Purifying Chastisement bronze mod does increase damage

Ginnosaji

Yes, very cool application of CA synergy there.

SacredWiki SHOULD be pretty complete and accurate as of now with Combat Art properties (no guarantees though). For example, the page for Purifying Chastisement tells us:

Modification Notes
  • The Bronze level modifications are seemingly superficial, but they actually have very specific applications.
    • Purge is better used for Inquisitors who wish to use long ranged weapons, slow melee weapons and/or make use of damage over time.
    • Mystic is better for Inquisitors who wish to fight up close and personal, utilizing fast melee attacks.
    • Note that these two modifications do not add fire or magic damage, they multiply existing damage of that type. So if the Inquisitor is not wielding weapons with either of these damage types, they will not take effect. Note also however, that these modifications also apply to spell damage, so for example, the magic damage of Levin Array will be boosted by Mystic.

Sucks you were mislead about this in the past. :/

• 2 weeks later...

I am amazed at the find of %damage conversion to element works with inquisitor damage bronze mod. Everyone always said it didn't. Are you sure?

Try equipping a ring that raises fire damage by a % (or magic) see if it raises the converted damage. Then we can sort out this matter a little better. It might only be combat arts such as the bronze modification and not rings.

The bronze PC mods increase ALL sources of the corresponding damage type (either fire or magic, depending on which mod is chosen). It simply provides a Damage: Magic +% bonus (or Fire). Choose one of the mods, activate the buff and then check your bonus overview. I'm kind of baffled why people would say that it wouldn't work for magic/fire damage on weapons.

It's the same as any other source of % Damage. You put a Lava Chunk into Sword of the Blood Dryads, which has a big % increase to Fire damage, and you effectively increase the total damage of the sword, because now more of the sword's damage is converted to fire, which is then boosted by the % Fire Damage modifier. It should work the exact same way with the Fire damage boost from PC.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Flix. People thought that the conversion to magic for % socketable item happened after applying bonuses to damage.

So we thought it was like:

50 damage sword. Apply PC mod = zero bonus to fire damage. 2nd after that convert physical damage to fire and if you have a 25% mod then you do

12 damage fire and 38 damage physical.

If what you say is true it is like:

50 damage sword. Apply conversion to fire = 50 x .25 = 12 damage fire and 38 physical. Now multiply the fire by the PC mod and you get 12 x +50% (figure to illustrate) and you do 18 fire damage and 38 physical.

So can you wear gloves that convert to magic and use a phyical combat art like gust of wind (GoW)? Will it add magic damage to GoW? Could you kill the poison lord with %magic gloves and GoW?

nevermind my post is not related to the above ^^ It is a different question I raised. Sorry for the derail.

Edited by claudius

Ok, I tested it and Damage % bonuses (including from the Purifying Chastisement mods) are applied after damage is converted. I ran several tests but they all turned out the same so this one example should be illustrative:

Naked inquisitor, wileding only a plain old magic staff with only physical damage, socketed with a Magic Pearl giving about 50% conversion to magic damage.

Before PC buff with "Mystic" mod:

WdEcKrO.jpg

After PC buff with "Mystic" mod:

42HHlCq.jpg

Magic damage has been increased. I don't know why anyone thought it wouldn't be. Maybe it used to be different before Ice and Blood. I've never played the original Fallen Angel.

So can you wear gloves that convert to magic and use a phyical combat art like gust of wind (GoW)? Will it add magic damage to GoW? Could you kill the poison lord with %magic gloves and GoW?

nevermind my post is not related to the above ^^ It is a different question I raised. Sorry for the derail.

Damage conversion should only work for weapon damage, not Combat Arts.

This is an excellence reference post

It should be referred to as a "note" on the page of Wiki where a possible question could be arising regarding this because of "talk"

strong work flix

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

I found out something else. With a ice relic in my sword if I switch on crystal skin with the ice damage mod both the ice damage and total damage go up.

That is exactly as Flix tests show.

But interestingly Magic Coup which is a function of weapon damage does not go up! But magic coup is a weapon CA and if you use a higher base damage sword it does more damage. But the ice damage mod addition to damage does not modify magic coup.

I assume this is only true for magic coup, archangels wrath, and spectral hand.

• Like! 1