If this is realy and happens, I realy wish to see someone dressed as a seraphim XD. Im wondering if they are going to use any eye lents.

Edited by AngelShade
  • Like! 1

The grapevine was wrong, there is no Sacred Live Action Role Playing group in Ohio. In my native State, larping is a huge industry. It all started out with a couple guys in a backyard with sticks wrapped with foam and costumes cut from big potato sacks. These guys attracted more guys, who were sick of what rpg games were becoming, sick that once-grand adventure games that could last indefinitely have become games you can beat in one sitting. This attracted nature buffs, who weren't really gamers but loved being outside and physical activity. This attracted the peanut and hot pretzel vendor, who attracted the pizza vendor, and so on. Once they got enough guys, they got a writer to come in and make quests and stories. Eventually, the guys wanted a real marketplace. What rpg doesn't have some type of market? This is when the whole thing exploded, because a marketplace attracts real world goods of all nature: costume and latex workers selling better and better weapons and foam armor, real cooks, incense and perfume booths, jewelers, you name it. Real merchandise requires money, so they got someone to design coins for their realm, which attracted money exchangers. Money and real world goods sometimes attracts real thieves, so they got a few officers involved. All of this brings up insurance issues, so a law firm got involved. The realm then bought a ton of empty acres, and carpenters were called to build mock towns. People from all over the world got interested, so little food vendors turned into huge feasts. People wanted to wear real armor during banquets, so real blacksmiths got involved. BIG freaking business , man, for real.

What all this means to Ohioans? We have live action role playing groups here. LARP Ohio showed me all types of groups. Most of them are still in the beginning, "couple guys with homemade weapons and potato sack with tinfoil armor" stage. I'm telling ya, though, to the savvy entrepreneur, this is ripe, virgin territory, man. We have the interest, we have land, a lot of it has at least part forest coverage, especially in the Northeast. Strasburg has a lot of vacant, wooded land. If you have the desire, creativity, and starting money (along with a few connections) you could blow the industry up in this State. It doesn't even have to be medieval related, look at LARP Ohio, there's groups that embrace all types of genres. In fact, I see the potential to make larping bigger here than even in my home State, because Ohio has a larger amount of open areas

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, what got the 70some views is the Sacred 2 LARP part, not that I was looking for it in Ohio. However, if any of my fellow Ohioans saw this, I think I've discovered something. Live Action Role Play isn't as much of a trend here as where I'm originally from. In fact, when I hit the streets, very few people even knew what it was. I got answers like "a bird?", "a musical instrument?" "that slime stuff that makes fart sounds when you kneed it?", "when you laugh so hard that you burp?". I thought that last one was lurp, not larp. This leads me to believe that live action role playing is intentionally underground here. After all, in this day and age we have so many means in which to spread the word.

So, I think I'll leave the LARP groups alone. I've never live action role played, but I can break it down into an activity that a few of my Navy and Marine Corps friends used to do: paintball. It would have been one thing if we would have wanted recognition, but we didn't. It was a few friends drinking and shooting paint at each other. We would have been majorly ticked if some guy popped out of the woodwork and said "You guys and your battlefield you constructed here has caught major attention. So, we got you sponsorship with NxE, CP, specialopspaintball.com, MTV, Pizza Hut, Bud Light and Bam Margera. You have your own tv slot. Oh, and the best part: no more big hunky boombox, we got Metallica, Pantera, and Ted Nugent to play live for you." Now, the Ted Nugent and Pantera part might have been cool, maybe with David Gilmour. It might have been fun to shoot Metallica full of paint, too. But the rest of that junk would have destroyed our little weekend backyard activity. I'd imagine the Larpers in my area feel the same way. So, I got a whole bag of new ideas, but I'll plop those on the shelf for now. Oh, and for a final, random , out of the blue statement, a new Judas Priest album is in the works! It's called Redeemer of Souls, I think, coming out on my birthday, July 15. I heard a tiny bit of it, it's not bad, just a little slower than what I'm used to from them.

• Like! 1