Sacred 3 or Ascaron UnSacred ?

Johnny73

Hello guys I'm new in the forum but I have always followed, I am a big fan of Sacred. A few days ago on the net and on Facebook I found a link in which programmers Sacred 1-2 talk about the game's sequel "Unsacred". But what are they talking about? Do you know anything? I do not think it's a joke because the director gives an interview and explains how this sacred3 is not his game. I do not understand, what is the true sequel to Sacred, this new S3 without OpenW or the new project of former Ascaron programmers "UnSacred - Back into the ashes" with Open world ?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/872653/page/1

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23911

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/unsacred/artikel/unsacred,50834,3034335.html

Welcome aboard!

Like Tornado said, Sacred 3 is the official sequel. It sounds like it is going to have a slightly different spin than its predecessors. Only time will tell how well that sits with the fans. Unsacred is unofficial, but they seem to want to stay closer to the first two games. It is an independent production though, so it might turn out to be vaporware.

It's wa-ay to early to tell which of these games has better chances of being the true Sacred sequel. Maybe both... maybe neither. We have too little information to judge - only vague trailers for Sacred 3 and only concept information for Unsacred. We can already tell that these games would be different from each other, with Sacred 3 emphasizing modern graphics and co-op playstyle and Unsacred focused on open world and exploration. But we don't yet know what exactly the gameplay and mechanics would be like for either of them. Time will tell...

• Like! 1

Based upon the scarse information we have now, I think that Sacred 3 is more the successor of Sacred 2, while Unsacred is more the successor of Sacred 1.

However, since only time can tell, I just follow both games. :)

Thorin :)

Well, Unsacred generated 4,680 euro so far. A tad concerning. Out of 25,000 its only 18%.

And they are not very responsive if you post questions on their forum in English...

• Like! 1

There are threads discussing Sacred 3, can I weigh in on that here?

Let me say, for the record, as a matter of fact, with all due respect, Sacred 3 bears no relation to Sacred other than use of some proper nouns to describe the characters. They should have called the game something else and kept Sacred on the backburner. "Buff Feudal Universe" would be a good title for the game pics I've seen so far. But 'Big Fat Muscles" might be good too, or "I always buy my clothes too small" ... in a quirk of fate, Sacred 3 actually should be the game called Un-Sacred. That it is; Un. Unlike Sacred.

A spokesperson from the new licensee actually said that since most people played Sacred 2 online, there is less reason for a open world or extensive variation to character building or vast side quests. That's embarressing. You pick from a few tools before each quest and go forth. There is nowhere else to go but on the linear track provided- a railroad track. Just slug your way foreward, you'll get there. As you'll be doing this in the company of others, that makes it Sacred? And you can't even fill your livingroom with friends and play together- from what I last read each account will have one player. So unless you all bring your Xboxes or computers into the room, you stay at home.

It's Sacred because it has a S in the name and a A and a C and a R and a E and a D; what does that spell?

The thoughtfullness of the game will be in the complex choice of a club, knife, bow or axe before each quest. The characters look as if they've ingested steroids and compete in their spare time in body building contests.....those are actually very big in primitive semi feudal alternative universes which use magic and have dragons and beasts running about. Steroid use is a big problem for Dwarfs too, probably killed most of them off. Oops, that was a secret from sacred 3.

Most of you are much kinder than I. I won't be buying this unless you rave about it here after release. As I already own a collection of comic books, I won't likely buy more just because they are animated on a screen and share a couple names from a game franchise that I love. when it hits the bargain bin at Walmart for five bucks I might, might get it; but for five bucks you can get a old CD of Willy Nelson or the Doors or even the traveling Wilburies, for five bucks you can get a collection from Patsy Cline or Hank Williams or a....Big Mac. A lego or mega bloks building kit, two mini figures, a small flash light, a cheap knife from China, oh, or a couple of real Comic Books. Or you could keep the five dollars in your pocket and save it for the day a game arrives worth playing, perhaps even a game that is like Sacred. five bucks could be sent to the people trying to make a new Sacred.....the one called Un, that actually might be.

Out of respect for you, and those who want to hope, I won't be blasting away at the new game to be released this summer. Let each find their path and live their lives. In a real Sacred game, there would be room for that.

Edited by munk
  • Like! 1

I no longer trust official reviews from published gaming sources. Games they call greatest of all time are not for me, and games they sniff at are often wonderful. They didn't like Sacred 2

Do observations that Sacred 3 has no open world, no extensive character building, and no numerous and varied side quests qualify as knee jerk? These are not projections- the owners so say. I knew that knee was giving me trouble.

But I don't trust gaming opinions either. In the end, if a game makes you happy, it's a good game- for you.

Edited by munk

What? "Do observations that Sacred 3 has no open world, no extensive character building, and no numerous and varied side quests qualify as knee jerk?" Lol, Munk, did you think I was saying you were giving a knee-jerk response? No, boss, I was responding to "Sacred 3 or Unsacred". For me to say yea or nay to either game would be a knee jerk reaction, as I haven't seen enough of either game. I totally understand why you'd think that, though, as I posted right after you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Not to worry, like I said, one of my knees is always bothering me. I've been reading this forum for so many years without ever signing up or posting, that there's all this built up Sacred stuff inside that wants to come out. I just jumped the gun.

Incidentally, I also put a 'like' on your post right after I posted, because you contemplated, 'can't talk now, eating', I thought that was damned funny. that's a sig line.

If you guys and gals decide upon its release that you like Sacred 3, I respect you enough that I would seriously consider getting it. Can't say that for any of the official game places and reviewers, just here. I'm sure you can understand my feelings in the absence of a open world, and all the other missing things. Last thing I'm gonna do is piff and moan about it ad infinitum- bring others down- I don't wish to beat the drum, and like everyone here, have wanted something Sacred and something new for a very long time.

You're right, of course, it is a academic diversion ala thread topic to ask right now if either of these products, one promised to be released and one not even made, qualify for 'Sacred". You're a standup guy for posting back to me, Gilberticus.

Edited by munk
  • Like! 1

If sacred 3 proves to be the same as Dungeon Siege 3 then it will be a total disaster, as I think it will happen.

About unsacred (I have to give some of my thoughts on this) I think its the biggest scam I ever seen and to prove it heres what I think:

The fact it started like few months before the release of sacred 3 , (coincidence ? I dont think so ) .

A poor made website in joomla . Having real devs you would think it should look better.

The fact they only need 25000$ , you would think this kind of games requires at least 1 milion $ or more (Maybe they have the rest of the money XD but I doubt that)

I havent seen any proof that the devs behind sacred 2 are in the team right now.

Also theres no info on their company , even if it was just created there should be some info about it over the internet.

And also the fact that theres no english in that website at all, you would think someone that is a developer would know english as they cannot do any coding.

And I think this is just another easy way to earn 25.000 $ for free.

That about it , these are all my thoughts regarding unsacred , with the coming sacred 3 they wouldn't stand a chance in having big sales.

"The statements above are my personal thoughts and shouldn't be treated as something real "

Edited by AngelShade

>"...you would think this kind of games requires at least 1 milion $ or more..."

That statement is only true for the games made and released by big publishers. Please, don't be offended, but it sounds like you never really had any interest in indie games before. One big difference about them is that they never have giant budgets. Because indie games are usually developed by small teams of enthusiasts and never have top-notch graphics nor expensive modern graphical engines. Indie devs don't have to pay salaries and insurances to some few hundreds people, do not have to buy the latest graphical engines and do not have to hire professional animation studios to do the motion-capture animations for them. That is why indie games don't need billions to be done. That is also why they never have fancy graphics, but it's not graphics that makes the game interesting to play.

In fact, 25000$ does not sound completely unrealistic for the indie scene. It's not much, but it's at least possible to reach.

From what I remember, the most well-known vaporware scums that happened with kickstarted games always had well-made sites and good publicity before disappearing with the money. Those people never had intention of doing a thing besides a website, so of course they poured all energy into the look. Mediocre web-design for Unsacred site may be a sign that its few devs work on the game and not the outward appearance.

I might be overly optimistic, but I still wanted to point out that these signs do not necessary indicate a scum.

Edited by Silver_fox

It's not just Spock who'd vouch for them. There are several members at this forum who would, including me.

I've seen several of the old German Sacred Community appear at the forum of Unsacred and among those are a few members who've been "Ascaronies" for ages. And among those there are a few I know being beta-testers of games made by Gaming Minds; which is the "Ascaron-part" of Kalypso Media.

So; all in all, if this is a scam, it's one of the most complicated ones I've ever seen, having people using different languages, living in different countries and in different timezones.

Nope, this one is a certainty. :D

Thorin :)

• Like! 1

I'm a bit bias about that all!

First at Unsacred the promised a big up-date for this Friday only to find the homepage not accessable. Today, Saturday, then I need to find out via the old official forum that everything has changed although nothing, except for the name, has changed. Now the game is called "unbended" and the "new" homepage can befound, for those who are still interested in it, via this link

At least there is now already a link for a English version, although not yet anything up there.

So far neither Sacred III nor Unbended do leave a good tast in my mouth but maybe it is the same with old wine!? Maybe it just needs time and some careful observation till the full tast can flourish!?

I would urge forebearence about unsacred or unbended et al. When a business starts, it is often shaky and has not yet connected all the dots. I've been on the groundfloor with new business and from external perspective or reviews could be made to look like fraud, but in actuality, there are so many things going on there is not time or the resources to yet fulfill expectations and requirements - even legal requirements. Established businesses often, 'rob Peter to pay Paul" or shuffle resources to fufill obligations, or delay some thresholds to meet others. They do this matter of factly and have lawyers who know the systems and play the game. The way independents begin today does look like fraud if you use a conventional business model. Asking for constributions is how they begin. Many will fail. Some will succeed. Grim Dawn looks to be coming along.

Don't examine the new shoots as if they were adult trees. I thought at least one of the developers is listed on the original game?

In a world filled with fraud, everyone and everything looks like fraud, or can easily be made to look bad. IF too much use of that word is used in connection to a new beginning, the game may fail. Word of mouth is a two edged sword; Search engines wont know what is real- keep saying 'Fraud" about this attempt and it will become linked to the game they are trying to build. I can appreciate the caution, and warning for friends and associates one does not wish to see harmed, but so far there is no sign of deception. This thing just started. Their website isn't built yet and can't provide the features we've all grown accustomed to, that means fraud? That's waaaaaay premature. Does anyone remember what happened to Big Giant Games when a govenor of a state in America badmouthed their business on TV? The donors fled and the new company failed. We might have had a whole series of Reckoning...

Indie productions are the hope of the future for the gaming industry; because the big corporations have settled back and are giving a complacent buying public the equivalent of Hollywood action thrillers, over and over. If new life or new horizons are going to arrive in this marketplace, it's going to be independents who break through. And they don't have bucks, lawyers, tax experts or multiple personnel to do the job. Elder Scrolls started as a computer game by a small group of people who believed in what they were doing. Too bad not all those people are still there....

I'm going to contribute to this Un-- in the near future if things go as I think they will. In this world, where we only go around once, putting your money where your mouth is, where your DREAM is, expresses my life beautifully. Rarely do I have a chance to vote for a dream or idea I believe in. This is groundfloor dreammaking. Will I support a game that bucks the industry cut and paste productions? You bet I will. In the US there is Kickstarter, in Europe there is another aparatus similar for a new game to collect funds to build the game. I need to examine the contribution structure, however it is being handled, and when I'm satisfied, I'll back them.

• Like! 1

I'm quite excited by Unbended more so than Sacred 3, although not the name. I would try and find a better name before going any further with development. :lol:

There is an interview with Franz Stradal here: http://nichegamer.net/2014/04/unbended-interview-the-new-rpg-from-the-former-ascaron-devs/

I like the sound of the game but would need to know more before putting any money towards it. Maybe they should think about Kickstarter?

• Like! 1