ReSpec in UnBended - Yay or Nay?

this from their faq:

How does it look for a possibility to re-skill? Planned, rejected, open?

Definitely rejected

I like the tone and have never been a big fan of the style of gaming that reskilling offers, though I do see it's merits...just that for this game, I kinda want the journeying that permanent decisions affords.

You guys?

:)

gogo

I don't like reskilling. Be it Diablo or Sacred, turning a wrongly skilled character into something playable by trying out of mainstream ideas is often more fun.

I played a polearm highelf in sacred2 when everyone said you can't do it. But it was close to my Lance-amazon first days in Diablo2 when I heard same. The easy way would have been to reskill. The fun and learning the game way is most often to keep the character and find a way to make it useful.

I hope UnBended has enough armour modifies, CA-modifiers, ... to make reskilling unnecessary in most of the cases. Like my jumping barbarian in Diablo2 who turned out really funny when wearing equipment which triggered spells when hitting your opponent.

Hmm I can see the advantages of both, ReSkilling makes the game less frustrating for some players and No ReSkilling increases the replayability of the game.

How about a way of ReSkilling but requires a lot of grind or is extremly hard to do? Or a once per character ReSkill that doesn't reset ALL skills?

I never really thought about the ability to re-skill. I'm one of those players that has to have a character for every skill, special weapon, and unique armor that the game has to offer. Mostly, it's because I'm a nut about armor and weapons, but also it gives me a sense of completion. When I move a game into my "retired" bin, I'm confidant that I've milked every drop of fun out of it, seen everything the game has to offer, held every weapon, played with every skill. On top of that, I've never picked up a skill that I've found so despicable that I wanted to either re-skill or delete the character. Every skill in my eyes has merit, it might not make my character so OP that I can play it one eye closed and one hand holding a beer, but I sometimes like playing under-powered characters. Sometimes it's fun to play a character who can wipe the floor with everything on-screen without a thought, but sometimes it's fun to play a character who's got to plan and be a little cautious, too

I love the idea of not reskilling because it lessens the presence of a 'meta' on the game's community. When players are allowed to switch their skills easily, many will simply go for the flavor of the month or the most overpowered build that's available. Also, I think having permanent choices makes the connection you have with that character stronger. Your fire mage who has trained for hundreds of hours shouldn't be able to wake up the next morning and go okay, now I'm a frost mage. I vote yay for the Unbended system :)

• Like! 1

I don't like re-skilling for this one reason....

It absolutely kills re-play

Take D3 for example....I don't need a lightning monk and a fire monk and a cold monk because all I have to do is switch runes...not even any points to assign...build diversity is null and void....I built a max Mongoose Dark Elf in Sacred 2 just because I wanted to see how far I could jump...and it was a looooong way lol....Sacred 2 encouraged build diversity via runes and equipment...in D3, oh you found a Cindercoat or Thunder Fury? Just change runes and away you go. There is no need to specialize your characters

I made some truly horrible builds in Sacred 2 just to see what would happen....re-skilling really removes any initiative to be creative and unique since you can always un-do everything.

• Like! 1

I'll play devil's advocate. Not because I disagree with making permanent decisions, but I don't click with people's reasons so far.

I would argue that re-skilling can boost experimentation and creative builds. Furthermore, I'd argue that not having re-skilling encourages following cookie cutter builds. The reason being that with re-skilling you won't feel punished by the game for accidentally making a bad or "broken" build. So see how far using that one weird spell will get you. How many fearful new players come onto game forums (like this one) worried sick to death about making a broken character? In a game with no re-skill, people who really care about making a working character end up planning and planning and feeling they have to have everything they're going to do with this character written down and charted before they even start (some people like that of course). I actually think not having re-skilling encourages meta-gaming in a way that re-skills does not. Because you have the freedom to just play the game, instead of min-maxing.

Of course, you can just play a game like Sacred without any forethought as well. And you will be punished. And I happen to like that.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Been thinking on this more and maybe I'm thinking of this in the wrong context....Ysne really clued me in with chronic restartitis-mulitple characters

I too was afflicted with this in both Sacred's but never D3. Sometimes it's the journey and not the end that brings us pleasure. I didn't mind building a character that was flawed and I couldn't fix easily...it became a challenge to me.. Sometimes there was just no saving it or I thought of a better way to do certain aspect and thus the journey would start again from the beginning.

I restarted sooooo many times I lost count. But only got 1 character in both S1 and Sacred 2 to max level. I enjoyed tinkering with builds and starting over. But with re-skilling I no longer have to start over and can 'fix' my character within minutes and I'm just that much closer to the end game. No need to restart, no need to make another character.

But I think for me the journey was the more important part of the game, the destination never mattered :D

• Like! 1

FF14 lets you have every class on one character, this kills the need to even play game again if you can be it all. Diablo 3 has no real spec at all, you can take it all - I still played two of same class cause I enjoy levelling up, since there is no real end game besides grinding gear.

Games with respec are built for people who don't want to spend years playing the one game, and just want something fun to play for a month. I remember just after Diablo 3's release the devs actually said they didn't want people playing it for years... but but, that is why I wanted to play it... no idea.

I think most of the good arguments have already been taken above. I don't mind having no respec as it means you have to be careful with what you choose, you can't easily fix taking the wrong skill. Its all a learning curve, if you choose wrong your next character will know better.

Edited by colif

Don't really mind. Gotten used to no re-skilling from playing Sacred alone, and have rolled with the consequences of my choices. Not that I don't understand the reasoning behind respecs, but I also don't mind building multiple characters, either.

• Like! 1

I'm a bit bias about this. On one hand, if one takes the R in ARPG it would mean that one plays a role and this role needs decissions and decissions in life are fix and cannot be redone. But on the other hand for those who want to experiement with builts I can definitively see the benefit of reskilling and I guess this is one reason why we do see all those unskilled characters here in Sacred!?

A possible solution for me would be a similar one to the one of Hardcore and Softcore. If one wants to reskill ones character, this decission should be made already at the beginning of the game like setting Hardcore or Softcore another setting for Reskilling or permanent Skilling could be implemented. What would others think of this option!?

I'd say neither YAY nor NAY ..

I like both Sacred 1 and Diablo 3 ,

although I spent far more time with Sacred,

had about 18 or 19 characters @ level 216 in underworld.. (not counting those I deleted)

If a game has instant respec/reskill like Diablo 3 it needs proper end-game content for max level chars, which it has (sort of)

that's perhaps why both systems can work.

Even a mix is possible: Mythos for instance had respec, but only for low to mid level chars, and each respec got more expensive each time.

Grim Dawn has limited respec too, you can respec single skills, but not all stats, and it gets more expensive each time too

for unbended, I would have to know what the skill & combat art system is going to be like..

If it is like in Sacred, there will be no real skill tree wich means you can read a few runes and try out all spells anyway, then concentrate on something you like, plus exporting you char to open/SP like Knuckles mentioned..

personally, in Sacred I didn't miss respec cause you could even make use of broken chars as a mule, or a trader, etc..

rerolling a new char was fun, and didnt take too long either.

so, in unbended I won't miss respec either I guess, if the rest of the game is built around it in a way to compensate for that missing feature.

there's pro's and con's, somehow I'm glad the devs are going to decide and not me, because I like both options :P

Edited by Rotluchs
  • Like! 1

Torchlight has this respec potion and It made the game boring because you could try every skill there is at ONE time.

I remembered the Time in Sacred UW I Created:

FISTs-seraphim

BOW-seraphim

-Spear-seraphim

-PureBFGSera

-PureEnergyBoltSera

-TheHunterSeekerSera

etc.

Never got bored :)

I think I tried every type of Shadow Warrior (triple buff was fun but under powered) so a respec option would have reduced the number of level 100's I now have. Plus side to playing them all is the number of set parts/uniques I have stashed away for the future, and well, game was fun :)

• Like! 1

Aye for sure it would be something to think about! Especially when I do think back at the time when someone found out that 'Mystic Storm Lore' is of greater benefit to cristall skin than 'Mystic Storm Focus'. At that time my High Elf had been already very high level but as I always want to have the absolute best, I needed to start a new one. This, obviously, set me off a little because of the spent time with the other one and at that moment I had wished that there would be a reskill option at least for swapping this one skill.

So, yes, being able to swap, to reskill even just one or two could be interesting!

Reading all the posts here and getting some good ideas. I was kinda all or none before...but now after seeing all the points of view, and how respec has been handled in other games, I kinda get the feeling that they could have a lot of fun with this.

Like what if we are only allowed one or two or three during the entire life cycle...wouldn't this just add value to the game, kind of like saving a super power until it's really important to use it, but still having that super power if we need it?

:superman:

gogo

I like that Idea. But a better challenge would be : During levels 20-30 (The bracket in which the last skill is learned by a character. In most RPGs for that matter) we are given one chance to Reskill (Skills and stats).

For a Price though ;)

• Like! 1

The more I think about it, the more I believe a rare moment of a kind of or full respec could work...specially in a game that has unlimited levels.

It's the unlimited levels part that makes the respec have even more value, and would/ could kindle even more interest in a high level character...or perhaps even only allow respec at a certain uber level?

:)

gogo

But we do have a level cap. Its ether 200 or 205

Did they say that on the forums? Because the FAQ left it open to discussion as they said "We don't believe in level cutoffs". I would believe it's something higher than 205, but they throw in an experience wall that makes leveling impractical.