I've been playing D3 all wrong!

I got Diablo 3 the day it came out, and lost interest in it a week later. I couldn't understand why some people gave the game such praise, I blew through the game in a few days. The new patch sparked a little new interest in the game for me, so I jumped back in the game and saw why I lost interest so quickly: I was playing it all wrong. One might argue that there's no wrong way to play a game, but there is for me. I made one toon in each race (minus the witch doctor, I just can't get into playing that guy) and made a beeline to each objective. I didn't explore, I didn't craft more than 6 items, I never upgraded the artisan, I didn't even do any grinding. Granted, this is a trivial thing when compared to the life altering events that the twins coming into the world are going to cause, but I'm a little embarrassed as a gamer. Shame on you, Gilberticus!!! I never just make beelines through games, and I sure as heck never ignore crafting. What was I thinking? That's like concentrating only on a lobster's chelipeds and throwing away the tomalley and roe (or eating the pepperoni off a pizza and throwing the rest away, if you're more comfortable with that analogy) What was I thinking? Granted, "what were you thinking?!" crosses my mind a lot when I come on the site and read posts I had made a few weeks prior, but this is different. So, this time, I think I'm going to play the game at a slower pace, enjoy it rather than gobbling through it like an over-caffeinated Pac-Man.

Excellent reflection. It's an interesting point you're making now. I never thought about it that much in terms of what I was enjoying about a game but now that you mention it... Crafting and shopping have always been what I spent at least half my game time doing. Sacred 1 was my first immersion into the whole shopping and crafting thing and ever since then, from Sacred to Guild Wars back to Sacred 2 then Guild Wars 2 and then Diablo 3. In all of them, crafting and shopping have been a huge part of my fun factor. I admit that at first it kinda sucks. But once you have a nicely set up shopper or crafter you begin to reap the benefits and that's when the fun begins.

Have fun!

Guild Wars..... you know, I dropped that after a week after I got it, just like D3. I'm starting to see a pattern here. I dropped Guild Wars the day I discovered Sacred 2 for consoles, and I think I blew through D3 because I discovered Sacred 2 had an American PC version. Maybe I should just stick to one game at a time

Guild Wars..... you know, I dropped that after a week after I got it, just like D3. I'm starting to see a pattern here. I dropped Guild Wars the day I discovered Sacred 2 for consoles, and I think I blew through D3 because I discovered Sacred 2 had an American PC version. Maybe I should just stick to one game at a time

I'm with you on that last part. I should've never quit D2. I think a lot of my friends disappeared so I looked for a new game to play and I discovered this amazing gem. Unfortunately I found it too late and the servers were shut down only months after I joined. I'm now forever in arpg limbo, always searching but never finding the experience I had with Diablo 2.

...I was playing it all wrong. One might argue that there's no wrong way to play a game, but there is for me...

...Shame on you, Gilberticus! I never just make beelines through games, and I sure as heck never ignore crafting. What was I thinking? That's like concentrating only on a lobster's chelipeds and throwing away the tomalley and roe (or eating the pepperoni off a pizza and throwing the rest away, if you're more comfortable with that analogy) What was I thinking?..

Just because a game is made to be played in a specific way, doesn’t mean it’s the right way. Sometimes your way is the best way, and it shows the design flaws in the game.

Take money in RPGs.

My hoarding through the main campaign of the original “Neverwinter Nights” amassed 2 million weightless gold coins which I dragged around everywhere. This made all money based problems just boring. Funny enough, the D&D rules state that 50 coins should weigh 1 lb.

Later I played “Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall”, where gold had actual weight and 50 000 gold coins would take half your inventory mass. This made town banks vital to the adventure and buying a 2 million gold house in town was nearly impossible.

Elder Scrolls 3 and 4 did not have weighted gold, and I ended up carrying so much that the highwaymen demand for 100 coins to pass felt like begging or petty road tax. This was not suppose to happen, but it did.

Finally, in “Fallout New Vegas” I said “enough to this game breaking fortune” and added the weighted money mod. This made the game more challenging in fun way.

No, there is no way to play the game wrong if you are playing by the rules – the game is just flawed that way. Yes, you can set up rules like “No zergling rushing”, but if you get board again, its not you playing the game wrong, it’s the game being <insert censored words here>. And these memes exist for that reason:

Commit-a-Crime.jpg

1206166479990.jpg

tumblr_lvbde8LLCB1qbdv9f.gif?1322697951

Steal_4ea748_2942255.jpg

75179.jpg

Edited by SX255

You know, Gilberticus, it is quite possible that the reason you're enjoying D3 now is not that you were playing the game in a really wrong way before. Truth is that Diablo 3 actually noticeably changed during all that time that passed since its release. There were several patches that altered mechanics to some extent. In fact it feels like the more time passes, the more D3 strays away from its original design and a bit closer to what Diablo 2 was, to what fans want to see. It is quite possible that when you played it the first week after release you thought that it was boring because... welll, it was boring. I know more than a few ARPG fans who thought the first versions of D3 to be a boring failure, the ones from around last summer to be OK and the latest ones actually quite enjoyable. Maybe it just so happens that you are one of the people who feels that D3 changed for the better.

• Like! 1

Some of D3's achievements are worth trying as they push you to do some amount of grinding and exploring. It's interesting but also a tiny bit frustrating how many times you might grind an area before finding a certain event or unique enemy.

And as others have said, they've really changed up some of the mechanics over a long string of patches.

• 3 weeks later...

Gilberticus, I suffer from your affliction also...playing and concentrating on more than one game gets me bored with all of them. Best to play one main and stick with it. ;)

Now that the Auction House has finally been removed I returned to D3 recently. The game has improved greatly with the Loot 2.0 patch. I am really enjoying the game, enough that I went out and purchased the expansion. I can see I will be playing this game for a long time again.

And as a topping on the Diablo III ice cream...Aussies now have their own servers! No more 300+mbps any more. Today I was enjoying 40mbps....usually an unheard of speed for online games for us.

Hardcore is now a viable option......now the only thing that is slow is me :blush2:

Edited by stubbie
  • Like! 1

started again playing D3- release RoS was awesome, stacked 10 pools of reflection and waited in a game to kill Diablo

0:02 joined act 5 t1

3:50 ding level 70

4:00 killed mathael master

->no dc's or login problems! but some bad lags (was a good idea to made a sc-witchdoctor last week....)

adventure mode is a lot fo fun! after 12 h I got my best drop so far=> Mask of jeram(91% pet damage and a socket) for my fetish build :sun:

Edited by Chrona

Hvae been seeing some clan in game in the new act five

probably gonna bite that money bullet today and get the add on

gulp

mooooooooooore ...addiction...!!

:oooo:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here. I played the hell out of D1 and DII but was extremely disappointed with D3. Came back to play with the most recent patch and found the game I loved was BACK!

gogo has been very helpful clearing maps for me while I loot and xp leach. Thanks bud!

Edited by kriv
  • Like! 1