Joining the real world!

Well! Congratulations Ash! You must be thrilled to finally be finished with school and entering the "real world". Looks like quite the project you had to draft/produce/report on. Wow. Kudos to your mate for that logo. You should all get that tattoed on your shoulders. Tha Gulo Gang! "See here now, Nyaah!" Doing my best mobster voice thing, haha.

Any plans to celebrate? Or did you already?

You should all get that tattoed on your shoulders. Tha Gulo Gang!

It's a good design for a tattoo and it has a good story about several years of your life. Keep the picture around in case you get too drunk, but good luck finding a tattoo artist that can do the lines this well.

Toi toi toi for your job

You are lucky that you got a job were you could apply your bachelor work. I did theoritical maths at my diploma work and a cooperation with an army supplier for my doctor work. Did both because of it looked interesting and not for a long plan regarding hunting for a job. Both were quite useless to impress banks and insurance companies which give the most jobs for maths. Was more good contact at volunteer firefighters which gave me my nowadays jobs. Now I am quite happy for my job at countryside instead one inside a big town. The job is quite save because there are not much who did the crazy combination I did (mathematician who knows explosives).

• Like! 1

I've been meaning to post this just about all summer holidays (Dec-Feb) and seeing as I start full time work tomorrow figured it was probably now or never!

So, I finished my uni course at the end of last year and am now finally qualified with a Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (with honours) after five years working away at completing my double degree. And boy, the last semester of last year was a tough one as the focus of it was our final year design project. In groups of 6 or 7 we were required to complete a conceptual design of an Ammonia Plant from a given feedstock in a given location, certain detailed design aspects were also completed and economic predictions. So in a manner of ~12 weeks we all were required to become experts in the industrial production of ammonia, typically from natural gas. Then, given we were using coal or biomass as a feedstock we had to consider gasification of our fuel although we were all given a specific type of gasifier which simplified that aspect. Once we were up-to-date our next step was to complete a market evaluation for our product and any byproducts and a technological evaluation so as to determine the equipment our plant would then use. Once specific equipment types, purification methods, catalysts and so on were chosen we had to develop a rough process flow for our plant and then eventually develop this into a full computer simulation. We then had to verify all simulation results manually which consisted of mass and energy balances and each group member was given a specific process unit for which we had to complete a thorough mechanical design. This included determining specific catalyst requirements, cooling requirements, sizes and wall thicknesses which meet Australian Standards, develop detailed mechanical drawings and safety mechanisms in case of emergency. Assessments of the environmental impact of our plant were determined, I.e. global warming potential (basically CO2 emissions), resource depletion, toxicity effects and so on, emergency response plans and other safety schemes considered. Once we knew how much of every raw material and utility we needed and what equipment we had to complete an economic assessment, so capital investment, working capital, return on investment and all that (no group was able to produce an economically viable plant except for one group who slightly tweaked their interpretation of the project scope). Plant layout was discussed and drawings produced, social aspects were considered such as employment opportunities. Finally we had to make a conclusion about the viability of our project. All in a nice and succinct several hundred page report!

And in the first semester I had the added bonus of applying for lots and lots of graduate jobs, which I luckily managed to get one! So yeah, I start tomorrow at Wood Group PSN, a large international oil and gas brownfield organisation! Of course this means today is my last day of summer holidays ever and I'm now joining the 'real world.' Very much an exciting and daunting prospect! Below are some pictures of our submitted report, left folder is the report, right the appendices. The 3rd is our chosen group logo, a mate who's good at drawing came up with it for us.

attachicon.gifP1.jpgattachicon.gifP2.jpgattachicon.gifGulo Engineering Logo - small.jpg

Ashley congratulations!!

:hugs:

Oh dear, nostalgia...I remember when you got here to DarkMatters with us playing Sacred 2 when you were a teenager...how many years now? :o And now you're up and grown and finished school, last summer holiday, and off to the big job. *weep* another one of your yunguns off to build bridges and bring out some of the DarkMatters sun into the world!

I love how your job's about helping the world, it's fitting and now, you'll come back with more expertise for guide writing and mechanics!!

Great image, will that be yer next avatar^^

:)

gogo

congratulations DB. hope you will have lots of success in your career ahead. That is an epic file of information... :thumbs:

Delta!