An Interview with Sacred 3 devs

Silver_fox

A gaming portal called Gamingbolt posted an interview with Deep Silver creative producer Sebastian Reichert where he talks about upcoming Sacred 3. It's titled "Simplifying the Classic RPG for Action’s Sake" and... well, the title sums it up. From the sound of it, S3 would lack quite af few features of its predecessors. Though they still plan to focus on Combat Arts out of which "You select a few to take along for a quest". I wonder what it means - Diablo 3 approach to CAs or something more?

Full Interview can be found here: Sacred 3 Interview: Simplifying the Classic RPG for Action’s Sake

Edited by Silver_fox

"What are you doing to ensure a bug-free game?"

"We are fixing the bugs."

"Is there a reason you're skipping next-gen consoles?"

"No."

And so on...

Geez. Poorly worded questions get poor answers I suppose, but this interview told me almost nothing.

Thanks for this tidbit anyway.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

This interview told me nothing new either. It's quite curious to see how Deep Silver behaves in regards of Sacred 3 - they try to keep the title in the news without actually telling a thing about it. Gameplay trailer that shows only very few snippets of gameplay, and even those are seen clearly only in slow-motion. An interview with publishers that goes on and on but brings almost nothing we never heard before... As if they are scared of telling more about their game, or just not excited about it. I just remember reading an interview about Unbended a few days ago - there is not much to tell about this project yet, but still the devs are willing to talk about some details and plans. And here we have an almost finished project all important facts about which are kept dark. Is it deliberate?

"The design has become a little bit more cartoonish, but as we continue to focus on the rich lore of Ancaria, we will also present comic style cutscenes at the introduction for each Main Quest."

We will just have to wait and see just how much of lore they stay true to. And comic style cutscenes might be interesting to watch.

• Like! 1

Cut scenes featuring lore do not make a Sacred game, if there is a deficit of lore and historical context in the game experience. I don't want that kind of lore, if that's lore. The initial reviews on the game mentioned there was very little reference to older Sacred games. I wonder if cutscenes are hastily assembled er...bandages placed on the game to stop percieved bleeding? It must be Sacred; the 30 second short on the screen says so. Maybe they can show pictures of an open world too....and diagrams of character development not available in game, to invite the belief we are developing our characters. It would take a book to portray what is missing from Sacred 3 at that rate.

....I always wanted one of those Volkswagon campers....my 62 Van was broadsided by a semitruck, with me inside, and it never rode again. Those camper vans were the Holy Grail, they even had.....a handful more horsepower! sigh.

Edited by munk
  • Like! 1

That's funny, Podgie, I too thought "Streets of Rage" when I first learned of Sacred 3. I loved the heck out of that game the first came out. I don't think I want to return to 1991 when it comes to video game gameplay, though.

Do you think this game will be more like Champions of Norrath? Those couple games had fairly linear maps, but they were big and had you going around to many places before you would progress to a new area.

It also had very simple character customization aside from what loot to equip. Simply choose which of the 5 basic attributes to drop some points into and then decide which tech tree points to use for your next skill.

I hope that's what they mean by simplified. Honestly, I didn't think Sacred 2 was that complicated to begin with. It just had more than simply pouring points into stamina. Certainly, to be considered an ARPG it has to have some experience point allocation, otherwise it is just high fantasy Streets of Rage and you certainly didn't "level up armor", as the devs called it in the interview, in streets of rage. (Although you didn't really level up armor in Sacred 2 either - you found newer and better armor.)

I understand the chagrined response to perceptions of anything less of an improvement to, and an enhancement of, an already mighty Sacred franchise. Perhaps that's why I believe that Bill Gates may be an alien. Who else would change an OS which we grow to appreciate and understand and every other year and jam a new one down our throats, whether or not it works well or even runs programs that are important to us, particularly games like Sacred 2? Perhaps this is a good reason why many are leaving Windows by the back door and selecting Mac. In the same manner, if Sacred 3 is a letdown to fans of things Sacred they, the gamers holding the money, will find other gaming venues. Perhaps I will be compelled to check out Skyrim after all. However, I will reserve judgment until I have enough information to do so. Even with the Sacred 2 Gold edition there is unused real estate for additional land development and the story could continue as hinted to in the ending lines, "that is a different story." Why would not Deep Silver survey they who play the game now in order to find out what is liked and what is not, so as to better determine how to proceed? Who knows, for even the film industry stumbles into a good movie now and again. Making a thing fun and entertaining is perhaps a bit less complex than may be thought to be by so many in the industry of doing so.

• Like! 1

I would be happy just knowing what game already in existence will be most similar to Sacred 3. It doesn't sound like it will be like Sacred 2, that's for sure. The easiest question in the interview asked what customization will be offered to the player and the dev instead states that they have simplified the rpg - you can upgrade armor and weapons and choose combat arts.

So basically, it will be like every other game where you upgrade weapons and choose skills? That really said a whole lot of nothing! You can do that in God of War!

Sacred 2 gave you access to all the combat arts if you read a rune for each one, but you had to choose which one's to focus on! Is that what they mean? Maybe they should have interviewed someone who coded the game instead of the producer? It gave the impression of someone who knew what they were talking about, but is terrible at explaining what is really special. And we still don't know what this game will really be like!

• Like! 1

There is this stance, being repeated and expressed in many different ways, (for over a year-since S3 facts became understood) which says we can't judge until we actually have Sacred 3 on the screen in front of us. This appears very reasonable, fair, and not being knee jerk . The idea, to wait and see, is valid in so many ways, it's hard to disagree.

If Betty Boop gained 400 pounds would we still want to see her in a brief slinky outfit singing her song-'I want to be loved by you, by you, and nobody else but you'? (in the cartoons..of course) It might be good for a laugh, and then she could put some clothes on, but most would no longer turn to her for entertainment if they'd paid to see Betty Boop. We could laugh at her for being an entirely different cartoon, but she would not be Betty Boop.

(We could add a horrible disfigurement from a car accident with Roger Rabbit driving that left half of her face removed. She can't walk because a leg is missing; so you won't be hiking and exploring the local park trails with her beside you. -Assuming you were a cartoon also, or were in a movie with cartoons... She can't dance, can't sing. They'll add the graphite blade soon, Warner Bros promises.... Oh, and she's now an idiot with an IQ of 62 because of brain damage from the accident- so there's no character to appreciate any longer, or chances to grow and experience variation in experience.. er uh...talk about a strained illustration.)

OK, crazy example- you don't know who Betty Boop is- try Mae West, or anyone. Jennifer Anniston? Tasteless examples, too crude; how about the comic book version of, As I Lay Dying done in 12 pages? Fear and Loathing without Las Vegas?

One could still say, we'll have to wait and see Betty Boop, or Mae West, Jennifer Anniston, or brouse all 12 pages of a Marvel adaptation of Faulkner- but there are some things you do not have to see first hand to know they've failed.

If S3 is a good game I'll believe those of you here who try it. But it won't be a good game in the Sacred series, it will be a good game with an ironic name, Sacred 3. No open world, no in-depth character development-that's not Sacred. It has about as much relationship to Sacred as John Lennon's tooth (now in private hands) does to musical genius. That is to say, not much, if any.

You can't remove fundemental features of a product, call it by the same name, and expect the same response from those who enjoyed the product before change. You shouldn't label it as the previous product.

What isn't fair is a company removing intrinsic features and then expecting you to be, 'fair'.

I want something Sacred to come along.