At Long Last... A Slicing Scythe!

This item had always seemed like just a myth to me, something only to be seen in the unique items list on the Sacred wiki. After countless hours of game play over dozens of toons, not a single one had ever dropped for me. Finally I can confirm that this beast is not a myth! I was just finishing up the orc stage and was going to pass up the orc cave to save myself a few minutes... I talked to the sea captain to start the Seraphim island levels when I said "eh what the hell, I usually get at least one cool item from the orc caves". Cleared the cave, checked my inventory, and there it was right at the top, a level 38 Slicing Scythe!

Has anyone else had trouble finding this item? It seems to be one of the "rarer uniques" that hardly ever drops, same with Lorga's Sword and Zepetl's Short Sword (I've only found one each of these), compared to one's that I see quite often such as Torik's Wrath or Nengruil's Doombringer.

A great find. Looking at the scripts, the Slicing Scythe is a tier 14 item, which will make it a good bit more rare than most uniques (tier 13), but not nearly so rare as a Legendary item (tier 15). I'm not sure just how the item tiers are set up in the consoles (I don't think tier 15 exists), but that should explain the rarity, since it's present in all the correct drop lists.

Ah, that makes sense then as to why I've never had a legendary drop except for Enrico's Eternal Search... Is Enrico's a tier 14 legendary item? Do you happen to have this script available which shows the tiers of all items? :o

A lot of uniques are actually tier 14. In Ice and Blood at least, many can drop as Legendary or Unique, so that even though the stats are the same, the text will be a different color. I guess I could make a list of tier 14 items, though it's somewhat difficult to search through blueprint.txt for them, because the file is very long, the names are in German or unhelpful, and the item tier number is wedged into a string of other numbers.

It's a great reference list, Flix. Maybe it can be placed somewhere on the wiki where all players can find it, as it offers a clear explanation about the probability of finding different items - if the item is on the list, chances of finding it are smaller. How about posting it as a page linked from the general Items page or from Unique and Set databases.

Thanks much for the list Flix! I checked over the list and I would say that all of those are definitely very rare, except for Nengruil's Doombringer - is it possible you included that one by accident? I can say with 100% certainty that it is not anywhere near as rare as the other tier 14's, in all my Sacred playing days I've acquired at least 30 Nengruil's Doombringers (maybe even closer to 50!), compared to all of the others in that list in which I've only acquired 0-2 of each one.

On the console version, I've always theorized (but have yet to compile the data) that there's some added layer to the Unique drop rates (possibly unintentional, but linked to the character). I've seen Slicing Scythe a number of times, but I've yet to see a Quetzal's First Strike. I have a number of Serpent's Tongues in my storage chest (I've sold a few lower level ones also) and I've seen Kernforce's Cutlass, Flame Smiter, Lord Wayne's Player Killer, Excalibran and Dark Guardian a number of times also.
However, I know of those who've received multiple Quetzal's First Strike drops. In one case, the person played as Dryad, Inquisitor and Temple Guardian, whereas I play only Seraphim, Shadow Warrior and High Elf. They couldn't remember which character(s) received the drops though.

So, out of curiosity: Which characters do you play the most, and which character did you get the Slicing Scythe drop using?

You know, I had thought the same thing when I had played on my Xbox three or four years ago. I remember thinking "maybe that's bogus, maybe it only appears that certain characters find more goodies than others because those are the ones I lean towards anyway, I have more game time with them." So I'd play an hour per character. But it definitely seemed like the High Elf and Shadow Warrior had better drops for me. I only ever seemed to find character specific drops with the Inquisitor. The Seraphim only ever seemed to find swords. And the Temple Guardian never found anything for me

The Slicing Scythe dropped on Shadow Warrior. I had max points in EP as well - I think this has a great effect on what items drop and I likely wouldn't have gotten the Slicing Scythe if it was not maxed.

I've played all 6 characters quite a bit, High Elf probably the least followed by Temple Guardian. The other 4 I've played a ton.

I've only gotten one Quetzal's First Strike, same with Excalibran and Dark Guardian. Two Lord Wayne's Playerkillers, two Flame Smiters. Only one Ice Flash (was surprised this was not in the tier 14 list). Several Serpent Tongues.

Anyone ever had an Extremely Mighty Bat of Devastation drop? I haven't... Never seen Romuil's Tears either.

Hmmm. I've gotten Slicing Scythe with both Seraphims and Shadows Warriors. None of those characters have EP, and I know I've gotten at least 2 of them (there could be other cases which weren't memorable).

Only one character has found Excalibran for sure, and that's a Seraphim with EP. Dark Guardian, Lord Wayne and Flame Smiters were found with various characters. My last Ice Flash was found by (ironically) my Ice HE.

I think Extremely Might Bat of Devastation is Ice and Blood (at least, it's listed as an I&B drop).
I've sold a Romuil's Tears recently, but I can't remember which character it was found on.