Elite Mounts Project

• 2 weeks later...

Okey , the mounts are super awsome and dont get my wrong on what am I about to say but ,but doesnt the mounts purpose supose to make you move faster ? How come you get like a crappy increase of speed from them, I dont want to take Riding just to get a xx% of movement increase while on mount, but having that ammount of speed on the mount would make more sense, THEY ARE MOUNTS for crying out loud they should make you move faster, altough the increase in casting is +10% either negate or remove the Combat arts regeneration or make it -10% cus having fights on mounts is awsome XD. specialy if you are a caster.

But I beg all creators of mounts do please add a increased run speed % , it realy defeats the purpose of having a mount.

Edited by AngelShade

>"How come you get like a crappy increase of speed from them?"

Where are you even getting this from? Silver Fox said "The Dragons are very agile, so they fly fast and can evade attacks."

A run speed % bonus on the mount would do NOTHING since those bonuses only apply if you were on foot. Mount speed is set in creatureinfo.txt, and these new Elite Mounts are all as fast or faster than the normal mounts.

What I need to do is make a video and show you the High Elf soaring around on one of these dragons. ;)

I didnt want to create a tension on what I wrote, probably because my native language isn't english, but I do saw ingame mounts that had the most 6% increase in movespeed , would it be possible to add a more realistic faster way without having the Riding skill. Something along 25 or 30% increase. I was hoping for that to happen so I can hop on my awsome mount and go exploring without having to walk for days XD.

Oh and im sorry if that offended anyone in any way.

2epsn6v.jpg

Is this awsome dragon actualy flying , cus I see him in the air and all , theres no ground or ground glitch that could prove otherwise.

Edited by AngelShade
  • Like! 1

>"But I beg all creators of mounts do please add a increased run speed %"

Like Flix said, adding this bonus to mount's bonuslist would have no effect, because it's run speed bonus - it increases the movement speed on foot. More to come, it's one of the bonuses that don't work correctly on mounts (even if you try to add them, they don't appear in the tooltip). However the new mounts are faster than the old ones, even without Riding. The speed change was made in the creature description. To give you the numbers, High Elf's speed on foot is 160 digits, Fay Drake's is 230, Dragon's is 250. There is no creature in this game that is faster than the Dragon Mount. Making them even faster is possible, but is not an incredibly good idea, because Riding increases mounts' speed by percentage. The Dragons are already fast without Riding, if we make them even faster, with Riding they might become uncomfortably fast.

>"...these new Elite Mounts are all as fast or faster than the normal mounts..."

Except that I slowed down the Shadow Warrior's armored means of transportation. This beast looks so heavy, I can't imagine it running as fast as the Dragon flies. Still, it's speed is not bad (better than vanilla tiger).

>"...Is this awsome dragon actualy flying..."

The Dragons do fly, because that's how they are animated. Sadly, the game does not have a definition of flying. All it has is running and walking. All creatures who look like they fly, actually are considered running at that moment. It means that even though they fly, but they still can not cross a river without using a bridge and can not fly above walls. Putting it simple, the Dragon Mount flies the same way as Dragon Mage's Dragon Form. It's impossible to make it otherwise.

• Like! 1

Usualy devs are using a no colision "mechanic" (I have no ideea how to name that process.) in a game to test stuff, and maybe, but maybe its still there, if you could find it then flying in this game can become more then just a dream XD.

Edited by AngelShade

It feels more like flying than you'd imagine. And you can always increase the speed in creatureinfo.txt if you really want to. I'll try to get a video up today, but my upload speed is ungodly slow.

Ideally we'd have some way to add something like the Dragon Form's Jump CA while mounted (but it's not possible). Then the illusion of flying would be complete.

• Like! 1

>"...Ideally we'd have some way to add something like the Dragon Form's Jump CA while mounted..."

The only way something like this can be done is by replacing one of the CA slots while mounted, like the horse CAs do. It might be possible, but I don't see a reason to do it. The Dragon is HE's mount, and adding a jump CA to it would create just a differently animated version of Shadow Step. Is there a reason to bother so much with the creature scripts to mod in a mount CA that won't be much different from the rider's one?

Well, no. Which is why I just mentioned it here rather than PM'ing you about it as something we needed to start planning for the mod.

The point of the idea was about how one could maintain the illusion of flying, which Shadow Step does not do. People don't know this yet, but even though the Dragon flies, when you stop to use a combat art, it lands on the ground. Sacred 2 did not maintain the awesomeness of Sacred 1 where you could launch attacks while still riding in motion. So the Dragon would land when the High Elf used Shadow Step, then teleport to the target. Whereas the Jump, with its flying animation, is a good bit more seamless in the transition. Also Shadow Step has a Cooldown and all kind of benefits through modifications. Jump could be given no Cooldown and a low regen time, but nothing else, just an always-ready utility CA.

Edited by Flix

>"...Well, no. Which is why I just mentioned it here..."

Ok, I'll put it more clear: It is possible to allow a Dragon's to have its own CAs if we make it a horse-type mount. But who would want it after that? Even if it was possible to replace only one slot with Dragon's CA, I'm still not sure that many people would have liked it, and not preferred to keep all slots for themselves.

>"...The point of the idea was about how one could maintain the illusion of flying..."

Well, I understood it. The point of what I said was that making a jump-looking CA requires qute a bit of effort and results in a mere illusion of flying, which can be seen on videos but in game does not feel like it, because you know that you have to use a CA to cross a river, not just fly over it. And this illusion is just visual, it adds no new mechanics because HE already has a teleport CA, it's just differently animated.

>"...even though the Dragon flies, when you stop to use a combat art, it lands on the ground..."

As opposed to DM's Dragon Form that never lands. The CA execution animations are always started from idle state. For DM idle is animated like hovering and flapiing wings, for the mount it's a grounded state. So even if the mount gets jump-like animation, it won't be seamless - it would land, than take flight for a distance and land on the opposite side, before taking flight again for the running state. We can get a seamlessly flying look for the mount by changing the idle animation, but then the process of mounting the flying dragon would look quite awkward.

>"It is possible to allow a Dragon's to have its own CAs if we make it a horse-type mount."

This is why I said it wasn't possible to begin with. We can't conjure up a brand new CA to add to all the existing ones- there's no where to put it. No one wants their CA slots replaced with others, which is why no one rides horses in Sacred 2.

>"The point of what I said was that making a jump-looking CA requires qute a bit of effort and results in a mere illusion of flying..."

Well, then it's a good thing no one is suggesting that we actually do that work, isn't it? ;)

How did the devs moved through the game with no collision? I suppose those mechanics should still be there. Maybe add one of the mechanics that the devs were using to the mount ? If its possible ofcourse.