepodge really (multiple materials, transparency channels, and clearly can't use a z.shader with that effect).

I don't think that this effect fits a shield - if it would be used then I don't recommend a frame around it. And rather have it light inside & fading outwards.

With the ShellFX + Trans flags it shouldn't be too difficult to imitate the effect, it's just a matter of creating a texture for it with an Alpha channel. We might also use a volume texture..

> ".. Moddifying these four fields.."

Do you have an example / screenshot?

Edited by Pesmontis

>"...I don't think that this effect fits a shield - if it would be used then I don't recommend a frame around it. And rather have it light inside & fading outwards..."

I agree with you. The shield would look better if designed like the one form Sacred 1 - a glow generator in the centre and fading shield outside. I linked that issue not because I like what was done here, but because it is good to see what mistakes other people did before, so as not to try those things again.

>"Do you have an example / screenshot?"

I believe that Yoshio meant one of these shields:

Sh21cwm.gifSh10cwm.gif

I guess he wanted to use the first one, but the second one can also fit.

Edited by Silver_fox
  • Like! 1

Silver_Fox, You are just perfect in guessing correctly what I wanted to say. The shield I had been talking of is exactly the last one.

As I said, maybe this could be used as a start as at least the shape does, accourding to my memory, come close to the original shield from Sacred I.

The second shield looks very very good. I wonder if it is possible to have a non-transparent round element in the middle ot the shield that would look like a shield emitter, or the transparency flag is applied to either entire texture or none at all. though maybe it just won't look good... Anyway, the second version makes for a spectacular design that would look quite good with different types of things. It's not exactly medieval and you can't tell whether it is magical or hi-tech creation, but either interpretation fits with the Seraphim, High Elf and the general atmosphere of the game.

First of all thanks for another lovely Friday morning, because I could see some great stuff coming along our way!

But, is it just me or why do the characters hold all the new swords at the furthest end of the handle? Would it be possible to give them a more realistic grip position on the handle? I mean, everyone who does or did sword playing knows that in a one hand grip you hold the sword close behind the guard.

It would be very much appreciated if it could be changed.