New Uniques and Legendaries - Brainstorming

Flix

I already told you that I'm glad to see how you expanded the pool of unique staves. But I have to say it again because these new addition are great. They finally make an idea of creating a staff-wielding mage look compelling. I love how you keep coming up with bits of lore or story to accompany every item. The simpler names suddenly have the whole new meaning if you have a story to associate with them. They stop being something you randomly got from enemies and become gifts of powerful beings, or interesting findings, or something else you wish them to be.

So you decided to nerf Blood Dryad's. I wonder how high the final amount would be. Something like 900-1000?

• Like! 1

Flix, do you know that you've just doubled the amount of unique shields in game? There were 8 shields below tier 15 (6 uniques and 2 from seraphim's sets) and your mod brings us 8 more! And these ones are really useful, unlike the original selection, out of which only Stalworth Safeguard, Glacial Defender and Unyielding Wall had some real use. Me and my shield-bearing caster characters can't thank you enough! The Reflector is worthy of its legendary status too, so now we have something other than Kira's Wall to look for when we go for the boss raids.

For me the post about the shields is a thing I was looking forward to, partially because two of these shields were my suggestions in some way. It's an incredible feeling to see how your creative approach transformed a vague suggestion about "Elven shield for magic users" into a glorious item called "Celioth's Ward"! Now that's something my High Elfs would be aspiring to find and equip. I also like the little story you came up with to explain the shield's name. The wing shield is something special too - the fire-breathing dragons should beware of power of the Firebird! On this second pic the elf looks like she's preparing to fly... it's a pity you can't equip two of these shields and try.

As for the tier change for the Kufferath Defender, I don't think you should make it a legendary. Now it's more comparable with Patience of Saints, Shield of Mirrors and Officer's Saber than with Kira's Wall. If Officer's with its three gold sockets and two modifiers, one of which is a unique (golden) bonus is a unique that frequently drops, why should a shield with many sockets and modifiers that only benefit characters who specialize in shields be a legendary? Granted, it's a treat for those with Shield lore, but for characters without it, the aforementioned three-socketed items would be a more beneficial way to fill a hand slot.

And while we're talking about tiers, I think you can consider moving the Shield of the Cid to tier 14, because it is quite strong in comparison with Glacial Defender and Stalworth Safeguard. All three of them sport damage reduction and one gold socket, but the original shields only have two more other modifiers, and not a big amount of them. Shield of the Cid has an addition of three useful defensive modifiers and a damage boost, so it comes between those shields and tier 15 Kira's in the matter of strength.

Edited by Silver_fox
  • Like! 1

As usual very nice things are there to come and I'm very much looking forward to get my hands on them! :)

By the way, is there a chance to add sockets to the Seraphim shields which seem to be somewhat linked or better said designed to match the Ancient-Set. So far they are available since, I gues, one of the CM-Patches but still without any sockets which, obviously, at least for me, does limit their usefulness quite a bit.

It would be really great if there could be something achieved on them!

• Like! 1

As usual very nice things are there to come and I'm very much looking forward to get my hands on them! :)

By the way, is there a chance to add sockets to the Seraphim shields which seem to be somewhat linked or better said designed to match the Ancient-Set. So far they are available since, I gues, one of the CM-Patches but still without any sockets which, obviously, at least for me, does limit their usefulness quite a bit.

It would be really great if there could be something achieved on them!

Do you mean these shields? I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to add sockets to the bonusgroup for the shields.

The bonusgroups for the rare shields are very large. If you throw in the sockets, the chance of socketing would improve, but not drastically. I'm not sure that having a socket on one shield out of 30 is exactly what we were asked for. The only way to get a near 100% chance of a specific socket on a random item is to add this socket directly to the blueprint. But this means that all yellow shields and not just seraphim's ones would get additional socket and I'm not sure this is desired. They have a lot of bonuses (by sheer number) already and simply adding a socket would make them very powerful (more powerful than some uniques). Permanently changing a less valuable bonusgroup for a socket... may be an option, but it would affect all shields including those already in somebody's posession. So the best way to improve this Seraphim's shield is to create a new blueprint for it. How about making a unique with this skin?

Sorry, but here at work I'm not able to access the Sacred Wiki.

But I guess, you figured out of which shield I was talking about correctly. What Silver_Fox said, is not exactly what I was thinking about or hoping for. All other shield do have, at least to my knowledge, the chance for random sockets - random in their chance to show up and amount off - but this Seraphim shield, again to my knowledge and observation, doesn't. At least I never ever had seen one with a socket. Although it is correct that those shields, as far as I can recall it, do only show up as magic (yellow) items, I feel that they, without the chance for even a single socket, are in general too weak to make them really useful.

As I do see it, this now holds two options, either, if possible, a chance for sockets to show up on them could be achieved or, as Flix said, thinking about a new Seraphim unique shield (brown/bronce) or even legendary (orange) for the next version might be a nice idea.

These are just my thoughts and, although I would, obivously, be very happy to see something in this direction, I fully understand that this something for later versions of the modification. So, now I would like to thank you both for your feedback on my idea and giving me the hope of that something could be done on them. ;)

As for the ranged weapon up-date, very, very nice! Why is it just Thursday now and not already weekend!? :)

• Like! 1

I just checked and the Seraphim's yellow shield already has a separate blueprint of its own (number 2235). It shares two bonusgroups with other unique shields, and the third group is changed to combination of "absorbtion warding energy" and "block chance close combat". It currently has one more modifier than other rare shields, but it has decreased socket chance because it lacks the most common bonusgroup. Maybe the "block chance" modifier can just be swapped for silver or gold socket? I don't recommend swapping "magic" bonusgroup for "common" one as it would increase the chance of socketing but decrease the general quality of the modifiers. The only trouble is that any alteration of an already existing blueprint for a rare causes all items with this blueprint to change their stats, sometimes quite unpredictably. If you change this shield, all such shields that people have equipped or stored would change and we can't be completely sure that they would change for the better.

The new update is of course a delight. I'm especially glad to see new energy pistols and weapons. These classes were underrepresented in game, so not many people considered building a character entirely around these weapons. You made a good design for the big energy weapons, these ones can actually be useful. The biggest problem with this weapon class is that they usually are too weak in comparison to BFG, so energy weapon-oriented Seras rarely even consider them. Kaleidoscopic Evangelist with its sockets and unusual modifiers can actually win this comparison.

New bows are another good addition. Most people prefer blowpipes because of thier fast attack speed, but such good bows might make them reconsider. And the new blowpipes all have incredibly interesting look and the stats to match - an amesome find for any ranged Dryad!

• Like! 1

OHHHH!!! WUHUUUU!!! That is now just toooo cool!

I really love that you guys brought two bladed lightsabres into the game! It really makes my Sacred Jedi builts worth to play!

Felix, I really love the probosal of yours for adding socket(s) to the third bonus group. If this would be possible, I can't thank You enough. If it is too much asked for, I would be happy if either You, Felix, or Silver_Fox could explain to me what has to be done to see them happen and I would give it a try in a "private" mod.

• Like! 1

That's another awesome update! I really like all new fistweapons and the Troll Carver sword - the game needs more two-handers worthy of wielding and this is one good sword. I'm glad to see that you found some use for sword-unlocked "chance to hit additional opponents" - it's a simple but effective modifier that can appear on more items than just Maul's lightsaber. And I just love the design Pesmontis made for the Aeon Flux sword. It's good to know that you've furnished it with worthy modifiers and made it available to all classes, not just for the Seraphim as was the original idea. I'm looking forward to finding it for my Dual Wielders.

I hope that you won't mind if I tell some more things about swordstaves. Just so that the people knew what to expect from the new weapon type.

Rare Swordstaves:

Just as Flix said, Dual-bladed lightsabers now appear as a new weapon type available as rare (yellow) items. These items can be found from all the same monsters that can drop two-handed swords and with enough bargaining can be bought at vendors. From what I've tested, for the characters who keep Bargaining at level, they are common enough merchandise to make it possible to use them as main weapons for a character biuld.

All rare swordstaves share some common features - they sport the "chance to disregard armor" modifier that is a feature of a weapon class (similar to the original one-handed lightsabers) and starting from the Silver difficulty they have at least one high quality socket. In 90% cases it is a gold one, but sometimes it is replaced with silver. Other than that they have two more modifiers - an offensive and a defensive ones, that also have a chance to turn into sockets.

They also have custom names, so that you could tell them apart from other things when they drop. If you want to find them, look for dropping items called "Saberstaff", "Lightstaff" or "Doublesaber". Here are some examples of what you can get:

9k5ldz.gif

Maul's Swordstaff:

This swordstaff was designed in the image of a lightsaber that Darth Maul wielded and offers modifiers that allow to imitate one of the fighting styles for such weapons. With it you can use both blades of your lightsaber to hit enemies, effectively reaching not just those who stand in front of the fighter, but to the sides and even behind. The "chance to hit additional opponents" is rather high, making it one of the main features of this unique item. However, just like Attack and Defense values it is unlocked by Sword Weapons skill and scales with it. At the height of its power Maul's Swordstaff is a formidable weapon, but you need to invest a whole lot into your character's skill with Sword Weapons to see it shine like this. Here is what it can become (Niob, 200 points in Sword Lore):

308xuur.gif

Jedi Mind Trick:

Mind Tricks are the type of Force power that alters the opponents' perception of reality. This weapon allows you to warp their sense of time, causing them to move slowly and think that you move at incredible speed. It also makes it easier for you to evade their slow clumsy blows. Though there is a limit to the weapon's power - you can only be seen as a fast fighter if you have some real fighting prowess. So "Attack Speed" requires the Sword Weapons skill and scales with it. The Jedi Mind Trick was intended as a "levelling weapon" - the more powerful it is, the more you can do with it! So if you see it dropping with different sets of modifiers at different item levels, it's not a bug, it's a feature. See how it grows:

11w6l51.gif

Edited by Silver_fox
  • Like! 1

> ".. bring these brand-new weapon types to life.."
Don't forget to credit the one who had the idea in the first place ;-)

> ".. I just love the design Pesmontis made for the Aeon Flux sword.."
Thanks Silver_fox, you're actually the first to appreciate this model (in 6 months).

• Like! 1

:4rofl: It was my exact reaction when I first installed I&B and saw this helmet... Though if you dig up the real Maul's portrait you'd see the difference. Maybe your old idea about making a Darth Maul's helmet/mask that still is listed in the first post is worth implementing now that we have the sword.

I'm glad that you liked the writeup. I'm sorry for stealing the spotlight like this, but as the new two-handed lightsabers are unlikely to get a proper wiki page like all original weapontypes have, I decided to make a similar explanation here.

Now I'm waiting for this update you went to make. I'm curious as to what you'd be showing next.

Edited by Silver_fox
  • Like! 1

Heh. Speaking of Heavy Metal, I saw a silly message the other day that reminded me of you: ii1Vgcit.jpg

I swapped around some bonus for the Dual Axe set above. You can now see the new stats in the post.

Time for the last new items update before release (tomorrow!). This time: Polearms.

Transfixion Orb

Dragon Brother made these textures and did some scripting for the design. Thank you! I'm very glad to include it in the mod. "Transfixion" has a double meaning of a trance-like state and also wounding. The swirling hypnotic orb mesmerizes enemies while the spiky blades slice and stab them.

I7eO5jpt.jpg pmvPxMAm.jpg

Longinus Lance

Two ideas from Dave-O, one for a spear with chance to stun and ice damage, and another named after the Spear of Destiny, combined into one item.

DOLJ4F1t.jpg 1WDs2VBt.jpg i2ALoqam.jpg

Waton's Dreamblade

This long halberd was an NPC-only item that I unlocked. It was mainly used by Dragon Cultists. This particular blade belonged to Waton, who aspired to be leader of the cult, when he discovered the former leader Ophtanar was giving the cultists dreamberries to make them drugged and fanatical followers. He enlists your help in the Dragon Cult quest. The Chance to Hit Additional Opponents is unlocked by Pole Arms lore.

qiOHnqnt.jpg W4Mpo64m.jpg

Halberd of the Rocks

This halberd is named after the weapon of the same name from Divine Divinity, which was quite powerful but afflicted with a stamina drain curse that could only be cleansed in limited circumstances. The curse has been lifted from this incarnation of the halberd. The Defense value is unlocked by Pole Arms lore.

u4z8oiSt.jpg KFn6DpWm.jpg

Snowstaff of the Ogre

Another unlocked NPC-only item, this pole (not a magic staff) is wielded by Ogre ice shamans. It is lightly coated with frost and protects the user from fire.

KseN6TTt.jpg gLNFyhat.jpg V848wTXm.jpg

Twilight Harvester

An atmospheric name for a big intimidating scythe (the three scythes are classified as blunt Poles btw). The Chance Opponents Cannot Evade is unlocked by Pole Arms Mastery.

iLFj7Qst.jpg xrfb0Gmm.jpg

Ok, well that concludes the introductions of all the new weapons and shields I've made! You will get one last update with some new Inquisitor armor added (in a separate thread), then tomorrow before release of the mod I will update the first post of this thread to be an overview of everything added (probably just a single small thumbnail for each new item/set).

• Like! 1

The last but not least update for this mod release is now done. And a good one it is. Finally we have a unique scythe with some nice stats, so maybe these weapons would get some more attention and show up in character builds more often. I like the Halberd of the Rocks, which finally made this beautiful model into a useful unique weapon. As a person who played Divine Divinity, I'm just happy to finally be able to equip the thing without worrying about the curse.

Though probably the best part of today's update is the new stats for the Flash Eaters'. I'm very fond of the new way the modifiers are distributed - all items look good, but the best bonuses are reserved for set completion, just like a well-designed set should be.

• Like! 1

Lol, Flix, that message is So me! The female form is mystifying to me, far beyond just a base, carnal level. The female body has a duality that just amazes me. They can be sensual and predatory, yet nurturing and motherly all at the same time. There was a song by Meredith Brooks, where she says she's a sinner, saint, mother, secret lover, and everything in between all at once. THAT is the female form to me; it's not something to be covered up, censored, and considered sinful, it's the most awe-inspiring expression of art that I've ever seen. One could possibly say I feel as such because of my....preference, but I don't think so, the reason is because I think that males in general struggle with duality to a certain extent, I don't think we can be simultaneously graceful yet powerful on the same level that females can be.

• Like! 1