Divinity: Original Sin

You know, that is my hang-up, too. I was so stoked, til I saw the words "tactical turn-based combat". Man, I loathe turn-based games. Not that there's anything wrong with them in the slightest bit, they're just not my cup of coffee

• Like! 1

Yeah I wince every time I'm reminded of that too. The game won't be scratching the hack and slash action itch that Sacred does. I think it was probably a mistake that will cost them players, and that there's going to be a lot more people who tolerate the combat rather than actually love it. I've never seen any defense of turn-based combat in a modern game that held up. Real time with active pause for giving commands is the gold standard for tactical RPG combat. But the head of Larian said he always wanted to make each Divinity game a turn-based game and every time the publisher said no, so Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity and Divinity 2 all ended up being real time. With this one being under their direct control, they can finally make the game they always wanted to. I just have to hope the rest of the game will be worth the combat system. Considering how much I loved the previous entries I'm sure it will be. Who knows maybe it will be the game to change my mind. At one time I couldn't stand OTS viewpoint games with WASD controls, but I had to learn it to play The Witcher 2 and that opened up a bunch of new possibilities for me.

• Like! 1

You need to get ready for Divinity: Original Sin then.

This is really what people should be getting psyched about.

This one looks incredibly promising. The one thing I am stuck on though, is the turn-based combat. Do not misunderstand, I was a huge fan of turn-based combat in the dark ages before HDD's, but in 2014 I am not sure about it.

I'm a big fan of this company, and their past games

Not really played turn based combat yet, a lot anyway... still kinda hooked on real time in a sc environment... Are they allowing four mp play online at once... kinda like d3?

:)

gogo

Just by seeing the trailer I almost got sold. I've been playing a lot of Turn-Based games the past couple years, so I'm pretty sure I'll pick this one up.

• Like! 1

I'm a big fan of this company, and their past games

Not really played turn based combat yet, a lot anyway... still kinda hooked on real time in a sc environment... Are they allowing four mp play online at once... kinda like d3?

:)

gogo

If I remember right multiplayer will be two-player, since there are two main characters. I think the additional 2 portraits are hirelings that you can get and control as party members.

I have not seen any official details on the MP, but the unofficial (caeat emptor) explanation goes like this:

The first player hosts the game, and the characters and everything belong to him. The second player joins and uses the secondary character on the first player's game.

Played a little bit tonight though I guess all saves get wiped for release tomorrow. MP is a 'Drop in-Drop out' type. You control 2 characters (with hirelings up to 4). When a friend joins, you select which of the 2 starting characters he plays. You will be the host of the game so I believe any progress is saved on the host only.

Oh...watch out for friendly fire lol....almost baked my knight with a fireball from my wizard :P

I am so so glad they brought back this level of world interaction to the series. I'm told it's inspired by the Ultima series, but since I haven't played those games, I'll always think of the "move/touch/pick anything up and try to use it" gameplay as Divinity-style.

• 3 weeks later...

I am an old Divine Divinity fan. Larian Studios is one of the many independent game developers that I have the utmost respect for. These people really listen to their players.

Divinity Original Sin is the sequel that fans of Divine Divinity have been waiting for, and the wait has been well worth it. They have captured the feel of the original game and have gone one heck of a step further.....the combat is now turn based and it is just about the most satisfying and enjoyable combat system I have played.

The UI is a workable, though clunky beast. Old rpg veterans will feel right at home though newer players will struggle for a while.

Multiplayer is a bit of a mess atm, though the devs are working on getting things better.

Get yourself a "demo" version of the game if you are still unsure. ;)

Edited by stubbie