Impressions on Sacred 3

grimwold

Thanks for the review links/thoughts, guys. I'd heard about the Ascaron bankruptcy but hadn't kept up, then I heard Sacred 3 was in development, and suddenly it was released? The release cycle sounded so fast as to be concerning, and I'm disappointed to hear that the game isn't more of the Sacred 2 goodness I enjoyed.

Having a Seraphim in your game and having the old classes as spirits does not make this a Sacred game. All the things they excluded are why its not a Sacred game. I wasn't expecting much but this is beyond my imagination. I am glad I didn't buy this, all the talk of Sacred has done is make me rebuy Sacred 2 gold and replay it again.

I read you can finish Sacred 3 in 10 hours and do all the quests, you can't even get out of region one in Sacred 2 (if you do all the side quests anyway) in that time.

People on Steam say its dumbed down for consoles. No, this is a mobile game, consoles can handle Diablo 3, they can handle more than 2 attacks at once, they can handle inventories too, and open world maps. This is an Android game.

I may appear new here but I have played Sacred 2 before. I actually registered here again to see your opinions on this game. Its nice to see all the old faces are still here :)

Hi Colift!

Were you originally registered on Sacred Intenational Forum and here as Colif?

:)

gogo

bingo, and done

accounts merged

Welcome back to DarkMatters Colif... good to see you on the boards again!

gogo

As I said in email response, I was going to message you before I set up the clone but couldn't see anyway to do it.

So If you haven't got it I would probably suggest you don't bother as the only thing that is Sacred is in the name, and the Seraphim. :mellow:

From what I've seen in "let's play" videos and first reviews, it does not have even that much. The title remains, but the Seraphim is not what she used to be. The previous installments didn't picture her as a generic spandex-wearing superheroine that would be more at home at Marvel or DC Universes than in Ancaria. Nor did they limit her to using simple boring sword swings for the entirety of the game.

Surprising as it is, I think that DarkMatters is a wrong place to ask for first impressions about S3. People here are all ARPG fans, and after hearing the first news about the upcoming S3, we all became skeptical at best, disheartened at worst. I don't think many people of this community considered a day one purchase or a pre-order - we all were waiting for gameplay videos and reviews.

I told it before that I personally won't buy this game because its genre switched to something I don't normally play, but I still tried not to voice major disappointment for as long as there were not enough information to judge the game by. Now, however, we have some info on our hands... There are three "let's play" videos here in another topic. I admit that I felt bored after watching even one of them to the end. Only 15 minutes, about 5 of which is an opening trailer, and I felt that I've seen all the game has to offer during the other 10. 3 types of monsters, 4 types of attacks, the same boring trap and shield disabling actions. Repeat. Judging by reviews, it does not get better with levelling up or campaign progress, because the only thing you gain with levels is that you start to overpower the enemies and difficulty goes down, making repetitive action boringly simple.

And the humor... the first two games did not take themselves too seriously, but they did not shove an awkward attempt at humor in your face during every dialog, at the rate of one joke every half-a-minute of gameplay. Maybe the humor of the first two games was not always smart and well-thought, but it wasn't that trite and vulgar, and the fact that it appeared mostly in characters' idle states, side quests, and other secondary things made discovering the jokes and Easter Eggs into pleasant experience. But S3... I'm starting to understand why some of the previewers mentioned the necessity of beer and friends - I'm not sure that this game's style and humor would be to the liking of a sober person who just wants to spend an evening with his computer.

One more thing that has to be said as a warning: this game was originally meant to be played in multiplayer team, or at least with AI companions. Later the devs removed AI followers, but did nothing to redesign certain levels of the game that are just not fun solo. Quoting one of the reviews:

>Often, you have to stay rooted in one place while performing mundane busywork, like spinning a wheel or charging up a magic shrine while mobs of monsters attack at you. That's not fun either for the solo player or the co-op participant who ends up on wheel-spinning duty.

Just imaging plying this alone with nobody to watch your back...

For those who still doubt, I thought I'll leave "No Commentary" gameplay videos here, just to let the game speak for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyHpTN8TMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8QvHDit2sU

"Huh, I thought that was my stomach grumbling"

-I could have tolerated that but the voice acting...... :nono:

Huh, I thought that was my stomach grumbling"

-I could have tolerated that but the voice acting...... :nono:

I found the English version had OK to Good voice acting. You can't really blame the actor who works with a script that is forced, lacking or just plain terrible.

The voice over thing was bad enough in Diablo 3, who thought it was a good idea to have in sacred 3? Perhaps its added to obscure the boring combat.. lets annoy people so much with voice overs they won't notice the game is boring.

I watched the end to this game yesterday, last stage is 3 mini bosses followed by the big guy. Whole game is stages with very few save points, so it gets to the stage you die right at end of level and have toi replay it all, all the stupid voice overs, all the silly mini cut scenes. Its an exercise in frustration.

I feel all the positive reviews on steam and Metacritic are from either people new to franchise or people who work for Keen games. Its a pointless exercise as they overwhelmed by negative reviews.

I feel sorry for Keen in a way as they were given a series that was clearly above their ability, or maybe they just didn't get enough time/resources to even attempt it. As for Deep Silver, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I'v read that Sacred 3 has no loot? So there's no Set items?

Boring. Sacred UW was a lot better. Especially reading the tombs all around ancaria. are there tombs here in Sacred 3? none? Ok.

Thanks for the review links/thoughts, guys. I'd heard about the Ascaron bankruptcy but hadn't kept up, then I heard Sacred 3 was in development, and suddenly it was released? The release cycle sounded so fast as to be concerning, and I'm disappointed to hear that the game isn't more of the Sacred 2 goodness I enjoyed.

Sadly, it wasn't suddenly released as it was actually announced way back in 2010 :( They've actually had a fairly decent or at least average time to work on it, though some games can have an even longer development time.

Having a Seraphim in your game and having the old classes as spirits does not make this a Sacred game. All the things they excluded are why its not a Sacred game. I wasn't expecting much but this is beyond my imagination. I am glad I didn't buy this, all the talk of Sacred has done is make me rebuy Sacred 2 gold and replay it again.

I read you can finish Sacred 3 in 10 hours and do all the quests, you can't even get out of region one in Sacred 2 (if you do all the side quests anyway) in that time.

People on Steam say its dumbed down for consoles. No, this is a mobile game, consoles can handle Diablo 3, they can handle more than 2 attacks at once, they can handle inventories too, and open world maps. This is an Android game.

I may appear new here but I have played Sacred 2 before. I actually registered here again to see your opinions on this game. Its nice to see all the old faces are still here :)

Yeah the statement of some Steam members claiming Sacred 3 was made the way it was because it of consoles is baffling to me. I wonder how many of those people don't even realize that even Sacred 2 had a console release and was somewhat faithful to the PC port minus Ice and Blood.

This was just the publisher simply not giving a damn and taking an project unrelated to Sacred and trying to shoehorn it into one and failing in a colossal way.

Matt Lees, Jim Sterling, and Totalbiscuit had a go at it on the podcast:

The press has pretty much spoken. Sacred 3 is pretty much a steaming pile, and the worst part the community here at DarkMatters and others who have accounts on the official Sacred forums warned Deep Silver of this two years ago.

When you ignore the criticism and refuse to listen to your main fanbase of the series and decide to do what you want regardless of concenquences, then you pretty much deserve to fail, and this is exactly what happened.

Edited by OmegaDL50
  • Like! 1

I have already talked more with the devs in Unbended in the last month than I had with Deep Silver in the last few years.

Beautiful post Knuckles, one of the most honest fan thoughts I've read. Have to definitely agree with this point, I'm always in contact with Frank, and just recently was put in a conversation with Franz and Norbert. It's so refreshing to be able to reach out and talk to the people making the game, especially after the whole "closed door" policy Keen/DS threw at us.

Transgooglated from the Dutch tech website Tweakers.net:

Summarized

With Sacred 3 developer Keen Games deviates significantly from the formula. There is no open gameworld anymore, so there is much less to explore. It is especially unfortunate that so little is possible in the game. Characters have few skills, which also have limited alterations. However, the game looks pretty good and has a nice co-op game mode.

Pros
Looks good
Coop

Cons
Few options during fighting
Limited character upgrading
Unpleasant controls for the Windows version

Source: http://tweakers.net/reviews/3645/sacred-3-breekt-met-de-formule.html // Source in google translate

After seeing the gameplay vids, reading the reviews... No thanks :)

Last few days I have played Sacred 2 again, and the open world, or complete lack there of in Sacred 3 is a killer to me. I had forgotten how much fun it is to just go randomly killing things, instead of questing. Or just doing mapping runs and having 20 odd red triangles flowing you around on the map.

This game is too restrictive, no grinding allowed, we hand hold you though out.. no ca runes, so you can't accidentally be too op for the game, that wouldn't be "fun" now would it? No shared stash (not that there is any equipement anyway) so you can't pre equip your characters for their trials ahead. And how do you compare 40 quests or so to 600? I know when I read about expandability in Unbended, their idea of dlc won't be pay to enter a few more quests.

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

Yah, a lot of the community really panned the game this time around, a real downer :cry:

Just your mention of Gauntlet sounds amusing though... remember looking at that game while back when it was released, and in live mp it was sick

:bounce:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

S3 is an insult to all. A grave one...

Csaszar! Good seein ya!

Agreed on the critique, but we've been looking at Unbended lately, created by some of the Devs of Sacred 2, have you seen yet?

gogo

• Like! 1