Melee or Ranged Dryad? Help please.

I used to play this game all the time. My SN was Rasputin. I was rich beyond belief but then one day my PS3 died and I lost everything. I couldn't go back to the game for awhile but recently after a couple years I decided to go back and finish my Dryad.

Now, I do have to make her have Bargain and EP because I am poor but I still think it will be a decent character. I figured I was going to go Ranged with bows or darts but her meleee seems more fun because it has unique animations. My question is this. Would I sacrifice power by taking out Ranged Weapons for Dual Wield?

My build so far is

Tactics Lore
EP
Bargain
Concentration

Then I was thinking

Hunter Focus
Nature Focus
Ranged or Dual Wield
Combat Reflex
Armor Lore
Combat Discipline or something else like Voodoo Focus

So, what do you guys think? Ranged or Dual Wield? You guys helped me soooo much before I figured I would come back for some advice. Thanks guys.

Anyone?

Under the assumption that you're still on PS3, you are forced to go ranged. Dual wield staves + acute mind trick doesn't work on consoles, and the dual wield life leech% beast build also does not work on consoles. Wish they had gotten one more patch out before they went under :(

Edited by Ryanrocker

I don't think I can take Con over CR but I will check. Would spell resistance be better?

So, Dual Wield with two swords wouldn't work well with the Dryad? I am ok with ranged but melee just seems more fun with her.

Its a shame the board is dead. Just a few years ago it was pretty active. I am waiting for Sacred 3 but everything I have seen so far has been negative. It looks bad. Again what a shame because this was a great community.

My bad, looking at the wiki you need reflexes to unlock armour lore. I never use builds without constitution so I'd recommend dropping CD and having your last skill constitution.

Console has Regen per hit working so CD would be overkill.

Is everyone in agreement that Ranged build is much better than a Dual Wield?

I wanted to take CD because CON seems boring even though its what keeps you alive. Others give me mod points, or unlock weapon mods or allow you to use 3 arts in a combo.

Is everyone in agreement that Ranged build is much better than a Dual Wield?

On consoles yes, there's no comparison. However, on PC the dryad dual wield LL% is one of the strongest bosskillers in the game.

It is an old dilemma and for Ice and Blood with its Reg per Hit I decided to go melee and ranged with one character. Believe me or not: weaponless attacks while using a shield are as quick (but less damage) as dual wield attacks. You may have less damage but you have a shield for better defense. So if you think that you have enough defense because of a good shield you can change some sockets away from protection to x-x damage rings and the gap between unarmed and dual wield gets way smaller. My personal taste would be to start with Darting Assault modified for ranged weapons and play through silver or gold with ranged weapons. Then I would be using twohanded weapon melee for gold/platinum and go unarmed with a shield in platinum/niob.

Viperish disease modded for boss killing together with unarmed x% life leech attacks are not much slower than dual wield bosskilling. Unarmed doesn't need a weapon skill so voodoo focus for viperish disease is a valid option. And voodoo focus adds the fun of head hunting.

My final dryad build:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/18562-die-waffenmeisterin-the-female-weaponmaster/

Dual Wielding and Weaponless Dryads are more gear-dependent than the Ranged ones, so if you lost all the money and items you had stored, playing ranged would be easier. Though if you feel like risking and experimenting, you can try going melee and trying to get good gear with Bargaining - that would help at least for rings and amulets.

On PC, melee Dryads are popular, but as Lifeleech works differently on consoles, they would deal significantly less damage there. Your build suggestion sounds solid for a ranged fighter, so I'd say go for it, and take Voodoo Focus or Nature Lore as the last skill. Voodoo Focus would allow for more fun with headhunting, while Nature Lore improves defensive properties of Ancient Bark and Goldenglade Touch (so it's a good choice even if you don't use Nature spells for damage).

If you decide to go melee, than it's a good idea to start taking defensive skills earlier and include Constitution into the build.

Thanks guys, this has helped alot. Its taken me some time to get back into the swing of things. I will go with Ranged first I guess. There is not a way to respec right? I don't think I remember there being one.

Another question though. Would you take Combat Relfex or Spell Resistance?

Combat reflexes for console. Spell resistance does little for you as no enemies on console has anything damaging enough to warrant its use. Either that, or you could use a shuriken instead of a bow or blowpipe and opt for shield lore to take advantage of shields.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for necroing, but as an avid Dryad player, I have a few valid questions.

What do you mean Acute Mind doesn't work on console? Is it the Hunter CAs? Yeah, it doesn't work but, get some staffs and you're still gonna hit jackpot.

What do you mean Spell Resistance is useless for consoles? In Niobium? Well?

How does life leech% work differently for consoles?

Sorry for necroing, but as an avid Dryad player, I have a few valid questions.

What do you mean Acute Mind doesn't work on console? Is it the Hunter CAs? Yeah, it doesn't work but, get some staffs and you're still gonna hit jackpot.

What do you mean Spell Resistance is useless for consoles? In Niobium? Well?

How does life leech% work differently for consoles?

Life leech %

Note: On the console version, the Additional Damage displayed on the screen is 1/1000th the expected value, plus or minus 1. The Additional Damage values appear to accurately reflect the Leech Life damage inflicted, while Leech Life healing functions correctly. The effect of this is that on the consoles Leech Life is purely defensive, since the damage inflicted is negligible.

from http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Leech_life_from_opponents
  • Like! 1