Could someone help with slang I heard today?

I was invited to a party next week, and I'm supposed to dress "ghetto preppy". The heck does that mean? I asked, and he sighed and said "God, you're still stuck in the 90s, huh?". Urban dictionary didn't help. I know what preppy is, I don't know what ghetto is, and I really don't know what ghetto preppy is. Internet showed a picture of Sarah Jessica Parker in a dress and Swarovski necklace. I wonder if it'll float if I wear my Skynyrd sweatshirt, Izod jeans,Timothy Daniels duster, and boots. After all, these are good ole boys, I don't think they know what ghetto preppy is any more than I do

Never mind, I found it. I don't know if I can dress like that, I'm far too much of a good ole boy. But so are they, so I think they're pulling my leg

Edited by Gilberticus

If it is a motto party, you can overdress to fit the theme.

If it is a party where a group of people defined by their ethnic group, age, living place or whatever wears a kind of uniform showing that they belong to the group... I always didn't disguise.

If I am invited then I am a guest and the invitor knows who I am. Just trying to wear nothing that would insult, but else I do my own thing.

And I learned The text and to pipe An englishmen in Newyork.

Like when my older sister who worked for an insurance company in a big town invited me for a party when I was early 20ties and at army. All these yuppies and most girls against soldiers, I didn't disguise. I came with my motorbike and in formal uniform. The intereting people will talk/discuss with you, the others I don't care.

• Like! 1

Definitely not Skynard or a duster. You didn't say what type of boots; no, if they're cowboy. Try searching ghetto prep instead of preppy (although it's not much more help).

I'd go w/ jeans, black tshirt, and sport coat. A pair of Nikes or other brand name shoes if you have them. If you can find a big fake gold chain or two for cheap, wear it. Oh, and gangsta fedoras are popular now, if you can find one super cheap but don't waste real money on one if you won't wear it again. Hmm, if you felt like hitting the Goodwill thrift store, you could look for cheap tshirts that have a designer logo on them; the bigger the logo the better.

If you don't already own a basic black (no printing) t-shirt, you should have one (or several) anyway. If nothing else, hit Old Navy and they have black tshirts w/ gray ribbing on the collar and sleeves for $8 or so. But don't wear all black because you're not trying to be Goth or Emo or whatever.

This made me smile. Masteff, I don't believe I've ever had the chance of talking directly to you yet. Of course I might be mistaken. But I'll tell you something about me. It's true that I wasn't quite sure what ghetto prep was,but the Skynyrd and duster comment I made was sarcasm. Not sarcasm with anger, sarcasm with a smile. Because my normal look, which is indeed the Skynyrd and duster, is the antithesis of what I imagined ghetto prep to look like. It's hard to know my tone on here, especially because I never use emoticons or text-speak, like lol and lmao. But if I said something like "I've been invited to a 4 star, ritzy gala, so I wonder if I can get away with a Motley Crue shirt under my blazer", this is just me being silly. I'll have to work on me using emoticons. I also have to work on giving the full story, my apologies. I don't just sit down on here to type, I'm always at work or also watching something like the new Doctor Who series. Anyway, I'm highly skeptical that the theme of the party is ghetto preppy, because I've recently learned the reason for the party: there's a Dukes of Hazard marathon on CMT. It might seem like a nasty little joke to play on someone, but I'm the type of guy who would laugh if you had me dress ghetto prep to a Dukes of Hazard marathon. The Good Book says that there's a season for everything: a time to laugh, cry, be jovial, be serious, etc. I'm a full supporter and practitioner of that. However, hmm.... how do I put this? Ok, here: there is indeed a time to be serious, and I'm not one of the obnoxious ones who's clowning around during a serious moment, that's how people get hurt. However,I'm a military vet, and I've been through the wringer, as all vets have to a certain degree. When I came home, I realized that we take things too seriously in the civvie world. Long story short, unless some seriously bogus crap is hitting the fan, I'm the guy who's quick with a joke or light of your smoke. So, why people pull little jokes on me is because I'm the guy to do that to. I was dating a girl before I met my fiance who was.....a little ditzy. So, I tried to see if she'd believe me when I told her dogs give birth out their mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

I dressed as I normally do, just as everyone else did. Now that I have more time, I'll tell ya the full story. There's a group of guys who always play practical jokes on me , and vice versa. This whole me vs. them type deal started years ago, when I sent them to a hip hop club under the the illusion that it was a country bar. Anyway, they told me that they were having a ghetto preppy costume party, and they totally would have gotten me, except for one thing, the thing that always makes their practical jokes fail: they have a .... hmm, I'm not sure what you'd call him. He's kinda like the Gilligan of the group. They told him not to tell me it was a practical joke. What they forgot to tell him is not to tell me that the whole reason why they're actually getting together was because Smitty was having a backyard beer-b-que due to the Dukes of Hazard marathon on CMT. I thought about letting them win this one, but I have a lot going on these days, it's easier for me to dodge their practical jokes than for me to be making some of my own. Maybe I'll let them win the next one.

• Like! 1

So you send them to hip hop club dressed as cowboys, and now, years later, they wanted you to show up to their all Texas western style BBQ as a pimp? That would be funny if it was not so delayed. Maybe its time to bury the hatchet, before Gilligan does it for real and somebody gets hurt.

Not delayed. Me sending them to a hip hop club was just the first practical joke, there's been many since then. We really don't have a hatchet to bury, what I did wasn't that big of a deal. In this part of the world, if you dress like a cowboy to a hip hop club, all you get is a few stares. Had I gone looking like a pimp to their Tex bbq, all I would have gotten is a few laughs since I knew everyone there. Pranks can get people hurt, but it never escalates that far, a cowboy in a hip hop bar isn't a big deal. Had I sent them to a country bar in leather pants and fishnet shirts, That would have been brutal. But we never let it get that far. I think the wildest thing they've done was take a little bit of mud and clay and try to get me to think my dog pooped in my kitchen. The funny part is they didn't realize that a great dane doesn't drop little beagle sized turds.

• Like! 1