New Uniques and Legendaries - Brainstorming

Flix

Thanks for all the up-dates very nice looking pics!

But when is now the actual day, time when we can get our hands on this!? ;)

And once again, I do have a question! Silver_Fox was writing in her post about Swordstaffs that they can be dropped by monsters as well. Does this account for lightsabres as well? I'm asking because, as far as I know, up to now lightsabres can only be gained by bargaining or quest rewards, isn't it!?

It would be just too cool if lightsabres would also get a chance to be dropped by monsters.

A Jedi in hope to live of the land and not anylonger dependend on a shopper! :starwars:

Right now I'd say the upload ETA is around 14-16 hours from now. There may also be a slight delay as new and updated downloads have to be approved by moderators.

All the content is complete. All I need to do is update the install instructions and info, and upload a version for some quick-checking (no missing icons, etc.) for my testers.

I believe that Flix added the swordstaves to all the same droplists as the original two-handed sword uniques, so they should drop from all the same monsters (please correct me if it's not so and you did something different). But we've done nothing about rare (yellow) one-handed lightsabers. New uniques should drop just like one-handed swords do.

• Like! 1

Im not sure if this was mentioned yet but wouldnt it be fun to have a unique throwing weapon with the model of the kobold's stones that they throw? You could name it "David's *generic adjective* Stone". Would be a reference to the fairytale "David and Goliath"

This another of your posts that I'm just now seeing, despite reading this thread on a regular basis. I'm not ignoring you! There's something funny going on with a delay in your posts showing up or something.

Anyway, I think the idea of using those throwing stones is pretty neat. I haven't tried them out yet but I know at some point they were intended to be used for the player and had to be scrapped (so they are now "Lost Items"). I would have to check to see if the player could even equip the stone and what animations could be used for it though, so it might be a lot of work. It's something I'll keep in mind for the next release.

Looks very cool - oversized and only present as decoration perhaps? Probably why I didn't uncover it when looking for unused shields.

I have MASSIVELY overhauled and updated the first post of this thread everyone! It is now a Table of Contents and overview for all the content that is included in the mod.

The file has been uploaded and submitted to the DarkMatters Downloads, so all we have to wait for now is for it to be approved, and then MOAR LOOT FOR ALL! :D

• Like! 1

> ".. oversized and only present as decoration.."
Surely oversized. In think it might actually be ellipsiodal, not a bent plate. I'll look for it in the model files.

[edit] The model is l_drysymbol-c1.GR2 in models\objects\misc\dryads with surface "drysymbol-c1-1-l".

> ".. now a Table of Contents.."
It's very accessible, again one nice piece of hard work :-)

Yes, MOAR LOOT ! harrrr.. !

Edited by Pesmontis
  • Like! 1

Yay! The first release is finally up! I congratulate Flix and the rest of the community with the successful completion of this mod which is the biggest Sacred 2 treasure chest I've seen so far. So many new interesting items to find and use! It's amazing how much new stuff was completed in relatively short time, much to the delight of everybody who still plays Sacred 2 and wants new things to look forward to and new ideas for the character builds.

Now I guess all of us would be off to spend some time playing with the new items. Though maybe not, as there are more ideas for this mod that haven't yet came to life.

Maybe it's bad taste, but right on the day of the release I want to ask about one more feature for the future versions: How hard do you think it would be to make a T-Energy tube effect to run along the bow? Sacred 1 had several very good longbows that had a glow running along an almost transparent frame - Magical Elven Bows, Araelfi's Glorious Retribution and of course Ettol'Rahc-Notwen's Elaborate Longbow. In Sacred 2 longbows aren't usually the Dryad's weapon of choice, losing to fast-hitting blowpipes and life-leeching shurikens. Maybe recreating a really good bow from Sacred 1 would make the classical archers more compelling as a ranged build variety. (Yes, I'm a Wood Elf fan, as if you could not tell from my avatar)

• Like! 1

> ".. I want to ask about one more feature for the future versions.."

No bad timing at all: it's good to have continuity in development !

> ".. a T-Energy tube effect to run along the bow.."

Not hard at all, just make sure you have a diffuse texture with an alpha channel, and paint it white where the effect should be. Then set up your surface like this:

newSurface = {
  name         = "mosaic4_tubes",
  texture0Name = "maps/../mosaic4_d_with_Alpha_for_tubes.tga",
  texture1Name = "maps/../mosaic4_sg.tga",
  texture2Name = "maps/../mosaic4_n.tga",
  flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_OPAQUE + SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY,
  shader       = obj_d_s_b,
}
mgr.surfCreate(newSurface);

> ".. a really good bow from Sacred 1.."

As far as I've seen, S1 only has three/four bow models, and they're pretty straightforward. With respect to the model I would recommend a new design.

Thank you. I guess I'd be trying something with the bows once I'm done with armor textures I'm working on now (or when I get so sick and tired of them that I'd want to work on something different).

>"...As far as I've seen, S1 only has three/four bow models, and they're pretty straightforward. With respect to the model I would recommend a new design..."

I agree here. When I was speaking of recreating a Sacred 1 bow, I meant the stats and the general feel of a rather powerful ranged weapon, rather than exact look. That was why I asked about the "running glow" effect - I guess with this characteristic feature in the item appearance, it can be associated with Sacred 1 prototype even if we use another model. Or maybe the effect would be enough so that even a simple model looked interesting.

I thought of working with the I&B crystal bow model, which I guess would be fitting enough even if the T-Energy effect won't look good on it. The model is this one:

296bpk8.gif

Edited by Silver_fox

> ".. the Ice and Blood crystal bow model.."

Yeah, why not. I think it should fit - we could even run T-energy through the bow-string..

These are two ideas for shields:

post-19689-0-03334900-1395703689_thumb.jpg

The current demon shield looks quite low-poly in-game, so I'm thinking about remodeling it. It actually features something like goat skulls, but maybe the demon skull from the Judicator belt, or a skull from a desert lamppost might fit as well.

post-19689-0-86788800-1395703979_thumb.jpg

This is the ornamental Dryad shield, worked in 3DSmax. It might need another texture for the inside.

• Like! 1

Lookin' great! I prefer the cow skull on the right side. Though if you did remodel the shield, I'm not sure if I'd want to replace the old one (part of the appeal is that it IS the old one from S1). I might be better to make a brand new shield.

The Dryad shield looks good. Too. A plain shape but interesting earthy green texture.

New bows are interesting. Slow execution speed for Bows in Sacred 2 turned me off from making a Ranged Dryad (fool that I was, I didn't realize there were so many better alternatives).

I finally made a thread for Disgraced Gods and added a link to the first post in this thread.

I had a feeling that the bows in Sacred 2 are quite close to what the crossbows were in Sacred 1 - almost everybody can use them, and they are quite powerful in dealing good damage per shot, but they are so slow that people usually do not consider them as main weapon. If you did not one-shot the opponent, you are in trouble. Maybe packing them with attack and/or cast speed or at least making the single shots very powerful would redeem the usually slow and not compelling weapon type.

I actually quite like the idea of remodelling the Daemon shield with replacement. If the shape is the same but of better quality, than why not. If you take the cow skull, make it slightly elongated and bend the horns to accomodate the round base of the shield, you'd get pretty much the same appearance that won't look mismatching in the high-poly world of Sacred 2. Making it a new unique would be good either, but Sacred 1 has only one unique or set item that used that model - otherwise it dropped as rare. Making it a Sacred 1-looking shield that is not a reference to Sacred 1 is strange. Though maybe if the new unique would be made, it can reference a Daemon in general and not be a recreation of a specific item.

I guess it depends on how similar it looks. If it matches, then it should be a replacement. If it looks significantly different, then we could alter the other textures and make a new shield.

> ".. better to make a brand new shield..."
I thought so, that's why I put up the examples.

> ".. earthy green texture.."
You don't mind that it hasn't got a separate texture 'inside grey' ?

> ".. but they are so slow.."
I do like to have jewelry socketed to gain increased attack speed.
Plus (to me) it seems quite accidental to have a high firing rate with a ranged weapon..

> ".. and bend the horns.."
Could do that as well - I guess it depends on how it turns out. I'll spend some time on it and upload a proposal.

>"I do like to have jewelry socketed to gain increased attack speed."

The mechanics of the game limits the maximum of Attack Speed the character can have with a weapon class. Once you've hit the limit, the innate properties of the weapons come into play. With the same attack speed Blowpipes fire much faster and manage to have better damage per second than slower albeit powerful bows. Bows need to have interesting modifiers on them to be considered as a weapon of choice. It's about the same with the Throwing Daggers - they have the same projectile trajectory as Throwing Stars, but have a bit different (worse) selection of modifiers. As a result, quite a few people use stars, but some forget that the daggers are in game at all.

As we are talking about Ranged Weapons and Shields: Can we somehow design a shield that won't look ridiculous while equipped with a pistol? I'm not sure what kind of design it can have, maybe something minimalistic and not shield-like at all. Classical medieval shields of which the game has a plenty look so off with modern or sci-fi pistols, but leaving an empty hand slot is quite silly mechanics-wise.

Once again many thanks for this Mod! I have plaid it now for about one hour and did a little shopping tour with my LV 50 Shopping Seraphim.

When I did so, there had been one thing I could easily witness and it is something, I feel, could take away some of the fun from the new lightsabre staffs. They had always been in the offer of the merchant and in addition they also had been quite powerful, at least to my understanding. All of them always had at least one socket, mostly gold, one damage modifier socket and quite some of them had attributes like +x to all attributes and with +x I do mean numbers like +7. Furhtermore, I don't know if it had been designed that way, all of them only had been available with fire damage.

As a side note, during this one hour of shopping I could only get one light sabre which had been useful and anotherone, which I didn't bought, I could see.

So, when comparing these to seemingly similar weapons, I do feel that the new twobladed light sabre staffs do excel the normal light sabre in all points, which I do feel, is a bit sad as in aditions and according to the words of Silver_Fox the staffs also can be dropped by opponents, which I haven't tested yet.

So, if possible and in the idea of you developers of this mod, I would kindly ask to adjust those new light sabre staffs to the other weapons.

Ah, and one more thing before I head for bed to night.

Using this mod results for me in having a wild mixture of English and German now for some items. Is there a plan of creating a German version of this mod or in other words what is needed to get it translated into German? I would be happy to help, if it is not too difficult technically spoken.

Edited by Yoshio

As we are talking about Ranged Weapons and Shields: Can we somehow design a shield that won't look ridiculous while equipped with a pistol? I'm not sure what kind of design it can have, maybe something minimalistic and not shield-like at all. Classical medieval shields of which the game has a plenty look so off with modern or sci-fi pistols, but leaving an empty hand slot is quite silly mechanics-wise.

Like a riot shield?

shieldanimation.jpg

Once again many thanks for this Mod! I have plaid it now for about one hour and did a little shopping tour with my LV 50 Shopping Seraphim.

When I did so, there had been one thing I could easily witness and it is something, I feel, could take away some of the fun from the new lightsabre staffs. They had always been in the offer of the merchant and in addition they also had been quite powerful, at least to my understanding. All of them always had at least one socket, mostly gold, one damage modifier socket and quite some of them had attributes like +x to all attributes and with +x I do mean numbers like +7. Furhtermore, I don't know if it had been designed that way, all of them only had been available with fire damage.

As a side note, during this one hour of shopping I could only get one light sabre which had been useful and anotherone, which I didn't bought, I could see.

So, when comparing these to seemingly similar weapons, I do feel that the new twobladed light sabre staffs do excel the normal light sabre in all points, which I do feel, is a bit sad as in aditions and according to the words of Silver_Fox the staffs also can be dropped by opponents, which I haven't tested yet.

So, if possible and in the idea of you developers of this mod, I would kindly ask to adjust those new light sabre staffs to the other weapons.

Using this mod results for me in having a wild mixture of English and German now for some items. Is there a plan of creating a German version of this mod or in other words what is needed to get it translated into German? I would be happy to help, if it is not too difficult technically spoken.

Oh, this mod is only in English right now (as described in the download thread). Translating to other languages would be a lot of work but it could be done.

I don't think I understand what your problem is with the 2H lightsabers. They should be more powerful than regular lightsabers because they take up two hands, whereas 1H Lightsabers can be dual wielded or worn with a shield. Right now they all have fire damage as the main damage type (as described in Silver Fox's post about the 2h ligthsabers).

> ".. leaving an empty hand slot.."

In general, the hero models have three attachment points on the arms (except maybe the TG): a weapon point on the left & right hand and a shield point on the left elbow. The model being attached to the shield point can be anything of course, but it needs to fit the position on the arm and it won't move with the hand.
A dagger + sheath for example, or a jogging radio, a wrist watch, an RSI bandage, a lacrosse arm guard, a splint, etc.

Here's one other thing that was added to the mod: 3 variants of the Scourge bone helm and shoulders (retextures):

VGNUSEA.jpg

The other 2 variants have a dark dirty bone texture and red and orange glows. The green glow helm pictured above I made into a new unique item:

VybfKyE.jpg

It is a recreation of the helm of the same name from Diablo 2.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Yoshio, on 25 Mar 2014 - 21:53, said:snapback.png

Oh, this mod is only in English right now (as described in the download thread). Translating to other languages would be a lot of work but it could be done.

I don't think I understand what your problem is with the 2H lightsabers. They should be more powerful than regular lightsabers because they take up two hands, whereas 1H Lightsabers can be dual wielded or worn with a shield. Right now they all have fire damage as the main damage type (as described in Silver Fox's post about the 2h ligthsabers).

Sorry for confusing You, Flix, had been a bit late already yesterday.

Anyway, what I wanted to say hasn't had to do that the 2 handed lightsabres are more powerful than the 1 handed ones. That is perfectly okay with me. But the feeling I got is, that they are much more powerful than any other two handed weapon as well, especially when seeing modifiers like "+7 to all attributes" and one or two silver/gold sockets and a high "+x% chance to ignore armor" and "+x% dodging" and so on. Most of the 2 handed lightsabres I had seen yesterday had a high modifier for fire damage - sorry for not having it got already within Silver_Fox post - plus often up to three blue modifiers and sometimes even an additional gold modifier together with at least one socket for another damage modifier socket and one up to three silver or gold sockets.

So far I haven't seen any other 2 handed weapons with that much of useful modifiers.

This together with that at every vendor at least 3 but up to like 6 of them had been available made me feel like "This has to be the weapon of your choice!"

In my opinion, making them a bit more rare might be an idea to think about or, if it shouldn't be in your interest, I would be very happy if you could tell me how to do it.

Edited by Yoshio

>"...They had always been in the offer of the merchant and in addition they also had been quite powerful, at least to my understanding..."

It's a common trick that Bargaining skill plays at you. Low level shoppers have good chance to get the most rare items if they keep Bargaining at level, but high level shoppers can't achieve such results. The swordstaves are scripted as tier 12 items, which is the best and the most rare shoppable tier. Shoppers of level 50 and below can see them quite often (as I know from my experiments with level 35 HE shopper), shoppers about level 80-90 struggle to find them despite high Bargaining level, and at level 140 you fail to see them no matter what you do. Refer to Antitrust's Guide about Bargaining to understand how it works.

>"...All of them always had at least one socket, mostly gold, one damage modifier socket and quite some of them had attributes like +x to all attributes and with +x I do mean numbers like +7. Furhtermore, I don't know if it had been designed that way, all of them only had been available with fire damage..."

Sadly, the fire damage is the only one currently available. The dominant damage type for lightsabers is connected to the item type and to the appearance. Right now we can create only red swordstaves (the color is a property of the model and they can't be retextured in the blade area, so unless more models would be created it would stay this way), so they all have fire damage.

As for the sockets and modifiers:

The regular metal two-handed swords and axes usually have four modifiers - one coming from the weapon type and 3 random ones. Swordstaves have 1 weapon type modifier, one socket and 2 random modifiers. It's balanced, they just have one high-quality bonus bonus fixed as high-quality socket.

"All skills +x" modifier can roll on all two-handed weapons and actually that x is great for all of them. Looking into technical stuff, we can see this modifier appear in the following bonus groups (I'm listing only two-handers for comparison):

id = 281,
  name = "BGW_hafted2h_normal"  -- axes and hammers
  amount for rare - 1650

id = 25,
  name = "BGW_sword2h_normal"  -- regular metal swords
  amount for rare - 1700

id = 572,
  name = "BGW_pole_normal"  -- halberds and poles
  amount for rare -  1350

id = 1104,
  name = "BGW_off_saberstaff_rare " -- dual-bladed lightsabers
  amount for rare - 1650

Note that for the original weapons this modifier appears in "normal" bonusgroup and not in the "rare" one, which means that these items can roll another gold and yellow quality modifiers at the same time as +All Skills. Besides, "All Skills" and "All CAs" are the best swordstaves can possibly roll. All other modifiers they have are somewhat weaker.

>"...So, when comparing these to seemingly similar weapons, I do feel that the new twobladed light sabre staffs do excel the normal light sabre in all points, which I do feel, is a bit sad..."

To compare them to similar weapon, you should compare them to other two-handed weapons, and here they are about equal. They do excel one-handed lightsabers in the same way as regular two-handed swords excel one-handed. The game always gives two-handers better amounts of modifiers because they take both hand slots, so these modifiers are all you get.

>"...Like a riot shield?.."

I thought about this, but I'm not sure if it would fit in Ancaria. Maybe a seraphim would look OK with it, but a little Elf or a robed Inquisitor would look strange with such shield type.

>"...dagger + sheath for example... arm guard..."

It would be quite cool in my opinion. If, of course, it can be done to look Ok with most armor. As far as I know, most armors in game are pretty skin-tight in the elbow area, Elf's Raven set, seraphim's Ancient and Inquisitor's robes being an exception.

• Like! 1

>"...Like a riot shield?.."

I thought about this, but I'm not sure if it would fit in Ancaria. Maybe a seraphim would look OK with it, but a little Elf or a robed Inquisitor would look strange with such shield type.

Agree, but they also look strange with handguns. Also the Inquisitor can't use shields.