ReSpec in UnBended - Yay or Nay?

Oh, I'm fully with You, Rotluchs! A level cap is something which helps feeling to have achieved something!

So, beside the idea of adding a reskill option to high levels only, I'm fully for a level cap.

If there is no level cap, then maybe a respec where you get a chance every hundred levels or so to re roll (could associate a gold cost to it, pay more for full respec - though if gold is anything like Sacred's, after level 100 you have so much it is meaningless (unless you were a shopper)) would be nice, as back up for accidentally choosing pacifism over toughness (as an example).

I never got to the max cap in Sacred 2, I never felt limited by it though. Sure, it was easier to achieve online, so I guess a higher cap would be good for some of you, but 200 offline was enough for me. Limitless just means you play until you get bored, it may not happen as fast as if you achieve everything you want to gain, but it will happen. I played Age of Conan for 2 years in between Sacred visits, and I managed to get everything I wanted on my character, and though I had thought it was all I wanted, I realised that getting everything you want is a trap, as then you have nothing you want to do next. And boredom set in.

I loved Diablo 2 and only stopped cause I couldn't stand looking at it any more... sometimes its best to not love something to death.

Returning to Sacred 2 after 4 years feels like a new game, it certainly looks better. I have a better gpu than I did when I played it before, that is one factor. There is just so much detail in the game, can't wait to see the map in Unbended. Hope it runs on my pc...

Edited by colif
  • Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

They should implement it, insted of letting players, people do it instead, just isn't right and having another feature in the game won't hurt, the decision on respec belongs to you, as the decision to use saveeditor programs. That alone should justify why it should be into the game in the first place.

Meeting a genie that can grant you a wish is a very plausible quest end for an RPG. It rare, but it happens. For Unbended it will have to be once per game and have a vast selection list of other wishfulfilling options.

What about a very rare drop item/rune that lets you turn a used skillpoint back into an unused one?

• Like! 1

will there be skillpoints? who knows. me not.

Maybe you craft your level. the higher level the incredients are, the better your level?

Future is unclear, the bones shown nothin but the name of the game...

*haarrrrrrrr*

Edited by PowerPyxel
  • Like! 1

In The Witcher 2 there was a very long side quest that started in Chapter 1 and went all the way to the end. If you finished it, you had the option of using some kind of mystic power to wipe your talent tree clean and redistribute all the points.

In Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 there was a wishing well that you could drop gold in to get a reward (one time). The more gold, the better the reward. It didn't let you respec, but could give XP, a unique item, etc.

And of course in Titan Quest you could visit the Mystic NPC, who would charge gold for you to buy back skill points. The more skills you had bought back, the steeper the cost in gold.

• Like! 1

Diablo 2X added a one time full respec as a quest reward, one per difficulty level. They realized that players weren't getting the full playing experience trying to conserve all their skill points for higher skills. With this they could level lower skills to advance through the game then do a respec when they had their desired gear for their end game builds and re do skill allocation.

• Like! 1

Eitherway respec isn't over rated, I dont understand why the devs are so against it, its not like you cannot do it because they say no, we will do it thru the save editor wich will come up eventualy. Why not add it as a feature in the game instead of letting the players use third party programs.

Offtopic: Hey verocious :), still playing sacred2 ?

Edited by AngelShade

I dont understand why the devs are so against it,

It's because most of the general community here, from the beginning is from Sacred Underworld and Sacred 2.

Both those games had no respec, which was actually a big part of the HC community way back in the day.

Because of no respec and HC, it made for a much harder gaming experience, and every choice was valuable. It's why the German Devs don't want it, and most of us here from that original forum from Sacred International Forum are coming from that same background, where no respec and an absolute HC game is a part of our community experience.

When the game comes out, and people are in HC servers, I think people here are looking for a valuable long term commitment and game.

That's why trying to find a balance tween no respec, which was what Sacred series has in it's blood, or something new, a partial or compensatory respec, is being sought.

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

Meeting a genie that can grant you a wish is a very plausible quest end for an RPG. It rare, but it happens. For Unbended it will have to be once per game and have a vast selection list of other wishfulfilling options.

What about a very rare drop item/rune that lets you turn a used skillpoint back into an unused one?

See, this is awesome!

A great cmopromise tween the original dna of this game and a nod to the future.. .turning it into a delightful adventure is an amazing idea.

gogo

• Like! 1

will there be skillpoints? who knows. me not.

Maybe you craft your level. the higher level the incredients are, the better your level?

Future is unclear, the bones shown nothin but the name of the game...

*haarrrrrrrr*

heh, Power yer closer to anyone I know on what can possibly happen... possible to get a few devs drinking and talky at next party?

:drunkards:

gogo

• Like! 1

See, this is awesome!

A great compromise between the original dna of this game and a nod to the future.. .turning it into a delightful adventure is an amazing idea.

Well, it wont happen unless somebody goes out an tells the developers. So... get to it GoGo.

• Like! 1

Well one other thing to note is the Sacred games didn't "need" respec the same way other RPG's (with skill trees) might. Diablo 2 had skill trees, so players would hoard their skill points to avoid "wasting" them on low-level skills that would inevitably be outclassed by high level ones. This behavior was so ingrained in players that Blizzard went to great lengths to stop it, first adding skill synergies in v1.10 and then the limited respec reward.

A game like Sacred, on the other hand, has all Combat Arts available right from the start, and you decide how to power them up. It was really a brilliant idea now that I think about it. So if Unbended uses runes+regen timers or something similar, then the "need" for a respec system is diminished.

Edited by Flix

In The Witcher 2 there was a very long side quest that started in Chapter 1 and went all the way to the end. If you finished it, you had the option of using some kind of mystic power to wipe your talent tree clean and redistribute all the points.

In Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 there was a wishing well that you could drop gold in to get a reward (one time). The more gold, the better the reward. It didn't let you respec, but could give XP, a unique item, etc.

And of course in Titan Quest you could visit the Mystic NPC, who would charge gold for you to buy back skill points. The more skills you had bought back, the steeper the cost in gold.

I kind of more like setups like this. Not a completely, at-will respec...but an ingame driven functionality derived from work quest or achievement completion that allows some room for missteps, and doesn't make the game too easy, adding that extra loving worth to every minute I play it, and not to just seeing everything the game has as quickly as I can, just to get to the next game, from the next publisher.

gogo

See, this is awesome!

A great compromise between the original dna of this game and a nod to the future.. .turning it into a delightful adventure is an amazing idea.

Well, it wont happen unless somebody goes out an tells the developers. So... get to it GoGo.

Time to bring the Yay/Nay respect topic to UnBended then!

gogo

• Like! 1

IMHO, no-respec, Closed Net and HC were key components of what Sacred 2 great, and I imagine others would agree. So no-respec seems like a reasonable topic to discuss (though we do not know yet if re-spec will even be applicable to Unbended).

Well one other thing to note is the Sacred games didn't "need" respec the same way other RPG's (with skill trees) might. Diablo 2 had skill trees, so players would hoard their skill points to avoid "wasting" them on low-level skills that would inevitably be outclassed by high level ones. This behavior was so ingrained in players that Blizzard went to great lengths to stop it, first adding skill synergies in v1.10 and then the limited respec reward.

A game like Sacred, on the other hand, has all Combat Arts available right from the start, and you decide how to power them up. It was really a brilliant idea now that I think about it. So if Unbended uses runes+regen timers or something similar, then the "need" for a respec system is diminished.

This is true! I never thought about how trees would add to a need for a respec or not. And I'm in love with the regen timers. It's an completely new dimension added to builds, something that amped this game's builds, and which we could tweak with endlessly.

gogo

Some tidbits from the Unbended FAQ

Will the combat system be regulated by regeneration time (as in Sacred 1+2) or by the usage of “Mana” (as in Titan Quest, etc.)?

We like regeneration time. It’s almost like real life and in addition, easier to balance. The rules are also more clear to the gamer. So it’ll be more along the lines of regeneration time.

How does it look for a possibility to re-skill? Planned, rejected, open?

Definitely rejected.

So maybe respec won't be a huge deal if they go with regen timers

(though we do not know yet if re-spec will even be applicable to Unbended).

Really?

Is this at all possible?

Yes, its possible. PC stats are just regular integers.

1 You could flush all the stat integers into skill points though a simple script on any language.

2 You could apply a reverse skill rune (add -1 to skill point, subtract -1 from undistributed skills = reverse skill point)