In the hospital again.

I'm sorry to hear that. It might not mean much from me, being that we've had less than a handful of conversations, but I thought I'd send a little ray of positivity your way. Rest up and get well soon :bye:

They don't know what caused it. They want to run some tests once everything has calmed down. They also want to know why it looks like it's chronic when this is only the second episode I've had and the first time I've been hospitalized with it.

I got out today. I'm going to have to have some kind of endoscopic procedure in the next month or two so they can try to figure out what is going on. I do follow up with regular doc on Thursday.

I am so glad to be home. So are the kitties. :rofl:

Glad to hear you're out of the hospital and get to be back home! :)

• Like! 1

Just getting home cut my pain levels down by close to half. :) I have my first follow up visit tomorrow. Been researching eating regimen changes (I'm using that phrase because the word 'diet' is truly a four letter word).

http://stanfordhospital.org/digestivehealth/nutrition/DH-Nutrition-Therapy-for-Chronic-Pancreatitis.pdf

This was the most useful info I have found so far.

I was close to use another terrible four letter word, the word only.

When I read acute pankreatitis in your first post I was really worried. If you can cure it with a diet it was hopefully 'only' an acute burst of chronic pankreatitis? In german usage we have

chronic pankreatitis

acute bursts of pain when having chronic pankreatitis

acute pankreatitis

The diets differ between chronic and acute. Acute often demands a Parenteral nutrition and then slowly getting back to normal food. Thats why I said only. Normally there are local interest groups of affected people who share their experiences.

My prefered recipe data base (german one) lists 61 nice recipes allowed for people with pankreatitis which are tasty for healthy people too. I know from my own experience that it is better to have a diet eaten by all and not just the ill. We had a diet plan when our second suffered from a not healing wound at her car accident. She needed skin grafting and a special diet. But she felt healthier when she hadn't the feeling that she had something extra at the table.

Could you give me the link to that site chattius? Apparently I do have the chronic type and that was the first acute one I needed to be hospitalized for and the second episode ever. The first one was last fall, and as I said it was not serious enough to require hospitalization.

I do have to go through further testing with endoscopic ultrasound to figure out how the heck I have developed the chronic version with this limited history. I'm guessing my fibromyalgia may be a part of the picture for failing to figure this out earlier.

Thanks so much for that link. The are investigating what role metformin might have played in this. I do need more testing too and my regular doc is willing to co-ordinate all of that, which makes me happy since he is a fantastic doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

This has really slowed life down for me. Hubby and I met with a diabetic nurse educator this last Tuesday. She was able to give us a lot of useful information but kept focusing on carbs rather than fats. I had to keep bringing her back on track with that, because we already had the carbs pretty much figured out. We weren't counting the fats though.

Metformin appears to be the culprit. It is a documented affect, but happens about 1 or 2 in a million instances. In other words, it's rare. I just happen to be that 1 or 2 in a million when it comes to drug reactions. And yes I've been that (un)lucky with several other medications.

You drink enough? Your kidneys are okay? Did you have an infection or a cold lately...

My wife is a doc and she did these questions quite automatic when hearing the symptoms. She said kidney functions have to be checked regulary when using Metformin, but your docs probably did. Infections or a cold can lower the filter rate of the kidneys for a while. If this happens Metformin can reach toxic levels. Her patients with Metformin are told to stop it and contact her when feeling pain symptoms like from a pankreatitis.

They did check all that, and have twice since I got out of the hospital. That is very good information, thank you. The only med I can take right now for diabetes is insulin.

I do go in for an endoscopic ultrasound next week.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an endoscopic ultrasound on Thursday. "It looks like cancer." They are waiting to confirm with biopsy results which will come back first part of this coming week.

Oh man. Goodluck with the waiting. And like I always do. Pray for the best and prepare for the worst.

Delta!

Let's hope for the best.

My wife asks if there was a reason for the biopsy. Normal praxis here is that they do a surgery right away to look. If it looks like cancer they remove it. Only reason for a biopsy would be medical reasons which would prevent a full surgery for the moment. It is cheaper than biopsy first and then a surgery. Less risc to spread cancer cells by the biopsy, but more riscs to catch a MRSA in case the surgery proofed to be unneccassary. All is a calculation of riscs and costs.

Insurance and costs sadly start to play bigger and bigger roles...