Sacred 2 Enhanced Edition

12 hours ago, Flix said:

Oh yes indeed.  In fact several of these new uniques and legendaries now make a special sound upon equipping.  Widowmaker whispers ominously for a few seconds.  

Based on feedback, everyone who has encountered him has experienced a vivid and memorable annihilation.  :schot:

I love it! talk about giving your favorites a voice :bounce: And when I think about it... I reminisce about the feel that StarWars and Star Trek (who were first) to give me distinct mnemonics for weps when used...  Sacred absolutely deserves it too!  

Light Sabres aren't the only ones who deserve such sonic disctinction!

:starwars:

gogo

• Like! 1

Seyr's Blade looks so ... greeeeeeeeeeeen. :D

I totaly love twohander. Sadly, can't find a build where twohander do as much damage in the same amount of time as two one hander. But these look so good, maybe I make a Char just to use this swords for a while. *.*

• Like! 1
11 hours ago, Roderick said:

I totaly love twohander. Sadly, can't find a build where twohander do as much damage in the same amount of time as two one hander. But these look so good, maybe I make a Char just to use this swords for a while. *.*

I've tried to close the large gap between 2h weapons and dual wield.  I'll see what else I can do.  Maybe a boost to base damage across the board for all 2-handers.

==============================

I've been toying around with an idea for making some of the Ascaron-made unofficial "sets" into actual mini-sets.  I'm talking about those groups of Legendary items that share a namesake and usually consist of a single weapon + 2 pieces of jewelry.  I think it's a safe bet that the developers were working toward making more all-class mini-sets and just ran out of time before they could finish them all.  Even they ones they did clearly intend as sets didn't drop until CM Patch (Kira's, Bratgrimace, Nitao, Slagelamber).

Nothing would really change in terms of availability (being Legendary they would all be quite rare), although the pieces might drop slightly more often as there is an extra "MIniSet" drop list.

This was the potential list I put together:

Thunderstrike
Signet of Thunder
Insignia of Thunder

Charo’s Gleaming Fist
Charo’s Sparkle
Charo’s Brilliance

Silithar’s Blade OR
Silithar’s Malice
Star of Silithar
Silithar’s Finger Hoop

Khral’s Sceptre
Khral’s Ring
Khral’s Talisman

Gruma’s Insignia of Power
Gruma’s Breath of Perdition
Gruma’s Talisman

Arnum’s Pathfinder
Arnum’s Prevalence
Arnum’s Signet

Soorn’s Righteous Blade
Soorn’s Doombringer

I would also probably also add Glimborin's Hoop and Mormorin's Band to the High Elf's and Dryad's mutation sets, respectively, since those two characters have one fewer armor slot than the other characters, I find it very likely that these rings were meant to be part of the mutation sets.  This would add symmetry to the mutation set bonuses.

2 hours ago, Androdion said:

Does the "or" work though? Isn't the set static, as in either one or the other?

Excellent project. :)

Thanks!  The thing is, since one weapon is a bow and the other a sword, we would have to choose one or the other to be the centerpiece of the set.  

16 minutes ago, Flix said:

Thanks!  The thing is, since one weapon is a bow and the other a sword, we would have to choose one or the other to be the centerpiece of the set.  

Isn't it possible to do both?

If we have a set with 4 items, 3 armor and 1 weapon for example we could keep the boni for 2,3,4 items and make it a 5 piece set with 3 armor, 2 weapons and have a dummy bonus for 5 items which can't be worn at the same time anyway?

• Like! 1
38 minutes ago, chattius said:

If we have a set with 4 items, 3 armor and 1 weapon for example we could keep the boni for 2,3,4 items and make it a 5 piece set with 3 armor, 2 weapons and have a dummy bonus for 5 items which can't be worn at the same time anyway?

The function, that checks for set pieces present, does not preclude from using same items as parts for two(or more) different sets. The only small annoyance would be the available sets interface.

Edited by dimitrius154
  • Like! 1

The most elegant way would one set comprising all 4 items, with the full set bonus awarded at 3 pieces equipped.  That way the player would get the full set bonus with either of the 2 weapons + the jewelry.

The set display would always show incomplete though, which makes it seem a sloppy implementation.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Flix said:

The most elegant way would one set comprising all 4 items, with the full set bonus awarded at 3 pieces equipped.  That way the player would get the full set bonus with either of the 2 weapons + the jewelry.

The set display would always show incomplete though, which makes it seem a sloppy implementation.

I was about to ask for this possibility. And it's only sloppy when you hover over the sets, so I'd say it's a decent compromise.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:02 PM, Roderick said:

I second you Roderik, love 2 handed weapons too: An exalted pole-arm Seraphim warrior or a death 2 handed sword Shawdow warrior are among my fav builds. Loving your art Flix, Enhanced Edition becomes more and more appealing to me and if you do the changes for Diablo 2 Fallen as well, well, great job, thanks for it.

Forgot to say: for 2 handed weapons, Roderick, bet on Life Leeching weapons.

Edited by desm
2 hours ago, desm said:

if you do the changes for Diablo 2 Fallen as well, well, great job, thanks for it.

Oh yes, most definitely.  in fact D2F will likely be getting even more changes, fixes, and new content due to me being able to hopefully bring in the system files from the Addendum.

• Like! 1

I think I am drooling a bit seeing all these weapons...:drool:  :crazy::viking:

On 11/3/2020 at 5:02 AM, Flix said:

I've tried to close the large gap between 2h weapons and dual wield.  I'll see what else I can do.  Maybe a boost to base damage across the board for all 2-handers.

13 hours ago, desm said:

I second you Roderik, love 2 handed weapons too: An exalted pole-arm Seraphim warrior or a death 2 handed sword Shawdow warrior are among my fav builds. Loving your art Flix, Enhanced Edition becomes more and more appealing to me and if you do the changes for Diablo 2 Fallen as well, well, great job, thanks for it.

Forgot to say: for 2 handed weapons, Roderick, bet on Life Leeching weapons.

I think I have to be more precise here. I don't think the gap can be closed with damage that easily and it isn't related to some defensive shortcomming. (I don't know how to read your bet as anything else... since the bet is wrong. I almost never find any life leech items and thus don't rely on them.)

The Shadow Warrior has the Demoic Blow, Scything Sweep and my beloved Frenzied Rampage as direct attacks. I absolutely hate the DB because of that jump animation. Sorry, it looks retarded. xD
Soooo... the FR does 5 hits with your weapon. Obviously, those will add up to 10 hits if you use two single handed weapons. Mathematically, a 2H would need double the amount of damage to one single weapon to do the same damage (not exactly since the higher damage breaks through armor better than a single heanded weapon, but just to make it simple here).

But that is just not it. A 2H is slower than 1H, so is the FR. Unless you hit a level where your attack speed hits the cap, two single handed weapon will pump out more damage in the same amount of time.
Then you can craft more into two single handed weapons and you can deal two different kinds of damage types. Thats not possible with a 2H.
Last but not least, if you are doing really high damage, a single attack kills a goblin. So with 2 single handed weapons you might kill 10 low level enemies with FR. With a 2H you can only kill 5. Even with more powerfull weapons, the access damage goes into thin air since you can't kill more than one enemy with one hit. Two single handed weapons just dispense the damage more equal against multiple small fries.

On the other side, a 2H seems to be good with Scything Sweep, right? Well... no. Scything Sweep has a inherit chance to knock enemies back. Maybe I play Sacred 2 wrong the whole time.... but who the hell thought it was a good idea to give an MEELE skill chance of knocking enemies AWAY? I should mention that this hurling effect hardly kills anyone, even with the Supwer Spawn Mod. Scything Sweep WOULD be awesome without the knockback, since you could pummel all enemies in front of you dealing more damage than with two single weapons (hitting 4 enemies would be 4 times the damge overall in that time). But the enemies get hurled away quite often a) out of range and you have to follow and b) they are hurled away in a circle. Means if you step forward, one or two enemies would be out of range from the sweep because they are know at your side and no longer in front of you.

A Dryade with the Rotate Mod in her Darting Assault is more made for real whirlewinding through lots of enemies than the SW with a 2H weapn and this strange Sweep.

Edited by Roderick
1 hour ago, Roderick said:

I almost never find any life leech items

Sure they are rare but there are some. I always loot at least one (have to be patient...) and I play self-drop without bargaining (with bargaining you can more often find some at the merchants). At first glance, there is little bonus from life leech (like +1.2%, something like that) so you can think it's not worth wearing it. But in fact it has terrible power (especially against bosses). Well, I guess it's a matter of taste if one want to dual-wield or have a 2 handed weapon.

6 minutes ago, desm said:

Sure they are rare but there are some. I always loot at least one (have to be patient...) and I play self-drop without bargaining (with bargaining you can more often find some at the merchants). At first glance, there is little bonus from life leech (like +1.2%, something like that) so you can think it's not worth wearing it. But in fact it has terrible power (especially against bosses). Well, I guess it's a matter of taste if one want to dual-wield or have a 2 handed weapon.

Why is life leech linked with dual wield? I do dual wield without it. Oo

Maybe you can buff 2H weapons by either adding melee range increase or splash damage to the Polearm and/or Sword masteries? 

I dont know though, if the game engine allows for that.

• Like! 1

Or maybe drop slightly the base damage for one-handed weapons at the same time that you raise the one for two-handed ones? That and applying base elemental damage to two-handed weapons in a similar way to lightsabers?! This would most likely require a whole rebalance of the melee weapons though, daunting task I'd say for what could be a not so great result in the end. :dntknw:

• zomgod! 1
6 hours ago, Roderick said:

On the other side, a 2H seems to be good with Scything Sweep, right? Well... no. Scything Sweep has a inherit chance to knock enemies back. Maybe I play Sacred 2 wrong the whole time.... but who the hell thought it was a good idea to give an MEELE skill chance of knocking enemies AWAY? I should mention that this hurling effect hardly kills anyone, even with the Supwer Spawn Mod. Scything Sweep WOULD be awesome without the knockback, since you could pummel all enemies in front of you dealing more damage than with two single weapons (hitting 4 enemies would be 4 times the damge overall in that time). But the enemies get hurled away quite often a) out of range and you have to follow and b) they are hurled away in a circle. Means if you step forward, one or two enemies would be out of range from the sweep because they are know at your side and no longer in front of you.

Should be easy enough to remedy.  Knockback and the damaging "Hurl" are two different properties.  Knockback just pushes enemies away a little bit, causing no damage.  The hurl property only takes effect when an enemy is killed, and their ragdoll corpse collides with an enemy.  This property can actually be devastating. The problem is that it can cause friendly fire, so I keep the value extremely low in EE and just use to provoke the ragdoll corpse mechanics.

I'll replace the inherent knockback with area splash damage instead. This should mimic the "collateral damage" effect nicely enough.   If the player desires knockback they can take the bronze mod "Knockback."

7 minutes ago, Flix said:

This property can actually be devastating. The problem is that it can cause friendly fire, so I keep the value extremely low in EE and just use to provoke the ragdoll corpse mechanics.

The 'hurl' damage-dealing function had no IFF, except for the owner. It no longer functions the way it used to, but is a visual corpse throw + area effect damage hybrid property.

Edited by dimitrius154