Dryad vs Octamagalus

I have just returned to Sacred 2 Gold (PC) after a while away and decided to just delete most of my old characters and start again. I have a lvl27 Dryad up to Octamagalus and I do not remember him being this hard. I lead him onto the land and he does not do much damage to me, or very often, but I am having serious trouble doing damage to him. I have repeatedly brought him to half health only to have my attacks wiff non-stop for several minutes, giving him the luxury to regens most/all of his life without getting hit. I sat there holding both mouse buttons for about 30 minutes before I just gave up.

My Dryad is lvl27 with the usual blue mish-mash of gear for this early on. I have a couple of rings with `Opponents chance to evade -%' and a `Regen on hit' ring. Using a blowpipe modded for Fire damage.

Skills:

* Tactics Lore: 27.

* Combat Reflexes: 5.

* Ranged Weapons: 1.

* Armour Lore: 21.

* Nature Weaver Lore: 17.

* Concentration: 1.

* Capricious Hunter Focus: 1.

Combat Arts (all one rune):

* Darting Assault (not used against Octa): Reload, Throwback, Rotate.

* Ravaged Impact: Perforate, Breach.

* Forest Flight: unmodified.

* Sinister Predator: unmodified.

* Tangled Vine (stopped using against Octa as it did not seem to help yet): Sprawl.

* Goldenglade Touch: Flow.

* Ancient Bark: Rugged, Divert.

What should I do here? I had been rather enjoying the Dryad up to this point, but that was really, really boring.

• Like! 1

I feel you, because, in silver level, that giant tentacle monster has either been one of the easier bosses to deal with, or one of the more annoyng bosses to deal with depending on the amount of damage you can throw at it. Helps even less when your character tends to whiff against something that should be a large target. I can barely remember what I did with my ranged dryad when I first used her save that I think it was a long grind. I'll just throw in how my build went and how I eventually took care of that boss.

I'll have to check, but my initial skills were like yours, save that I had focus for nature weaver first, and I chose something other than combat reflexes to unlock armor lore. I also did not leave focuses at just a point, and tried to get them to at least 10 while spreading the other skill points between tactics and armor. I also modded sinister predator first as opposed to ravaged impact and darting assault, using eagle eye, marked shot, and unflinching. My main attack against it was, ravaged impact, which I modded it with perforate, breach, and douoble shot, though I can't remember if it was fully modded by the time I got to that fight. My dryad used a bow instead of a blow pipe, and it was likely a crappy one at that. But, I think, above all else, I killed it while up close. My memory is sketchy, and I can't even recall what level she was in when she fought it, but I think my ranged dryad also whiffed, though namely at a distance. Up close and in its face, she was hitting it, albeit weakly. At least that's what I recall anyways. Kinda defeats the purpose of using ranged. :P Well, she has since made it to niob, and at this point, damage has been less of a concern for me.

I just made another attempt. I spent some time running around shops until I could get a higher damage weapon and another `Opponent's chance to evade -%' ring. I ran in again and managed to (eventually) get it down below 50% health and limbs began falling off. The only time I seemed to do any meaningful damage was when it would be hit with open wounds. Around 60-70% damage, my attacks just stopped hitting again. I sat there for five/ten minutes hitting only one per minute and it was able to full regen its health again. Interestingly, this time, once it reached this point I was suddenly getting hit significantly more and taking huge damage every time it hit me --- Goldenglade Touch seemed useless and I was using a potion every hit. I spent 25-30 minutes on this before using most of my potions and giving up.

Hm... aside from grinding a little more in order to get your level and other attacks and CAs up, you have any fire based weapons or lava chunks to socket? He is weak against fire.

I always carry four different weapons with different elements, so the moment I saw he was weak to fire I switched to my fire weapon.

The issue is hitting him, however. I spent more time shopping to get every piece of gear either +attack rating, +attack rating%, -opponent evade%, opponent cannot evade% and/or +combat/all skills. Same issue. Got him to 10% life, then my attacks stopped working. I wiffed more than I hit and he was able to regen faster than I injured him. He heals 1500 at a time, and I do about 1000 between his heals, so he gradually works his way back to full life.

Recently fought him in Gold with my Seraphim and Silver with my High Elf, and he was effortlessly crushed in no time at all, so there is clearly more of an issue with my build than there is with the boss itself. I am thinking perhaps I should have modded Sinister Predator sooner rather than later.

You should have taken Cap hunter focus so you can use your combat arts more (or use RPH rings if you have a high attack rating) also taking constitution before you fight bosses for the HP.

Weapon based combat arts have a higher attack value than normal attacks so using combat arts and having high attack value will mean you hurt him before he starts healing.

You can find Boots with suprising extra attack value. Another option is to use LL% shurikens, you can get them around level 27? iirc - at least in fallen angel.

Looking at the wiki

I think your getting weakened by his attacks as well as having lower attack speed and lowered attack value

So in summary - don't use normal attacks, improve your attack values and improve your regen times, and socket fire too. Hope it helps.

• Like! 1

Are you certain that ALL weapon based combat arts have an attack rating boost? The wiki only mentions it on some of them, and the interface shows the same attack rating for my left and right click attacks on the Dryad (although, I have played plenty of games where the interface was wrong :P ).

Every Weapon Based Combat Art has an innate scaling bonus to attack rating, and the Wiki pages for all of them mention this. I checked the scripts myself and added this info. I don't know why the devs didn't have it show up in the display, when they went to the trouble of making separate displays for the normal weapon attack and the weapon CA. But it's definitely there. Your Ravaged Impact has a much better chance of hitting than your normal weapon attack, so getting sufficient regen per hit might make all the difference.

Wow, I had no idea of this. It definitely changes my view on how to build considerably. I can see I need to Silver-mod (at least) Sinister Predator asap (probably should have done that before Ravaged Impact) and need to make getting a few levels into Capricious Hunter Focus a bit of a priority too (along with a little more Regen per Hit). Would aiming for, say, 20 points into CHF be a good plan?

Constitution is on my plan for later in the build. I planned for it to be my fourth mastery (Tactics Lore, Armour Lore and Nature Weaver Lore all mastered first at 75).

Just digging for more info, do you happen to know how this attack rating boost works? Is it a +X attack rating (like Weapon Lore skills) or a +X% attack rating (like Sinister Predator)?

Just digging for more info, do you happen to know how this attack rating boost works? Is it a +X attack rating (like Weapon Lore skills) or a +X% attack rating (like Sinister Predator)?

These are the spell tokens for Ravaged Impact:

entry0 = {"et_missile_count", 300, 10, 0, 8 },
  entry1 = {"et_mult_weapondamage", 1200, 2, 0, 9 },
  entry2 = {"et_baseAW", 200, 350, 0, 5 },
  entry3 = {"et_damage_any_rel", 400, 100, 0, 5 },
  entry4 = {"et_chance_bleeding", 247, 3, 1, 5 },
  entry5 = {"et_physical_to_poison", 500, 10, 2, 5 },
  entry6 = {"et_chance_bypass_armor", 200, 5, 3, 5 },
  entry7 = {"et_target_seeker", 1000, 0, 4, 133 },
  entry8 = {"et_chance_areasplash", 500, 5, 5, 5 },
  entry9 = {"et_missile_count", 300, 10, 6, 8 },

In this case entries 0-3 are the innate bonuses. Entries 4 and afterwards are the modifications.

Entry 2 shows the Attack bonus ("et_baseAW"). It's a flat value. This is typical of all the Weapon Based CA's. It seems to be +20 Attack and another+35 for each CA level gained. At least that's what was recorded on the Wiki before I came along. Sometimes a value of "200" might be 20, sometimes it could be 2.0, but the latter is not a big enough increase to account for the noticeable increase in hits, so I think it's probably a double-digit increase.

A percentage boost to Attack Rating for a Weapon based CA is pretty rare and only appears on Magic Coup and the BFG ("et_AW_rel")

There is also a separate token for the buffs and temporary buffs that boost Attack by a percent ("et_AWboost_rel"), but this increase is perfectly visible in the tooltips when you cast the buff, and not "hidden" like the other two.

• Like! 1

Yes, put points into focus and get some regen from gear. Try to have it at 1.2 sec or lower.

Constitution won't be available till level 35 so an amulet with extra HP is a good idea (particularly as the main quest leads you to fire areas). Once I'm in that area I like to farm the ORC cave for XP.

Wow, that's facinating. +20 is pretty big at this early stage in the game, and all those +35s will stack up quickly later on. I had no idea it worked like that.

Thank you all for your help. I now see where I can tweak things to fix this character up!