Underground games people are playing.

"A-list" games are great, there's often a reason why they're so popular. Sometimes, really great games slip under the radar, for some reason they just don't get the publicity they should. So that's what I'm curious about; the games people play that won't be seen on Youtube, tv commercials, or "Up and Coming" sections of gaming forums.

I have one, a completely free MMO that's been around for I think ........ten years now? The game is named Illarion. I only found it because of an internet search that ironically wasn't what I was searching for. I was looking for "free medieval MMOs centered around a tavern". Reason why is because I was tired of all the farming and crafting. I'm also tired of all the immature crap and all kids running around "Look at me, I'm Peter Pantsless!" and "My name is Reuben, but they call me.......Darth Balls". In every medieval fantasy book I've ever read, as both a child and adult, the most colorful action happened around alcohol. I was hoping to find something beyond people bouncing around and dancing in things like WoW.

What I found.....well, there's no need for me to plug the game; they have a website obviously and forums and even a live chat room (that was cool, it was like the 90s all over again), so I won't tell you anything that you can find out for yourself. I'll just take a few seconds to tell you why I personally love the game. Social interaction, the thing I normally hate the most about MMOs, is why I've played this game almost obsessively for the last month or so. Yesterday, all I did was talk to a friend I made about making a guild (which shouldn't be a selling point for you, it takes major brown nosing and palm-greasing of the town's chancellors and GM to start a guild, plus you have to be fairly popular and well-liked) networked to make a few new customers (players normally pay far more for crafts than the cheapskate NPC merchants ) and helped a new player with a quest (which the game has very few of, just the basic "Getting around town" fetch quests and a few crafting quests in the profession of your choice for extra xp). That's about it out of me. I don't really spend much time here any more (waiting for Flix to bless us with more mods) but the game does indeed have a live chat room. On the forum, I'm Yalkara. Ingame, I have two jack of all trade type of characters in Galmair. One of them you probably won't see, he's for my antisocial days, But my other one, Panamon Creel, is always happy to help. Maybe I'll see you there :)

Been playing this one for a bit....so far I like it :)

Note: It's still in early access so all features haven't been enabled (if you choose to purchase)

Now, what I get a lot of is "You said players trade with other players! I figured out that not every faction has every resource. I know Runewick doesn't have mines, so I went over to sell gems, and people wouldn't buy amethysts off me!" No, they're not, because they don't buy raw goods, they can collect those themselves. One of my characters live in Runewick, I can use the transporter to Galmair and mine all the gems I want. But what I can't do is grind the gemstones, because you have to be a citizen of the town to use it's tools, and Runewick doesn't have a forge and a gold smithy. it's the gem powder that's valuable, I use that in alchemy recipes.Or, you have to buy a license to use another towns tools, which costs like 1 gold per hour. So, you don't sell the raw product, like grain, gems, wood, and so forth, you sell finished products to citizens of other towns , like gem powder to those in Runewick, clothing to those in Galmair, wood products and food to those in Cadomyr, or every finished product to those in Hempty Necktie Inn because they have nothing there, that's where freelancers and outlaws go who don't like paying a faction's taxes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

not sure if it's exactly underground but I did pick up a couple of games on steam I found interesting, some are still in early access and some are full releases, but they are not mainstream AAA titles :)

not all are to my liking but I can see there is a lot of love in making it

The Terminal 2 : airport sim

Mars: war logs : rpg

Carribean : pirate sim ( apparently uses the engine of mount and blade but I cant confirm cuz I never played that )

Unepic : sidescrolling dungeon crawler with more nerdy puns than I care to recall :P

Defiance: MMO 3rd person shooter with a tie in to the series from Syfy. Watch an episode - play the game - watch another episode play again .. and sometimes you feel like you influenced the series. very well done and F2P ( allthough it can be a bit laggy )

and a recent addition is Game Dev Tycoon. if you like simulation games this is a definite buy. the makers played a game very much like it and thought they could do better.. and they did.

After I got a real feel for it, I abhor Illarion. But I found something called Face of Mankind, I like it so far. If any of you play, feel free to give me a wave, I'm Bill S Preston

I've seen the Creeper World series, I'm not too much of a RTS fan. Face of Mankind was a bust, too. I kind of liked it, until I found out people can hack into your apartment and steal all the stuff out of your storage. Hours of mining materials and all my armor and weapons and schematics just :poof:. I don't think I'll ever quite find a free MMO that fits what I'm looking for. My main thing is crafting. What I'm looking for is a crafting system..... kind of like Silverfall:Earth Awakening. I want to be able to add my own personal flare to weapons and armor instead of creating the exact same thing that the other five hundred crafters are making. Someone once talked about Wurm online. The concept behind Wurm was intriguing: craft, PvP, PvE, shape the world around you by building stuff and manipulating the environment, I was so excited. But it used Java, I just can't get Java to run correctly. On top of that, Wurm is plagued with bugs, poor graphics, a few other things. Wurm was awesome in theory but poorly executed. It's all right though, just a slight bummer. I like playing with people in MMOs, just can't find one quite up to my speed.

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this game called Dwelvers, it's like a modern but better Dungeon Keeper :)

Tried the demo and it's pretty good, more sim than DK. Kind of like Evil genius, dungeon keeper meets dwarf fortress lite

A surface world will be added, which I think will allow you to raid human villages/castles, and they will also raid your dungeon etc

Pretty polished so far

Epic!

That is very lovely mix of Dungeon Keeper and Minecraft. Finally a 3D dungeon construction. Hope you get to flood enemy dungeons.

Though I have some minor issues with the gameplay. The wall reinforcement is too fast. The monster selection is uninspired. The “fill in the holes” mechanic is easy to abuse. Mixing the summoning portal with the dungeon heart removes the commando missions.

• Like! 1

I came across this game called Dwelvers, it's like a modern but better Dungeon Keeper :)

Tried the demo and it's pretty good, more sim than DK. Kind of like Evil genius, dungeon keeper meets dwarf fortress lite

A surface world will be added, which I think will allow you to raid human villages/castles, and they will also raid your dungeon etc

Pretty polished so far

Epic!

That is very lovely mix of Dungeon Keeper and Minecraft. Finally a 3D dungeon construction. Hope you get to flood enemy dungeons.

Though I have some minor issues with the gameplay. The wall reinforcement is too fast. The monster selection is uninspired. The “fill in the holes” mechanic is easy to abuse. Mixing the summoning portal with the dungeon heart removes the commando missions.

well it's still Early Access right now - but here is the road map

Something that will be worked on and improved during the whole development of Dwelvers
- Creature AI and behaviour

- Battle system.

- Building costs, creature strength and other features that balance the game.

Smaller planned features
- Better tutorial.

- More languages.

- More player control over creature production.

- Squad system for creatures.

- Somewhat automatized equipment system.

- The Piggeh creature.

- More creature types working in different rooms.

- Game optimization (higher FPS).

- Lightning bolt spell.

- Kettle farm for farming rope, leather and meat.

- Butchery.

Big features that will have sub features
- The surface world.

- Moddable buildings.

- Multiplayer.

- Campaigns.

This is not all features we plan! More features will pop up during the development!

When these features has been implemented, then the already implemented features will be expanded upon. For example, more creature types, more buildings, more spells, more campaigns etc. I don't want to expand already existing features to much before already planned features has been implemented. This is so that I don't have to redo to much.

Edited by CoolColJ