Sacred 3 Gameplay in "Slow Motion"

Schot

I felt exactly the same thing when I watched it! I'm with you though, the pacing of the game looks really good. Sacred 2 felt quite slow compared to S1 and this seems to borrow from D3 which is much faster paced. I guess we'll see if it's just a D3 clone with the sacred brand and a Seraphim thrown in or not, but I'm getting a little more excited the more I see! Must remain calm though, don't wanna over hype it!

Outstanding job Schot. This is the most excited I've been about Sacred 3 yet. I feel like I actually watched some gameplay, unlike the "fast" trailer.

I don't mind the narrower, less open spaces so much. Titan Quest had them and it was still excellent. I don't recognize much in the way of enemies, except I think I see goblins. Altogether in terms of combat SFX this has to be the biggest, flashiest Sacred yet. Everything is spraying, flashing, sparkling, shining, splattering, all over the place.

Gameplay speed was a HUGE issue for me in Sacred 2 as well Dragon Brother. I'm so happy with the way Sacred 3 is looking in that regard. Yes, must remain calm. :oooo:

Hehe Gilberticus. I'll definitely be playing the Malakim right away! I'm betting he's the Battlemage I always dreamed of when I was playing Sacred Underworld. Building a Melee Battlemage was not an easy task. Nor very rewarding in Platinum/Niobium levels... I'm so hoping that he'll be primarily magic with a few melee abilities for a bit of a mix.

Cheers Flix! It's funny cause while watching the original gameplay video I'd be squinting my eyes and focusing as hard as I could while the gameplay was happening. I think they actually sped up the original gameplay video which was kinda inconvenient. Then whenever the theatrical animations played I'd kinda groan a bit. It left me thinking that somewhere in the video were goodies to be enjoyed but I couldn't visually get at them. Only after I slowed down the gameplay clips did I start to get excited about Sacred 3. I'm good with the space that I saw as well. And I'm loving the screen being full of effects. It's a big step up from Sacred 2.

Some things I really enjoyed from the gameplay:

Nice looking environment. Architecture seems nicely detailed.

Splatter animations! :D

Interactive Environmental. Falling rocks, shooting turrets

explosive combat arts like the Safiri jump attack

drop animation (the stars that fall from enemies during combat?)

Arcade style design of enemies

Cool looking bosses

The player(Khukuri) triggered environemt animation at 1:44 seconds

I know there's even more in there. I keep watching it over and over so I can really see everything in that new little world coming our way. :wow:

• Like! 1

I hope that you're right, Schot, and it would turn out that they sped up the gameplay for the fast theatrical trailer. Because when I finally saw your version and managed to figure what's going on... Well, while all of you are getting excited, I'm slowly becoming a nay-sayer. What I see is the following: very flashy animation for ordinary attacks, very narrow corridors (even Titan Quest and Torchlight had a bit more room width-wise) packed with enemies, only two or in some cases one combat art shown per character, for which the video was cut in a way as to show the various stages of execution and give impression of more variety than there actually is... If this would be packaged together with an incredible speed of the original trailer, we are getting a mindless straightforward beat-them-up where speed and lots of effects make it impossible to understand and control the battlefield and all you do is just click the monsters down as they come.

What we were shown:
1. Safiri - ordinary attacks with his big hammer and a jump Area of Effect CA on 0.07-0.18. He just repeats the jump at 1.33.
2. Ancarian - ordinary attacks animated as swinging a spear in an arc in front of her (it hits only one enemy at the time and not hard, thus it is just an ordinary attack) and an impaling thrust, which is probably a CA, or a finishing animation at 0.19 - 0.34.
3. Seraphim - attacks with the blade and a kill-all-around-you CA at 0.36-0.43. Also some magical CAs at 1.24-1.27.
4. Malakhim with his Area of Effect CA that hits enemies in a circle, and another one that hits a row in front of him.
5. Archer - shooting arrows at the nearby (too close for comfort, in my opinion) enemies and fall-from-the-sky CA that hits enemies with some purple shards (purple ice?) at 0.56-1.05. Repeat at 1.39.

Other than that we see animations of enemies (bosses?) displaying themselves before the fight and the fact that they can toss the player characters around with their CAs.

And is it just me, or the enviroment at 1.10-1.14 looks like an exact copy of Torchlight 2 dwarf levels?

I can understand your excitement with flashy, splattering attack and CA animations, but my experience with many games taught me that extreme effect galore is only cool and fun the first couple of hours of playing. At first you're curious as to which animations there are and try to see them all. Then, if effects are extremely multiple and omnipresent, if they stand in the way of noticing what's going on mechanics-wise, you start to get tired of them.

The more I look at S3, the less it reminds me of S1 and Sacred 2, and the more of Diablo 3. Previous Sacred games could have been likened to Diablo, but just in the same way as any rogue-like ARPG can. They had enough of special things to offer in terms of the world, the side quests, the mechanics that is much more complex than it seems from the first glance, the tactical opportunities that come from using various weapons and CA combination - all that made Sacred games different fron Diablo, and in opinion of quite a few players, better. Here I see something very close to being the exact copy of the least fortunate Diablo game, with many monsters, little room for maneuvers and limited attack/CA variety.

I'm sorry for being negative in the middle of your celebration, but I'm a bit concesned and sceptical about this game and so far the gameplay trailer did not make me feel better.

Edited by Silver_fox
  • Like! 1

Gameplay speed was a HUGE issue for me in Sacred 2 as well Dragon Brother. I'm so happy with the way Sacred 3 is looking in that regard. Yes, must remain calm. :oooo:

Hehe Gilberticus. I'll definitely be playing the Malakim right away! I'm betting he's the Battlemage I always dreamed of when I was playing Sacred Underworld. Building a Melee Battlemage was not an easy task. Nor very rewarding in Platinum/Niobium levels... I'm so hoping that he'll be primarily magic with a few melee abilities for a bit of a mix.

Cheers Flix! It's funny cause while watching the original gameplay video I'd be squinting my eyes and focusing as hard as I could while the gameplay was happening. I think they actually sped up the original gameplay video which was kinda inconvenient. Then whenever the theatrical animations played I'd kinda groan a bit. It left me thinking that somewhere in the video were goodies to be enjoyed but I couldn't visually get at them. Only after I slowed down the gameplay clips did I start to get excited about Sacred 3. I'm good with the space that I saw as well. And I'm loving the screen being full of effects. It's a big step up from Sacred 2.

Some things I really enjoyed from the gameplay:

Nice looking environment. Architecture seems nicely detailed.

Splatter animations! :D

Interactive Environmental. Falling rocks, shooting turrets

explosive combat arts like the Safiri jump attack

drop animation (the stars that fall from enemies during combat?)

Arcade style design of enemies

Cool looking bosses

The player(Khukuri) triggered environemt animation at 1:44 seconds

I know there's even more in there. I keep watching it over and over so I can really see everything in that new little world coming our way. :wow:

Wow!

Schot, I heard you tinkering away in the elf workroom, but didnt think your work on pulling out the best parts of the trailer would come out this good.

You brought a fair spot light to the features of what they have to show us, and have high lighted some of what is probably going to be goodies for us fans.

In all honesty, I wasn't as hot for this last trailer as the first one, but you've put the faith back in me grin, and after a few viewings, the heart is there.

I hope Deep Silver has a chance to see this, what fans are doing to show care for the game.

:)

gogo

I had just started playing Sacred 2 again a few days ago after about an 18 month hiatus/League of Legends binge and I come back here now and see that Sacred 3 is actually on it's way to the store shelves soon - wow! But then I read a few big things about Sacred 3 game play that worry me (as well as many other fans of the series):

1. No loot

2. No open world

3. Each character class can only use one type of weapon

These are core components of what made Sacred so special and unique and why I still dust off my PS3 every now and then to play it. I totally agree with what podgie_bear said "Special effects do not make a game good, they usually seem to be added to hide the inadequacies in the game and in the case of that video they just hide whether the game looks interesting to play or not." This sort of reminds me of what happened with the Final Fantasy Series when FFXIII came out (the first FF developed for PS3)- the graphics were amazing, but the actual gameplay and linear world were terrible compared to its predecessors. It's still the only FF that I have not even bothered to play through a second time.

If I don't read some really good feedback here after S3 comes out, I will skip it and instead purchase Ice and Blood for PC (I still only play Fallen Angel on PS3) - I will get a fresh "Sacred experience" one way or another!

Before I leave, here's a meme for my fellow Sacred fans:

http://memegenerator.net/instance/47714462

Edited by rhs408
  • Like! 1