Sacred 2 Enhanced Edition

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

So would this knowledge, if proven, be able to tell us which enemies drop what? I know I'm simplifying the question, but that's what it seems.

I doubt it.  All active drop lists have rank = 0.  The vast majority of creatures also have rank = 0.  So basically this tells us that everything can drop everything.

The more important parameters in play are on drop patterns and they are dangerclass and initype.  Dangerclass is directly visible and can be compared with the dangerclass in creautres.txt.  Initype is not visible outside the game code.

So I was thinking the other way around then? That this doesn't show which is which but that it can be used to force drop a specific type of item from a specific mob?

I feel like I'm way out of my league here in "code-ish" but I feel a dire need to keep asking. :D

On 6/8/2020 at 11:11 PM, Flix said:

All active drop lists have rank = 0.  The vast majority of creatures also have rank = 0. 

The functionality might be there, merely undocumented. Given to how cohesive the various Ascaron programmer work appears, that would be hardly surprising.

14 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

The functionality might be there, merely undocumented. Given to how cohesive the various Ascaron programmer work appears, that would be hardly surprising.

I did some further testing with the rank id in the drop list, but the results are inconsistent.

Even though I had 'rank confined' the 1h energy pistols of drop list id = 1432 to the Garema_warrior_elite and deleted that drop list from the 'drop all weapons' lists id = 1452 (and neither of those are included in any drop pattern as well), I still got  sporadic drops of them from other NPC enemies.

This could mean two things:

a) there are other intrinsic methods that rule the drops

b) the rank id may have been intended to be used in such a way but was disregarded for reasons unknown.

The latter one seems to to be the more likely one, as already suspected.

Apparently the said 'dangerclass' may be the only one to go for, when trying to get some grip on drops, albeit only in quests as it would seem.

@FlixI am a bit uncertain about some NPC names:

Is, for example, "Bluestone Pirates Captain" a grammatically correct name? Grammarly has found no errors in the test phrase: "The Bluestone Pirates Captain told us to get lost", but I'm still unsure.

Edited by dimitrius154
1 hour ago, dimitrius154 said:

@FlixI am a bit uncertain about some NPC names:

Is, for example, "Bluestone Pirates Captain" a grammatically correct name? Grammarly has found no errors in the test phrase: "The Bluestone Pirates Captain told us to get lost", but I'm still unsure.

Not being a native speaker, but I think the grammatically fully correct version would be Bluestone Pirates' Captain?

Edited by jwiz

English is flexible.  The way I phrased is the more Germanic way.

The old way that the vanilla game uses, is a more Latin way, "Captain of the Bluestone Pirates."  This is also correct, and perhaps 0.1% more clear, but clarity often comes at the expense of extra words.  In this case, it's too much text for an NPC enemy name, and additionally longer names risk being cut off when displayed in the Last Opponent Window.

Other such examples in EE would be "Swamp Olm Shocker" or "Cultist Hunter."  These could just as well have been "Shocker of the Swamp Olm" or "Hunter of the Cultists."  But to a native ear, this kind of construction sounds more formal and stuffy, so unless the situation calls for such a tone it will hit the ear wrong and sound, well, like a non-native wrote it.

I know. Germany had a spelling reform in 1996. My kids consider my pre-reform writing with a bit of good will only as strange and not as wrong ;)

At least the makers of the writing reform were clever enough that they didn't enforce it for everyone. Only embloyee's of the state, teachers, students and pupils are forced to use the new writing. Other are free to choose between old or new. Songwriters and book authors can demand that a book is printed or sung as originally wrote - exception use in schools.

So the freedom of a creative person to choose the language is important. Else we could start an endless discussion with the national anthem of the USA and if it could be played at ceremonies in foreign countries:

O’er a/the land of the free
and a/the home of the brave?

People from the USA are the only brave and free?

With the criteria we have for the given NPCs, I vote for b).

'Freedom' is an overused word, tbh., right next to 'racist'. To paraphrase a famous quote: "Every time I hear 'freedom', I grasp my wallet tight.'

Edited by dimitrius154
41 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

Had just learned a new word - Praepostor. You might think it's something about being preposterous, but it's, in fact, a village elder.

Sounds scaring. Beware of the Chattius he is a dangerous Praepostor, a boss monster... ;)

That make me think: am I a Praepostor?

Bürgermeister is the mayor of a legally independant village/town. I am an Ortsvorsteher. I represent our 123people village which forms with some other small villages a bigger legal independant village to ease bureaucracy.

1 hour ago, chattius said:

Bürgermeister is the mayor of a legally independant village/town

Interestingly enough, there's a word Burgomaster in English. Although, technically, to have a Mayor, or a Burgomaster, the town has to have a perimeter wall.

Which means Black Oaks can have a mayor, but Sonnenwind cannot)

Edited by dimitrius154
3 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

With the criteria we have for the given NPCs, I vote for b).

I agree this is probably the best.  "Bluestone Pirate Captain."

And I would interpret "Bluestone pirate captain" like a pirate captain from the town named Bluestone, while "Bluestone Pirates captain" sounds for me more like a head of the "Bluestone Pirates" gang:dntknw:

56 minutes ago, lacr said:

And I would interpret "Bluestone pirate captain" like a pirate captain from the town named Bluestone, while "Bluestone Pirates captain" sounds for me more like a head of the "Bluestone Pirates" gang:dntknw:

How about:

Captain Bluestone, pirate.

• Like! 1
5 hours ago, jwiz said:

How about:

Captain Bluestone, pirate.

In this case, and, since "longer names risk being cut off when displayed in the Last Opponent Window", just CBP. Who knows, maybe he is a cop disguised as  a pirate:dntknw:

• Haha 1

@Flix Some Temple Guardian arm descriptions are misleading. While arms are added as blueprints, their boni are not being taken into account. The extra double hit chance for the Battle Extension is hardcoded.

[EDIT] On another note - is there a chest file containing pieces of the "Mark of the Dragon" set available for download? I've edited all other sets and, if you don't mind, I'd like to add this one, but there's some model fixing to do.

Edited by dimitrius154
6 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

@Flix Some Temple Guardian arm descriptions are misleading. While arms are added as blueprints, their boni are not being taken into account. The extra double hit chance for the Battle Extension is hardcoded.

Well that's irritating.  I thought we had discussed it and determined that the blueprint bonuses were functioning.  So Battle Extension's double hit bonus is the only functioning one?

6 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

On another note - is there a chest file containing pieces of the "Mark of the Dragon" set available for download? I've edited all other sets and, if you don't mind, I'd like to add this one, but there's some model fixing to do.

I never collected the pieces of that one in a chest.  I'm not sure I even allowed to drop in EE.

1 hour ago, Flix said:

I thought we had discussed it and determined that the blueprint bonuses were functioning. 

Nope, they don't. A hero's left arm is part of the EID_ARM slot and there's no separate bonus determination for the Temple Guardian left arm.

1 hour ago, Flix said:

So Battle Extension's double hit bonus is the only functioning one?

Not quite. The bonus is not retrieved from the blueprint.txt, but is determined via blueprint ID match in the damage application function. The value is hardcoded at 35%, if I'm not mistaken.

• 3 weeks later...

@FlixA couple questions, if I may:

1. Do you have a definite list of logic box changes for base models in itemtype.txt and creature speed changes in creatureinfo.txt? It would be nice to have those, so as not to comb through both files.

2. I don't recall ever seeing the High Elf archer soldiers ingame. Are they even used?

2 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

Do you have a definite list of logic box changes for base models in itemtype.txt and creature speed changes in creatureinfo.txt? It would be nice to have those, so as not to comb through both files.

I don't have such a list. All I had was a list of the base models that received altered bounding boxes in itemtype.txt.  It was posted either in this thread or your thread, or both. I'd have to hunt for it.

Creature speed changes in EE are mostly limited to faster bats and faster mounts of all types.  I believe the player characters also may have received boosted speed, but that may have been in D2F only.

2 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

I don't recall ever seeing the High Elf archer soldiers ingame. Are they even used?

I'm sure they are.  I think there are some involved in that quest in northern Tyr Lysia where the Kobolds are assaulting a hill that the soldiers are defending.  For that matter, just search quest.txt for the archer's itemtype and I'm sure some will show up.

There are probably a few added in the sector files as ambient guards as well.

5 minutes ago, Flix said:

I don't have such a list. All I had was a list of the base models that received altered bounding boxes in itemtype.txt.  It was posted either in this thread or your thread, or both.

A pity. The post you've made earlier contained a partial list, so I thought you had an extensive one.

7 minutes ago, Flix said:

I think there are some involved in that quest in northern Tyr Lysia where the Kobolds are assaulting a hill that the soldiers are defending

Hmm, yes. I think, I'll add them to Tyr Lysian town patrols as well, makes sense.

The high elf archers are definitely used in that injured soldier quest near Sloeford to the Happy Cows farm, where you have to choose your companion to either wield a sword or a bow.