[Multiplayer-Shooter] DayZ - something different

Just a head's up, K3nst3's stream from yesterday was hilarious, check it out. Skip through the running bits and the first hour.

A new update has been released:

Version: 0.42.116181

Known Issues:
Physics: Item throwing physics is currently disabled
Melee: Cannot conduct melee attack from "lowered" melee stance (press space to chance stance to "raised")
Potential Network issues - we will be monitoring the situation, as this appears to be resolved

New:
Actions: Vomiting have associated sound effects
Actions: Ballistic helmet variants can be painted to black and green color with spraycan
Actions: Can check pulse on unconscious players
Actions: Searching for berries will now add berries to your inventory
Actions: Eat All now supported for consumables
Actions: You can catch rain into canteen and water-bottle from inventory
Animations: New Ruger 10/22 reload animations
Animations: New Ruger MKII Reload animations.
Animations: Player now can sit with gun/weapon
Animations: Completely new two-handed melee animations. New right-handed poses, moves and attacks for axes, baseball bat, pipewrench, crowbar, fire extinguisher, shovel, farming hoe. "Low" and "Aim" stances introduced for stand, crouch and prone.
Crafting: SKS painting recipe
Crafting: You can paint firefighter axe black and green
Crafting: Blaze 95 painting recipe
Environment: New rock textures
Food: Sambucus berry item added
Food: Canina berry item added
Gear: added black and UN ballistic helmet variants
Gear: Sickle added into loot spawns
Gear: 1911 engraved version configure added to loot spawns
Gear: Can opener can be used as melee weapon
Gear: Box of 10 bucks shots added configured and added to loot spawns
Gear: Wool Coat red/black/brown/blue/green/grey/check variants added
Gear: Green and black variant of SKS
Gear: Green and black variant of firefighter axe added
Gear: Flat Cap red/black/brown/blue/green/grey/check variants added
Gear: Rabbit leg, boar steak and chicken breasts added
Gear: Fresh and rotten tomato configured and spawning on the server
Gear: Fresh and rotten potato configured and spawning on the server
Gear: Fresh and rotten Green Bell Pepper configured and spawning on the server
Gear: Canned Peaches configured and spawning on the server
Gear: Tactical bacon configured and spawning on the server
Gear: Hard headgear (ballistic, moto, construction and pilot helmets) cannot be wear together with masks
Gear: Sporter 22, CR75, Amphibia S, 1911 and respective magazines and ammo (22LR and 9mm) added to spawns
Gear: Wool Coats and Flat Caps added to spawns
Gear: Farming hoe configured and spawns
Gear: Long wooden ash stick
Gear: M4 attachment green variants added
Graphics: Adding lights to currently rendered scene changed
Graphics: Lighting from objects now is rendered during daytime also
Graphics: HDR improved and tweaked slightly to perform better with bright lights in scene (I.e. flashlights etc...)
Graphics: Engine supported point source light objects (e.g. Gaslamp) now working correctly
Map: Olsha has been updated
Map: Khelm has been updated
Map: New rock formations outside Svetlo have been created
Map: New Orthodox Chapel has been created
Map: Police Stations & Medical Centers have been placed across the map
Map: Village pub configured for spawning loot
Map: New villages surrounding Svetlo
Map: Chernaya Polana town + surroundings added
Map: Signs for "Chernaya Polana" added
Medical: Players can have a heart attack (declared as "irregular pulse" with pulse checking actions)
Weather: Rain, Clouds, Wind, calculated on server and distributed to clients
Weather: Rain now causes items and player to become wet
Zombies: Simple respawn mechanic implemented for zombies, pending more robust method
Fixed:
Actions: Added 'inUseItem' back to action on target function
Actions: Proper nutritional value will be added when eating near empty food
Actions: Berry picking script messages to player improved.
Actions: Removed duplicate option for crafting splint in action menu
Actions: Fixed force drink message for action with waterbottle
Actions: Eat all rice animation length modified
Actions: Force feeding action now depletes right amount of food/drinks
Actions: Water Bottle stays in hands after force drinking
Actions: Eating cereals won't leave you with 0% box in your inventory anymore
Actions: Fluids deplete properly after force drinking action
Actions: Removed force feed action for disinfectant and alcohol tincture
Actions: Crafting splint from bandages now uses whole disposable bandage and half of dressing bandage
Actions: Ruined rags/bandages and wooden sticks doesn't produce infinite splints
Actions: Clicking on Eat All action if amount of food is below 1/4 will result in playing only short eating animation
Actions: Edited player messages in force drink action and fixing broken limbs
Actions: Force feed/drink doesn't use whole quantity of some food/drink items also canteen is not destroyed after action
Actions: Player message for drinking from well
Animations: Bandage and eating pills animation glitch fixed.
Animations: Holding animations of various weapon magazines correctly linked
Animations: Player can now be properly knocked out while in water.
Animations: New M4A1 reload animations.
Animations: Various glitches when moving / changing stances fixed.
Animations: Rolling left/right while zoomed in sights makes player zoom out for the duration of the roll.
Animations: Evade animations in prone (Q and E) are faster now.
Audio: Subsonic projectiles no longer emit supersonic crack
Balance: Buffed damage of 762x39, 9mm, .22LR. Slightly nerfed shotgun pellets
Gear: Added color variants of ballistic helmets into loot spawns
Gear: Purification tablets package contains ten tablets now. Cholera removing functionality added.
Gear: Painted SKS chambering
Gear: Even lower chance of backpacks spawning on construction sites
Gear: Changed inventory view of pitchfork
Gear: Removed quantity value from burlap sack tooltip
Gear: Display name for t-shirts with stripes
Graphics: SSAO in options saved
Graphics: Rain effect settings changed
Graphics: Rain geometry optimized (28 bytes vs 12 bytes per vertex)
Graphics: Spot light culling fixed
Graphics: Fix of terrain intersections
Graphics: Fix of geometry trace for flares
Graphics: Rain now does not fall inside buildings for those on Lower/Disabled shadow settings
Login: Failure during new character creation could cause player to get stuck as unconscious
Map: Optimizations for Svetlo performance
Map: Forests surrounding Svetlo bugfixes
Medical: Would never actually die from zero health or blood due to medical conditions
Medical: Epi-pens will now wake anyone (briefly) from unconsciousness even if blood very low
Medical: Defibrillator used for restarting the heart of players who have a heart attack
Medical: Unconsciousness had irregular and unpredictable behavior (epi-pens will now always wake an unconscious player, unless they are having a heart attack)
Medical: Melee damage application system changed to better balance
Medical: Chance of bleeding from fists reduced significantly
Medical: Arm and leg ache messages fixed
Medical: Disconnected players avatars did not take shock or blood damage
Medical: Falling from height while sprinting did not kill player when it should have
Medical: Player could vault with broken legs
Network: Dropped items appeared only after a delay (now instant)
Network: Inventory items causing desync due to non-guaranteed update spam (hotfix currently until guaranteed message change is complete)
Network: Optimizations to network messaging updates should result in reduced bandwidth and some increases in FPS for clients/server
Structures: Changed inheritance of barrier structures (due to errors in logs)
Structures: Item disappearing when dropped from inventory on stairs or near walls
Weapons: Long-range scope reticle properly centered
Zombies: Zombies aims mostly for chest area now when attacking (stops the "helmet of armor" change)

Mannnn what a laggy night ! I glitched back into the buildings ... And then for a period of 5-10 minutes, no more connection with server, so I could not do anything and I lost my extra SKS eventually because I gave up and logged out.

After that I died twice, the first time I got knocked unconscious when someone snuck behind me and began to slap when I just spawned in-game after my unvoluntary exit. The player mugged everything, of course It was a fresh spawn too. What a lucky player, I was fully loaded. I was running around looking for bambis to give a starter kit: food, drinks and rags / bandages in those protector cases. Also had two axes in my backpack to hand out .
Still ran after my mugger after I regained consciousness but I received a swift swing of my former fire axe to the head :+

And then it happened again, when bambi me was YOLO-bolting through Electro looking for something better to slap a zombie upside the head. I only had a wrench and that would not take the two chasing me down fast enough. I ran towards the fire station in the North and another player comes to my rescue. I thank him , then he whacks me with his axe as well saying I should stop! Wasn
't doing anything at all... Hope it was happy with my coat and a wrecked wrench...

Edited by Timotheus

Lol, whodathunk eating rotten food could make ya throw up? :) The sound effects I hope they implement is different/more realistic effects for shoes. For instance, I'm sneaking, wearing sneakers, and yet it sounds like I'm wearing cowboy boots and obnoxiously trying to stomp as loud as I possibly can. I also think rotten food should have a farting effect, not for a "huh huh huh, Jim, pull my finger, dude" type of deal, but for a slightly more realistic feel. Farts happen with rotten food, often at inconvenient times. On the way to meet Jenn's parents for the first time, I grabbed a piece of bologna out of the fridge. Jenn warned me it had gone bad, but it looked fine, smelled fine, even tasted fine, and I thought "Ya know, you wouldn't even want to know the types of things we have to eat in field survival, things that make slightly expired bologna look like a delicacy". Well, she was right. I got out of my chair to shake her dad's hand, and I farted so hard that it shook my teeth. And some of the food in the game looks far more rotten than the bologna a whopping single day past it's expiration that I ate.

Lol @ that!

Yeah the stomping is something I noticed as well around the woods... I did not know you could stomp around there that much!

Edited by Timotheus
  • 2 months later...

'ts been a while since I played, haven't checked out the new experimental build yet because I don't seem to be able to find a server for it. The constant KoS'ing ruins this game for me, I think I'm done with this game until something changes, big time. Or until I find a large crew to play with.

Current in-game name is HappyTreeFriend ;)

I gave up on that game for the time being. My laptop just can't handle games like this and Lichdom anymore, and I can't justify getting a new one atm. My in-game name's PervotheClown. I agree with your statement about the KoSing. At first, it was great fun, running around yelling "King of the hill, sunsa beaches!" But it gets old after a while. There are no friendlies any more. IRL, I don't see the human race breaking down during a zombie apocalypse to the point where every single person's just as bad if not worse than the zombies. Of course they all say "that's the point, this isn't real life." Fair enough, but then why make it look like real life? I thought that by now you'd have people at least splitting up into tribes, but that doesn't happen any more. But what you've got is a bunch of 12 year olds turning the game in to one big death match. I don't think that's what the game was intended to be like. Granted, I don't think the game was designed for us all to be sitting around a campfire holding hands and singing hippie songs, either. They're just ruining it, man, the games just turning into one big death match arena, there are already a crap-ton of those games. This was supposed to be different.

When I fix or upgrade this stinking Alienware, I'll come looking for you, Timo, maybe the 12 year olds will have gotten bored with the game by then and we can assemble at least some form of tribal systems. THAT is what I thought the game would be like; different zones being controlled by different tribes, like...crap, what's that movie I just saw on Netflix...... "Stakeland", or something like that

Edited by Gilberticus

Stakeland? *wanders off browsing the net...* :bounce:

EDIT: stinkin alienware? I wish I had one... :P I'm running this at the moment...

Edited by Timotheus

Dang it, it's NOT quite the movie I was thinking about. It's still semi-applicable; zombie apocalypse, surviving society has broken up into guarded city-states, not quite all of them can be trusted

• 3 months later...

Anyway, just dropping this bit of info, to help increase your FPS.

DAYZ STANDALONE CONFIGURATION FILE EDITING

Files are located in \\My Documents\Dayz\ folder, enjoy!

~dayz.cfg

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

These settings limit the number of frames your PC will render ahead.

~name.dayzprofile

sceneComplexity=150000;
shadowZDistance=100;
viewDistance=1500;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1500;

The important options limit the following (distances in meters):
~detail? <sceneComplexity>
~the distance at which shadows are rendered? <shadowZDistance>
~the distance at which objects are rendered in? <preferredObjectViewDistance>
~the discance you are able to see in-game? <viewDistance>

Please note:
The used settings are for a minimum-requirements system!

Edited by Timotheus
  • 1 month later...

Soooo I haven't been playing for a while now. I got an old system up and running with a dual-core amd and a 250gts, hoping to get better fps, actually performs worse than my laptop with a first gen i7 and a gt 425m. And whaddayaknow, both don't run it stellar :P

Yeah well, compare my system (AMD 2,6GHz dual core ; 4 GB DDR2 ; GTS 250 1GB) to the minimum specs:

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

The processor barely meets the minimum, ram is OK, graphicswise it's not that much better than the minimum. The GTS 250 will not perform a lot better than the 8800GT (which later on was re-released as the 9800GT, and the first series of GTS 250 is pretty much a rebrand of a 9800GTS).

As for the laptop, the low initial speed of the quadcore hinders the performance. And the GT 425M is not a stellar gpu.

As for now, I just watch other people play it since I feel I should not buy a new system just for this game.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd necro this thread. :) Anyone who's interested should keep their eyes out for the new patch to be released, currently 0.60 is in experimental phase but playing DayZ is night and day between 0.59 and 0.60. The way the game is rendered changes a lot which also lessens the strain on your system. Say hello to a ~50% increase in FPS.

Currently I'm running a i3 4160 (3.6GHz), 8GB RAM and a GTX750. Mediocre to low specs to be gaming with, but the new experimental patch means I can run this game on mostly medium settings and still have decent frames.

Btw, I have updated the first post just a littlte bit. Also fixed the trailer.

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1